AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-10-17, 15:17   Link #41
Calca
Expressionless

ANN was whining about episode 1, which tells me I should watch this.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-20, 10:41   Link #42
Frontier

Dia is an excitable and happy girl and gets straight to testing Lugh's magic capacity...but he's an overpowered Isekai protagonist so he ends up turning the stone used to test him into a bomb that they have to throw into the sky before it blows everything up. Oddly fitting for an assassin, and I can definitely see those magic bombs being useful in the future .

Dia was so worried for Lugh's sake when his parents found out what happened...and they're just proud of him. I mean, the more dangerous and powerful the better for Lugh's line of work, right? Still, doting parents are doting parents .

Dia doesn't waste much time going straight to Lugh's bedroom so they can sleep together, although she already dubs him her "younger brother." It seems like it's connected to something about her and their family that Lugh's dad didn't tell him? Is it related to his dead brother? IS she related to them somehow ?

That attribute conversion scene was very...suggestive. Even before we saw naked Dia caressing naked Lugh's face .

Lugh and Dia experiment with magic and find a way to create even more spells that aren't reliant on God giving it to them, and Lugh with his deep reservoir of mana and Spell Weaver skill is even more proficient .

Nothing says bonding quite like making guns and shooting them together. And then Lugh just outright makes a giant cannon and fires it. I can see them having a lot of fun with this .

I like how you see Lugh and Dia growing closer together by how much more comfortable they seem sleeping together in bed, and getting closer in said bed .

Well, it's time for Dia to leave, but Lugh and Dia both exchange gifts to remember each other by and to mark their parting. Lugh gives her a strong knife, which for an assassin I guess is kind of romantic? And Dia gives her one of her precious stones from her homeland. We know Dia ends up joining Lugh's assassination team, and that he'll come for her when she calls for him, so I'm eager to see when they'll be reunited .

So one big difference between the Tuatha De and Lugh's organization is that the Tuatha De believe in assassinating with humanity, not as some emotionless tool who only cares about the mission, and you have to invest in and heart in this assassination business and not be a cold killing machine. I guess if Lugh really wants to change his life this go around, that would probably be a good change to make .

I guess it's nice to have access to Death Row inmates who are already marked for death as a means of practicing killing, and Lugh's first kill is a robber/murder/arsonist girl who tries to pull out the waterworks to save herself...but to no avail from our World's Finest Assassin .
Old 2021-10-20, 15:49   Link #43
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I know it's anime, but was there really a need to sexualize a 10 years old teaching magic to a 7 years old? Really, Japan? (And the fact the 7 years old is actually an old guy makes it worse.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-20, 17:57   Link #44
Alchemist007
*Author

Gotta get those pedo bucks.
Old 2021-10-20, 19:05   Link #45
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Says a guy with a little girl avatar (sorry, I don't recognize it so I may be far off).

But yeah, we already knew there were some vibes here with the "examination" last week. Sort of figures if they were going to give Shota service they'd give Loli service as well. Honestly when she knocked on his door a small part of me wondered if she was asked to teach him more than just magic. I mean, seduction and everything that comes with it is a very important skill for an assassin. I really wouldn't be surprised if that weren't to be part of the planned curriculum down the road. Yes, this is much too early for such training but once the idea that that's coming was placed a girl coming to a boy's room in the middle of the night takes on a different meaning.

And yeah, the "first time" was played up a bit much, but it could've been worse.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-20, 19:20   Link #46
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Says a guy with a little girl avatar (sorry, I don't recognize it so I may be far off).

But yeah, we already knew there were some vibes here with the "examination" last week. Sort of figures if they were going to give Shota service they'd give Loli service as well. Honestly when she knocked on his door a small part of me wondered if she was asked to teach him more than just magic. I mean, seduction and everything that comes with it is a very important skill for an assassin. I really wouldn't be surprised if that weren't to be part of the planned curriculum down the road. Yes, this is much too early for such training but once the idea that that's coming was placed a girl coming to a boy's room in the middle of the night takes on a different meaning.

And yeah, the "first time" was played up a bit much, but it could've been worse.
To be honest I think they'll realize he already has enough charm as it is .
Old 2021-10-20, 22:00   Link #47
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
They are definitely playing things up. While a bit odd...it could have always gone a lot further. At least we didn't have any reactions from Lugh about his mother's breasts...at any opportunity. Don't get me wrong the assassin body examination last episode was a bit much. And they kept that going with the magical first time here. But hey...at least there was some in-universe logic for it and the characters themselves took it pretty seriously.

Anyways, there was some interesting stuff here. Lugh is well on his way and his potential is crazy. Makes the hero even more insane considering how many skills they have. Although it's hard to see the MC not being able to pull this off with how he's dedicated basically everything to the task of gaining the skills needed to pull off this assassination. I thought he'd be a bit more interested in the possibility of not having to kill them. Although I suppose the one thing he can prepare for right now is the killing part and then can look at the non-killing options later on that shouldn't take a life of training.

My feeling is either that Dia was involved with Lugh's older brother or that she's actually his fiance. The first one I'm not sure about since Dia is only 3 years older than Lugh and presumably his brother was of decent age when he died. The latter option seems more plausible. An assassination family probably is going to not simply rely on finding the right partner by chance but trying to set things up. Dia being a top tier mage in the world makes her a good choice to be his teacher anyways. But them being pretty close in age...makes the choice feel intentional. Of course it could be anything else. Her gripping the knife like that when leaving makes me think Dia has her own troubles and ones that wouldn't necessarily exist if she had that kind of promised relationship set. But in that sense we can look forward to him coming to her rescue in some fashion.

If nothing else I really enjoyed the dynamic between Lugh and Dia. They actually had quite a bit of fun there when it came to making magic. Dia took some hits when it came to testing out spell creation, but they did figure out the trick. Plus with Lugh's spell weaver skill (darn effective that it is) they really opened the door wide open for magic. Plus while it really reflects his personality, he did give her one awesome going away present.

Of course he managed to create rifles and artillery weapons . That's some crazy power. And again...it makes me want to see the power of this hero.
Old 2021-10-20, 22:18   Link #48
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:

There's a difference between cute and creepy. The dialogue itself was cringe enough I sped through a lot this ep.
Old 2021-10-20, 22:25   Link #49
BWTraveller
Born to ship

It wasn't that bad. Yeah, the whole "first time" was kind of dumb but overall it was just learning the sensation of magic taking an attribute, and a brief look at Dia from the shoulders up. I frankly much more enjoyed the rest. I'm kind of used to heroes leaving their "teachers" and such shocked at just how powerful they are, but it's refreshing to see one who became that powerful through planning and effort.
Old 2021-10-20, 23:23   Link #50
Frontier

I've seen some speculation online that Dia might be related to Lugh's mom given their physical resemblance (similar hair and eyes). Maybe a cousin from the mom's side of the family?
Old 2021-10-20, 23:42   Link #51
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
It wasn't that bad. Yeah, the whole "first time" was kind of dumb but overall it was just learning the sensation of magic taking an attribute, and a brief look at Dia from the shoulders up. I frankly much more enjoyed the rest. I'm kind of used to heroes leaving their "teachers" and such shocked at just how powerful they are, but it's refreshing to see one who became that powerful through planning and effort.
How they handled his learning magic and Dia's responses really were refreshing. While she talked about being jealous while leaving, I got more of a feeling that she had a lot of fun with it. A lot of teachers will just be in awe or frustrated at such an OP pupil. But she took it well and even used it as a chance to grow herself. Both of them gained through her teaching him magic.

And yeah, unlike a lot of characters his growth is through planning and effort. He got himself a strong hand through the goddess, but he worked extremely hard to turn that into what he has now.
Old 2021-10-21, 00:33   Link #52
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

• Handsome boy with silver/white hair
  • Grows up in a family of assassins
  • The said family is extravagantly rich
  • Raised to be a great assassin himself
  • Able to cook fancy dishes
  • Has a doting mother
  • Has an energetic loli "magic" teacher
  • Does a smooth first on-screen kill

The list of similiarities to Killua just keep writing itself . Not that I'm complaining. I like this isekai-Killua.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I know it's anime, but was there really a need to sexualize a 10 years old teaching magic to a 7 years old? Really, Japan? (And the fact the 7 years old is actually an old guy makes it worse.)
Maybe I'm just jaded, but watching anime since the 90s, I no longer consider "loli/shota being naked in a sparkly floaty space" as something sexually serious. Minky Momo has done that since 1982 in almost every episode. For me, I think it helps that:
  1. The context of the scene is not sexual (unlike "mana transfer" in Fate)
  2. Lugh is not a lecher or a pervert or sexually interested in Dia (so far)
  3. Dia was not sexually taken advantage of
Old 2021-10-21, 11:40   Link #53
Frontier

I mean, they did keep mentioning "first time" so at least the writer was aware of the connotations .
Old 2021-10-21, 13:52   Link #54
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I've seen some speculation online that Dia might be related to Lugh's mom given their physical resemblance (similar hair and eyes). Maybe a cousin from the mom's side of the family?
Don't worry, this sort of thing will soon disappear.

