AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-04-25, 18:48   Link #24521
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperk View Post
I agree with you except for one point. I'm not a SubaTea fan (my ship with Teana is EXTREMELY odd, so I'll not even point it out), and since the beginning of the fic I got that vibe. Though, as Dezo pointed out, it could be bias speaking about relantionship vs. romantic relantionship.
Extremely odd, eh? Sniperk, you do realise you have to tells us now, right?

Anyways, I said it was easy for anyone to make that conclusion, it's just even easier for SubaTea fans to see what they want. It basically boils down to "Both Subaru and Teana are single, and are now on good terms with each other", thus leaving the possibility of them hooking up open. The only real way to solve this is to have either Subaru or Teana (maybe both) in romantic relationships with other people when they meet up again.
Old 2010-04-25, 18:56   Link #24522
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
I do. And I will. Someday when I get down to write the fic about it.

Quote:
Anyways, I said it was easy for anyone to make that conclusion, it's just even easier for SubaTea fans to see what they want. It basically boils down to "Both Subaru and Teana are single, and are now on good terms with each other", thus leaving the possibility of them hooking up open. The only real way to solve this is to have either Subaru or Teana (maybe both) in romantic relationships with other people when they meet up again.
Even then it isn't certain. (Again, the bias speaking louder in my ear)
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 19:10   Link #24523
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
I'd like to point out that Subaru was in fact in a romantic relationship with a girl named Dawn, and they'd been together for quite awhile; though they broke up when Subaru went to visit Teana because of misunderstandings, and I doubt Subaru would go back to her. And besides, after a divorce I can't see Teana as the type to go back into a relationship until some time has passed, since the divorce seems to be relatively recent in the epilogue.
Old 2010-04-25, 19:19   Link #24524
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

I know, but still. The only way I think that the ending could have given the vibe of "Teana and Subaru become friends again, but nothing more" is if one of them were dating some one else.
Old 2010-04-25, 19:27   Link #24525
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
I know, but still. The only way I think that the ending could have given the vibe of "Teana and Subaru become friends again, but nothing more" is if one of them were dating some one else.
And the problem with going that route was that there was no way it could have worked. I highly doubt Subaru would go back to someone who thought she was cheating when she just wanted to see a friend, and IMO for Teana the divorce was still too fresh. Besides, who says they won't date other people after? In the end it's all up to interpretation.
Old 2010-04-25, 19:43   Link #24526
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
In the end it's all up to interpretation.
You're right, it is and I have no problem with that. However, deathcurse's intent was for Teana to get neither of them, so she kind of failed to get that feeling across.
Old 2010-04-25, 19:48   Link #24527
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
You're right, it is and I have no problem with that. However, deathcurse's intent was for Teana to get neither of them, so she kind of failed to get that feeling across.
I personally felt Deathcurse did a great job getting that feeling across. In the end it isn't something she can control; the ending is what it is based off the interpretation of the people who read it. She has no control over that. To say she "failed" at something when it all comes down to how people interpret it is hardly a valid argument.
Old 2010-04-25, 20:38   Link #24528
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

But there are ways to control how a reader interprets things, as well as ways to leave no room for interpretation. Like, maybe Teana joined the St Church and took of a vow of celibacy? That would certainly qualsh any couple potential
Old 2010-04-25, 20:41   Link #24529
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
But there are ways to control how a reader interprets things, as well as ways to leave no room for interpretation. Like, maybe Teana joined the St Church and took of a vow of celibacy? That would certainly qualsh any couple potential
And why would she do that?

The problem is that there is no reason for Teana and Subaru to be in relationships at this point; absolutely none. It's not important to the characters, or to the story itself. There's no reason for Teana to take a vow of celibacy, unless you want to imply that her marriage with Vice got so bad that she never wanted sex again.
Old 2010-04-25, 20:42   Link #24530
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I dunno... there any proof that the Saint Church requires such vows?
Old 2010-04-25, 20:48   Link #24531
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

It was just a joke to lighten the mood >_<

Considering how it's stated that the Saint Church is a flexible religion, I doubt they'd require such vows.
Old 2010-04-25, 20:51   Link #24532
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
It was just a joke to lighten the mood >_<

Considering how it's stated that the Saint Church is a flexible religion, I doubt they'd require such vows.
You still really have to consider the implications, even with a joke like that. I mean, having her take any vow of abstinence means that Vice was so bad in bed that she didn't want anymore sex.
Old 2010-04-25, 21:53   Link #24533
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
You still really have to consider the implications, even with a joke like that. I mean, having her take any vow of abstinence means that Vice was so bad in bed that she didn't want anymore sex.
Or maybe he was so amazing it totally blew her mind, so she's too scared to have sex again
Old 2010-04-25, 21:57   Link #24534
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Weird question here....

A while ago I did a ficlet where Syn was dressed in a boy's uniform and girls were fawning over her.... Does anyone know what story that was or what I could search for to find it? I've tried several different words that I remember but no luck T_T
I believe you're looking for this: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=23714
Old 2010-04-25, 22:00   Link #24535
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *hugs*
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 22:01   Link #24536
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Alright, I did a bit of fiddling, and wrote up a new section that will hopefully get rid of some of the vagueness .

