AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 68 56.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 28.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 10.83%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.83%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-18, 05:49   Link #121
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I really hope you've played Clannad before you make statements like that...

After Story, the game's After Story, is paced similar to this, i.e. much faster than the School Life routes. Probably because a lot less happens in Tomoya's day to day life.
Well in his defense he did mention Key in the same breath as Kyoani though, so I guess he doesn't think too well of both.
Old 2009-01-18, 05:51   Link #122
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Based on GLH's post, probably not.

The studio is doing a textbook VN to anime adaptation similar to what they did with Air and Kanon, with the required edits here and there.

If you have an issue with the pacing, it's because of the game, not the series.
Old 2009-01-18, 06:35   Link #123
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Actually I said I was referring to GLH but... meh.
Old 2009-01-18, 07:45   Link #124
typhonsentra

Quote:
That wasn't what I meant...
Okay then.
Old 2009-01-18, 07:55   Link #125
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I seem to recall some couples that (usually because of religious dogma) only have close physical relations and sex for reproductive purposes. No other reason...ever. Not even as newlyweds if they could not yet afford a child.

Some people are just like that. Physical contact is "dirty" and "sinful" afterall. Very Victorian really. or Puritan even.
Old 2009-01-18, 13:53   Link #126
RandomFlameStrike

Heh you can find all ranges of the spectrum I guess.
Old 2009-01-18, 16:00   Link #127
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
I really hope you've played Clannad before you make statements like that...

After Story, the game's After Story, is paced similar to this, i.e. much faster than the School Life routes. Probably because a lot less happens in Tomoya's day to day life.

KyoAni is just following the game, although they are still cutting out a lot... but that has nothing to do with the pacing of the story.

There really isn't any other way they can do it...
I highly agree they made some harsh comments Clannd is by FAR superior in progression of story than in AIR or Kanon from KEY. The story is more solid and complex.
They showed enough of his day to day life without brinking on pointless. As mentioned before it isn't expanded upon in the story. What is there to really see? 0_0
Old 2009-01-18, 18:00   Link #128
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Though the pacing was fairly fast its nice to see so much progression in Clannad. Im always in favor of animes that take that extra mile. We have come a long way people from them barely knowing each other to marriage to them becoming parents i always enjoy seeing the after effect. Itazura na Kiss was one of my favorites because of the time they took to show the progression of Kotoko and Irie's relationship the final result was marriage and a baby that series did one of the best jobs iv seen in a long time in terms of progressing a story over the course of years.

The fact that Nagisa got up the courage to say that she had sex with Tomoya was just too damn funny. At least they got the time right for her pregnancy. When her and Tomoya are discussing her finding a job she said in a month a new family restaurant would be opening and now a month later she finds out she pregnant.

Sanae as i figured was the voice of reason she was a young mother herself so im sure she knows what Nagisa is going through. But to be such young parents i dont know how i feel about honestly neither of them have actually lived life they lived school life and are just entering the real world. Dont get me wrong im happy for them i love this kind of snappy crap i just question if they ready cultural difference or not immaturity is still immaturity.

The fact that Nagisa bluntly said her wish would be baby was a feat within its self for her to actually say it was outstanding. I noticed that Nagisa's health popped up a few times as well. If you think about it now is the best time health wise for her to have a child. Because we dont know if her health will get worse as she gets older making it harder to conceive a child. Either way nicely done episode especially all the things changing around them and Tomoya struggling to accept it. So in the end not only is Nagisa and Tomoya the first out of the group to get married but the first to have a child too. WOW
Old 2009-01-18, 23:57   Link #129
JPZ
Ninjin loves you, yeah!

Quote:
Although, in the game, the player is given the option...
i need to play more of the game

and yea great episode.
Old 2009-01-19, 14:37   Link #130
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Ahem, anyhow... this episode.... was freaking awesome. First of all, it had me really rofl from the first 30 seconds with the father-son thing, and the higurashi referance. Then, the sunglasses made me go doriiiiru. MC Akio was also very funny. Then the episode really grilled me and and burnt me with the Nagisa moeness (waitress uniform). Then, of course, there was the Nagisa's dropping THE BOMB. (゚Д゚) (゚Д゚) (゚Д゚) (゚Д゚). 私と智也くんは夫婦ですから...エッチなこともしちゃってます!Amazing, as Tomoya put it. And his expression all the while was hilarious too. Akio is like, you picked it up in a cabbage field? lol

Ahem, though this episode was epic, I was a bit disappointed by the lack of show of affection between the couple. Come on, at least a kiss scene before the assumed bed scene so we can at least deduce it happened after that. Jeez, how hard is it to put in a kiss scene, really? In truth, it doesn't really change my view of Clannad even if they do put such scenes or not, but it makes me wonder if the director is embarrassed in doing such scenes or something ^^; I mean, whatever the reasoning the director had, it still doesn't justify the lack of a single kiss in a romance anime =_=.

Last edited by Nochgo; 2009-01-19 at 22:33.
Old 2009-01-19, 15:04   Link #131
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Perhaps kissing scenes are considered DVD content? You want kissing, buy the DVDs, maybe?
Old 2009-01-19, 16:53   Link #132
Falcen7

Now that you mention it...it is a shame that there is no kiss scene in there somewhere.

Well, whatever, Nagisa and Tomoya are still one of my favorite anime couples!
Old 2009-01-19, 19:09   Link #133
Nerroth
NePoi!

I guess it might be interesting to compare how KyoAni might have done things had they decided to continue animating the Tomoyo arc, and gone into Tomoyo After (possibly drawing from the non-H PS2 version of the story) and seeing whether or not Tomoya and Tomoyo would have been shown to be more intimate on-screen than Tomoya and Nagisa are in AS...
Old 2009-01-19, 22:23   Link #134
Change of Pace
Shameless Zoro Fangirl

Throw me in the boat of uproar for romance if you wish, but personally, I can't focus on the episodes because I'm too caught up in the fact that KyoAni zapped any real romance between these two, and kept it just implied. I MISS THE HAREM, seriously. If they're together, then the audience should be given at least one kiss scene, no matter what quality, before being told that the next generation is on the way. WHAT THE F***.

That said, the Higurashi / Gurren Lagann parodies made the episode worth it as well as MC Akio YO.
Old 2009-01-19, 23:17   Link #135
king12354

Actually, if I haven't played the game, I might be more upset with the pacing. Even in the game when Nagisa said she had a baby, I was like "HUH? WHAT DID I MISS?!" But I think you guys will get over it, it isn't really a big deal and you'll get the meaning.

As for the relationship between Nagisa and Tomoya, I guess what Key and KyoAni tried to portray was that kisses do not show us the real romance between the two. Tomoya isn't with Nagisa because she's cute or Nagisa isn't with Tomoya because he's hot. It's that their love for one another is shown by them just being there for each other whether it's to climb that long hill, get on the stage to act, face a hated father; they support one another to get through their problems and I think that it shows their affection for one another more than what a kiss can ever show. All in all, I think that the producers didn't want to show that their relationship was a standard love affair but something much more that they, uh how do I say it without giving anything away? -_-

Anyway, you'll see.
Old 2009-01-20, 08:13   Link #136
darry

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
Actually, if I haven't played the game, I might be more upset with the pacing. Even in the game when Nagisa said she had a baby, I was like "HUH? WHAT DID I MISS?!" But I think you guys will get over it, it isn't really a big deal and you'll get the meaning.

