AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2015-01-17, 04:31   Link #161
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Finally saw it. It may not have the most unique plot for a movie as far, but its plot is quite solid and entertaining without the trappings of making it too convoluted or "philosophical" like some other anime and animesque movies do (the last two I saw were Appleseed Alpha and Bayonetta: Bloody Fate, which while nice in the visual department I think tried to bit too hard on the story).

Expelled from Paradise actually seemed to be the same at first with all the unfamiliar terms and technobabble, but once you get past that and they explain everything (without the use of overly long exposition, which was nice) it's actually an easily understandable and straightforward story. Though is it me, or did the mid-credits ending kinda give the vibe that a sequel may be in the works? Would like to see more of how Angela adapts to life on Earth.

Also, I like the quality of the CGI they used here, which while using the same techniques as found in such anime like Ars Nova looks much better than it should. If they can improve on CGI animation used here, I think future titles using such are gonna look very, very good indeed.

Edit: Also just realized that that this is basically the Lockon, Neena and Tieria show

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2015-01-17 at 08:19.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 21:42   Link #162
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Edit: Also just realized that that this is basically the Lockon, Neena and Tieria show
Except Neena and Tieria got reverse.

But Lockon stayed Lockon.
Old 2015-01-23, 16:04   Link #163
hoshino_crimsonwings

Loved Rie's voice, super good.
Old 2015-03-01, 16:09   Link #164
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i liked the movie. its entertainment. you can take a look at the trailer and not expect anything serious out of it. but there were deeper themes going on too, which i liked.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-03, 03:54   Link #165
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I also liked this movie a lot. I watched it twice on the day I first saw it, and several more tiems since. It was very much not what I really expected, and Kugumiya and Miki's voice were top-notch. I must say, Angela is one of my favorite Rie Kugumiya roles to date.
The one part that I could have done without, as I'm sure others thought as well, was the CG animation; I'd much have preferred normal animation instead of CG. That said it was still good.
Old 2015-06-10, 00:31   Link #166
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Watched the dub on Netflix and wow, a great movie. Steve Blum as Dingo was the perfect pick
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 23:27   Link #167
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So after putting the movie off for far too long... I finally watched, and it was quite excellent. Maybe because of who the director is, it reminded me of Psycho-pass, but with the mindfuck parts reduced way down, and it turned into an otherwise skillfully executed sci-fi movie with a basis of some of the usual questions that are asked with this kind of set-up. I'm going to definitely have to get this on BD when it comes out, assuming it hasn't already.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-31, 00:21   Link #168
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
I was pleasantly surprised by this film, give who was wrote up the script, I was on the edge of my seat the ENTIRE second half of the film expecting gruesome tragic deaths of our MC's. Instead we get this tender sweetness throughout that tells a lovely story that I could enjoy without having prior expectations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
This was a cool movie. I think it may have oversexualized the female lead a bit but it was still something that was a good sci-fi movie with a good male counterpart.

Though it is kind of sad

Spoiler:
thanks for bring that up, I knew there had to be some kind of tragedy mixed into it, or else it can't be called a Urobuchi work

9/10 overall, the lack of full score due to annoying animations with choppy CGI
Old 2015-11-05, 16:06   Link #169
Shadow5YA

I thought the CGI designs were fairly appealing, maintaining the anime aesthetic similar to Guilty Gear Xrd.

The only "choppiness" comes from the framerate, which is maintained at the industry standard of 24 FPS. It's inevitable that animations will never look as good as video game CG.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 21:33   Link #170
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I’d say this is a pretty good sci-fi anime movie. I like almost everything about it down to the cell-shading characters. I also like the futuristic concept that people will abandon biological bodies in the future to live in the digital world in space. It’s like Urobuchi merged the concept from both Wall-E & GITS but took it a bit further.

My only gripe with this anime-movie is Angela’s suit design that screams “FANSERVICE!!!” from its every angle when Angela wears it. I’m okay with the nude scenes when she was chasing the “viruses” coz it kinda make sense (or I just saw too much Motoko’s nudity in GITS ), but an advanced civilization like DEVA (and Angela herself) that champions themselves on cold hard logic should know that Angela’s “playmate suit” is not the most efficient outfit for an actual biological-young-female body to wander the hot barren wasteland that is future post-apocalyptic Earth in this setting. I mean, her ass cheeks are practically exposed all the time in the dirty Earth environment (I give Motoko from GITS SAC a pass coz her body is goddamn mechanical, not biological). It’s not even practical, let alone comfortable. No wonder she got sick fast . Surely the DEVA people are smart enough to realize that their agents wouldn’t be always inside their giant round-robots all the time when their mission is to find someone mysterious. But I guess meta-reasons like merchandising has far greater influence than the logic within the story itself.
Old 2015-11-05, 23:47   Link #171
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I’d say this is a pretty good sci-fi anime movie. I like almost everything about it down to the cell-shading characters. I also like the futuristic concept that people will abandon biological bodies in the future to live in the digital world in space. It’s like Urobuchi merged the concept from both Wall-E & GITS but took it a bit further.

My only gripe with this anime-movie is Angela’s suit design that screams “FANSERVICE!!!” from its every angle when Angela wears it. I’m okay with the nude scenes when she was chasing the “viruses” coz it kinda make sense (or I just saw too much Motoko’s nudity in GITS ), but an advanced civilization like DEVA (and Angela herself) that champions themselves on cold hard logic should know that Angela’s “playmate suit” is not the most efficient outfit for an actual biological-young-female body to wander the hot barren wasteland that is future post-apocalyptic Earth in this setting. I mean, her ass cheeks are practically exposed all the time in the dirty Earth environment (I give Motoko from GITS SAC a pass coz her body is goddamn mechanical, not biological). It’s not even practical, let alone comfortable. No wonder she got sick fast . Surely the DEVA people are smart enough to realize that their agents wouldn’t be always inside their giant round-robots all the time when their mission is to find someone mysterious. But I guess meta-reasons like merchandising has far greater influence than the logic within the story itself.
Actually, Angela did intend on using her mech the entire time. Remember that Dingo was the one who deactivated it against her will.

It's likely that the other DEVA agents were entirely reliant on their connections to the main network as well.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 00:40   Link #172
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Actually, Angela did intend on using her mech the entire time. Remember that Dingo was the one who deactivated it against her will.

It's likely that the other DEVA agents were entirely reliant on their connections to the main network as well.
Yes, that's a plot point that I remember very well. I mean, there's no backup/emergency outfit that's more environment-friendly in case something went wrong? Or the Ball-bot somehow got deactivated? Maybe I've been spoiled by other well-written mecha series like Evangelion (among others) where they have backup plans for almost every emergency situations (including total power loss, which what happened to Angela in this movie), but for a bunch of smart-and-all-about-logic people, those DEVAs are sure a bit short-sighted. But who am I to dare defy the power of merchandising .
Old 2017-04-16, 04:36   Link #173
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Took nearly 2 years before I finally got the BD lol wtf...

Anyway, the whole thing is simple but so refreshingly cute and uplifting. Even Frontier Setter despite the long years he faces at least found some sense of purpose.

Now I can finally get down to Rakuen Zankyou

Tags
urobuchi gen