AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-08-07, 17:02   Link #1
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Epic Adventure Fantasies with Focus on Plot

Quite a specific set of parameters, I know, but I was watching some old episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender the other day (more specifically, the episode where a certain antagonist makes the decision to join our heroes ) and I really got a hankering for another experience like that: an epic journey through exotic lands with a rather involving plot.

I recall experiencing similar 'epic journeys' through anime like Twelve Kingdoms (fantastic show). Some other ones that might qualify off the top of my head would be Kino's Journey (less plot than I want but more than enough 'epic journey-ness' to make up for it), Scrapped Princess (plot wasn't quite up to par by my adult standards but I really liked this back in the day), and even the first half of Gurren Lagann could kind of qualify (though they're leaning more towards post-apocalyptic journey, I suppose).
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 17:08   Link #2
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Here's what I have:

Guin Saga & Wolf's Rain
Old 2012-08-07, 17:08   Link #3
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

The first one that came to my mind was Saiyuki.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 17:17   Link #4
VampirePaladin

Well, first of all, if you liked the 12 Kingdoms anime I recommend the books.

If you want something with an epic feel than how about Magic Knight Rayearth? It is Clamp's first big hit and Fuu is aware how fantasy adventure like their journey is.
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 17:34   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Hmm. I would have expected someone to have mentioned the Production I.G adapatations of anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko's light novels, Seirei no Moribito and Kemono no Sou-ja Erin. Saiunkoku Monogatari is a bit less epic but has some similarities to these and Twelve Kingdoms, and not just because they are all set in fantasy Asian kingdoms.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 18:36   Link #6
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Hmm. I would have expected someone to have mentioned the Production I.G adapatations of anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko's light novels, Seirei no Moribito and Kemono no Sou-ja Erin. Saiunkoku Monogatari is a bit less epic but has some similarities to these and Twelve Kingdoms, and not just because they are all set in fantasy Asian kingdoms.
I highly agree with Seirei no Moribito, if you liked 12 Kingdoms, you will probably enjoy it.

Also maybe Katanagatari?
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 20:13   Link #7
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by VampirePaladin View Post
Well, first of all, if you liked the 12 Kingdoms anime I recommend the books.

If you want something with an epic feel than how about Magic Knight Rayearth? It is Clamp's first big hit and Fuu is aware how fantasy adventure like their journey is.
I second Magic Knight Rayearth.

I'd also add The Slayers and El Hazard: The Magnificent World.

All three are 90s anime, though, so be aware that the visuals aren't quite on the level of what we have today.
Old 2012-08-07, 21:12   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

In the name of all that's holy, Seirei no Moribito.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 21:17   Link #9
Gomenasai
The Poster-guy

Hunter X hunter
Gomenasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 22:47   Link #10
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Epic journeys through exotic lands with involving plots in a fantasy(ish) setting:

1) Now and Then, Here and There. An adventure series inspired by the Rwanda conflict. A powerful message of keeping hope alive. Don't let the first episode fool you. It's the way it is to provide contrast for the rest of the series.

2) Simoun. It's easy to disregard this as lesbian otaku bait, but there's a fairly good, epic story that spans the ages to be found beneath all the nubile teens coming of age in this pseudo steam-punk setting in the midst of war between nations.

3) Le Chevalier D'Eon. Set in the 18th century, with a mixture of the supernatural, this is a story that starts off as a quest for revenge, and becomes something much more far-reaching, as the characters cover the length of Eurasia.

4) Full Metal Alchemist. Not Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It's far less 'shounenfied' then the recent Brotherhood version which stuck far closer to the manga. Which, from my perspective, was a good thing. I actually missed it for a couple years, as I had assumed it was some kiddy show, which was the same reason why I only recently caught The Last Avatar as well.

5) Armed Librarians: The Book of Bantorra. Dead people turn into books, regulated by librarians who tend to have supernatural powers. What I enjoyed about this show was how nothing seemed to make sense, episode after episode after episode, as you do these mini arcs around this fantasy/steampunk world, and then you get to the end, and all of a sudden all the seemingly random mini-arcs that kept making you go '????' make sense.

To keep this list short, I'll end with:

The Snow Queen. It's like Kino's Journey, but all in a fictional europe, as a girl travels to find her best friend, who was taken by the Snow Queen. Loosely based off the european Snow Queen mythology, at 36 episodes, the journey is fairly epic.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 23:13   Link #11
gsilver

It's an old show, but Future Boy Conan is my favorite adventure series of all time, and it has a great plot. There is also a recently completed Blu-Ray fansub release of it too.
Old 2012-08-08, 09:35   Link #12
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

slayers is on hulu.com. if you live in the us you can watch it.

even if you're not impressed with slayers do check out slayers next.
Old 2012-08-08, 12:09   Link #13
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

if you want fantasy and adventure, then Fairy Tail is what you are looking for
Old 2012-08-08, 12:20   Link #14
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I second Hunter X Hunter and Fairy Tail.
One Piece is also what you are looking for, despite the ridiculous artstyle.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 09:00   Link #15
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Seems like some good options to wade through here. Moribito has been on my to-watch list for several years now. I actually watched several episodes earlier this year, only to have a killer work week with lots of overtime and completely forgot to keep watching! (I know... how blasphemous of me ) Funny though because I honestly did not remember until I saw people suggesting it and I thought to myself, "why does that sound familiar?"
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epic plot