Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-07-10, 19:22   Link #21
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

L-R: 3
P-C: 1

The L-R sounds about right, but I thought my P-C would be higher.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2011-07-10 at 19:45. Reason: Augh, I did some calculations incorrectly. Totals re-vised.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 20:23   Link #22
brocko

L-R = 4
P-C = -1

Spoiler for calculations:

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 21:32   Link #23
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

L-R = -1
P-C = -2

L-R seems about right (I'm trying and slowly getting to the stage where I have fansubs/raws only for series I actually own, usually R2 DVDs), but P-C is debatable - I really thought I'd be more neutral...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 10:09   Link #24
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

L-R = 2
P-C = 0

I did have trouble with some of the questions. In many cases my answer would have been "it depends."

3. I usually wait for legal streams if they are late, but not always. I watched a couple of subbed episodes of [C] but stopped to await the entire series being available. I'll watch Funi's version now. On the other hand, I can't bring myself to watch the version of Kemono no Sou-ja Erin on Crunchyroll since their translator couldn't even decide which gender to use in some instances. Even I could tell that the fansubs are superior in this case.

5. I have little ability to discriminate among fansubbing groups. These days they're often all using the same rips, so it comes down to accuracy of translation, which I'm unable to evaluate. I trust some groups more than others (e.g., Live-eviL), and some translators like you, Quarkboy, more than others. I also suspect that speed-subbers may not be as careful as groups that take longer, but I really have no basis for this belief. Most of the series I watch (e.g., Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari) have only one or two groups anyway so I don't have much choice, and speed is not really relevant when we're getting at best an episode per month. Still I chose "yes" for my answer since I generally prefer quality over speed.

13. Are we talking about ripping R2 DVDs/Blu-rays or R1 versions? The latter I think is entirely unethical; the former not so much. Why should it matter if I have a 720p fansubbed version of Dennou Coil from an HDTV telecast or from an R2 BD? I can't buy an R1 release, so for me the question is moot.

18. I suspect this is all about 4Kids, so it's pretty much old hat. Take the case of Dance of the Vampire Bund. Funi uses the censored TV release for its stream, but the uncensored version for the DVD/BD release. I don't have a problem with censorship of streams since there's essentially no way of limiting access to the material, despite the request for me to state my age. (I presume they ask this only to comply with the CIPA, though I doubt many children are trying to watch Dance from a school or library computer!) Censoring a DVD release is another matter entirely. Since I'm paying for the show, I expect it to be intact.

20. Groups ripping from Crunchyroll have no legitimacy for me, so I don't really care how long it takes them. I think they "have no excuse" period. Is that a no?

21. Just speculation since no one here has any basis for an opinion on this subject. I'd guess fansubbing played hardly any role in Naruto's popularity, especially in comparison to Turner's decision to carry it on CN. I'm pretty sure I've watched no more than a handful of Naruto episodes at most, so I'm not really well-qualified on this subject.

22. Why are we singling out Funimation here? They're actually one of the cheaper distributors these days compared to Sentai or NISA.

In general, I rely on fansubbers to provide access to materials not available in R1. In many cases those series will never be available here. I have continued to watch fansubbed versions of some licensed shows like Hikaru no Go, since the fansub translator provided useful information about the play of the game that isn't included in Viz's subs. In that case, I let my computer "watch" all 75 episodes of Hikaru on Viz/Hulu so they'd get the advertising revenues while I watched the fansubs.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 10:56   Link #25
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
22. Why are we singling out Funimation here? They're actually one of the cheaper distributors these days compared to Sentai or NISA.
I figured Funi was chosen here since, as you said, they're the cheapest. If the cheapest is too expensive for someone, then it's likely the more expensive companies would also be too expensive.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 22:51   Link #26
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

L1 p4 r2 c2
l-r = -1 p-c = 2
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 23:13   Link #27
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I proposed a simple quiz 5 years ago and got some really interesting results here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=29118

Let's do it again (with the quiz slightly updated) and see if we can quantify any shift in people's opinions as a whole!

Take this simple quiz, and then open the spoiler tags below to see where YOU fit in the fansubbing political spectrum! Like a myers briggs test, except cooler.

