AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-16, 21:29   Link #1
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
The wall? <Spoilers>

Hm, is that something to do with Germany's history? I don't know anything about their history other then WW2. Hm, or will it be explained in the later episodes?
Old 2004-07-16, 21:48   Link #2
stpehen
kisses for all

The Berlin Wall was a wall that went through the city of Berlin, with half belonging to democratic West Germany and half belonging to communist East Germany. The entire German nation was split into two very separate countries for over 40 years from post-WWII to the collapse of the Soviet Union. As it separated the two parts of Germany right through the middle of the nation's capitol, the Berlin Wall is the most recognizable symbol of that division between West and East. Therefore it makes sense that referring to the "fall of the Wall" is symbolic of the collapse of communism and the reunification of Germany.
Old 2004-07-19, 01:43   Link #3
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
So is it an Acctual wall or just a Intangible Barrier?
Old 2004-07-19, 01:50   Link #4
Hikata
Translator For AYU =)

It was an Actual Wall though it got collapse by human hand during/after the wwII.
Old 2004-07-19, 02:18   Link #5
Marduk
Shitennô no Hitori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikata
It was an Actual Wall though it got collapse by human hand during/after the wwII.

^^;

The Wall was built in 1961. It was only 28/29 years later that it fell.
Old 2004-07-19, 03:00   Link #6
Hikata
Translator For AYU =)

Well then, make me correct myself.
"After".
There XD sorry im really bad at history :/ not my favorite at all ==;
Old 2004-07-19, 09:53   Link #7
Ri_
mangaworm

The Berlin Wall was an actual wall, however the "iron curtain" that cut Germany in half consisted rather of barb wire and the like.
Old 2004-07-21, 06:30   Link #8
lordlucless

If you want to read a bit about Germany during those times, grab the book Stasiland. It's a fascinating read. The author went over to Germany, and put ads in the paper for members of the Stasi (a network of informers in East Germany) and interviewed them. East Germany was the most spied-upon country in recorded history. One in every fifty people was a Stasi informer, and they recorded everything. The overthrow of the East German government was also notable for its swiftness and bloodlessness - in pretty much a single night, it was all over. They have people going through Stasi records, reconstructing the things the Stasi tried to destroy, and it will take generations for them to finish. There's records of absolutely everything.
Old 2004-07-31, 16:04   Link #9
Soul Bro Ryu
Your Neighborhood Newtype

Send a message via ICQ to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via AIM to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via MSN to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via Yahoo to Soul Bro Ryu
Also a few episodes of "Master Keaton" touch upon the subject as well. If you have a friend or rental place near you with some volumes, check them out. Keaton & Tenma come from completely different backgrounds, but their dispositions almost make them seem like brothers. Then again, maybe it's just me ^_^

* Ep. 9 (Vol. 2) - Travelling with a Lady
* Ep. 14 (Vol. 3) - Wall in One's Heart
* Ep. 31 (Vol. 7) - Scent is the Key

Plus, there's an episode in Dusseldorf:

* Ep. 2 (Vol. 1) - The Little Giant

- and look out for a familiar building from "Monster" at the end of that episode. Not that it is the same exact building from that series, but I'll be damned if it dosen't look identical.
Closed Thread