It's a flashback scene, and I copied the scene right before it to give it some context ^^.
Spoiler for New scene in Long Time No See:

I also tweaked the ending .
Spoiler for New ending:

Hopefully, it'll give a different perspective on Subaru and Teana's interaction , and push that friendship angle more...
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 22:17   Link #24537
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Alright, I did a bit of fiddling, and wrote up a new section that will hopefully get rid of some of the vagueness .

It's a flashback scene, and I copied the scene right before it to give it some context ^^.

Spoiler for New ending:

Hopefully, it'll give a different perspective on Subaru and Teana's interaction , and push that friendship angle more...
Heh, I like. The interaction between Alto and Teana is very nice, friendly but at times a little awkward, which is really what you would expect considering what point Teana is at with her life at this moment. It's also very sweet to see how uncertain she is about seeing Subaru; that she wants to see her, but at the same time she knows things will be different because they've both changed. It's also nice to see her acknowledge that yes, she messed up, and she should have had the guts.

And on the ending.... personally, I like it, but either way I think you're going to have no choice over how people interpret the ending. It's just something that will happen regardless of what you do either way.
Old 2010-04-25, 22:20   Link #24538
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Quote:

Spoiler for New ending:

Spoiler for Comments:

Edit:

Quote:
And on the ending.... personally, I like it, but either way I think you're going to have no choice over how people interpret the ending. It's just something that will happen regardless of what you do either way.
I got to agree with RB here. Heck, all my comments were my interpretations on it. Just pick what you feel is the right one and stick with it.
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 22:26   Link #24539
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:

Spoiler for New ending:

The scene with Alto is nice *nods* Good addition.

The added line to the ending... hmm... I dunno, if anything I think it makes the possibility of Subaru falling for her again even more valid since Teana had to stop and consider it. I think you should emphasize that it was just a joke and they both understand it won't actually happen.

But now that I look at it again, having the narrator say "maybe they could have a better friendship this time around" does a good job of emphasizing the friendship part, since it's basically Voice of God. Maybe adding "even though they won't be anything more" would be good.
Old 2010-04-25, 22:26   Link #24540
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

EDIT: I utterly cannot believe how much changed since I started typing up this post! I swear, I got ninja'd by eight posts including an updated version of the story I'm commenting about! *facepalm*

Quote:
Oh, yeah--add me to that list! You can't go dropping hints like that, Sniperk!

Quote:
Quote:
I'd like to point out that Subaru was in fact in a romantic relationship with a girl named Dawn, and they'd been together for quite awhile; though they broke up when Subaru went to visit Teana because of misunderstandings, and I doubt Subaru would go back to her. And besides, after a divorce I can't see Teana as the type to go back into a relationship until some time has passed, since the divorce seems to be relatively recent in the epilogue.
(She also had another romantic relationship with another girl before Dawn.) Noted, however, that it isn't necessary to hook either one of them up with one of their previous lovers (Vice or Dawn). Just that in the year and a half since the two of them broke up with their existing relationships, either could have gotten involved in a long-term, committed relationship. No need for them to go back to someone else.

Quote:
And the problem with going that route was that there was no way it could have worked. I highly doubt Subaru would go back to someone who thought she was cheating when she just wanted to see a friend, and IMO for Teana the divorce was still too fresh. Besides, who says they won't date other people after? In the end it's all up to interpretation.
Quote:
I personally felt Deathcurse did a great job getting that feeling across. In the end it isn't something she can control; the ending is what it is based off the interpretation of the people who read it. She has no control over that. To say she "failed" at something when it all comes down to how people interpret it is hardly a valid argument.
See, the problem here is that deathcurse's author's note indicated that she was trying very strongly for an open-ended resolution (a sort of "life-goes-on" ending) in which Teana ends up with neither Vice nor Subaru. Basically, she (Tea) was indecisive, didn't understand or properly confront her own feelings for either of them, and ended up with neither one. Maybe she was commitment-shy, or maybe she, ultimately, wasn't really and truly in love with either of them. Subaru (Story 1 and 3) leaves Tea because Subaru wasn't ready to wait around for someone who didn't have anything for her. Vice (Story 3) explicitly said that he was, but eventually got tired of giving more than he was receiving in the relationship...

But the problem is that things are open to interpretation. Consider the following:

Spoiler for Stuff driving my interpretation:

So what I bring away from it is the impression that Subaru never fell out of love with Teana, despite the separation, and that Tea wants to start over because this time she intends to respond to Subaru's feelings instead of stringing her along, never confronting them.

I'd also like to emphasize here that I come away with that ending not as a SubaTea shipper. On the contrary, that isn't a pairing that I like--mainly because I don't like tsundere romantic leads; Teana and Subaru being a manzai duo type of friendship works for me, but Subaru and Tea being a romantic pair leaves me cold. So it's definitely not wishful thinking (though the opposite may apply--the "please don't let it be SubaTea, please don't let it be SubaTea, please don't let it be--aw crap, it is!" I won't exonerate myself from that possibility!).

So how to fix it (if deathcurse decides that she wants to do so)?

Spoiler for Suggestions for changes:

Oh, and on another matter--I'd just like to say that I loved Wendi and Nove's playfulness. Wendi is the kind of girl who strikes me that she'd be silly like that right until her senior-citizen years, and the kind of relationship she and Nove has seems like the kind that just doesn't change over time even as they grow up. So I didn't find that strange or unusual at all.

Pageclaim for enthusiastic, multi-party discussions of fanfiction!

Last edited by DezoPenguin; 2010-04-25 at 22:32. Reason: Totally ninja'd there!
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha