AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-07-23, 11:34   Link #1
Phaint

Itachi mistake? *SPOILERS*

I have no idea how to make that spoiler button so that's why I put *Spoilers* in the topic so don't bitch at me if you read this and get shit spoiled...

This seems like a fucked up plot hole to me...

Uchiha Itachi was said to have graduated at 7, mastered Sharingan at 8, at 10 he became a Chuunin and at 13 he was leader of the Anbu squad. Sasuke said he was the same age as when brother graduated. That would make him 7 in this flashback. Sasuke is currently 12 for one and that would make Itachi 18+ using this logic.

This recent manga flashback however messed things up. In the flashback, the father said to Itachi who is in the anbu atm, "You have gotten this far in only half a year since you became a Chuunin"

That would make Itachi 10 1/2 since he became a Chuunin at 10. 2 days later he slaughters everyone.... When the hell did he have time to become the Anbu squad leader? By this logic he is only 3 1/2 years older than Sasuke which would make him 15 1/2 at this point which is about Haku's age or less. and Itachi STILL looks older than Haku.

I would back all this up by uploading pics from the manga and such but I am late for work as it is so... discuss =D
Phaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 11:46   Link #2
Zek
Eyebrows...

Nowhere did the manga say that it was only 2 days later. In Chapter 223, Sasuke was lying on the bed thinking back on things. Then he gets up and the repeat of That Day begins. It's never said how much time passes between the fireball training and the clan's slaughter,
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 11:56   Link #3
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Yeah, the only logical explanation is that the scene with Sasuke lying on his bed remembering the weird eyes of his brother happens about 2 years later the rest of the flashback.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 12:04   Link #4
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

To Phaint helping you solve your technical difficulties

To place SPOILER tags:

[ SPOILER ] INSERT TEXT [ /SPOILER ]

Without the spaces within the []
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 13:52   Link #5
PerniciousJuJu
Yummy kakashi thighs...

Send a message via AIM to PerniciousJuJu Send a message via MSN to PerniciousJuJu
all those numbers are messing up my mind. O_o;;

and maybe the reason why haku looks younger is because he looks like a girl? maybe he uses skin care? lol
PerniciousJuJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 13:57   Link #6
jbruns
Warez Kiddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerniciousJuJu
all those numbers are messing up my mind. O_o;;

and maybe the reason why haku looks younger is because he looks like a girl? maybe he uses skin care? lol
wrong thread no jutsu?
jbruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 14:01   Link #7
Uukog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbruns
wrong thread no jutsu?
Actually hes not in the wrong thread. Read Phaints post again...
Uukog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 14:24   Link #8
knubbe

There was also a time jump from the beginning from where Sasuke starts at the academy to when he gets his grades
knubbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 14:39   Link #9
PerniciousJuJu
Yummy kakashi thighs...

Send a message via AIM to PerniciousJuJu Send a message via MSN to PerniciousJuJu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uukog42
Actually hes not in the wrong thread. Read Phaints post again...
actually she's not in the wrong thread.
PerniciousJuJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 00:30   Link #10
Phaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zek
Nowhere did the manga say that it was only 2 days later. In Chapter 223, Sasuke was lying on the bed thinking back on things. Then he gets up and the repeat of That Day begins. It's never said how much time passes between the fireball training and the clan's slaughter,
He is asking himself "What were with brothers weird eyes?" 2 years later? Aside from the fact that 2 years later would make them look older and they look EXACTLY THE SAME as they did in the previous chapter? None of them aged a bit from these last couple of flashbacks so...

Itachi and his father also walked past each other without saying a word because they were obviously still upset from what happened the day before. Don't tell me "Oh they just kept on being mad at each other for 3+ years..."

There is no evidence saying time skipped between these couple of chapters in any way so don't try to deny this obvious plot hole.
Old 2004-07-24, 02:29   Link #11
Dez
Speshul

Send a message via AIM to Dez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint
He is asking himself "What were with brothers weird eyes?" 2 years later? Aside from the fact that 2 years later would make them look older and they look EXACTLY THE SAME as they did in the previous chapter? None of them aged a bit from these last couple of flashbacks so...

Itachi and his father also walked past each other without saying a word because they were obviously still upset from what happened the day before. Don't tell me "Oh they just kept on being mad at each other for 3+ years..."

There is no evidence saying time skipped between these couple of chapters in any way so don't try to deny this obvious plot hole.

Flashback within a flashback. Sasuke's lying down the morning of the Uchiha massacre remembering what's happened in the last two years. The 'evidence' that about two years have passed is when we see that familiar scene with his brother poking him on the forehead. Nevermind the whole death of the clan thing happening in the next chapter.

Edit: Oh and I'd have to go back and look but I thought Itachi looked slightly different in the first chapters(His eyes were a bit bigger methinks). Until there's something else that directly contradicts it, I have no problem assuming 1 1/2 -2 years have passed.

Last edited by Dez; 2004-07-24 at 02:40.
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 07:00   Link #12
Phaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
Flashback within a flashback. Sasuke's lying down the morning of the Uchiha massacre remembering what's happened in the last two years. The 'evidence' that about two years have passed is when we see that familiar scene with his brother poking him on the forehead. Nevermind the whole death of the clan thing happening in the next chapter.

Edit: Oh and I'd have to go back and look but I thought Itachi looked slightly different in the first chapters(His eyes were a bit bigger methinks). Until there's something else that directly contradicts it, I have no problem assuming 1 1/2 -2 years have passed.
So for 2 years Itachi and his father don't speak eh? That must have been pretty akward...

