AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2008-10-08, 21:38   Link #661
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin Ansem View Post
Are we talking Zero no Tsukaima bad? because I have truly DESPISED all three OPs from that show.
Much much worse
Old 2008-10-08, 21:47   Link #662
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Enjoyed ep2 even more than ep1. Fortunately I haven't read the novels, so I can't be offended by changes. Bit of a downer to see all the complaints, but I'm enjoying the show anyway. The characters are not one-dimensional and the plot doesn't drag.

Personally, I'm not at all a fan of the Shana series, and even less of ZnT, so the further this can get from either of those, the better, for me.
Spoiler for ep2:
With the talk about writers, I thought I'd mention that the lead writer on this show is Okada Mari, who did true tears, Sketchbook, and Kodomo Jikan, and is doing Vampire Knight and Kuroshitsuji as well this season. I don't believe she has ever done a show for J.C. Staff before.

As far as I'm aware, the director, writer, and producers sit down at the beginning and decide the general plot and shape of the show, including the number of episodes (this depends in part on the market, etc.) and the lead writer writes the overall story, then divvies it up among episode writers who actually write the lines.

I expect the producers have the final say in how long a series is, and even in the general pacing, so J.C. Staff can change writers or directors and still do similar things. Apologies if I've mentioned any of this before in this thread.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 21:55   Link #663
Orophin

Quote:
Are we talking Zero no Tsukaima bad? because I have truly DESPISED all three OPs from that show.
See for yourself...
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 22:01   Link #664
Clarste
Human

As someone who read the translated novels, the only real complaint I have with the episode is that they used the PE scene rather than the lunch scene, which was pretty much the same thing only better (less zany scheme and more "hey, don't those two seem kinda close recently?").

Yeah, it was a bit rushed, but drawing out the first novel would probably be a bad idea. Especially since if they'd made it three episodes it would've been negatively affected in the opposite direction, and likely much worse.

Well, it remains to be seen what they'll do in the future, but they certainly aren't butchering it so far.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 22:25   Link #665
typhonsentra

I predict they'll use small scenes like that to pad later episodes. That's one of those scenes that's interchangeable and can be placed at any point in the series. They did it quite a bit in Shana.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 22:31   Link #666
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
Well, it's bad, but the ZnT OPs are still 100 times worse.

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Sin Ansem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 22:54   Link #667
typhonsentra

I liked Toradora's OP and loved I Say Yes from ZnT season 2. Something wrong with me?
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 23:15   Link #668
UPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I predict they'll use small scenes like that to pad later episodes. That's one of those scenes that's interchangeable and can be placed at any point in the series. They did it quite a bit in Shana.
I agree with this point. Those scenes that could be animated. The probability there going to do that is not great ,but not out of the question.
Old 2008-10-08, 23:15   Link #669
Avisch
Reality Blender

I like Toradora's OP. Im indifferent to Zero no Tsukaima's openings (or the show in general).
The opening theme is cute, whats wrong with that? (*braces self for flamming comments*)
I think Im going to enjoy the anime. I better start reading the novels though (I should have as soon as I read 6 chapters of the manga in a row))

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 23:34   Link #670
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Something wrong with me?
Not at all. People have different tastes. Some people like this OP, some people question if this is music, etc.
Personally, Zero no Tsukaima's 1st and 2nd OP were decent to a degree, and 3rd OP is bad. All three ED are trash.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 23:57   Link #671
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
The opening theme is cute, whats wrong with that? (*braces self for flamming comments*)
No flames, no.

But the way I see it...erm, hear it:

1) Generic to the core. Absolutely no inspiration whatsoever.
- generic cutesy voice
- definitely "throwaway production studio music"
- generic "heavy" percussion that fails to excite; like Shana's OP's and ED's tend to be *casts flameshield*

2) Horrid editing, timing
- those parts where the lyrics go really really fast and out of rhythm? Yeah. And it's not for any artistic experimentation either, just plain bad edit.
- awkwardly applied techno effects

But really, it isn't all that bad, not "burn it with fire" or anything. I personally just find it uninspired, which is essentially what a lot of anime OP and ED songs are, once you take off the otaku-tinted lens that is.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 00:29   Link #672
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

The opening is decent.. unlike another show which is currently airing. (The one where the studio decided to become a little click-happy on the stroke of the credits. While they're at it, why don't they increase the stroke a little bit more).
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 00:54   Link #673
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
I liked the ZnT OPs, so I'd say no.

Quote:
Well, it's bad, but the ZnT OPs are still 100 times worse.
Urm...no. You can't get any worse than the Toradora OP theme. Period. The creator of that song needs to be banned from song-making. Ever again. And if you can say otherwise, you need to get your ears checked. >.> My brain was so damaged by that song that I couldn't think clearly enough to turn it off until it was already over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
The opening is decent.. unlike another show which is currently airing. (The one where the studio decided to become a little click-happy on the stroke of the credits. While they're at it, why don't they increase the stroke a little bit more).
And the Akane-Iro OP theme is cool too.
Old 2008-10-09, 00:59   Link #674
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
And the Akane-Iro OP theme is cool too.
But you gotta admit, those credits don't match the theme at all.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 01:43   Link #675
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
But you gotta admit, those credits don't match the theme at all.
True. But I am only talking about the music. Quite frankly though, I don't think the way the credits are displayed should make or break an OP in the first place. I just ignore the credits and focus on the main visuals and song.....and while Toradora is fine on the first part, it utterly fails on the second. I'll be risking pulminary heart failure if I hear that thing again. >.>
Old 2008-10-09, 02:11   Link #676
Avisch
Reality Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
No flames, no.

But the way I see it...erm, hear it:

But really, it isn't all that bad, not "burn it with fire" or anything. I personally just find it uninspired, which is essentially what a lot of anime OP and ED songs are, once you take off the otaku-tinted lens that is.
None of your points are wrong.
That pretty much sums it up how I feel. I can accept it as uninspired (and the techno effects are weird).
You are 100% right on the Shana music (I facepalmed when they used JOINT as a Insert during a very very slow moment).

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 03:42   Link #677
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

I think I've made it pretty clear that I'm a novel reader (plus I read them in the original Japanese) and that I approve of the pacing. It seems that mostly its the manga purists that disapproves, but then again the manga isn't the original work so whatever.

Also just because the next episode looks like original work (actually I think it looks more like they moved a later episode forward) does not mean it is filler. It is not a logical argument and it is not based upon any rational reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Oh and nemo...
Spoiler for latter novels:
Spoiler:
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 03:55   Link #678
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
I liked Toradora's OP and loved I Say Yes from ZnT season 2. Something wrong with me?
I thought that "I Say Yes" was a pretty good op lol... loved the version playing in the last episode of znt2...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 04:18   Link #679
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
houkoholic, the original episode has all the probabilities to be a filler. Unless ofcourse they would rewrite a lot of stuff from the original source to fill in the developments from the original episode, but usually no one bothers with that. Original anime episodes are just fillers having no importance to overall character development nor having any importance to the main plot UNLESS the script writers mix it with the original source plot, but almsot never happens, so I think this is a rather reasonable argument. It is not 100% sure but lets say it have very very high possibility of turning into filler because script writers do rarely try to import into the original source plotline the anime original plot, unless it would deal with original source scenes to begin with.

Spoiler for spoiler:

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2008-10-09 at 04:29.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 04:19   Link #680
Yushi

This episode is so cute! I loved how Taiga got soft, I didn't like it when she's all pissy and violent.
so glad that I didn't read the novels~ ^.^ The op song didn't really click with me, but I really liked the ed song! Umbrellas! <3
Yushi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen