AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-10-21, 23:33   Link #41
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yuri really is awful. Series would be so much better without him.
I just like the idea of the inevitable drama when he goes after Loid as Twilight directly and he and his sister find out about their mutual careers and the fallout...and how his nationalism contrasts with everybody else .
Old 2023-10-22, 00:50   Link #42
SamCurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I just like the idea of the inevitable drama when he goes after Loid as Twilight directly and he and his sister find out about their mutual careers and the fallout...and how his nationalism contrasts with everybody else .
Well, when it comes to the relationships between the two countries, the current Ostanian and Westalis governments are actually identical (as one may recall in S1E13-14), at the point that the first thing we saw Twlight doing in S1E1 is, essentially, preventing the Ostanian foreign minister from getting into a scandal. So there's a way to reconcile between the two.
SamCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-22, 00:55   Link #43
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
A bleak episode. But I get the importance of establishing Yuri's capabilities. While showing that he can ingest Yor's cooking (and survive) along with handle her smacking him across the room, it's good to see what he can do on the job.

Sadly the job...is being part of the secret police.

So as a whole it wasn't super fun. But at least it's a useful episode for setting things up. It's really been a strange start to this season with where they picked things up in the source material. Guess we'll keep this train going for now .
Old 2023-10-22, 12:21   Link #44
SamCurt

After watching the first segment (as well as its source material), I was wondering the limits of speech in Ostania. It seems Perkin's problem isn't him writing anti-government articles per se, but selling them to the underground press (not to mention some of the things he wrote are outright fake). Does that mean Ostania actually tolerates these kinds of things within the private sphere...?
SamCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-22, 13:05   Link #45
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCurt View Post
After watching the first segment (as well as its source material), I was wondering the limits of speech in Ostania. It seems Perkin's problem isn't him writing anti-government articles per se, but selling them to the underground press (not to mention some of the things he wrote are outright fake). Does that mean Ostania actually tolerates these kinds of things within the private sphere...?
The fact that the government can arrest people for what they write not to mention the fact that it was the secret police doing it, tells you that whatever laws there are likely so vague that they can just arrest people for whatever.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-22, 13:47   Link #46
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Spy X Family Season 2.

CODE IV: Mission and Family

Observation: Although highly dangerous and risky, it's commendable to fight against the authoritarian regime by any procurable means such as writing your thoughts on the matter and have them published outside. Indeed, the pen of the writer is mightier than the gun of the soldier.

Reprobate: However, yellow journalism, exaggerating the facts, and manufacturing self-made evidence can turn you into vile scum, nevertheless, the world and media these days craves for hot news.

Lesson learned: Family matters at the end of the day so do not do anything that could jeopardize your family's well-being and happiness.

Extra lesson to account for: Young men with sister complexes are still... ...CREEPS!

CODE V: The Elegant Bondman

Personal chronicle: During my childhood the cartoons I used to watch dealt in simple terms the good guys beating the bad guys and teaching a moral to the audience. And, it never was about the hero stocking-up a harem for himself while saving the world.

CODE VI: The Heart of a Child/Waking Up

Word of advice: Children engage in nonsense that love/like there's no point for adults to overanalyze everything that children do, or one will end up with a freaking headache.

Still, an adult's awkward expression at non-understanding his child partaking in her childhood play is priceless and a must watch.

Lesson learned: Rich boys learned from experience to wake-up in time for class. Meanwhile, Girls with ESP powers oversleep due that studying is not to their liking.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-22, 22:09   Link #47
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCurt View Post
I get the feeling they wouldn't be ok with that either. A big thing for them seems to be public image of their nation. So I'd suspect critical writings would be a good way to get fired. Whether because they don't want the negative truth out there or because they don't want anything that could be used as propaganda I'm not as certain about.

It could just be that selling to the underground press was the element they wanted to focus on. Makes them sound less evil that way. Could be as simple as wanting to make it sound better than it is to keep "pure" parts of their forces like Yuri from having doubts about what they are doing. Though I could be off on that one.

At the very least I can't imagine they are actually ok with critical speech against the nation. Though anything is possible I suppose.
Old 2023-10-23, 06:37   Link #48
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

For a second I was like "Oh, I think I might like Yuri's character" and then the incest came back.....
Old 2023-10-23, 11:41   Link #49
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For me this was perhaps the weakest episode of either season. Not very funny, and nothing to advance the plot.

What life was like dealing with the real-life Yuri's in East Germany. Not very funny either. An excellent, though depressing, film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lives_of_Others
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-23, 15:27   Link #50
magnuskn

Yeah, the "oh, he's a Stasi member" thing is probably the worst part of the entire show.
Old 2023-10-23, 16:59   Link #51
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A Stasi member and an assassin working for a totalitarian government are not great choices for sympathetic treatment. The fact that SxF sometimes isn't sure if it's a comedy or not (or tries to have it both ways, at least) doesn't help in that respect.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-24, 00:41   Link #52
magnuskn

True enough. Yor kinda gets away with it, because she targets people who are more clearly coded "evil". Disappearing people who just are dissidents of public opinion seems inherently less savory.

