AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2015-09-06, 18:02   Link #1
gokufire

Villain AND change to be the main character rivals as an antihero

Hello all,

I'm new in the forum and I don't know exactly if I should post here, it seems the correct place, anyways sorry if I'm the wrong place.

I'm looking for animes/mangas suggestions that have a villain and in some point of the serie he turn too the good guys team's side but continuos rival to the main character as a antihero. Let me list some examples below:

1 - Yusuke vs Hiei (YYH)
2 - Goku vs Vegeta (DBZ)
3 - Seiya vs Ikki (Saint Seiya)
4 - Kenshin vs Saito (Rurouni Kenshin)
5 - Naruto vs Sasuke (Naruto Shippuden)
6 - Inuyasha vs Sesshomaru (Inuyasha)
7 - Tsubara vs Kojiro (Captain Tsubasa)
8 - Hikaru vs Touya (Hikaru no Go)
9 - Ippo vs Takeshi (Hajime no Ippo)

I don't have certain that the following below are, so it would be nice to validate it:
1 - Tsunayoshi vs Hibari (Reborn!)
2 - Natsu vs Gajeel (FT)
3 - Yoh vs Tao Hen (Shaman King)
4 - Recca vs Domon (Recca Flame)
5 - Touma vs Accelerator (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
6 - Kenichi vs Ryuto (Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi)
7 - Ragna vs Jin (BlazBlue)
8 - Sakuragi vs Rukawa (Slam Dunk)
9 - Decim vs Ginti (Death Parade)
10 - Meliodas vs Ban (Nanatsu no Taizai)
11 - Ryouko and Satsuki (Kill la Kill)
12 - Kaneki Ken vs Amon Kotaro (Tokyo Ghoul)
13 - Gai Tsutsugami vs Shu Ouma (Guilty Crown)
14 - Simon vs Viral (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
15 - Kira vs Shinn (Gudam Seed)
16 - Shizuo vs Izaya (Durarara!!)
17 - Kenshirou vs Raou (Hokuto no Ken)
18 - Claire Stanfield vs Ladd Russo (Baccano)
19 - Yato vs Rabou (Noragami)

It seems these are not, but a lot of people keep suggesting it to me, so would be good to certify that they are not rivals and buddy after some time:
1 - Lelouch vs Susaku (Code Geass)
2 - L vs Light (Death Note)
3 - Toriko vs Starjun (Toriko)
4 - Guts vs Griffin (Berserk)
5 - Gon vs Hisoka (HxH)
6 - Kiritsugu vs Kirei (Fate/Zero)
7 - Kirito vs Sinon(SAO)

I don't think they are because they don't fight/compete among each other, I guess.

Please, if you can suggest something with the description that I gave and validate the ones that I believe they are and not, it would be very appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by gokufire; 2015-09-09 at 10:26.
gokufire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-06, 18:50   Link #2
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokufire View Post
I'm looking for animes/mangas suggestions that have a villain and in some point of the serie he turn too the good guys team's side but continuos rival to the main character as a antihero.
Quote:
1 - Tsunayoshi vs Hibari (Reborn!)
Kind of? I mean, in the earlier part of the series Hibari is seen as antagonistic but I wouldn't call him an antihero. The series is worth looking at, though the ending leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:
2 - Natsu vs Gajeel (FT)
Nope. While they were enemies at one time, there absolutely on the same side now. And Gajeel is no anti-hero.

Quote:
Absolutely.

Quote:
6 - Kenichi vs Ryuto (Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi)
Maybe not. Ryuto isn't there most of the time. And when he is, he isn't really treated as an anti-hero that's compared to Kenichi.
Old 2015-09-06, 19:52   Link #3
gokufire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Kind of? I mean, in the earlier part of the series Hibari is seen as antagonistic but I wouldn't call him an antihero. The series is worth looking at, though the ending leaves a lot to be desired.

Nope. While they were enemies at one time, there absolutely on the same side now. And Gajeel is no anti-hero.

Absolutely.

