AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-05-07, 03:10   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Rooting for the villains?

Do you ever find yourself rooting for the antagonists of any story? Granted, there are some morally reprehesnsible villains who caused massive amounts of destruction with no remorse whatsoever but there are also antagonists that you can sympathize with even if you do not agree with their motives. I heard that UC Gundam fans sympathize a lot with Zeon in spite of the fact that there were directly responsible for the destruction of Sydney, Australia in the series. While nnot all of them all complete monsters, what they had in common with the Federation is that they were just soldiers defending their country. Although Gundam may not be the best example of this as the later UC and even AU Gundam had quite a few complete monster villains, do you find yourself rooting for the villains or the antagonists in the anime you watch?
Old 2012-05-07, 03:22   Link #2
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I don't like rooting for the villains (cause I'm a pacifist individual) but the only villain I can sympathize with is Broly from Dragon Ball Z since he's also my favorite character.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2012-05-07 at 07:55.
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 05:50   Link #3
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

The early parts of Gundam 00, where I find those the Celestial Being fought to be more interesting than our supposed-to-be protagonists. When Sergei died (Rest in Peace, comrade) I lost interest in the story.
Old 2012-05-07, 05:52   Link #4
Lenaisian
The Undead Summoner

@ ^

I don't think Kyubey (known as an Incubator) from Madoka Magica is villainous enough... and it only tells those involved the truth about human moralities (well, that's my opinion about it, no offense).
Old 2012-05-07, 07:53   Link #5
Farplaner

I guess technically, "L" is the villian in Death Note, so I rooted for him.
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 09:52   Link #6
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Yagami is the villain, L is the antagonist, I believe?
Death note is when villian is the protagonist. And in those animes, I usually like both the villain and the opposition.

I like to root for random bad ass mercenaries hired by the main antagonist. They usually don't have the morals/motives of the true main antagonist/villian but simply follow their loyalty/code, and because of their secondary character role, they don't have a major character development and show only bad-assery from beginning to end. It's kind of like a steamroller falling from the sky and making a mess of everything.

- Sara from Samurai Shamploo (crazy-ass blind girl with the bardiche)
- Mifune from Soul Eater
- Alexander Anderson from Hellsing
- Kyuzo from Samurai 7

I'm not so much the sympathetic type, most villians' reasoning are hardly logical or just extremely cliche. So I don't particular root for anyone because they have some sob story to share.

I also root for antagonist if the main character is a 1-dimensional un-progressive useless whiny little
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 09:58   Link #7
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I will only root for the villain if the protagonists are so unintinteresting that I want them to fail.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 10:00   Link #8
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

It depends.For me, I will start rooting for the villain if I don't have a good impression of the MC. I don't root for villains based on their morality, and the same goes for MCs in any animes. Morality is extremely subjective, so I won't bother trying to crack my brain deciding whose ideology(MC and villain) is better. I go for characters who have a lasting impression.

Sometimes, I root for villains based on their appearance. For instance, Shishio from Makoto. The first time I watched him on tele, I was pretty awed by his appearance. You don't always get to watch evil badass guy wrapped in bandages from top to bottom who also happens to be a master swordsman.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 10:12   Link #9
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Also if the antagonist is comic relief. Like a lotta people from Gintama XD I root for them knowing they'll fail on epic proportions.
Old 2012-05-07, 10:15   Link #10
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

i'll root for Itachi from Naruto ,all though he was villan till the truth was out, later he became a hero.
then Ulquiorra from Bleach, he was way too awsome
that's it for now, can't think of anyone else
Old 2012-05-07, 10:15   Link #11
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Also if the antagonist is comic relief. Like a lotta people from Gintama XD I root for them knowing they'll fail on epic proportions.
I root for ALL antagonists in Gintama. My favourite Gintama antagonist is Jiraia. Awesome character he is.

Old 2012-05-07, 10:21   Link #12
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystogan View Post
i'll root for Itachi from Naruto ,all though he was villan till the truth was out, later he became a hero.
Yeah those types -sometimes- really get me to root for them. Gin Ichimaru R.I.P.
It just occurred to me he's the only protagonist that dies in the anime. Everyone else is an antagonist.
Old 2012-05-07, 10:25   Link #13
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I will only root for the villain if the protagonists are so unintinteresting that I want them to fail.
That wasn't the case for me, I don't root for antagonists (I don't like rooting for them except Broly and Tayuya) even when the protagonists are little whiny brats.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 10:29   Link #14
sa547
*Author

Some of the most interesting antagonists that left quite an impression:

* Lord Jeremiah, or Orange-kun
* Shishio
* Britai Kridanik
Old 2012-05-07, 10:30   Link #15
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
I will only root for the villain if the protagonists are so uninteresting that I want them to fail.
That happens more time than I can remember (f**king emo's and ordinary boys turned heroes). OTOH sometimes both sides *cough* Guilty Crown *cough* are so annoying I hoped for a meteor to fall down and kill everyone.
Old 2012-05-07, 10:32   Link #16
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Some of the most interesting antagonists that left quite an impression:

* Lord Jeremiah, or Orange-kun
* Shishio
* Britai Kridanik
Can one really consider Orange-kun as an antagonist?

Old 2012-05-07, 10:56   Link #17
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I know people that do that.

The kind that would back the Galactic Empire in Star Wars because to them the Empire is a government of law and order while the Rebel Alliance is at its core, terrorists and pirates (from a certain point of view).

Same group supports the orcs and Sauron in Lord of the Rings. Might and Order over the broken, divided, and I suppose they called them "foolishly idealistic" men of the west, elves, hobbits, and dwarves. In gaming groups they refer to the orcs as the good guys.
Old 2012-05-07, 11:05   Link #18
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Pretty much never....unless Lucy from Elfen Lied counts.
Old 2012-05-07, 11:34   Link #19
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I know people that do that.

The kind that would back the Galactic Empire in Star Wars because to them the Empire is a government of law and order while the Rebel Alliance is at its core, terrorists and pirates (from a certain point of view).
You are forgetting the more shallow portion of the fans rooting for the Galactic Empire, the Axis and other empires only because "they have the prettier clothes."
Old 2012-05-07, 11:42   Link #20
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
You are forgetting the more shallow portion of the fans rooting for the Galactic Empire, the Axis and other empires only because "they have the prettier clothes."
Or cooler-looking war machines (compare Star Destroyer to Mon Calamari Cruiser)