AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-05-03, 09:17   Link #301
wingman32x

Watched episode 5, and it was pretty good. Satou got shafted again, I really feel sorry for him. And I liked how everybody covered for Takanashi. That was pretty nice. Inami is still really cute and a surprising (At least to me) amount of time has been focused on Takanashi and Inami. Romance maybe? I thought Poplar was going to be the main focus, but that's not the case so far.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 13:37   Link #302
Joachim
et tu, brute?

i was quite late to watch Working!! 4 episodes have been hanging in my harddisk without being watched, and just marathon the whole lot while waiting for episode 5 to finish downloading.

Man this is one hella funny with eccentric strange characters (almost every one of them are strange in a good way), i can't stop watching.

My favourite would be inami, girl who act the opposite way of how she feel always gets me, awww inamii moeeeee
Old 2010-05-03, 16:32   Link #303
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
Watched episode 5, and it was pretty good. Satou got shafted again, I really feel sorry for him. And I liked how everybody covered for Takanashi. That was pretty nice. Inami is still really cute and a surprising (At least to me) amount of time has been focused on Takanashi and Inami. Romance maybe? I thought Poplar was going to be the main focus, but that's not the case so far.
I'm also a little surprised to see Inami get so much development compared to Poplar. Not that I'm complaining, since she's my favourite character here. It was nice to see them working without Takanashi around, it looks like he's already become an indispensable member of the team.

Hmm, still no sign of the glasses girl from the OP, and next week is all about the Takanashi sisters apparently.
Old 2010-05-03, 17:01   Link #304
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Hmm, still no sign of the glasses girl from the OP
I'm expecting to see her in the later half of the series. Best time to introduce a new coworker.

As for Inami, she's pretty much just a raging tsundere now, which i like very much.
Old 2010-05-03, 17:57   Link #305
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm really not feeling any more love for Inami - still the weakest point in the series for me. Not only are they still milking the punching gag, but she forces everyone to work twice as hard because she can't do her job. Maybe it's because I've been both the server and the manager in that scenario, but I have little patience for people who make everyone else bust their ass to cover for their inability or unwillingness to pull their weight.

Yes, I do realize this is a comedy - but it's one that I think is making admirable efforts to bring some of the travails of young-adult work life to the screen. Inami just isn't working for me as a character - it's one joke, and it was old by midway through the second episode. If you love her, God bless - but until they evolve her character the less we see of her the better.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 19:23   Link #306
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm really not feeling any more love for Inami - still the weakest point in the series for me.... Inami just isn't working for me as a character - it's one joke, and it was old by midway through the second episode. If you love her, God bless - but until they evolve her character the less we see of her the better.
Even I was beginning to feel that during the first part of ep5, but to me they did evolve her character in the rest of the episode. Not her actions, I guess, but the feeling I get from her. It feels to me like a slow turn toward being able to control her impulses. That aspect started to click for me. Perhaps it started with her own feeling of shame for having caused trouble for everyone else. It's getting serious, almost like real life, where one might have habits it is unreasonably hard to break.

And I do think Fujita Saki is doing a nice job communicating some feeling from inside the character. For those who don't know, samples of Fujita Saki's voice are the basis for Hatsune Miku's voice.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 19:26   Link #307
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Not seeing it - not yet. Saying you're ashamed don't bus the tables...
Old 2010-05-03, 19:51   Link #308
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

poor Saitou... you can really tell that this is based on a 4 panel or something. in other news, Katanashi's family is pretty neat.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 20:23   Link #309
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
I'm really not feeling any more love for Inami - still the weakest point in the series for me. Not only are they still milking the punching gag, but she forces everyone to work twice as hard because she can't do her job. Maybe it's because I've been both the server and the manager in that scenario, but I have little patience for people who make everyone else bust their ass to cover for their inability or unwillingness to pull their weight.