Answer yes or no to whether each statement applies to you:

1. I often download dvd or blu-ray-rips after I watch the versions that aired on TV for archiving or because they're uncensored.
2. I often stream anime on pirate streaming sites instead of downloading.
3. When a show is licensed for streaming, but the official streams in my territory are a week later than the airing, I wait for the official stream before I watch.
4. When a show is licensed for streaming, I only watch it if it's available legally in my country and on the official streaming site.
5. I prefer to wait for the best quality fansub group to release than to just take the first available.
6. I archive fansubs to DVD/Bluray/HDDs, and keep them indefinitely.
7. If a series is licensed, I'll delete/destroy any copies of fansubs I have of it.
8. I often download hollywood movie rips.
9. When a japanese company makes a public statement about how fansubs are hurting the industry, I feel angry or insulted.
10. I will download the first release of a show, no matter which group it is.
11. I will make sure that if more than one group completes a series, that I have all of a single groups' releases.
12. Fansubbing licensed anime is wrong and should not happen, no matter what.
13. DVD/Bluray ripping is wrong and should not be done.
14. The most important part of anime fansubbing is the community of fans.
15. The most important part of anime fansubbing is the anime itself.
16. A new, super popular show which causes the an influx of new fans would be bad for the community.
17. Anime shows are not as good as they used to be.
18. I would prefer a show be licensed by any legal company in my territory, even if they censor it, than remain unlicensed.
19. Big fansub groups with lots and lots of projects are better than small, one show groups.
20. Ripping groups like Horriblesubs have no excuse when they take more than a day to release rips from Crunchyroll.
21. If Naruto had not been fansubbed, it would have done much more poorly on Cartoon Network.
22. Funimation charges too much for DVDs and/or Blu-rays.

Spoiler for DO NOT READ UNTIL AFTER ANSWERING THE ABOVE QUESTIONS:
Just some comment on your survey. I think it will be better if you change the format into "Agree" and "disagree". Otherwise some questions are a little bit confusing

For example: 20. Ripping groups like Horriblesubs have no excuse when they take more than a day to release rips from Crunchyroll. Is this "No, they have no excuse" or "No, i don't agree with this"?

Mine is like +2 toward L and +2 toward P. But i thought that i am extreme left on the issue
Old 2011-07-11, 23:41   Link #28
james0246

L-R = -3: Not very surprising. I firmly support the DVD/Blu-Ray industry…even if the prices can get a bit high at times (FYI – Different regions have different prices, so that should be taken into account when discussing this survey).

P-C = -2: A little surprising. I definitely don’t think that we should ever have to go back to the days of the VHS subs (I was around in those days...not fun), but I do agree that the quality of the fansub and the quality of the anime take precedent over the fan community.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 00:39   Link #29
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Spoiler for Hope it's correct:

4-3 = 1
3-3 = 0

So I'm a moderate... huh.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:40   Link #30
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Spoiler for answers:

L-R +1
P-C +2

Last edited by Zeroryoko1974; 2011-07-12 at 09:50.
Zeroryoko1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 10:52   Link #31
Random32
Also a Lolicon

L-R: 6
About right. I think I have the record of the most criminal person so far. No R's and all but 2 L's, namely about the DVD pricing. In Japan an entire series is in the hundreds, people should be very happy about the low price of stuff on the other side of the Pacific.

I consider torrents a competitor to legal stuff. I choose the best product. Quite honestly, the best product is nearly always the torrent. No restrictions, no annoying anti-piracy messages that I can't skip, better looking subs, already a video file so no hassle with ripping, etc. Right now I only buy the Japanese DVD's when I feel the creators of a series really deserves my money, I don't think I have bought a licensed DVD in a very long time. Legal options simply cannot compete quality-wise with torrents. All they have is legality, and a lot of forward movement of society comes from breaking laws.

P-C: 0
I don't think this score is correct. I love BitTorrent. I just also happen to like good translations and reliability which hurt my P-C score.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 18:47   Link #32
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

L: 2
R: 0
C: 4
P: 1
L-R=2
P-C=-3
Spoiler for answers:

I get more raws nowadays, and have imported R2's for a few series in addition to normal purchases of licensed series. All this money exchange happened after I started working, however. Maybe a corollary for people who have watched thousands of hours of anime is that they become less reliant on subs and may go for livestreams or raws?

Last edited by Decagon; 2011-07-12 at 19:52.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 13:28   Link #33
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

L - R: 5
P - C: 6

I didn't have any points for R or C. This is probably due to the fact that I only started watching anime about three years ago (excluding Yu-gi-oh and Pokemon, which I saw a decade ago), and I simply don't think most media, anime included, is worth my money. Consequently, I couldn't care less about "anime community tradition" or the legality of piracy.
Old 2011-07-13, 14:16   Link #34
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic

Haters gonna hate.

