AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2008-11-17, 17:31   Link #301
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Quote:
No, here you are correct. Sasuke used chakra to increase his bodies reaction time to match his Sharingan's reaction time. So, Sasuke learned how to use chakra control to recreate Lee's speed.
Oh, thank you sir. Seriously, thank you. I was beginning to think it was all in my head. So I didn't imagine after all.

Quote:
LOL, you are generalizing "side-effects" too much, merely looking at an extreme example. For instance, there are immediate side-effects such as Lee's gates or Chouji's pills; then there are prolonged side-effects such as Tsunade's regeneration seal, the Curse Seal, and Naruto using the Kyuubi, which all get progressively worse the more that the individuals use the techniques; then there are mild side-effects, such as Kakashi's Sharingan draining his chakra; and finally the passive side-effects, that could be disabilitating, but generally do nothing, such as Neji's Caged Bird Seal.

If you only focus on side-effects that lead to death, then yes Sasuke Curse Seal does not compare, but when you look at the realm of all the side-effects for all the characters, then the Curse Seals side-effects are fairly standard, and should be treated as such.
Well, the point I trying to make with the whole "side-effect" thing was that most of the Konoha 11 have something that would put them right there with the top dogs, but there's always a catch when it comes to them. Like "8 gates will kill you", or "Byakugan has a blind spot", or "you can only use nature chakra for 5 minutes before it runs out, after which time you must stand perfectly still to recharge it" (ok, this one is solved. But it was very lame if I must say. I would much rather he had kept the 5 minutes deadline and then have Naruto eventually work something out on his own, as opposed to "oh, it's just the fucking frog helping him out"). There is always something that holds them back, a crippling side-effect or exploitable flaw that prevents them from using it, thus keeping them behind in the power rankings. Sasuke is the only character that not only gets the cool powers by convenient means, but they also come with the most acceptable drawbacks. It's never something that prevents him from use it or that could cause him to lose a fight. "Naruto was given the Kyuubi too". Well, yes. But it came with it's fair share of drawbacks, so it kinda balanced out. The same thing that makes him strong is the same thing that keeps him behind. It's kinda like Clare from Claymore.