Yes, I do realize this is a comedy - but it's one that I think is making admirable efforts to bring some of the travails of young-adult work life to the screen. Inami just isn't working for me as a character - it's one joke, and it was old by midway through the second episode. If you love her, God bless - but until they evolve her character the less we see of her the better.
You are forgetting that she does work very hard. She helped in the kitchen in this episode for instance. If it was indeed a case of ripping others off, I am pretty damned sure the other employees would have had much more to complain. Since all of them are not only content with her but wish her to be there, I find your accusations horribly misplaced. Besides, phobias aren't that easy to get rid of either. And its not Inami's fault that she is part of a gag. "They" are also "milking" every other gag introduced in the series so far, from Takanashi liking tiny things to parfait to souma to satou to poplar's hair.

And I don't get why you are complaining about lack of development of Inami's character. She is the one who has received the most screen time and obviously, she is the one who has received most development. She went from a girl who hardly even spoke to guys to willingly trying to serve them. And she has proven herself to be otherwise a very good natured girl with everything you associate with an average (anime) high school girl. And I thought from the go that she was going to be the love interest for Takanashi while Poplar is for Souma (the ED hints that way too), so I doubt we will see less of her. I do wish they'd give a little bit of screen time to Poplar now though. She has hardly had the limelight to herself yet, it's all been the sidelines.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 20:52   Link #310
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Even I was beginning to feel that during the first part of ep5, but to me they did evolve her character in the rest of the episode. Not her actions, I guess, but the feeling I get from her. It feels to me like a slow turn toward being able to control her impulses. That aspect started to click for me. Perhaps it started with her own feeling of shame for having caused trouble for everyone else. It's getting serious, almost like real life, where one might have habits it is unreasonably hard to break.

And I do think Fujita Saki is doing a nice job communicating some feeling from inside the character. For those who don't know, samples of Fujita Saki's voice are the basis for Hatsune Miku's voice.
MIKUUUUUUU *fangasm*

... yeah I actually happened to know that but I'm probably an exception. XD
Old 2010-05-03, 21:12   Link #311
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:

I'm surprised that you actually gauged your love for this series based on their efficiency in the series. To me, everyone in Working!! is a drag...put them in a real life restaurant, and i can guarantee that the restaurant will be closed down in no time, so there is no point to admire them as a young worker .But that is not how i actually see this series. Efficiency in working is another matter, and those who actually enjoyed watching this series don't actually see this series from working efficiency's point of view. I don't hate character like Inami, even if she is such a drag for being half efficient as a worker. Beside she is far from worst if i compare her with the manager Kyouko.

Her inability to communicate and deal with males was explained clearly i think 2-3 episodes ago, and there's no point in bringing that issue again and again in every episode. I can tell that even by the end of the series, they won't change her attitude of punching males out of fear. So to live with it, the workers around Inami, especially males, have to come up with ideas that can save their ass from being punch by Inami. That's how the joke runs between Inami and the male workers in Working, like Tweety and Sylvester.

But even with all that scenes between Inami and the males in the restaurant, its not gonna be just some pointless punching gag after all. Its the development between Inami and the males in the restaurant, especially Takanashi whom she punches the most. Its a slow development as far as i know, to the point where there will be some ridiculous stuffs between those two, and its gonna happen in the future episodes if they plan to put it in the anime, which i really do hope so.
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 21:45   Link #312
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Oh, I don't gauge my love for the series based on that - I like it a lot irrespective of my feelings for Inami or how efficient anyone's work is. And actually, having worked in many similar environments, they're really a pretty good cross-section of what you get in low-paying retail or restaurant jobs. They range from quite good (Souta, Satou) to able but lazy (Souma) to the incompetent manager and the useless Inami.

In terms of Inami's development, I don't see it. She still punches Takanashi but now she says she's sorry afterward? That's not really development. We need some more background so we at least really see how she got that way, or some real movement towards changing her behavior rather than just apologizing for it. Until then, she's a one-note character for me. That development might be coming, but I sure hope it's soon. And if you like her as is, well, great - the rest of the series is really good, so you should be in fat city all around so who cares what I think?
Old 2010-05-03, 23:03   Link #313
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
the useless Inami.
Well, to each his own indeed. But, you are making Inami out into a horrible whore who takes advantage of others and pushes her jobs onto them, which is beyond cruel given that she is making a genuine effort to change and works hard with whatever she can help. Oh well, that was your principal complaint about her, I provided evidence against it and you just flatly ignored it and went to the to each his own crap so I guess it serves no good to continue this. Do try to see her in an appreciative light though, if possible.

