AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-12-28, 02:24   Link #1
mechdra

Revolutionary anime

There had been many anime that change the anime industry once and for all and I would like to discuss what anime do you think is revolutionary? For this year, Amagami SS and Yosuga no Sora are the ones I think will changed the dating sim genre. Amagami with its multiple stories and Yosuga no Sora with its controversial scenes and stories. PSG's interesting graphic is another one worth mentioning.

However, some of them cause a more negative impact like NGE and Gundam SEED Destiny where I can see that it affects the way anime were made due to director's fear of being murdered. There are many more but this are my highlights, what do you think?
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 03:10   Link #2
GundamFan0083

Two anime instantly come to mind.

Gundam 0079 (the 1979 anime series) and Space Battleship Yamato.

Without those two, the Sci-Fi genre of anime would not be what it is today IMHO.
Old 2010-12-28, 03:24   Link #3
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I don't even think that Amagami should be qualified as revolutionary. The omnibus format seems to have been chosen so the director don't upset otakus because their "waifu" route and ending have not been animated.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 03:26   Link #4
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdra View Post
There had been many anime that change the anime industry once and for all and I would like to discuss what anime do you think is revolutionary? For this year, Amagami SS and Yosuga no Sora are the ones I think will changed the dating sim genre. Amagami with its multiple stories and Yosuga no Sora with its controversial scenes and stories. PSG's interesting graphic is another one worth mentioning.
Amagami is already considered to be subpar for having bad transition from one arc to another. No, Clannad still is the queen of date sims.

Yosuga no Sora has negative hype all over the place. And it is not even revolutionary. Aki Sora is. The anime version is equally negative but the manga version is great.

It is hard to talk about revolutionary anime in recent years as new anime feel a lot like taking ideas from earlier works.

I had this list of memorable anime by year and the older titles were easily given a description of why they are famous. Newer anime on the other hand feel good for beeing just a better version of an earlier work
Spoiler for don't mind the weird letters in brankets:

But revolutionary this year? I only consider Katanagatari to be a very good way of entertaining us with trolling and Tatami Galaxy is great as a romantic comedy with sci-fi and psychology that brings everything together in the end. But many would say Katanagatari is like Bakemonogatari in terms of heavy dialogue and Tatami Galaxy is taking ideas from Endless Eight or Groundhog Day.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 04:54   Link #5
mechdra

Seems like there are a number of interesting anime out thre that change the anime industry.

For Aki Sora, I agree it is a good anime but it is a hentai by itself where it could not be aired like Yosuga no Sora.

One thing I need to be clear, a good anime does not nessasry change the anime industry. Clannad is a good anime but I personally could not see how it affect the anime industry. For example some anime directed by Tomino define what is a bad endto the extend he wonder why he made such anime. Sailormoon may not be the first magical girl anime but it did bring magical girl anime to the international level. Doraemon entertain kids for many generation and become the benchmark for kids anime. Dragonball define what I call human battlecruiser. Ruroni Kenshin bring samarai anime to a new level.
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 05:57   Link #6
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
For Aki Sora, I agree it is a good anime but it is a hentai by itself where it could not be aired like Yosuga no Sora.
Hard to say. Some sites designate it as seinen ova with sex and not hentai.

Quote:
One thing I need to be clear, a good anime does not nessasry change the anime industry. Clannad is a good anime but I personally could not see how it affect the anime industry. For example some anime directed by Tomino define what is a bad endto the extend he wonder why he made such anime. Sailormoon may not be the first magical girl anime but it did bring magical girl anime to the international level. Doraemon entertain kids for many generation and become the benchmark for kids anime. Dragonball define what I call human battlecruiser. Ruroni Kenshin bring samarai anime to a new level.
If you are reffering to publicity, then the quality or innovation of an anime play a secodary purpose. Being famous and being a good watch are not going together. For example, far less people know of Yuyu Hakusho than Bleach despite being equally good fighting shonen. And Code Geass is far-far more popular than Galactic Heroes despite the first being a retelling of previous works and the later being a more serious and quality anime that revolutionized Space Operas in all media.
Old 2010-12-28, 10:12   Link #7
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

this could be nice guide to see what anime is influential

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...EssentialAnime
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 12:05   Link #8
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Many anime were never translated in western languages (eg "Dougram") or old and rarely seen (eg award winner "Crusher Joe") so i would wary of people who say they can give a definitive word on what is revolutionary
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 12:20   Link #9
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I don't even think that Amagami should be qualified as revolutionary. The omnibus format seems to have been chosen so the director don't upset otakus because their "waifu" route and ending have not been animated.
Uh ? I'm sorry but it doesn't change teh fact that the omnibus format is a new format and so is revolutionary. There are good thing from this format !