Also, I'm not even sure Yor's agency is working for the government.
Old 2023-10-24, 01:34   Link #53
fukarming

Tatsuya Endo enjoys darker work and Spy X Family is his most light-hearted work so far but you still see he enjoys putting in darker elements like the secret police and the resemblance of East Germany.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-24, 02:49   Link #54
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I like the darker elements. I just don’t enjoy when he seems to be trying to make authoritarian stooges the good guys.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-24, 16:19   Link #55
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I like the darker elements. I just don’t enjoy when he seems to be trying to make authoritarian stooges the good guys.
I don't think Yuri is meant to come off as a "good guy," at least as far as his loyalty to the Ostanian government, especially when he's after Loid.

Of course they had to write the guy he was going after bullying some kids so .
Old 2023-10-27, 12:58   Link #56
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
True enough. Yor kinda gets away with it, because she targets people who are more clearly coded "evil". Disappearing people who just are dissidents of public opinion seems inherently less savory.

Also, I'm not even sure Yor's agency is working for the government.
Yor targets are usually those with connections to organized crime and while her organization may not be an official part of the Ostanian government, it wiould seem they're also getting contracts from them to go after people that are careful enough not to get caught by official government channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I don't think Yuri is meant to come off as a "good guy," at least as far as his loyalty to the Ostanian government, especially when he's after Loid.

Of course they had to write the guy he was going after bullying some kids so .
Yuri for me doesn't really come off as good nor evil. A bit unhinged when it comes to his sister but that's about it. Otherwise he just does his job to the best of his abilities because he believes that in protecting his country, he's protecting his sister. I'm sure if anything were to happen to shake his loyalty to his country it would have to involve Yor.

So prediction time! There will come a time when Yuri will be forced to choose between Ostanian or Yor and I think we all know what action Yuri would take.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2023-10-27 at 13:09.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-28, 11:00   Link #57
Frontier

A special pastry that grants great intelligence and the chance to be a true Imperial Scholar? Perfect premise for a story involving the kids .

It's nice to see Joker Anya and Queen Becky together again this season even if their ideas for roleplay are so different. Although if they really are separating the classes by how well you do...man, Anya is sooooo screwed .

Kids shouldn't run in the halls, but of course the kids have to race each other to see who gets to eat the special macarons! Even get Damian and Anya together on-screen again !

I can't believe frikkin' GEORGE got the macarons! At least it's easy to pester him into giving some away, but that still will leave an odd-kid out. Time for a competition !

It's rough playing old maid with a telepath, especially when she's unleashing so many classic Anya faces, though Anya realizes she played her telepathic hand too early and has to throw the game to not expose her powers. She's lucky Damian is so sweet on her that he let her win...and she was even a little sweet on him, though his tsundere nature screwed him over on that front .

Has Anya awakened as a true Imperial Scholar!? Has her true intellectual power unleashed!? Well...her grades are still bad, but it does seem like she's more knowledgeable about stuff she shouldn't really know, so maybe the effect was real? Either way, I'm glad Loid is still treating her .

It's funny watching Loid and Franky talk about Yor's real job as an assassin without knowing it, and Loid basically dismisses Garden. Boy will that come back to bite him eventually .

Franky is still determined to get a girlfriend and thinks saving the cat of a waitress from a cafe he frequents is his best bet, and it even leads to an unexpected team-up with Yor as they search for cats .

Poor Franky. His inventions are clever and creative but don't always hold up to reality, whether it be cats breaking his cat monitoring device, his capture devices all being foiled, or the exo-suit he spent 10 years building getting torn to pieces by Yor. It doesn't pay to be an inventor sometimes .

Although I like how even when he claims he's an inventor to help better the world, he just had to throw in how he also wants to make money off his inventions .

Is there anything more cuter than Yor twirling around with cats glomping her? But Yor putting the fear of GOD into Kopi is also very Yor .

I KNEW she was going to have a boyfriend. Poor Franky. Will he ever get a girlfriend ?

Yor's co-workers still seem to barely tolerate her, but that's okay because they just think she's a normal wife and not an elite assassin taking targets from Junichi Suwabe .
Old 2023-10-28, 12:20   Link #58
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Cruise Arc, here we go. One of the best parts of the manga. I wonder how many eps it will take.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-28, 18:42   Link #59
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I had completely forgotten the bit about Anya being strangely proficient in the ancient language. Felt like it was meant to be foreshadowing but that never went anywhere in the manga... yet, at least. It's slow as shit. Both the release schedule and the pacing of the story.

Cruise arc already? Definitely looking forward to it, it's amazing. I hope the animation will hold up, but I'm not too worried.
Old 2023-10-28, 21:18   Link #60
Wandering Soul

Many people were looking forward to the cruise arc, myself included. Here's hoping the anime version doesn't disappoint.