I am currently so at odds with "content gatekeepers" no matter where they are that my actions in regards to what I pay for and what I don't seems very random, but it is not. Right now, the only thing I really pay for is games from Steam.

Why? Because Valve is the only content-distribution company NOT FUCKING US OVER. So I'm happy to give them money, and I'm not giving anyone else money--I haven't gone to the theater in ages, and I don't rent or buy most new movies that often. Nor do I buy much in the way of music anymore, either... I simply listen to what I already have, or make use of Pandora or last.fm.

Funi's DVD prices aren't bad, to be honest. They're a whole lot better than they used to be, but my issue is that DVD is an obsolete format. My fansubs are in higher resolution; why should I feel overly arsed to pay for something that's worse than what I already have, and what I received for free?

Blurays are a different story, though. I've actually bought a few of those, but they ARE often too expensive. The other BD problem with anime is crappy upsamples... that really makes me rage.

Edit: Hey OP, you should tell your bosses they should put out an Android app to stream CR to smartphones. I'd totally pay for a subscription then.
Old 2011-07-13, 15:36   Link #35
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

Haters gonna hate.

I am currently so at odds with "content gatekeepers" no matter where they are that my actions in regards to what I pay for and what I don't seems very random, but it is not. Right now, the only thing I really pay for is games from Steam.

Why? Because Valve is the only content-distribution company NOT FUCKING US OVER. So I'm happy to give them money, and I'm not giving anyone else money--I haven't gone to the theater in ages, and I don't rent or buy most new movies that often. Nor do I buy much in the way of music anymore, either... I simply listen to what I already have, or make use of Pandora or last.fm.
Eh, I'm not such a huge fan of Steam. They mess with a lot of the games that come out on it. A lot of the more niche titles have messed up patching. I prefer Gamers Gate, which is less intrusive. Though some titles are only available on steam...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 20:07   Link #36
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

L-R: 1
P-C: -4

This is probably about right. I don't have a strong opinion on the legality because I tend to believe that serving the fans' best interests should be the highest priority of all anime distribution, legal or not. But I am extremely finicky about what I do with fansubs after the show is finished. I'm a compulsive archiver, but I prefer having a physical product if DVDs are available, so I don't see the point in DVD/BD-rips.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 06:03   Link #37
gsilver

L 2
R 5
C 2
P 2

L-R = -3
C-P = 0

Yeah, sounds about right. I believe in buying *everything* that I like (including unsubbed R2 DVD/Blu-rays of shows that I particularly like), but at the same time, I'm *done* blind-buying. Licensed or not, I don't care when downloading, but if I like it, I buy it.

Though in cases where the fansubbed product is better than the legit one, I'll buy the legit one and watch the fansub... some weird kind of wanting to support the R1 industry. I'm watching Blu-Ray rips of Card Captor Sakura, leaving my R1 DVDs on the shelf. It does burn when the fansubs are better quality, though. Doremi's HD TV rips of Heartcatch easily look better than my DVDs, though my Blu-Rays of Madoka look a lot better than my fansubs.

Quote:
Edit: Hey OP, you should tell your bosses they should put out an Android app to stream CR to smartphones. I'd totally pay for a subscription then.
There is one available. I don't know which one you have, but I've got one on my Droid 2. It's free, too (though I'm a subscriber for access to new shows).
Old 2011-07-14, 08:47   Link #38
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

L-R 6
P-C 4

Yeah that's about right I guess. I could care less about legality since those damn DVDs are too expensive.
Old 2011-07-14, 09:01   Link #39
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
First, Crunchyroll is one of my clients, not my boss.

And second:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/devices?src=carousel

CR has apps for iphone, ipad, android 2.1 phones and tablets with streaming over 3G and wi-fi (3G only for members).

sooo, I guess you'll be paying for a subscription now, right?
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 09:22   Link #40
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Tell your client they need to ditch Flash. At least provide the option of HTML5 video or even Silverlight. Flash needs to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
L-R 6
P-C 4

Yeah that's about right I guess. I could care less about legality since those damn DVDs are too expensive.
Don't move to Japan then. What gets you a full series in the US might get you 3 episodes on the other side of the Pacific lol.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote