Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-09, 19:08   Link #1761
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I haven't seen the episode yet, but give the spirit a break. He's the original Banri, the rightful owner of his body that is still alive. He didn't really die.

It's normal to feel more attached to current Banri because he's the main character and gets the most screen time, but never forget that he unwillingly hijacked that body.
but in the first episode he make clear who "he died" in the accident, this body is no more "his body", old banri lose his right in being the main personality in the tragedy, he can't claim anymore this body for himself(he make this clear manytimes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Don't be too hard on the ghost of Banri past, he's only a metaphor for Banri's internal struggle with his surfacing old memories and feelings for Linda which he's trying to repress.
This isn't a ghost story.
like i told i call this a "split personality case" since we clear see who are basically 2 differente personalities inside the body and both wanting different things, the suppressed memories of the past ended turning in a secondary personality, who now want to take back the control over the current banri.

we can see who "current banri can "hear old banri inside his head".
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 19:14   Link #1762
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
But now that the door on Linda seems to be closing (or put in other words current Banri choosing not to go the path Ghost Banri wants him to take) he goes out to deliberately mess up Banri's life?
Well, isn't this exactly what you'd expect? At first, he thought he had no choice, and resigned himself to his fate. He could only watch from afar. Then, due to a combination of circumstances, the pieces with Linda started to come back together; for a few moments, he was able to "take control" of his body again. Now he's getting his hopes up; maybe I can make things right! But then, current Banri takes steps to close that opening door and Linda seems resigned to moving on, even though Ghost Banri just knows that she's still lying. So now is, in fact, the time when Ghost Banri is most likely to act, before it's really too late. Given that he really feels that strongly about Linda and thinks he can do something about it, he's going to do everything "humanly possible" (ghostly possible?) to change the course of events until he's made to give up. It'll be annoying on the one hand, but I didn't really expect him to go down (again) without a fight. (This is a guy who "died" with a huge regret and now thinks he might have a second chance. He's not thinking about what's best for Current Banri anymore, just like Current Banri was content to close the door on him.)
Old 2014-01-09, 19:21   Link #1763
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, isn't this exactly what you'd expect?
I did expect that he would try to work Banri back towards Linda or try to "take back" the body. But I didn't expect him to completely go the "vengeful spirit" route and deliberately make Banri unhappy. He of all people should know current Banri's motives and thinking best and besides, was it that surprising or unexpected that when it came down to it current Banri would choose Kouko?
Old 2014-01-09, 19:25   Link #1764
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
He of all people should know current Banri's motives and thinking best and besides, was it that surprising or unexpected that when it came down to it current Banri would choose Kouko?
I don't think he really cares that much what current Banri wants anymore, because he thinks that he has a chance to change Linda's fate and be reunited with her. It's driven entirely by emotion, not reason.
Old 2014-01-09, 19:32   Link #1765
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

I know it's a comical scene, but still... That face looks like Where's Waldo's Waldo.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 19:38   Link #1766
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
I know it's a comical scene, but still... That face looks like Where's Waldo's Waldo.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

To be honest, I didn't like the the animation quality of the entire dancing-around-Kouko sequence. Was on cringe mode for that entire stretch.
Old 2014-01-09, 19:38   Link #1767
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Did Ghost Banri just controled the weather? For god's sakes, by the time i had made up my mind about him being a second buried personality, he goes all evil spirit (i'll make you even more miserable!!11!!) and start affecting thing he shouldn't be able to...
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 19:49   Link #1768
sikvod00

Animation quality has never been one of the strong points of this show for me.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 20:40   Link #1769
SeaDoor

That's it, I have had enough of this series for now. Time for me to set it aside. Will keep tabs on this thread to see if things improve enough to warrant catching up. With either ghost or metaphor interpretation, Banri is in serious need of professional help.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 00:04   Link #1770
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

Do not think it as the ghost is effecting the weather, think of it as bad karma doing it instead. Then maybe one can sleep~

Gah the animation of those weird faces during the hey hey dance... am I the only one thinking Why so serious...

The whole cooking with Kaede moment was funny though.
Spoiler for Shuffle Kaede:
Old 2014-01-10, 00:36   Link #1771
MasterVampire

I dont understand that scene where he didnt kiss her.
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 01:11   Link #1772
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Based on:
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 03:53   Link #1773
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

13:

My general reaction to this show is that I enjoy it when it's about Linda and Banri, and not so much when it's about Koko and Banri. You can call it shipping, I don't really care about the label, but I really do not like Koko too much. I feel the show is always more genuine and real when it involves Linda, and always more fake and sun bright when it's about Koko. This isn't a matter of realism or anything, but it's hard for me to enjoy a story about a character I just don't find that likable.

