AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

View Poll Results: Hayate no Gotoku!! (2nd Season) - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 24 46.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 38.46%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 11.54%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-07, 02:15   Link #41
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

The new OP & ED might take a little getting used to. Maybe after repeated playbacks I'll start to like them more, but I really think I'm gonna miss Wonder Wind and HINA. I enjoyed them from the first time I heard them. The new OP & ED? Maybe not so much.

Overall, a nice white day episode. A lot of good humor and Hina and Ayumu are still as cute as ever.
Old 2009-08-07, 03:42   Link #42
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
The new OP was awful...I think it is just as bad as the first OP. The ED wasn't so bad but I still love HINA more. Plus K Rie's voice is as grating to my ears as ever >.>
Hmm... when I first heard it, I didn't think much of the OP, but after hearing it for around the 20th time (fansubbing does such things to you), I felt my opinion changing. At least I consider it an improvement over "Wonder Wind" *brr* ^_^;
Old 2009-08-07, 03:45   Link #43
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgy View Post
After seeing this episode i became pretty sure of one thing:
J.C. Staff is ruining everything, Season01 was far better. With this much fanservice and this mainstream feeling, i think the series has distanced itself from its origins, started to loose the most important thing. This is no longer the magnificent, unique world Hata-sensei created.

Anyway, there are still great characters and exciting story (thanks to the manga),
so its worth watching.
With all due respect, but... have you actually really read the manga? I'm having strong doubts, because if so, you should have noticed that unlike season 1 (especially the disastrous second half), J.C.Staff is only doing a manga conversion, staying 99% truthful on manga grounds.

That's one of the reasons why essentially everywhere, Season 2 outperforms Season 1 in review ratings.
Old 2009-08-07, 03:59   Link #44
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I think I prefer the second OP, but not by much. Then again, I didn't dislike Wonder Wind or anything.

As for the ED, it's only now I listen to the CD version of HINA I've started to like it at all, so it's not hard to prefer the second ED.
Old 2009-08-07, 09:06   Link #45
AzoLto

The second OP is much better than the first OP (aside from the fanservice shots, that's just over-the-top). It manages to capture the drama and essence of the show and even ramp it up a bit. One of my favourite moments (aside from that Hayate cheek-pinching moment ) was when Nagi was looking up at Hayate only to see her mother. That was great.

The first OPs visual were severely lacking. The song itself wasn't that bad but the visuals..

I prefer the HINA ED rather than the current one..

I have to agree with Mentar. Season II is far better than Season I. I don't know anything about manga faithfulness, but the latter half of Season I bored me to death. Season II has kept me entertained much more than Season I had.
Old 2009-08-07, 10:51   Link #46
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I thought the 2nd ED was nice. Both OPs are not much of my taste.

Anyway, this episode is Hinagiku-moe mode loaded. Looking forward to lots of gifs.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-08-07, 21:03   Link #47
X207
Gamyūsa

lol that vita hammer scene (nanoha) was rather funny. btw which theme song was maria humming?
Old 2009-08-08, 03:13   Link #48
rgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Wait, what? I haven't gotten very far in the manga yet, but from all the opinions I've read up to this point, people seemed to have been saying that this anime adaptation is very true to the romance-centric storylines in the manga, and it was the first season that took too many liberties. That, if anything, this season was truer to the "magnificent, unique world Hata-sensei created" with it's more plot-centric feel and straight-from-the-manga story. And now it's the opposite all of a sudden?

Of course, I understand both the first and second seasons featured different approaches to adapting the same work, and each approach will have people who favour it, but isn't being more or less true to the manga more of an objective comment?

In any case, I'm still liking both seasons a lot, with a slight edge to this current one I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
With all due respect, but... have you actually really read the manga? I'm having strong doubts, because if so, you should have noticed that unlike season 1 (especially the disastrous second half), J.C.Staff is only doing a manga conversion, staying 99% truthful on manga grounds.

That's one of the reasons why essentially everywhere, Season 2 outperforms Season 1 in review ratings.
All published volumes of Viz edition has been read.
2nd Season is following the storyline of the manga much more precisely, its true, i admit it. But, thats not what i meant.
In my opinion, this 2nd Season is silly, way worse than the 2nd half of Season01.
I dislike the rough and misshapen character design, SynergySp was able to create characters more true to the manga, that design was beautiful.
The entire moral of this season somehow stinks. Story is great, characters are great, but this anime is still unable to make me spellbound, unlike Season01. No style, no genuineness. This approach is too mainstream, that’s what i think.
OPs and EDs were also better in Season01. But i must mention here that Season02 ED01 is of high standard and so lovely, thanks to Hinagiku.
I felt in love with Season01, Season02 is extremely disappointing for me.
I wish SynergySP did this season, too.
Old 2009-08-08, 09:42   Link #49
oompa loompa

I actually have to agree, I'm beginning to see that I enjoyed season 1 a lot more than this season. For different reasons I suppose though. True, I liked season 1's quirky feeling, as well as its focus on humor. Having said that, it never really went anywhere, and I do like the fact that the second season follows the manga more closely. However, if I had to put my finger on what makes this season worse than the last, is simply that I'm ( one of the very few by the looks of it ) not much of a Hina fan at all - The highlight of almost every episode for me is the screen time Maria and Nagi get.

