AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-02-27, 18:59   Link #1101
Tenzen12

Monitoring studio is someone else job and someone else problem.
Old 2015-02-27, 19:03   Link #1102
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
What do you think his job is if it's not that?
Old 2015-02-27, 19:06   Link #1103
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Noone talking about doing any favor, or pushing craft further. Sure it's great if there are some that doing it for love, but anime industry is exactly what it says: Industry. You make product for least possible prize and with enough quality to get profit. You don't need more even if it's nice.
And what's enough quality is decided by the episode directors and the line producer, not by Hiraoka. So, if an episode director tells Hiraoka that his animators suck and the shots have to be redone, it's Hiraoka's job to solve the problem.

So Hiraoka isn't doing the bare minimum. He's doing less, and the whole production will suffer for it.
Old 2015-02-27, 19:07   Link #1104
Tenzen12

And that's exactly it. Musashino is full of unusualy idealistic people. He doing bare minimum he is suppossed do, it just these people want more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
What do you think his job is if it's not that?
Going to people he has on list, carry stuff he is suppossed carry, and relay messages he is suppossed relay. Plus probably few another minor things.
Old 2015-02-27, 19:09   Link #1105
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Noone talking about doing any favor, or pushing craft further. Sure it's great if there are some that doing it for love, but anime industry is exactly what it says: Industry. You make product for least possible prize and with enough quality to get profit. You don't need more even if it's nice.
Except that you aren't going anywhere if you can't appeal your customers. Why do you think some studios sell WAY MORE than others, regardless of the series they are producing? Simply because the customers appreciated the series produced this way.

If you keep doing the bare minimum, reputation isn't going anywhere, and the workload might be even more screwed later on.

In the context of Shirobako, it is exactly due to Exodus' popularity that Yokata Bookstore decided to hire Musashino for Aerial Girls, which is considered as a major manga title in-universe.
Quote:
You aren't making any sense here neither.
The assistant producer is responsible of the cuts so that the workflow is smooth for the entire team. If he chooses loosy animators, it will lead to decrepency for the given episode and might even lead to more workload and delay (i.e what happened with the layouts in episode 18).

And it is THEIR problem because it will affect everyone's else job. Regardless if the director or the episode director is being picky or not, not giving crap about the fine details will bite your ass sooner or later, especially if it is outsourced.
That's also why Aoi got the shaft in an earlier episode for not making sure that key frame animators would keep the pace, and Kisa almost screwed her big time despite claiming he would be able to do the cuts in a single day.
Old 2015-02-27, 19:13   Link #1106
Tenzen12

It's exactly because you can't make sense of it, why you see Hiraoka as total crap.
Old 2015-02-27, 19:15   Link #1107
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Going to people he has on list, carry stuff he is suppossed carry, and relay messages he is suppossed relay. Plus probably few another minor things.
His main job is to be responsible for the cuts he's put in charge of. That means that if the people in charge of quality checking tells him the cuts have to be redone, it's his job to make sure it happens.
Old 2015-02-27, 19:17   Link #1108
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
And that's exactly it. Musashino is full of unusualy idealistic people.
It's idealistic for the director to expect his storyboard to be respected and not have animators completely ignore it and then go completely missing when asked to fix things ?
Because again, that's what the people he recommended did.

I'm not going to deny that the studio members are idealists but his screw ups go way beyond not being able to hold up to ideal standards.
Old 2015-02-27, 19:19   Link #1109
Tenzen12

You know what? Whatever, I don't really care enough to argue about it too long. You won
Old 2015-02-27, 21:39   Link #1110
novalysis

Hiroaka's philosophy is to cut corners... not so that he can be more "efficient" or "profitable" or "industrious", but rather, so he can be as lazy as possible.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-27, 21:43   Link #1111
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
To be fair, I can see where Tenzen12 is coming from.

It is notable that the Musashino Animation response to every unforeseen complication and to every onerous "redo!" demand, is to accept it and go along with it and do a lot of extra work. And they do this even with minimal, if not non-existent, complaint.

Nobody ever just says "no" to the Director. Granted, his creative ideas are good. They do tend to improve the quality of the finished product. But still, this often isn't even a basic QUALITY animation issue. This often is like the difference between good/acceptable and great/memorable. That difference is important, but I'm not sure if it's something that would make or break a studio. I'm really not sure it's something I'd feel comfortable saying to the animators, "Yeah, you're going to have to spend a few hours of working overtime just so our MC's big drama moment can be a little bit better".

And it's interesting that nobody even seemed tempted to say the following (in nicer words, but the same general idea) to the manga author for their current project: "You don't like it? Well too bad. It's your own fault for having such a ridiculously bad Editor work as an intermediary between you and us. Next time you might want to consider getting more proactively involved in anime adaptations of your manga."

Now, I'll fully admit I don't know all that much about the inner workings of the anime industry. Maybe blowing off the source material writer like this isn't even legally feasible. If it's not legally feasible, then I can certainly understand nobody seriously or even half-heartedly suggesting it. It's a bit surprising that there wasn't more grumbling and venting about it though.

I gotta say that most of the folks at Musashino Animation are remarkably good at rolling with almost anything that they can run into.
Old 2015-02-27, 21:52   Link #1112
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And it's interesting that nobody even seemed tempted to say the following to the manga author for their current project: "You don't like it? Well too bad. It's your own fault for having such a ridiculously bad Editor work as an intermediary between you and us."
Considering Katsuragi and Watanabe's reactions after Chazawa dropped the bombshell, it is more like they can't say no.
As far as it goes, Katsuragi and Watanabe had to pull many stunts to get the contract with Yotaka (hence why you saw both of them negociating with several employees, be it the editor in chief or the Organization head). As such, it isn't like they are in position to do as they see fit.

Therefore, it is very likely that in such instance, Yotaka would have the last say, and if the author of their current best seller is unhappy with the anime, it isn't surprising for them to complain to the studio.
Likewise, it also explains why Watanabe and Katsuragi had to comply when Chazawa asked them a PV out of the blue.

Even though it is quite rare, there are series that the author has the final word.
Old 2015-02-27, 22:46   Link #1113
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Wow....Hiraoka is AWFULLLLLLL.......Diesel-san should've walloped him one as well.

Did this show forget about the poor girl trying to be a VA?
Old 2015-02-27, 23:45   Link #1114
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
It's exactly because you can't make sense of it, why you see Hiraoka as total crap.
There is a huge gap between "total perfectionist idealist" and "slacker who doesn't even try and pisses on everyone".
This isn't a digital world where there's only 0s and 1s.
I'd never hire you, you sound like a terrible worker.

Last edited by aohige; 2015-02-27 at 23:56.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-27, 23:51   Link #1115
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Wow....Hiraoka is AWFULLLLLLL.......Diesel-san should've walloped him one as well.

Hiraoka has slipped below Taorou in my estimation. That was a rather disgusting sexist attack on Diesel-chan.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 00:03   Link #1116
prototype_sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Hiraoka has slipped below Taorou in my estimation. That was a rather disgusting sexist attack on Diesel-chan.
542]

Most of the main male characters on this show seem to have a negative aspect to them.
What was the last anime PA Works made with a good male lead "Angel Beats"?

Last edited by prototype_sky; 2015-02-28 at 00:20.
prototype_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 00:14   Link #1117
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post

Poor Zuka....maybe the show will remember she exists by the last episode .
Old 2015-02-28, 02:11   Link #1118
Tormenk

Madoka's reason for creating anime seems to be exact opposite to the mindset that Hiraoka might hold. "I do it because I can't wait to work on the next project." A passionate answer, echoed in reality by Monty Oum in his tribute video on why he works tirelessly to the extent of sleeping at his desk.

Can't tell where the subplot with Hiraoka is going but for how long it's been on-going hopefully the payoff will be worth it.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 02:55   Link #1119
ices
Working Hard

Hiraoka needs to learn from Hachiman (oregairu) how to becomes cynical and lazy.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 06:34   Link #1120
EroKing

NSFW
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

NSFW
Nyantype
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tags
p.a. works, slice of life