Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-11-05, 15:03   Link #1
音楽は死んだ
Boobies² = Fun

Send a message via Yahoo to 音楽は死んだ
Firefox Crashing under 4chan

I recent switched browseres after an especilay nasty spyware came my way. Got it updated and all my settings and bookmarks brought over, but theres a prob, every time I try and load 4chan Firefox crashes. Its weird because I cant find another site that makes it crash and IE loads 4chan fine.

Anyone know any reason for this?
音楽は死んだ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 16:09   Link #2
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 音楽は死んだ
I recent switched browseres after an especilay nasty spyware came my way. Got it updated and all my settings and bookmarks brought over, but theres a prob, every time I try and load 4chan Firefox crashes. Its weird because I cant find another site that makes it crash and IE loads 4chan fine.

Anyone know any reason for this?
While I object to using 4chan in principal, I'll assist you none the less?
Why? Well, I can't just let some poor internet fellow go by using a second rate browser.

http://www.opera.com

Here you go. You have to pay to get rid of the ad on the right corner (or you can goggle for a certain string of characters with will remove it), but Opera is leaps and bounds ahead of firefox in every way. Enjoy.
AndrewLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 16:32   Link #3
Shadowlord
~DESU

No, dont listen to Andrew (sorry, but in fact safari and opera are some of the worse alternatives for IE) Yesterday there was an article on CNET about firefox vs opera vs IE. It talked about how firefox needed to adopt some of the standards IE uses. Long story short, a comparison of the browsers were made

http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/contents.html (site done by writer for cnet)

and opera was considerred based on the STANDARDS used in the web today, to be a failure vs the relative success of Firefox) I cant seem to find the article on CNET anymore, but I know it is there.

Anyway, back on topic, it could be a problem with the bookmark if you imported it. It could link the the wrong located and therefore cause firefox to crash (not sure why it would though) Anyway, probably the best thing to do is to type 4chan.org in directly, then make a new bookmark. If it isnt the actual bookmark that is crashing firefox, then there could be a problem with the install. I would suggest a simple reinstall to see if it corrects the problem.

Sorry for the part on how I think Opera sucks, but when I see a post that is stated as fact, then I just have to respond if it conflicts with my view and if it is indeed not fact.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 17:00   Link #4
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

I saw the same article. It was x-posted on zdnet. A lot fo Firefox users (advocates) says that the site developers are the ones in the wrong for using "old standards" and IE enhanced sites. IMHO, a bunch of BS.

My take on the browser wars, try them all and choose the one that works for you. It's you that is using it the most so why not decide for yourself.

Anyway,

to answer the original question, Firefox does cause 4CHAN to crash. It's been a problem for a long time and the developers have yet to address the issue. If you are downloading from 4Chan, disable the download manager. Do not open multiple tabs in Firefox to 4CHAN.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 17:51   Link #5
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
It does?
I just went there, downloaded some wallpapers, opened some tabs and everything went smooth. Don't remember Firefox to crash on any page and definitely not on 4chan.

@音楽は死んだ
Do you have the most recent version of Firefox (RC1 is newer than PR1)?
Also try to delete your user directory (located in C:\Documents and Settings\#Username#\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\#randomstring#.defau lt\). Be sure to backup your bookmarks (bookmark.html in that folder). You can simply replace the new one with your old backup. Alternateively you can create a new profile (either find the Profile Manager shortcut in your startmenu or choose "Run" in the startmenu, clear contents of the popup, drag the firefox application into the text field [so that the path gets pasted] and add " -p" at the end. This will open the Profile Manager).
Also try to disable all extensions you have installed and use the default theme.
Old 2004-11-05, 20:02   Link #6
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer
It does?
I just went there, downloaded some wallpapers, opened some tabs and everything went smooth. Don't remember Firefox to crash on any page and definitely not on 4chan.

@音楽は死んだ
Do you have the most recent version of Firefox (RC1 is newer than PR1)?
Also try to delete your user directory (located in C:\Documents and Settings\#Username#\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\#randomstring#.defau lt\). Be sure to backup your bookmarks (bookmark.html in that folder). You can simply replace the new one with your old backup. Alternateively you can create a new profile (either find the Profile Manager shortcut in your startmenu or choose "Run" in the startmenu, clear contents of the popup, drag the firefox application into the text field [so that the path gets pasted] and add " -p" at the end. This will open the Profile Manager).
Also try to disable all extensions you have installed and use the default theme.
Anime_Layer: were you using the dl mgr and queue a few items? Just curious since that's the module a lot of us have problems with. The DL mgr would force exit firefox.
Old 2004-11-05, 20:34   Link #7
音楽は死んだ
Boobies² = Fun

heh, I read that article too, thats why I chose Firefox. Read alot more that made me not even think of installing it, apperently they make you pay for it but its far from copareable from the free browsers out there.

Ahhh, I am using the default theme on the newest version, and tried accessing the site though a bookmark and through google. Never had any extentions installed either, so nothing other than the default settings and my bookmarks are in firefox at this point.

but if it has been a prob for a long time how come I couldent find any info on it at all? 0_o
Old 2004-11-05, 21:54   Link #8
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
heh, I read that article too, thats why I chose Firefox. Read alot more that made me not even think of installing it, apperently they make you pay for it but its far from copareable from the free browsers out there.

