AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2015-09-21, 21:21   Link #1
JokerD

Volkswagen emissions scandal

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...11R0TU20150921

Long story short, Volkswagen has admitted to rigging it's diesel cars to detect emissions tests and make it's cars run cleaner during that time. In real world, it would emit 40 times the level of pollutants allowed under clean air rules.

Cars affected are:
Jetta (MY 2009 – 2015)
Jetta Sportwagen (MY 2009-2014)
Beetle (MY 2013 – 2015)
Beetle Convertible (MY 2013-2015)
Audi A3 (MY 2010 – 2015)
Golf (MY 2010 – 2015)
Golf Sportwagen (MY 2015)
Passat (MY 2012-2015)

Violation notice from EPA: http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/cert/violations.htm

This is a real surprise, didn't expect something like this from Volkswagen. Violation fines will be per vehicle so the final fine should be astronomical...
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 05:42   Link #2
Dextro
He Without a Title

Here's a decently thorough run-down by Ars Technica

As a European, I'm personally hopping that this has some massive blow back in Diesel adoption on this side of the Atlantic as well. The growing adoption rate of Diesel these last couple of years has turned our streets into Noisy Dirty avenues and severely crippled the adoption rates of other less harmful technologies like Hybrid and even Electric cars. That and it sucked all the fun out of the consumer car market.
Old 2015-09-22, 12:49   Link #3
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I am thinking of buying their stock in October. Anyone thinking in the same line as me?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 14:49   Link #4
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I am thinking of buying their stock in October. Anyone thinking in the same line as me?
That was actually one the first thoughts that came to my mind. Just wait for it to get near the bottom and snag some cheap Deutsch stocks
Old 2015-09-22, 16:22   Link #5
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Yup, Toyota had to call back far more cars and they recovered in no time. Car makers are like teflon, nothing sticks. VW should bounce back fairly soon. Probably shortly after they sack the current chairmen.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 20:45   Link #6
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Reminds me of a joke my mentor once said : You trade crude all the way up, then go to the pump to refill your car, and rage at the price of petrol you have to pay.

Similarly, you trade the price of VW up, then when you go outside, and curse at the carbon heavy smog enveloping the surroundings.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-23, 10:15   Link #7
Dextro
He Without a Title

And... the CEO is out. Took less time than I expected really.
Old 2015-09-24, 00:06   Link #8
JokerD

I just wonder if anyone will get criminally charged in this case.

From what I read, the scandal is about the NOx output, standards are more lax in Europe compared to US, which gave raise to the incentive for the cheating in the test results
Old 2015-09-24, 05:39   Link #9
Dextro
He Without a Title

OOPS! Looks like VW might not be alone in this:

BMW Drops on Report That X3 Diesel's Emission Exceeded EU Limit
Old 2015-09-24, 06:36   Link #10
Domonkazu

diesel can never be "green" without sacrificing efficiency.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-24, 08:50   Link #11
abc0716

VW here are doing this promotion. Wonder is this the attempt they try to get rid older stocks which might violated the regulation (even the promotion held a while already)?

I'm seldom to follow automobile news, but what Volkswagen did does quite surprising...

Perhaps this scandal played a bit factor caused Wolfsburg's 5-1 lost against Bayern Munich on Bundesliga, just perhaps...
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-24, 09:33   Link #12
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc0716 View Post
VW here are doing this promotion. Wonder is this the attempt they try to get rid older stocks which might violated the regulation (even the promotion held a while already)?

I'm seldom to follow automobile news, but what Volkswagen did does quite surprising...

Perhaps this scandal played a bit factor caused Wolfsburg's 5-1 lost against Bayern Munich on Bundesliga, just perhaps...
Aren't those cars petrol? This scandal is for the diesel TDI cars
Old 2015-09-24, 09:43   Link #13
abc0716

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Aren't those cars petrol? This scandal is for the diesel TDI cars
Really? Sorry my bad. Didn't saw the full detail of the page...
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-24, 19:16   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I haven't read all the details today, but has anyone seen a good explanation for why VW felt the need to expand the number of diesel cars it sold in the US? Or in Europe for that matter? What was wrong with gasoline-powered vehicles like my Passat?

I've seen plenty of comments that the desire to expand the number diesel cars in the US was the primary motivation for the fraud, but little about why they were so interested in expanding diesel sales. Are the diesel cars more profitable than the equivalent gasoline-fueled vehicles?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-25, 04:37   Link #15
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I haven't read all the details today, but has anyone seen a good explanation for why VW felt the need to expand the number of diesel cars it sold in the US? Or in Europe for that matter? What was wrong with gasoline-powered vehicles like my Passat?

I've seen plenty of comments that the desire to expand the number diesel cars in the US was the primary motivation for the fraud, but little about why they were so interested in expanding diesel sales. Are the diesel cars more profitable than the equivalent gasoline-fueled vehicles?
It's an ideological thing. Plenty of people really truly believe that Diesel is a better engine technology than Petrol and the Volkswagen Group, along with its German brethrens at BMW and Mercedes, has long been one of the big pushers for Diesel cars. Audi in particular does a lot of research on Diesel engines even fielding Diesel cars in Le Mans.

If you want to go all conspiracy theory on this you could say that the increased maintenance needed on a Diesel engine compared to a Gas engine and the higher initial cost of the vehicles would mean increased revenue for the company but that would be wrong in too many ways. Don't attribute to malice what could adequately be explained by stupidity. Not that I'm saying Diesel engines are stupid, just that there was no malice involved in trying to sell them as a better option.

And by the way, just to be fair, I'm a strong opponent of Diesel engines. I find them to be more expensive to purchase and maintain that equally performing gasoline engines due to the increased complexity needed to maintain higher temperatures and pressures, they are more polluting than Gasoline engines and (this is more a matter of opinion) I find they sound like crap
Old 2015-09-25, 07:05   Link #16
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Diesel engines have greater fuel economy, exert more torque and have a longer lifespan than comparable gasoline engines.

If a company like VW can convince the public that the drawbacks can be overcome (maintenance, production cost and pollution) they will have a competitive edge over rival companies without these engines.

When the fuel prices eventually go up again, diesels are in a good position to take a sizable chunk of the entire car market market as other fuel efficient technologies like hybrids and electric cars are still in their infancy.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-25, 09:56   Link #17
JokerD

Also, there's a cash for clunkers scheme during that time. If VW could convince the gov to include their cars in that scheme, it would get subsidized and make it cheaper