Still, I don't think thats something the producers could help, if thats the way Hata-Sensei wants the story to unfold, thats the way it should - she does know best - I can't really complain much if they follow the manga faithfully.
Old 2009-08-08, 13:12   Link #50
rgy

Animation production is not under the supervision of Hata-sensei. I think the way J.C. Staff adapt the manga is fully the studio’s authority. SynergySP did not follow the story of the manga closely, but their work was much more precious. J.C. Staff is one of the biggest studios, they want to sell no matter what, in order to achieve this: excessive fanservice, almost completely building upon the most popular character=Hina etc. I’m a big Hinagiku fan, but i believe every character is cool and needs spotlight, that’s also true for the side characters.
J.C. Staff produced many good anime, but this one is failure. I wonder how long it’ll last… OP02 appeared in the beginning of episode 18, conclusion: full length: max. 36 episodes, i guess. Looks like a much more powerful studio is unable to reach, or even get close to the 52nd episode. They had the money to seize the series, but money alone is nothing. On CDJapan, releases can be seen up to episode 22, i don’t think it’ll rise too much. But of course, there’s a possibility of me being wrong.
The main problem is that they only follow the storyline of the manga faithfully. J.C. Staff way leads to losing the heart of Hayate no Gotoku!, this is my opinion.
Old 2009-08-08, 14:53   Link #51
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgy View Post
Animation production is not under the supervision of Hata-sensei. I think the way J.C. Staff adapt the manga is fully the studio’s authority. SynergySP did not follow the story of the manga closely, but their work was much more precious. J.C. Staff is one of the biggest studios, they want to sell no matter what, in order to achieve this: excessive fanservice, almost completely building upon the most popular character=Hina etc.
This isn't a J.C. Staff produced show. They were contracted to animate the second season, but they aren't funding production, and the show isn't theirs to seize.

The producers are the same as before: Shogakukan Productions and TV Tokyo. The difference is that the show moved from a Sunday morning to late night time slot, so the marketing strategy obviously changes. They now cater to what they think otaku want to buy, whereas the first season was produced as a children's show. By doing a very faithful adaptation (and also focusing on the most popular character, Hinagiku), Shogakukan avoids the risk of offending purists, who are likely to collect DVDs. They won't please everyone, but there's a good chance that the hardcore collectors will be happy enough.

Also, late night shows are about DVD sales and not TV ratings, so no one will market a 52 episode season. It doesn't matter which production studio is involved.
Old 2009-08-08, 17:18   Link #52
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Humans, indeed, do not learn enlightment at first:

For they run into misfortune over misfortune at getting their White Day Cookie presents delivered to the wrong person.

Others sealed shut their true feelings about a particular person, deceiving themselves hopelessly that happiness lies at making others happy.

But just once at the end of the day, their noble illusions are usually well repaid, though the entire day has almost gone.
Old 2009-08-08, 18:49   Link #53
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

hayate always visits hinagiku in the end

lol his misfortune sounds like touma from index
Old 2009-08-09, 04:37   Link #54
rgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
This isn't a J.C. Staff produced show. They were contracted to animate the second season, but they aren't funding production, and the show isn't theirs to seize.

The producers are the same as before: Shogakukan Productions and TV Tokyo. The difference is that the show moved from a Sunday morning to late night time slot, so the marketing strategy obviously changes. They now cater to what they think otaku want to buy, whereas the first season was produced as a children's show. By doing a very faithful adaptation (and also focusing on the most popular character, Hinagiku), Shogakukan avoids the risk of offending purists, who are likely to collect DVDs. They won't please everyone, but there's a good chance that the hardcore collectors will be happy enough.

Also, late night shows are about DVD sales and not TV ratings, so no one will market a 52 episode season. It doesn't matter which production studio is involved.
Thanks for the information, i didn’t have this much knowledge.
Anyway, i don’t really like the character design, Synergy did a better a job.
I first eyed Season01, then read the manga; then came Season02, and i found that something is missing, and there are things that shouldn’t be there. I think they made a mistake with this new conception. This is when business overshadows art.
Old 2009-08-09, 17:51   Link #55
SiaShan

Where did hayate get his cookie at last ?
Didn't he said he can't even afford to buy the ingredient anymore ?
Old 2009-08-09, 18:02   Link #56
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

He used the ingredients in the café. I'd be more worried about where he got all that fish and meat to serve the customers, really, if that's not usually on the menu.
Old 2009-08-10, 22:27   Link #57
justsomeguy

If there is anything that JC Staff has done wrong, it is only in the overly saturated colors and straight-from-manga frames. I understand that JC Staff wishes to save their budget, but camera angles and visual effects from still images don't work as well in animation. In other words, the problem is unimaginative direction. On the other hands, given JC Staff's history of creativity, perhaps it is better off this way.

As for this episode, there was one minor change from the manga: Hayate did not lift Hina's hand and put the cookies in it in the manga.
Old 2009-08-12, 04:34   Link #58
Mentar
Banned

Sorry rgy, J.C.Staff is following the manga animation truthfully, SynergySP did NOT. J.C.Staff is following the manga content truthfully, SynergySP did NOT (at least after they deviated around ep20).

I can understand if people may prefer the SynergySP style. I can also understand if people enjoy the crazy episodes with zany humor more. That's all fine. But accusing J.C.Staff - who are making this a near 1:1 conversion - of "ruining the original" is objectively wrong, IMHO. It's rather the fans of the original whose majority feels that this second season is way superior, and the fans of the S1 anime style who disagree.

Hayate's art has changed over the years. Read any of the later chapters, rgy - you will see that all "newer" chapters adhere to the J.C.Staff style.
Closed Thread