The show just becomes incredibly awkward and unfunny whenever it involves Koko. I was cringing during that entire scene before the festival dance. It was just annoying.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 13:24   Link #1774
TrueDevil
Not from this world

I really did enjoy this ep. especially the comedy parts.
Ghost Banri becomes more and more creepy. Making his own self suffer is kinda insane.
Still Ghost Banri appears to be just a personification of Banris subconscious emotions.
TrueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 14:04   Link #1775
musouka

Golden Time returns!

Aside from that, I don't really have much to say about this episode, even though I enjoyed it. I think, by this point, Kouko's brand of quirkiness either works for you or it doesn't. (Her rendition of the Crane Wife was certainly stunning in more ways than one!) I wouldn't mind trying her "air yakisoba" either.

I suppose one of the things I noticed that made me a little sad is that even the maids talk down to Kouko. While, during her dad's introduction to Banri, I assumed we were going the traditional route of "I'm sorry my stupid daughter troubled you", but later on there seemed to be more to it, with the assumption that Kouko is going to destroy Banri's life. Even Mitsuo is casual in how regularly he calls her an idiot. Kouko keeps on passing these things as jokes or things than aren't a big deal--and maybe they are--but they still make me feel sort of bad when I see them play out. Especially with how her obsession with being "perfect" tends to come into play.

As for Ghost-Banri, I'm firmly in the camp of him being a manifestation of Banri's guilt over closing the door on his relationship with Linda. Ghost-Banri didn't take the credit for any of the things people are claiming he did (aka, the weather), just for Banri's hesitation and self-doubt in the face of his relationship with Kouko.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 15:08   Link #1776
maximilianjenus
[E]

this show's mcs are too annoying that even they hate themselves, first it was only kuko but now even banri.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 16:03   Link #1777
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
this show's mcs are too annoying that even they hate themselves, first it was only kuko but now even banri.
Well typically in most anime that has a male protagonist has the stereotypical Japanese Male traits. Usually very reserve, introverted, shy to the point of being called spineless, and usually above all else, indecisive. For most western audience who are stereotypical extroverted and earnest with their desires to a fault, the Japanese stereotypical male is kind of frustrating to watch.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 16:48   Link #1778
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Well typically in most anime that has a male protagonist has the stereotypical Japanese Male traits. Usually very reserve, introverted, shy to the point of being called spineless, and usually above all else, indecisive. For most western audience who are stereotypical extroverted and earnest with their desires to a fault, the Japanese stereotypical male is kind of frustrating to watch.
you really hit a great jackpot, indeed this male mc stereotype only make western readers/watchers go crazy angry cuz in our point of view, that traits are more common in "girls" than guys, making the guys looks too much "gay" what is even worse is who this trait annoying not only us western peoples but even the japaneses itself(the "herbivore man problem).

but i think this not was what he wanted to mean, was more about, how kouko keep blame herself for being too much jealous and insecure, then now ghost banri hate current banri for throwed him and his feelings toward linda away.

unlike guys like haruki, raul and others "spineless/indecisive" mcs i dont see banri being like then, we see who clear he want koko, he loves her, it does not hesitates as the "spineless mcs" at last this current part of him, we see who his big problem is his "mind who somehow get split in 2 desires, the current banri who is more decisive and fight for what he want and his lost past self, who was a crybaby and spoiled brat who hopelessly want force current banri and linda in a lost relationship, because he can't move(is trapped in the past).

this sort of "spineless/indecisive generic mc" is more common in shounen than seinen or more common in harems, in seinen the amount of mcs who are more like western "desire" is much bigger than then other side, because actually their really try to bring a more "real life mc", not just some crazy fetish(this dont means who dont have a good amount, but this type of mc in seinen is less used).

Last edited by ellessarr; 2014-01-10 at 16:58.
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 17:34   Link #1779
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Another episode and yet again I felt the need to listen to the Ghostbusters theme after it was over . Man this ghost went from being a semi-creepy stalker to a jerk. Why can't he put all this energy to just haunting Linda directly?

Not sure how everything will work out in the end. Banri certainly needs to deal with his past and not just shove it into a closet (and not just because he has a ghost haunting him). Linda needs to fully express her feelings and not just play the good guy. Even if things don't work it might allow them to really move forward. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to put Ghost Banri into this. Even if Banri and Linda accept their pasts and don't get together would that weirdo even accept it?

Some comical moments to be sure. The weird dancing that actually fixed Kouko was pretty fun. Never thought I'd see Linda make that sort of expression . The "air Yakisoba" was pretty hilarious. Kouko probably isn't a bad cook, just when it comes to feeling the pressure she does get pretty nervous.

As to the OP/ED, I liked the first ones more. They just looked and sounded better. Not sure at all what was the idea behind the new OP. The background noise just doesn't sound right and the way it drowns out the vocals just doesn't work.
Old 2014-01-10, 18:28   Link #1780
Pesti13nce

Someone posted this over on reddit about some out of this world "could be true" scenario with explaination and...my god... this makes a creepy amount of sense...

Spoiler for Reddit Post:
Pesti13nce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, comedy, drama, love triangle, romance, seinen