Ahhh, I am using the default theme on the newest version, and tried accessing the site though a bookmark and through google. Never had any extentions installed either, so nothing other than the default settings and my bookmarks are in firefox at this point.

but if it has been a prob for a long time how come I couldent find any info on it at all? 0_o
Problem is discussed on the 4chan boards. Search for Firefox and bookmarks, downloads and/or crash problems.
Old 2004-11-05, 23:11   Link #9
音楽は死んだ
Boobies² = Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
Problem is discussed on the 4chan boards. Search for Firefox and bookmarks, downloads and/or crash problems.
hummm, nothing on the 4chan boards that I can see, and havent seen a way to search on any of em yet either.
Old 2004-11-06, 05:32   Link #10
Ending

A load of talk about Firefox/4chan problems, but I have had never any problems with me Fieryfoxe'h.

Maybe the problem is somewhere else, like in the remnants of that spyware...?
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 08:45   Link #11
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Anime_Layer: were you using the dl mgr and queue a few items? Just curious since that's the module a lot of us have problems with. The DL mgr would force exit firefox.
How do you queue something in Firefox?
I open the pics, rightclick and select "Save Image As...". This sends it to the download manager and downloads it. Works fine.

@音楽は死んだ
Did you try creating a new profile? Since some here are reporting problems and some seem to have none, this could have to do with some weird profile.
Old 2004-11-06, 10:15   Link #12
Yuiichi
Retired.

Yeah, i use Firefox as well, and sometimes browse 4chan. I've never actually experienced problems with it, and i've used it with 2 different versions of the fox.

But, just yesterday, did i experience a firefox crash. I was trying to load a movie on Albinoblacksheep (the link is available in Muir Woods sig), and it crashed on me. I try again, and same thing. That was in the stable 1.0 version of Firefox. In 0.9.2, that movie works great.

Probably some qwerk in your version... not too sure. I guess the best solution for this problem would be to get IE View Firefox extension: it allows you to right click and then view the page in IE... at least untill you have the problem resolved.
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 13:18   Link #13
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Went directly to Albino and it did crash FF - latest build. Works fine with IE and IE extension. hmm. Going to post this issue with FF team and see how they respond.
Old 2004-11-06, 14:39   Link #14
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

This reminds me of following article:
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive...5/2004-10-21/0
Bottom line: Mozilla/Firefox and Opera html parser have many flaws that could be exploited. The IE parser crashed on the fewest malformed html pages.

EDIT: You mean the guitar movie on albinoblacksheep? Works fine for me. It uses the WMP plugin so chances are that this is crashing Firefox.
Though today Firefox started to act quirky when I went to http://www.yesasia.com/. Suddenly my mouse controls where gone (left click and scroll wheel didn't work, right-click was strange. Worked fine in other applications and when I tried to quit Firefox I had to manually kill the thread).
Old 2004-11-06, 14:52   Link #15
音楽は死んだ
Boobies² = Fun

Nah, my computer is clean now, any spywae stuff is long gone. I'll probly just say to hell with it and keep using IE for awhile, I've been careful enough before.

Quote:
Went directly to Albino and it did crash FF - latest build. Works fine with IE and IE extension. hmm. Going to post this issue with FF team and see how they respond.
Their answer: dont go to that site

I'm suprised in a thread where I brought up two highly hated topics, 4chan and other browsers, that there hasnt been more fighting lol
Old 2004-11-06, 17:35   Link #16
???
Unknown

What spyware ? Is it Iwantsearch.com ? cause i hate that one
??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 21:37   Link #17
Shadowlord
~DESU

I tried everything that everyone has said. No problems whatsoever here with Firefox 1.0PR. Obviously it isnt a problem with firefox then, could be a faulty plugin, or something else with your computer. PR works fine for me.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 22:36   Link #18
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord
I tried everything that everyone has said. No problems whatsoever here with Firefox 1.0PR. Obviously it isnt a problem with firefox then, could be a faulty plugin, or something else with your computer. PR works fine for me.
Seconded, I tried everything in this thread, and no crash for me.
I also use FireFox 1.0PR
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 20:40   Link #19
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Nah, my computer is clean now, any spywae stuff is long gone. I'll probly just say to hell with it and keep using IE for awhile, I've been careful enough before.

Their answer: dont go to that site

I'm suprised in a thread where I brought up two highly hated topics, 4chan and other browsers, that there hasnt been more fighting lol
4Chan is actually pretty good IMHO. I use it and if you don't use it, that's up to you.

Anyway, I went with the official 1.0PR, removed all plugins and problem disappeared. I usually use the nightly builds so it could be a build issue. BTW, I'm running under Mandrake so it could also be that.
Old 2004-11-08, 01:38   Link #20
Nevion
/dev/random

only time I get firefox to crash is when I'm messing around with a site that uses flash or a java applet. Thats not to say it crashes real often just that when it does crash (once every 2 weeks or so) its because of flash or java applet. I'm using cvs released around 1.0PR.
Nevion is offline   Reply With Quote