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Amagami is already considered to be subpar for having bad transition from one arc to another. No, Clannad still is the queen of date sims.
Bad transition from one arc to another ? What do you mean by that ? How can you have bad transition from different arcs when you have a reset each time ?

And why are you talking about Clannad here ? We're talking about revolutionnary anime not about being the queen of date sims .
Old 2010-12-28, 12:41   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

One could spend all day arguing whether a "new thing" was revolutionary or evolutionary. The omnibus format, for example, pretty new for the 'choose the girl' genre in anime but whether it is just an evolutionary step from the 'serial romance' or revolutionary... well it'll depend on whether it becomes the normal format for that genre or not.

And yet again, we have certain posters making sweeping assertions as if their personal opinion was 'fact'

I'd restrict "revolutionary" to items that actually change the standard format or minimum expectations... having trouble coming up with any that do that. Now if you want to discuss which series in various genre are ICONIC for that genre....
Old 2010-12-28, 12:46   Link #11
Kusa-San

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
One could spend all day arguing whether a "new thing" was revolutionary or evolutionary. The omnibus format, for example, pretty new for the 'choose the girl' genre in anime but whether it is just an evolutionary step from the 'serial romance' or revolutionary... well it'll depend on whether it becomes the normal format for that genre or not.

And yet again, we have certain posters making sweeping assertions as if their personal opinion was 'fact'

I'd restrict "revolutionary" to items that actually change the standard format or minimum expectations... having trouble coming up with any that do that. Now if you want to discuss which series in various genre are ICONIC for that genre....
I don't see why it can't be evolutionary and revolutionary at the same time
Old 2010-12-28, 13:02   Link #12
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:

Yosuga no Sora has negative hype all over the place. And it is not even revolutionary. Aki Sora is. The anime version is equally negative but the manga version is great.
The difference is that YnS is a TV series and Aki Sora is an OVA.

Second, I wouldn't use English language fan reaction as an indicator of whether or not series like those two are revolutionary, since that's not the target market. What other companies are going to pay attention to is how well the shows sell to the Japanese market relative to dating sim adaptations of a similar profile.

Right now, Amagami SS is averaging 5.5K per volume, which is pretty high for a non-Key, non-Type Moon game adaptation. That being said, Amagami was a pretty high profile titles so it's tricky for me to tell if that means anything right now. We haven't seen real sales numbers for Yosuga no Sora yet, but most indicators suggest they're pretty high.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 13:28   Link #13
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Uh ? I'm sorry but it doesn't change teh fact that the omnibus format is a new format and so is revolutionary. There are good thing from this format !

Which is why I said "Think" and "Seems", the format have yet to convince me for reasons that are widely discussed in other forums and that resonated with mine. For now, it is wait and see as far as I am concerned.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 13:37   Link #14
Kusa-San

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Which is why I said "Think" and "Seems", the format have yet to convince me for reasons that are widely discussed in other forums and that resonated with mine. For now, it is wait and see as far as I am concerned.
Ok sorry. It's true that I overreacted
Old 2010-12-28, 14:32   Link #15
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Well then, I'm not sure if this is iconic or revolutionary, but what about Dragon Ball Z? It initiated a lot of the more casual fans [in the United States] to anime who otherwise didn't know what Cowboy Bebop was, and there's hardly a fan [of anime] who hasn't at least heard of it, at least as far as our American audiences go. And if profit = popularity, how much %-wise does the Dragon Ball franchise in general make for FUNimation?

And then we have The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, the show where an innocent statement was made about how essential moe' is to anime that buying fans took a little too far (but worry not, I say that in jest. One look at most of the anime I've watched would definitely convince you of that). And of course, we can't forget Revolutionary Girl Utena.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 15:43   Link #16
roriconfan
Banned

And if Galactic Heroes had ever aired on tv, most later anime would fall into oblivion a few months after finished airing.

Yes, that is one big if.

Revolutuionary means being the first to begin a trend, right? Ok, Astro Boy is revolutuionary as its style was benchmark for how anime look today. Yet even that had its roots in Walt Disney drawing style, so it is revolutionary in Japanese animation thereafter ONLY. Then we have Mahou Tsukai Sally, which is the very first mahou shoujo ever made and the show all others copied later. Yet even that was based on the american show Bewitched so it is again revolutionary in Japan ONLY. And so on, and so on.
Old 2010-12-28, 16:44   Link #17
fukarming

A good anime doesn't mean it is revolutionary. A revolutionary anime needs to change how future anime is made. To achieve that you either need massive popularity, or at least a loyal cult following. It is too early to tell, but I doubt Amagami SS and Yosuga no Sora are iconic enough to be a revolutionary anime - unless your definition of revolutionary anime is different from mine - My definition of revolutionary anime is that it only happen once every couple years.