As for the relationship between Nagisa and Tomoya, I guess what Key and KyoAni tried to portray was that kisses do not show us the real romance between the two. Tomoya isn't with Nagisa because she's cute or Nagisa isn't with Tomoya because he's hot. It's that their love for one another is shown by them just being there for each other whether it's to climb that long hill, get on the stage to act, face a hated father; they support one another to get through their problems and I think that it shows their affection for one another more than what a kiss can ever show. All in all, I think that the producers didn't want to show that their relationship was a standard love affair but something much more that they, uh how do I say it without giving anything away? -_-

Anyway, you'll see.
wow finally someone who understands it
Old 2009-01-20, 19:20   Link #137
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Well, no matter what anyone says and no matter the circumstances, I still think kiss is a good way to show affection, and there shouldn't be any reason to not have such a scene. I mean, I do understand that kisses aren't good indicator of the "strength" of affection between a couple, but there is no harm done in having a scene. It can only help, not belitte, our image of the couple.
Old 2009-01-21, 08:23   Link #138
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Considering that the Okazakis were shown as not particularly "physical" to begin with, I'd dare say what they have is this form of love, instead of the "impossibility" that a few others here see it as. Of course, I'd dare say just one or two scenes of them hugging or kissing wouldn't hurt either....although I like to think of it this way; give the two some privacy, lol.
Yeah, but the audience of a TV anime is innately voyeuristic. We wanna see things. I've never fully understood just why myself, but that's why you see romance fans talking at length about wanting to see the main couple kiss at the end of an anime. It's a pay-off of some sort.

Two comments about this episode. Akio disturbed me. Frequently. First with the rap session and second with him frequenting Nagisa's workplace to take pictures of her. "Eccentric" doesn't even begin to describe Akio.

Second, I agree with what others have said about a lack of displays of intimacy between Nagisa and Tomoya. On the one hand, you have this "pay off" phenomenon that I mentioned above, but I think the more important aspect of it is just pure storytelling. Klashikari said it. It's hard to picture. Clearly, it's all been happening off-camera. I mean, we know they've hugged, we know they've kissed, and we know now that they've had sex. But we haven't seen the hugs or the kisses for ourselves, so being told they've been having sex isn't just a bombshell, it's a tonne of bricks dropped on your back. I can't be the only one who had an initially skeptical reaction to the revelation. The evidence is there for all to see, obviously. But it does fly in the face of the "show, don't tell" approach to storytelling. If we've seen them at least hug or even kiss, I reckon it would have been much more instantly believable they were having sex.

The right to privacy is an interesting idea, and given the generally modest tone of Clannad and particularly Nagisa (I'd certainly suggest there's been far less modesty with how they've approached Kyou's sexuality, for example, but Kyou is a very different character to Nagisa), the Okazakis deserve their privacy for all things sexual. But, IMO, they've given up their privacy for everything else (ie, hugs and kisses) by being characters in a romance anime. As long as it isn't excessive, obviously, but I do think the audience has a right to see these things, one reason at the very least is because it aids the storytelling. (Another reason being that this is what people want to see).
Old 2009-01-21, 09:09   Link #139
Scary Zet

Have just watched the episode. That was extremely awesome, perfect! No words to describe my pleasure.

Someone mentioned it, and I have just realized, that KyoAni, indeed, can include some extra scenes into the DVD-version of the show. I hope they do so; maybe we'd get some "intimacy" between Nagisa and Tomoya shown there

Still reading this topic...
Old 2009-01-21, 09:34   Link #140
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Yeah, but the audience of a TV anime is innately voyeuristic. We wanna see things. I've never fully understood just why myself, but that's why you see romance fans talking at length about wanting to see the main couple kiss at the end of an anime. It's a pay-off of some sort.
It's really interesting that you brought up the voyeuristic nature of the audience, because it is exactly one of the things I've learned in the Theatre Studies module I took last year. If you want, I suppose I could go dig up the notes from that module, but eh, not much point even if I do so, it's all the same thing anyway. We're all voyeurs here.

Quote:
Two comments about this episode. Akio disturbed me. Frequently. First with the rap session and second with him frequenting Nagisa's workplace to take pictures of her. "Eccentric" doesn't even begin to describe Akio.
Hey, even so I don't think he's as bad as a certain Izumi Souichiro yet.
Closed Thread