Another Problem is , he was 10 1/2 in the first flashback and 2 years would make him 12 1/2. He became Anbu leader at 13 and THEN killed everyone but it wasn't on the same day obviously so he had to be 13+. I am pretty sure if they have a 3 year time jump coming up that EVERYONE will look different because people age so they are drawn different.

True from the first day of school til he got his report cards, a bit of time passed but it was only a semester which would be a couple of months only.
Old 2004-07-24, 07:51   Link #13
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Semester = 6 months.
When Itachi kicked the ass of the members of the Police Force he was 11 years old.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 19:15   Link #14
psycoking
kyōki-ō

I didn't think there was a time skip, especially since through out the flashback neither Itachi or Sasuke seem to grow. I figured Kashimoto might have just ost track of the ages that he set down in earlier issues, so I went over the manga to check the numbers and see if I was right.

Here are the facts:

(from ch145 pg9 and ch224 pg10)
Itachi's age
-when graduated form the ninja academy = 7
-when he learned sharingan = 8

now here's the first discrepency:
-when he became a chuunin = 9 according to ch145 pg9, 10 according to ch224 pg10

it looks like Kashimoto did forget his numbers, but I kept going anyways:

Itachi's age when he became an Anbu captain = 13 (ch142 pg12)

Itachi's current age (from character data book) = 17

Sasuke's age:
-on "that" day = the same age as when his brother graduated = 7 (ch145pg9)

-when the series started = 12

-current age = 12/13

Ok, thats all in the manga. Now for some fun math:

current age different = 17 - 12/13 = 4 - 5 year difference

On "that" day Itachi had to at least be 13, since he became an ANBU captain at age 13. Sasuke was 7 at the time as pointed out before. So 13 - 7 = 6

Another discrepency? A 6 year difference in the flashback, but a 4-5 year difference currently. Well, given that its very unlikely that their birthdays land on the same day, we can account for this discrepency by assuming that currently sasuke is still 12 and Itachi is more than 5 years older than him but less than 6 years older than him (ie. itachi's 18th b-day will come before sasuke's 13th b-day making the age differentce 6 years for some small amount of time). That means we can assume there is no mistake ages at the end of the flashback (7 & 13).

Ok, lets go deeper.

Itachi became an ANBU member 6 months after he became a chuunin (ch220pg15). Sasuke's report card and the Shisui incident happened 6 months after that (ch221pg10 ("semester") & ch222pg12 ("half a year")), or 1 year after he became a chuunin.

If Itachi became a chuunin at age 9, as it states in ch145, then when he entered the ANBU he was somewhere between the ages of 9.5 - 10 and when he killed shisui he was between 10 - 10.5.

If Itachi became a chuunin at age 10, as it states in ch224, then when he entered the ANBU he was somewhere between the ages of 10.5 - 11 and when he killed shisui he was between 11 - 11.5.

Sasuke's corrisponding ages (Itachi - 5) at those times are 4.5-5 & 5-5.5 (chuunin at 9) or 5.5-6 & 6-6.5 (chuunin at 10).

So inorder for Itachi to be 13 on that date there would have to be either a 1.5-2 or 2.5-3 year jump within the flashback sub-arc. A jump of that size would place Sasuke around 8 years of age. Since Itachi a little more than 5 years older than him, sasuke should still be 7 at the end of the flashback, just as the manga says.

Sadly, all the numbers seem to pan out, and there is no major discrepency in ages between the flashback and the current arcs, meaning that a jump within the flashback is highly possible. I still think that Kashimoto got the numbers messed up and didn't figure it out until around after he sent ch. 222 to press. Maybe that's why there's a discrepency in ch 145 and 224 for when he bacame a chuunin, Kashimoto might have just fuged a few numbers as a quick fix (then again it could just be that my translation for 145 got it wrong - some one check this for me). My main reason for thinking this is that if Sasuke is not supposed to be near as good as his btother was at his age, why did Itachi enter the academy at age 6, but Sasuke enter at age 5?
psycoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 19:36   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Wow, a bit obsessive there it seems. Anyway this isnt' a big deal. Does it really effect the story much if Sasuke and Itachi's ages are a little screwed up?
Old 2004-07-24, 19:47   Link #16
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Wow, a bit obsessive there it seems. Anyway this isnt' a big deal. Does it really effect the story much if Sasuke and Itachi's ages are a little screwed up?
I agree.. and all the numbers are making my head hurt .
Dauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 20:44   Link #17
psycoking
kyōki-ō

I had some time to kill, so I killed it good. Besides it only took a few minutes to add it all up (though much longer to write it all down)
psycoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 21:19   Link #18
Phaint

Also...

Sasuke was 7 on "that day" so if there was a good 3 year time skip like many state, that would make him 4 when he started the flashback when they stated Itachi was 10 1/2.

4... yet he looks exactly the same as when he is 7...
Old 2004-07-25, 05:25   Link #19
tramadrama
Jaice Novak's Disciple

Here's something hilarious...It's funny how there can be a legend in reality. You could say that "So and so" did this at this age, and "so and so" did that at that age. And as the years progress, the story changes. Kind of like that game telephone. Every time someone adds to the legend, the legend gets more skewd. But when you apply this logic to anime/manga, it is automatically counted as illogical or inconsistant.
tramadrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-25, 06:49   Link #20
Anthriel
天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint
Also...

Sasuke was 7 on "that day" so if there was a good 3 year time skip like many state, that would make him 4 when he started the flashback when they stated Itachi was 10 1/2.

4... yet he looks exactly the same as when he is 7...
Well ... it's not like Itachi's appearance changed at all in the course of seven years, why should Sasuke's appearance change in three years? ^^;
Anthriel is offline   Reply With Quote