I don't think Legend of Galactic Heroes is revolutionary even it is a good show. We don't see a huge influx of fictional historical space drama in the 90s. We don't see a lot of Reinhard or Yang Wenli clone around as well.

Gundam 0079 is revolutionary, as it introduce the "real and war" aspect into the anime scene. Before gundam 0079 mecha are known to be about friendship and hotblood (Getter and Mazinger, among many others)

NGE is revolutionary, as before NGE mecha is made of steel and mechanic. After EVA we have a huge influx of bio-robot. Also NGE introduce whiny main pilots, silent girl archtype. It also focus on the inner emotional struggle of the pilots, rather than focusing on struggle from the outside (like war and death)

Tenchi Muyo is revolutionary for the harem anime genre. Before Tenchi Muyo, romantic comedy are mostly portrayed in a love polygon (A and B love C, but C loves D, and D is chased by E and F, yet E forms a bond with A - think Ranma). Tenchi Muyo starts the focus on one male loves by every female in the show. It is perfected in Love Hina, and since then we have a harem anime almost every season.

Azumanga Daioh is revolutionary for the 4-koma genre. I cannot recall a single 4-koma manga turned into an anime before Azumanga Daioh. After its success, we are seeing a 4-koma based anime every year - K-on, Lucky star, Doki Doki School Hours, Hidamari Sketch etc.

Argubly, Card Captor Sakura is also revolutionary. Before CCS, no one watch magical girl for its action (think sailor moon - they are using the exact sequence every episode, the action is boring as hell). CCS introduce the concept that magical fighting can be fun too. It is of course perfected in Nanoha series, which the main focus is about Nanoha and friends fighting awesome battles blasting people and stuff around.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 17:02   Link #18
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
I don't think Legend of Galactic Heroes is revolutionary even it is a good show. We don't see a huge influx of fictional historical space drama in the 90s. We don't see a lot of Reinhard or Yang Wenli clone around as well.
I never understood why space operas are so overlooked. Maybe the main audience likes Earth bound stories. But not many clones? Come on, Reinhart and Lelouch, Wenli and L? The similarities are more than a few. It just took a lot of years for these types to appear. Which is again sad.

Quote:
Gundam 0079 is revolutionary, as it introduce the "real and war" aspect into the anime scene. Before gundam 0079 mecha are known to be about friendship and hotblood (Getter and Mazinger, among many others)

NGE is revolutionary, as before NGE mecha is made of steel and mechanic. After EVA we have a huge influx of bio-robot. Also NGE introduce whiny main pilots, silent girl archtype. It also focus on the inner emotional struggle of the pilots, rather than focusing on struggle from the outside (like war and death)

Tenchi Muyo is revolutionary for the harem anime genre. Before Tenchi Muyo, romantic comedy are mostly portrayed in a love polygon (A and B love C, but C loves D, and D is chased by E and F, yet E forms a bond with A - think Ranma). Tenchi Muyo starts the focus on one male loves by every female in the show. It is perfected in Love Hina, and since then we have a harem anime almost every season.
True to all that.

Quote:
Azumanga Daioh is revolutionary for the 4-koma genre. I cannot recall a single 4-koma manga turned into an anime before Azumanga Daioh. After its success, we are seeing a 4-koma based anime every year - K-on, Lucky star, Doki Doki School Hours, Hidamari Sketch etc.
There was Di Gi Charat in 1999 that had success amongst the NEETs of that time.

Quote:
Argubly, Card Captor Sakura is also revolutionary. Before CCS, no one watch magical girl for its action (think sailor moon - they are using the exact sequence every episode, the action is boring as hell). CCS introduce the concept that magical fighting can be fun too. It is of course perfected in Nanoha series, which the main focus is about Nanoha and friends fighting awesome battles blasting people and stuff around.
Nope, almost no mahou shoujo after Sakura dropped the repeating sequences or the formulaic fighting.
Old 2010-12-28, 17:18   Link #19
Blaat

Can Anigami SS truly be considered revolutionary? It's not the first anime to use the omnibus format (Diamond Dust Drops predates it for example)
Quote:
Sazae-san, the longest runing anime, is also based on a 4-koma.
Old 2010-12-28, 17:42   Link #20
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Then how about Azumanga Daioh setting the table for high school 4 komas based shows like "K-on, Lucky star, Doki Doki School Hours, Hidamari Sketch etc."?

I would have considered Anigami SS "revolutionary" if it came out,had great success and a couple seasons later a bunch of omnibus format shows after seeing the success Anigami SS had.
But that's not really the case,it just so happens a few shows are using the omnibus format this year but they're all coming out at roughly the same time,it's like a bunch of people started thinking "hey,lets use the omnibus format" at the same time.