AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-06-19, 20:14   Link #861
Random14

The first half of the episode dragged a bit for me, after how last week already showed their life outside the 86th sector. Well, the lead-up to Fido's death was worth it, but that was only half an episode.

I didn't expect another episode next week, this already seems like an appropriate ending point, for both the season and even for the series if more episodes weren't already confirmed and if there wasn't already a lot more source material to adapt (if they wanted to). An uncertain fate for the last five of Spearhead, and Lena determined to carry on. Not like house arrest (and whatever other punishment they come up with) matters, not with her knowing the Legion will really invade eventually.

Nice to see Lena visit their barracks, too bad she couldn't see them in person but at least its a more direct handover, with her adopting their cat too. Not sure what else they'll do, things are already set for the next arc (whichever direction the anime goes).
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-19, 22:14   Link #862
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random14 View Post
Not like house arrest (and whatever other punishment they come up with) matters, not with her knowing the Legion will really invade eventually.
I guess the saving grace of the Republic being so lax with the military is they probably don't see a point in punishing Lena too severely. Even her "house arrest" isn't serious enough that she can't fly over to Spearhead's base on her own.
Old 2021-06-19, 22:57   Link #863
Gerard07

Having seen the chapter, I really liked these last chapters, Shin's meeting with his brother, Fido's death (I think it's the death that moved me the most), now Lena visiting the base of the 86, in short, to expect more from this anime.
Question, this chapter apparently does not coincide with the end of volume 1, do you think that what the special chapter will be about next week?.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-19, 23:08   Link #864
HtwoN

So the Republic uses English and the Empire uses Japanese. Interesting.

Great "final". The show could just end here and it would be perfectly fine.
HtwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-19, 23:29   Link #865
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtwoN View Post
So the Republic uses English and the Empire uses Japanese. Interesting.

Great "final". The show could just end here and it would be perfectly fine.
I guess it would explain some of the Eighty-Six having Japanese names.
Old 2021-06-20, 02:44   Link #866
Tenzen12

Not everyone though, 86 refer any non Alba and Empire immigrants are just one subset of them.
Old 2021-06-20, 03:23   Link #867
Calca
Expressionless

Ugh, this is why I try to avoid tragedy animes/mangas. Don't like feeling like crap afterwards.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-20, 09:13   Link #868
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I can see how this could have been a hell of an ending if the 86ers cast was endearing, but I didn't find them to be as such. As to the military industrial complex and Lena's role in it, I found that to be a bit more interesting
Therein lies an effectively fatal flaw with 86. Could you at least make me care, cast? Life isn't fair, humans can be utter scum. So could you give me something about you all, some actual time so I can be made to care? It is an indictment that Fido was the one that actually got something to make me want to remember it. Any character that wasn't Lena never got their chance for long enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yes, it would have been depressing but I like that kind of ending sometimes.
There are titles that do it well. If they don't just focus on the deaths and melodrama, as well as actually develop its cast and world.

This was okay to see once, but I am very done with it.
Old 2021-06-20, 09:15   Link #869
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Therein lies an effectively fatal flaw with 86. Could you at least make me care, cast? Life isn't fair, humans can be utter scum. So could you give me something about you all, some actual time so I can be made to care? It is an indictment that Fido was the one that actually got something to make me want to remember it. Any character that wasn't Lena never got their chance for long enough.
I mean, I feel like the scenes of them as a group, both overt and subtle, were able to capture that well (especially the school scene) but to each their own .
Old 2021-06-20, 09:23   Link #870
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
It is an indictment that Fido was the one that actually got something to make me want to remember it. Any character that wasn't Lena never got their chance for long enough.
It's your opinion that you don't care about Shin, Raiden, Kurena, Anju or Theo and that's to be respected. However, the reasoning for your opinion is a bit funny to see considering that you criticize that nobody other than Lena got their chance for long enough while pointing out Fido who clearly got less screen time / focus than the five human members of Spearhead squadron. And the screen time they got is in no way less than what Lena got. Heck, they got an entire episode just for them last week.

So the reason for you not caring about them is not for reason of the story not trying like you are trying to insinuate.
Old 2021-06-20, 10:01   Link #871
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin View Post
It's your opinion that you don't care about Shin, Raiden, Kurena, Anju or Theo and that's to be respected.
There were moments I did. When they actually had moments to show any form of personality/uniqueness. When they were actually allowed to be more than mere melodrama vessels.

You know why Episode 12 was effective? It gave the characters a chance to stop being one-tone for longer than one minute. A bit more of that earlier on and a proper bond could have been established. You don't start doing that at minutes to midnight.