Also, development doesn't need background, its moving forward so past isn't required, although it helps a fair bit. Neither does it require a complete change of hearts. Heck, ages after quitting certain habits, I still find myself falling for them once in a while, Inami's case is a phobia lol. It'd suck much more if she just stopped hitting guys one episode after being introduced as prone to hitting them whenever she met them the episode before. Being able to apologize isn't much of a development but being able to make a resolution and attempt to put it to effect is. It's a freaking comedy show that relishes rhetorically redundant repetition. So its a given that certain "gags" will make it on-screen practically every episode. Observed together, out of all the characters, Inami is the one who has received most development, comparing their current state with their initial state.

Well, its fine if you don't like her. I was merely trying to defend her against your cruel and baseless accusations.
Old 2010-05-03, 23:10   Link #314
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Whore? Yeah, that's what I said.

Yes, I'll go out on a limb here - a waitress who can't serve 50% or more of her customers and physically assaults her co-workers is useless from a manager's point of view. Try working a shift at a restaurant sometime and see if you disagree.
Old 2010-05-03, 23:23   Link #315
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Whore? Yeah, that's what I said.

Yes, I'll go out on a limb here - a waitress who can't serve 50% or more of her customers and physically assaults her co-workers is useless from a manager's point of view. Try working a shift at a restaurant sometime and see if you disagree.
Lol, forgive my sense of twisted humor :S

The point I am making is, if the said manager (and the rest of her co-workers) has no problem with the worker being there (even wants her to be there) then she fits the working environment just fine. Heck, in light of everyone in the restaurant, the manager herself is the most useless (even damaging, with her food consumption o.0). And I doubt anyone with severe Androphobia would get a job in any normal restaurant so its pointless to even consider that. Nor would a psycho girl that carries around a katana and spends resources on a useless manager of the same sex to the point of running out of supplies for normal customers or a very short girl who can't even reach the cupboards or lift most weights for that matter. The only ones rather normal are the boys and even they are freaking crazy and won't really be appreciated in a normal working environment. But they are fine with each other and somehow manage, which is all that matters. Also, having worked in / observed many restaurants myself, I do know that eccentric people aren't that rare.
Old 2010-05-03, 23:39   Link #316
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

All I know is, if I'm the guy waiting tables, I'll take the girl with the sword who doesn't use it and actually does her job over the girl with the fist who does and doesn't!
Old 2010-05-04, 00:56   Link #317
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
All I know is, if I'm the guy waiting tables, I'll take the girl with the sword who doesn't use it and actually does her job over the girl with the fist who does and doesn't!
Lol. Fair enough. But as we saw an episode or two ago, she does 50% of her job very well!

I now find myself sympathizing with her as a person, even if she does cause even more trouble than the others. Poplar can't reach high shelves. The manageress doesn't do anything but eat and make the schedule. The second cook keeps getting others to do one or other of his tasks. The sword-wielding shift chief keeps wandering off to make parfaits. Takanashi and Satou seem to be the only full-service employees.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-05-04 at 01:41.
Old 2010-05-04, 01:15   Link #318
thunder123456

Do you mean Takanashi and Satou ?
thunder123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 01:43   Link #319
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder123456 View Post
Do you mean Takanashi and Satou?
Thanks. I knew I didn't mean Souta....
Old 2010-05-04, 01:59   Link #320
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
And that's the reason Inami doesn't serve any guys? She knows her limits and she is sincerely trying to improve, give her a break. And why'd you switch over to customer's point of view, this show is about the workers not the customers.

But yeah, fair enough, that was a witty one

Spoiler for random crap:

Regardless, try seeing Inami in positive light, specially in relative terms with the whole cast and you will easily come to like her! Don't fear the punches so much lol. Be a man yo.

Oh god, I just noticed how I still haven't rid myself of the very very bad habit of ending most sentences with a smiley or "lol." :/

Tags
comedy, seinen