Maybe not. Ryuto isn't there most of the time. And when he is, he isn't really treated as an anti-hero that's compared to Kenichi.
Thanks, so far only Touma vs Accelerator. Do you like this one, let me rephrase it, do you think it is same patamar from the first list?

Best
Old 2015-09-07, 01:52   Link #4
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
Touma vs Accelerator is the only one that I can vouch for that is close to what you are asking for.

Accel starts off as a villain and travels down his own path separate to Touma in the incidents that follow. They have little to no interaction with each other up until their second proper fight but are continually juxtaposed and compared to each other throughout the series.

As of the latest events in the novel series, they are on OK terms with each other and can even work together towards a common goal.
Old 2015-09-07, 09:06   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Maybe Kill la Kill?
Spoiler:

Hikaru no Go
Spoiler:
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-07, 11:37   Link #6
gokufire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Maybe Kill la Kill?
Spoiler:

Hikaru no Go
Spoiler:
Hey good call, never heard about these two and they seem better ranked/rated compared to the Toaru Majutsu no Index.

How do you see them compared too the first list, would you put them there in terms of quality?

Thank you very much.

P.S.: Just realized that your avatar is from Death Parade, what about Decim vs Ginti?

Last edited by gokufire; 2015-09-07 at 16:41.
Old 2015-09-07, 19:06   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokufire View Post
How do you see them compared too the first list, would you put them there in terms of quality?
I can't answer that as I haven't watched the shows in that list. I was going simply on the description of the character you seek. Both Kill la Kill and Hikaru no Go score pretty highly in my personal pantheon. They both have the traditional shounen plot where the main character focuses on getting "stronger" to take on more powerful foes, if that helps.
Quote:
Just realized that your avatar is from Death Parade, what about Decim vs Ginti?
I've got four more episodes to go, so I don't have an answer to that question either. I'm watching DP with a friend, and we only have a couple of hours together each week.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-08, 07:18   Link #8
gokufire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I can't answer that as I haven't watched the shows in that list. I was going simply on the description of the character you seek. Both Kill la Kill and Hikaru no Go score pretty highly in my personal pantheon. They both have the traditional shounen plot where the main character focuses on getting "stronger" to take on more powerful foes, if that helps.

I've got four more episodes to go, so I don't have an answer to that question either. I'm watching DP with a friend, and we only have a couple of hours together each week.
Ok, thank you for replying.

Best
Old 2015-09-09, 07:28   Link #9
gokufire

Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely.
Hey, do you know if there are rivals in to aru kagaku no railgun?
Old 2015-09-09, 07:58   Link #10
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
I guess if you stretch the definition a bit then yeah.

Actually its a bit more complicated than that. There are two seasons for Railgun: The first season is largely(annoyingly) slice of life but has some decent moments when the plot kicks in. The second season has the best animated fights out of all of the animated Index/Railgun series. However, the second season has a retelling of the arc with Touma vs Accelerator in it.

Its hard not to talk about Railgun without bringing up Index as they are part of the same franchise.

In short, not exactly what you asked for in the OP. In the Railgun manga (and something hinted in the first episode of Railgun Season 2 Anime), there is something of a rivalry between the MC and someone else. But Touma vs Accelerator is more of a match for what you're asking for.
Old 2015-09-09, 10:58   Link #11
gokufire

Smile

Quote:
^
I guess if you stretch the definition a bit then yeah.

Actually its a bit more complicated than that. There are two seasons for Railgun: The first season is largely(annoyingly) slice of life but has some decent moments when the plot kicks in. The second season has the best animated fights out of all of the animated Index/Railgun series. However, the second season has a retelling of the arc with Touma vs Accelerator in it.

Its hard not to talk about Railgun without bringing up Index as they are part of the same franchise.

In short, not exactly what you asked for in the OP. In the Railgun manga (and something hinted in the first episode of Railgun Season 2 Anime), there is something of a rivalry between the MC and someone else. But Touma vs Accelerator is more of a match for what you're asking for.
Thank you, I see that you are trying to help me. I really appreciate.

Tags
antihero, villain