AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-07-24, 20:50   Link #1
Anime-fan10

Cross Edge

Lately, I've had a desire to play a great rpg game similar to rpgs I played years ago, like Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross, etc. Games that didn't have the real time battle system that they have now in a lot of rpgs. I don't like running around fighting enemies in that type of format. I miss the old rpgs where one could engage in the old battle systems rpgs would have. I came across this game called Cross Edge that has the old battle system but slightly different from what I've heard. I heard it was a good game so I'm considering getting it.

1) Has anyone else played this game and is it any good?
2) Also, does anyone know any games like the old school Final Fantasy games or w/ that battle system for the current systems?
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 21:04   Link #2
JohnNiles

Cross Edge has a horrendous reputation. I have it but haven't played it, so I can't really be specific. But I do have a grudge against the game's developer, based on some of the other trash they released.
JohnNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 21:42   Link #3
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Try some of the Atlus games, they're all turn based with no real time elements. EG Persona 3/4, Nocturne etc.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 22:07   Link #4
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Cross Edge is only good if you're a fan of the games they feature. Plot is kinda lacking, so the main draw are the characters and the interaction between them. If you aren't familiar with the characters, I find it hard for the average person to get into the game because they just aren't invested in them from before.

Either that, or you are a big fan of quirky battle systems that really challenges you. It's not like old school FF battle system at the very least, but it is turn based for what its worth. The closest battle system from a major game would be from the Valkyrie Profile series, but with damage effects if you do certian skill strings together. Note that it has MAJOR emphasis on you using a certain combination of skills, as they are pretty much a necessity to do enough damage on bosses.

Overall, it was a fun game, but again I'm not your typical RPG player who played most of the games featured there in Cross Edge, and I adore difficulty.

If you want a very similar battle system to Cross Edge but with you able to start getting to know the characters from scratch, there's Record of Agarest War 2 (and only 2, as the original and zero are more TRPGs) which draws heavily upon CE.

As for really old school battle systems... hmm, I think you're better off in the handheld. Apart from the FF3 remake, there's also FF 4 Heroes of Light. Check out Riviera or something more traditional and recent (ironically enough), Hexyz Force.

Or last generation, with titles like Persona 3/4 and Suikoden V.

Because really? There is like next to no turn based RPGs for PS3 apart from the Atelier games (which has HUGE emphasis on Alchemy), and Tactical RPGs. There's also 'half turn based' games like Eternal Sonata and Resonance of Fate, but I don't think you're looking for those.

Alternatively, if you have 360, Lost Oddysey has an interesting story. Blue Dragon is more childish, but is a bit fun.

tl;dr
Turnbased RPGs for PS3 (can't guarantee you'll like them though as most of them are low rated)
-Neptunia
-Last Rebellion
-Cross Edge
-Enchanted Arms
-Atelier Rorona/Totori
-Record of Agarest War 2

For the 360
-The Last Remnant
-Blue Dragon
-Lost Oddysey

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 18:47   Link #5
Anime-fan10

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I appreciate it. I'll definitely look into the titles suggested. I really miss the turn based rpgs; those are classics for me. These real-time battle systems nowadays just don't do it for me. Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Anime-fan10 is offline   Reply With Quote