AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 3 8.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 16.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 32.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 18.92%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 16.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 5.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2015-04-06, 23:11   Link #41
Yamato Nadeshiko
Banned

I noticed that it seems Kyon is planning to quit the club.
Old 2015-04-06, 23:24   Link #42
Utsuro no Hako

The series can't be taking place in the exact same universe as the movie since (A) the film was set the week before Christmas while this seems to be a bit earlier in December, and (B) this Kyon appears to have been hanging out in the clubroom for quite a while, whereas in the movie he only showed up there after the plot kicked in. This is kinda like one of those Evangelion spinoffs which reimagines the characters in a different setting that's kind of related to the original but isn't really.
Old 2015-04-07, 02:17   Link #43
ookamigirl

It was nice to see familiar faces again.
That Nagato sure is a shy girl.
Seeing her at the focus of things was nice.
Kyon - Nagato situation was very interesting.
There's light fun from time to time too.
Still... think I'm gonna skip this.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2015-04-07, 09:57   Link #44
com_gwp

I thought I was prepared, but I wasn't. Seeing Nagato act like a moeblob, seeing the overt romcom bend of the show, and hearing Minori strain her voice to bring emotion into a forced flat voice - that's some inception shit there - I just keep getting reminded of the original show, and getting upset at everything in general.

I know it's Nagato Yuki, not Haruhi Suzumiya - heck I've even read most of the manga since the beginning, and that was mostly inoffensive! - but it's impossible not to compare to before. (And let's not forget the constant callbacks - Asakura humming Hare Hare Yukai, Kyon and his acute observations to the original series.) I need to give myself some time before I try this again.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2015-04-07 at 10:11.
Old 2015-04-07, 10:24   Link #45
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

To be honest, it was just really bad. I means it probably will work somewhat if it's an original cast. But here character design is one, but everyone was also felt so out of character even in alternative universe standard. Nagato is obvious. But even Kyon, Ryoko, and especially Tsuruya.

And considering half of what made the original Haruhi good in the first place was Kyon thoroughly narrative (and all of his creative and sarcastic remark). While in this case, apparently narrative came mostly from Nagato. Made me wondering why didn't they just make an original series instead if everything made the Haruhi franchise good in the first place was replaced

Maybe i was just expecting something else, but a it's a real let down.
Old 2015-04-07, 11:29   Link #46
Tranhieu

It was a nice 1st episode if I treat this as a stand alone anime without any relation to the Haruhi franchise. Nagato's voice is a bit weird though, reminds me of Chiaki in Minami-ke and Renge in Non non biyori. Her interaction with Asakura was very well done as well, something I enjoyed seeing the most this episode.

Definitely a keeper.
Old 2015-04-07, 14:09   Link #47
sayde

At first glance, this episode sort of felt like a mix between Rock Lee & His Ninja Pals meets a Clannad alternate universe story or Amigami plot with the main difference being that the main character is not quite the same main character we've come to know.
So as an anime only viewer of the Haruhi franchise, I want to say that I liked this for what it is and will probably keep tuning in every week just cause...why not? I appreciate the change in art style since it helps drive home the point that this really is an alternate reality spin off that shouldn't be too heavily compared with the KyoAni series.

Now at the risk of being roasted alive by Kyon x Nagato shippers, is a series like this really so satisfying to watch when Nagato only seems to be Nagato by name and appearance? I mean I know there are some similarities personality-wise. But I'd say the differences are far more apparent. And I can't help but think that I'd be pretty irked if I was a die-hard Nagato fan myself.

Last edited by sayde; 2015-04-08 at 14:29.
Old 2015-04-07, 16:07   Link #48
Dop
Mmmm....

I enjoyed it. Not read the manga so no idea what direction this is going in, but human/Nagato is a more endearing character than alien/Nagato, if only because there is more actual character there.
Old 2015-04-07, 17:41   Link #49
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

I don't like it.
I don't like this Nagato.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

Old 2015-04-07, 17:53   Link #50
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I personally don't like it because I'm a Haruhifag and there wasn't nearly enough Haruhi here.

Seriously speaking, Yuki just bores the heck out of me. Asakura, Mikuru, and Tsuruya are all way more interesting, but then again I never was into the Ayanami Rei type in the first place. Doesn't help that it's only Yuki who is so OOC so she sticks out like a sore thumb. Ironically, even with a different personality, she still doesn't catch my attention; half the episode was memorable because of Tsuruya and Asakura getting into the competition and took over their spots.