About the episode, I didn't read the novel, only the manga, but the author said he would change several things for the anime, but so far it's faithful (to the manga at least).
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-21, 21:45   Link #55
BWTraveller
Born to ship

One thing I just noticed re-watching with a friend: in the opening scene Dia was identified as fourteen years old. That would mean that Lugh was at that point only eleven (and I believe the girl next to him called him big brother, which would make her younger?). None of the characters look that age. Is everyone supposed to be wildly younger than they look, or did Dia claim to be younger than she is to infiltrate the auction? I'm kind of hoping for the latter, since it's a little weird to have preteens talking and acting like this, and with her looking hardly older than him at ten I can certainly believe she's the type that keeps a little too much of her youthful appearance.
Old 2021-10-22, 04:52   Link #56
Lex79

It's entirely possible Dia is a legal loli and so simply lied about her age, it's a common enough trope in anime.
Talking about this episode, every time in an isekai the protagonist's are measured I expect the measuring device to either either return an error or to overload and explode, and this time too I wasn't disappointed. I liked the contrast between the playful tone of the episode, with two cute kids being excited for learning magic, and the ending when we are shown the dark side of being an assassin. For a moment I thought Luth was going to free the arsonist girl and train her to be his assistant, instead it turned out her plea for mercy was an act and he saw through it, which made for a better scene in my opinion.
Now a curiosity, in the Italian subs the spell formulas are adapted as the spell name mirrored (es. crea ferro which is create iron, becomes orref aerc), it's the same in the English version?
Old 2021-10-22, 06:25   Link #57
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
Now a curiosity, in the Italian subs the spell formulas are adapted as the spell name mirrored (es. crea ferro which is create iron, becomes orref aerc), it's the same in the English version?
Muse Asia ENG Sub didn't mirror the spells. I don't know about other streamings.
Old 2021-10-22, 07:21   Link #58
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
It is the same in all subs on Crunchyroll.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-22, 10:05   Link #59
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Talking about this episode, every time in an isekai the protagonist's are measured I expect the measuring device to either either return an error or to overload and explode, and this time too I wasn't disappointed. I liked the contrast between the playful tone of the episode, with two cute kids being excited for learning magic, and the ending when we are shown the dark side of being an assassin. For a moment I thought Luth was going to free the arsonist girl and train her to be his assistant, instead it turned out her plea for mercy was an act and he saw through it, which made for a better scene in my opinion.
It's not just isekai. I've seen it over and over in general harem fantasy as well. In "S-rank Boukensha de aru Ore no Musume-tachi wa Juudo na Father-con Deshita", then the hero's power is measured with a crystal measuring device his daughter created, instead of showing various colors depending on level, it shone brighter than the sun before cracking (and apparently the daughter knew this would happen as she pulled out shades). In Misfit at Demon King Academy, the measuring device shorted out and declared his magic level to be zero. But yeah, this was a delightfully spectacular version. The reactions are always entertaining, but if you're going to play up how stupid strong the hero is you might as well make it big and flashy, and nothing says OP like turning the measuring device into a miniature nuke.

On a different note, I'm probably reading too much into it but I sort of wondered about that moment when Dia took off in the carriage and she clasped the knife tightly. It could just be her sadness at not being able to see him for a while, but it made me think something was coming up that she was seriously unhappy about, and she was trying to resolve herself and reassure herself with the sensation of the gift in her hand. But what sort of problem could be coming for a young-looking white-haired genius teacher in an isekai anime?
Old 2021-10-22, 10:48   Link #60
Frontier

Quote:
On a different note, I'm probably reading too much into it but I sort of wondered about that moment when Dia took off in the carriage and she clasped the knife tightly. It could just be her sadness at not being able to see him for a while, but it made me think something was coming up that she was seriously unhappy about, and she was trying to resolve herself and reassure herself with the sensation of the gift in her hand. But what sort of problem could be coming for a young-looking white-haired genius teacher in an isekai anime?
Well, last time it was being forced into marriage to some tool she didn't love, but it could be something else...although I think it was also because she was going to miss Lugh.