Shin was given some motivations, backstory, bite. At least he stood out. At least he had a relatable goal. Pity it was used up so cheaply but at least he had them. And having those made Shin feel like a character that some empathy could be given to.

I really wanted to give a damn about this show for the long run. But if you're going to pretend to build up something, then burn through it before it got a chance to build and end with bonding that was badly needed far earlier, it's merely sigh worthy.
Old 2021-06-20, 12:34   Link #872
Frontier

I mean, I think the core five of the team that we ended up with got enough characterization and moments to stand out amidst the drama (albeit they deal with a lot), which is probably why they were the last ones to survive to begin with .
Old 2021-06-20, 23:47   Link #873
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-21, 00:37   Link #874
Thor's Hammer

If it ends up that Shin didn't die, that will be disappointing. I give it a greater than 50% chance that all five of those guys have passed on. I believe that scene with a young Shin and his brother taking him away was meant to depict that he was delivering Shin to salvation and that both of them are now dead. If the headless Shin wasn't enough of a hint, I feel that scene's symbolism should have made it clear, but there are actually people who refuse to believe that Shin is dead for some reason. Even Lena's scene at the end when she remembers Shin's words to put flowers where they died if she ever makes it to their last battlefield was meant to impart a sense of finalty to the old Spearhead Squadron's journey, but I guess some people are that cynical and can't believe that they could actually be dead.

Of note is that the Giad Empire has long fallen, and if that long range unit has the head of a fallen Giad soldier, it’s likely that the princess (of Giad) he is screaming about always protecting is also dead, and the scream could have happened in particular because Shin and co. were near a base of Legion where a unit with the princess’s head could've been, meaning it was firing to prevent Shin from getting to the base and killing the boss unit of the area. They were deep in enemy territory, and although Shin said that if they made it a bit further there would be an area where he can't hear any Legion voices, I'm not convinced that some resistance fighters would've conveniently saved them considering they have no way of knowing Shin and co. were there. I guess there was that damaged Lowe in Episode 10 that could hint of an opposing force there, but after so deliberately shoving into viewers' faces that Shin is dead, I will find it all to be ridiculous if it ended up not being the case. It would be cringeworthy.

Last edited by Thor's Hammer; 2021-06-21 at 01:58.
Thor's Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 00:26   Link #875
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

That ending was... really bad. It could have been okay in a 24-episode series where characters actually got some amount of development time, but aside from Shin and Lena, I could literally not care less about the rest of the cast.

Honestly, it felt less like a tragedy and more like a footnote to a story that we were never told. There was simply too much missing to make me feel any emotions aside from disappointment at all the wasted potential that this series had starting out.

Basically there was very little REAL development in the relationship between Lena and the 86'ers. So what was even the point of it all? I feel like nihilistic meta-interpretations make for a poor story arc.
Old 2021-06-23, 02:38   Link #876
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
That ending was... really bad. It could have been okay in a 24-episode series where characters actually got some amount of development time, but aside from Shin and Lena, I could literally not care less about the rest of the cast.

Honestly, it felt less like a tragedy and more like a footnote to a story that we were never told. There was simply too much missing to make me feel any emotions aside from disappointment at all the wasted potential that this series had starting out.

Basically there was very little REAL development in the relationship between Lena and the 86'ers. So what was even the point of it all? I feel like nihilistic meta-interpretations make for a poor story arc.
It is a 24 (or 23) episode series, just saying. So you might be jumping the gun here.
Old 2021-06-23, 16:48   Link #877
Yazi88

Yeah everyone is making too many final assumptions for the entire show/cast when it is only 11 episodes when the 2nd half will air this October. Its not even the real finale.
Yazi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 16:51   Link #878
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

You're seriously expecting people to have to wait until a second season for character development to finally get going...on top of no world building...

Just. No. Nothing against those continuing, at all.
Old 2021-06-23, 16:54   Link #879
Yazi88

People have no patience and let their speculation go out of control.

Its fine to have some speculation, but people go overboard with it too often.
Yazi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 22:26   Link #880
Tenzen12

Quote:
You're seriously expecting people to have to wait until a second season for character development to finally get going...on top of no world building...

Just. No. Nothing against those continuing, at all.
How "why you criticize ending in middle of season?" argument have anything to do with what you said? Even if you were 100% right it would still be non sequitur.

That said you are not 100%, right there is plenty of world building.

Tags
harem, mecha, politics, sci-fi