(And what was that, where Asakura was liking Yuki to a childhood friend character? As someone who has dedicated his entire internet life shipping osananajimi, Yuki doesn't ooze even one ounce of what childhood friends is about. Some characters gives off the feeling that they are the osananajimi heroine even though they technically aren't, but Yuki isn't one of them. So yeah, I'm a bit miffed at that as well... >_>)

Oh yeah, is this Gotou-san's single anime for the year?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2015-04-07, 18:08   Link #51
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quite a bit of negative reactions here, not a big surprise since it's considered to be in the same universe as the movie's Nagato.

That said, I don't have many issues with this universe. I went in thinking it'd be a lot more corny going in, like how the Haruhi-chan anime was, so I had some good, light-hearted fun. I won't deny I already miss mysterious Nagato, but this is an alternate universe and I've accepted that. The designs actually don't feel too strange either, except for Tsuruya. What happened to you Tsuruya?!

My main complaint would be the sort of filler stuff they put in with Tsuruya and Asakura in the middle of the episode. I quite liked the bits with Nagato and Kyon at the beginning and end much better. It's also a bit weird seeing Nagato act more open and bubbly, considering the movie's alternate persona of her was portrayed as more emotional, but still much too shy to even speak or hold hands with Kyon. This Nagato gets shy, but given the situation, she would probably be quite a bit more daring. Didn't really read the manga, so I'm not sure why they changed her so much from the movie.
Old 2015-04-07, 18:28   Link #52
revive4563

Normally I don't watch this kind of things but...
I can't help but watch this since Harihi's disappearance movie was toooo good.
I hope the later episodes have more serious mood. It would be much better than moe comedy.
Old 2015-04-07, 19:44   Link #53
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

More or less this is in the spirit of Haruhi-chan. I could see similar situations happening from the later novels in a Haruhi-chan fashion, though with Nagato as the center of the attention (though the plot could be driven by any of them, as I would never, ever count out Haruhi from being Haruhi).
Old 2015-04-07, 23:47   Link #54
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

In this episode of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Nagato Yuki-chan ...

- The artwork ... gods, it is weird not seeing everyone portrayed in the usual Kyoani style. It's like watching the Haruhi-verse as filmed in soft-touch ... no ... it's like someone decided to make their own soft-touch filter by taking a regular camera lens and smearing Vaseline all over it.
- The comedy ... reminds me of Haruhi-chan. It really is as if Achakura was no longer chibi-fied.

Overall, it's ... uh ... cute? Yeah, we'll go with cute. Sadly, it's having a tough competition for my attention with K-ON! - The Next Generation ... I mean ... Hibike! Euphonium; and that's not really a good thing. I really feel like I should like this show more than I do; I mean, I liked the manga but ... eh ... I'll give it another episode.
Old 2015-04-08, 00:39   Link #55
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Give it the standard three or four episodes. Never know what will turn up in a show based on Haruhi Suzumiya.
Old 2015-04-08, 04:21   Link #56
Draco Spirit

It's cute as hell if nothing else!

It does seem a very different show to the original and I think that is turning people of.. but it's dam sweet. The question is will it continue the root of pure sweetness of none consequence or go into plot arcs?
Old 2015-04-08, 05:39   Link #57
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
The series can't be taking place in the exact same universe as the movie since (A) the film was set the week before Christmas while this seems to be a bit earlier in December, and (B) this Kyon appears to have been hanging out in the clubroom for quite a while, whereas in the movie he only showed up there after the plot kicked in. This is kinda like one of those Evangelion spinoffs which reimagines the characters in a different setting that's kind of related to the original but isn't really.
Well while (A) is a good point in a sense, take note of the following things.

(1) We don't know the exact date yet of EP1.
(2) For all we know Kyon (and everyone else's) memories may have been altered.

We could still be in the alternate universe "created by Nagato", and we cannot really depend on their "past memories".
Old 2015-04-08, 06:22   Link #58
Jaden

So they took the popular character, distilled all the moe out of her and from that, made a slice of life anime? Boring.

Then again Haruhi started the same way, but turned out rather deep and one of my favourite anime of all time. Maybe this anime is doing the same thing, giving false impressions on purpose as a homage.
Old 2015-04-08, 12:18   Link #59
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I don't know what to make of this. Is it just a slice of life spin-off merely inspired by Haruhi (and the Disappearance universe in particular) or will it actually have some sort of plot connected to the main series? I usually like going into shows blind, but the problem here is that everything branded with the Haruhi name is doomed to be met with a certain set of expectations. I would liked to know if I should have these expectations or just forget about them entirely and enjoy this as just another slice of life.

On its own, that was actually pretty good. Super moe heroine, snarky main character and fun secondary characters.
Old 2015-04-08, 13:14   Link #60
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Go in with no expectations of having connections to the main series. That way, if any show up, you can be amazed or confused.