Quote:
This...everything here is similar to Sasuke, Naruto, Sakura, Jiraiya, Kakashi, and many more. This is not a legitimate realm of discussion because every character gets these hand outs. Look at Jiraiya during the Pain fight. All of a sudden, without any adequate foreshadowing, Kishimoto gave Jiraiya Senjutsu. This extreme hax ability let Jiraiya, by himself, fight evenly with all 6 Pain bodies, and the only reason that he died was because Jiraiya choose to analyze Pain's power for a longer period than he should have. There are multiple characters throughout the series that use powers that come out of left-field. To only focus on Sasuke is disingenuous and biased.
But it is different with Jiraiya, we already expected him to be hax. He was one of the legendary sannin, the 4th Hokages's master, etc. They don't need to spoil out everything, we can just assume that he fought countless battles and went through many harsh trainings and developed a number of powerful techniques. It's not that he became strong all of a sudden... But with Sasuke... Well, when I say "fell from the sky", I know it didn't literally fall from the heavens with angelic light piercing through the clouds. Or course Kishimoto would have to come up with actual situations he gets those powers. But he is the only character who gets new power ups like that. Like, when Chouji took his pill it was only temporary, but when Sasuke took his pill it was for good (or until someone removes it anyway). But Chouji's pill would fuck him up right away, while Sasuke's pill would only kill him eventually. Shikamaru didn't get to keep Hidan's immortality when he defeated him. When Chouji saw his father's dead body, he didn't gain a super hax ability that only fat people can use (could still happen in the next chapter. Don't hold your breath, though). Shit like that only happens to Sasuke. If it was at least shown as a conscious effort from him, like "I know I will get Orochimaru's powers if I do this", or "I know I will awaken MS if I fight Itachi", then it would count as talent. Big time. But all these things happened completely outside of his control, he never intended for any of that to happen. Kishimoto made it seem totally random, like "I wanna make Sasuke stronger, so... Here, have this". I mean, I understand he intended for Sasuke to be a super off-the-hook genius all along, he uses the damn word in half of the dialogs that mention Sasuke. But he did a very poor job of showing it. I mean, I don't know how hard elemental manipulation really is, I really don't. He could've elaborated a lot more on this one just to show how big of a deal it was that he learned it at such a young age. But he made it seem rather trivial. In the flashback where his father is talking him through it, the point of the scene was to show how his father favored Itachi. In fact, seeing his father's disappointment gives you the impression that it wasn't very difficult at all and that Sasuke was a fuck up for not doing it right (again, I'm not saying it wasn't impressive, just how the scene didn't highlight it properly). Kakashi was impressed that a gennin even had chakra to pull it off, not at the difficulty. And Sasuke was the only one of the Konoha 11 that was even taught elemental manipulation at that point, so it is hard to gauge his talent just by that. Like, if there was a scene with more of the gennin being taught and not getting it, then we would know. That's what I'm saying, instead of have every character refer to him as a genius 50 times per chapter, show it through actual events. Like, they are all training for something and he learns whatever it is they are learning in half the time it takes for everyone else, or he is the only one who learns it at all. But the only time they are seen training together, it is Sakura who actually gets it in the first try, while Sasuke is tied with Naruto for second place. The Chuunin Exam was another wasted opportunity. Like, the chidori training could've been something that would separate him from the rest. But then in the same time span, Neji develops that absolute defense that was supposed to be a secret of his clan. All that on his own, no less. Then Naruto learns rasengan in a week... And I've already discussed enough about his evolution post time skip. Madara says "His eyes will surpass Itachi's". Well, how does he figure? Because Sasuke is not half the ninja Itachi was at the same age. While it is fine for him to assume that Sasuke will turn out to be great, he has no logical reason to assume he will surpass Itachi. Like I said, he did a very poor job of showing off Sasuke's talent, insted he comes off as just a hax. Like Ichigo from Bleach...

Quote:
That is not true at all. Nature manipulation is considered extremely hard, something that only high level chuunins and Jounin can perform. The fact that Sasuke was able to do this so early in life and so quickly is phenomenal.

(The Sharingan does not copy elemental manipulation, the user must learn how to maipulate their own chakra.)
I didn't mean to trivialize it, what I meant was that was a situation where talent could actually kick in. It makes perfect sense that a talented person would learn a certain move in half the time it would take for a normal person. But it is different for thingS like physical strength or speed. Kenshin_Uchiha said "I couldn't play a song on the guitar last week and now I can, what are your basis to say he could have done it before?". Well, the point is you weren't trying to play that song before last week, while Sasuke has been training since he was 6. So if that was something he could've done naturally and in such a short time span, he should've done it by then. And if sharingan had no influence on it then it would've made no difference whether he had seen Lee in action or not .
aliasxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 13:32   Link #302
Kenshin_Uchiha
Kenjutsu God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasxn View Post
I didn't mean to trivialize it, what I meant was that was a situation where talent could actually kick in. It makes perfect sense that a talented person would learn a certain move in half the time it would take for a normal person. But it is different for thingS like physical strength or speed. Kenshin_Uchiha said "I couldn't play a song on the guitar last week and now I can, what are your basis to say he could have done it before?". Well, the point is you weren't trying to play that song before last week, while Sasuke has been training since he was 6. So if that was something he could've done naturally and in such a short time span, he should've done it by then. And if sharingan had no influence on it then it would've made no difference whether he had seen Lee in action or not .
Actually I was trying, where did you base that assumption on?

His speed kept increasing over the years, but you said it yourself he used chackra to achieve it, his chackra controll was growing at a fast rate to (not because he was a genius of course ) he specifically trained his speed and that technique, and lee's taijutsu. Did he do that since he was 6? again there is no basis to say so. It was that combination of variables that allowed him to achieve it.
Kenshin_Uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote