Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-21, 04:07   Link #1
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Dilemma of a Chinese boy: Torn between conflicting views of Japan

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to blab and moan about my predicament. I certainly do spend a lot of time on this forum, and people here probably know enough about Japan and China to understand what I'm talking about...

Well, here goes! Introductions come first.

Me: I'm a Chinese boy, 17 years old, living in Hong Kong.

Background: My paternal family is Japanophobic (hates Japan); my maternal family is Japanophilic (loves Japan). The former was in Nanjing (Nanking) during WWII; the latter was in Taiwan - this probably explains things a bit.

Now, here comes the problem...

I'm pretty much torn between whether to love Japan or hate Japan. There is hardly a middle ground...
  • It's impossible for me not to love Japanese culture (traditional AND modern),
  • It's impossible for me not to love my wonderful Japanese friends,
  • It's impossible not to hate Japan for what they did to my ancestors,
  • It's impossible not to become hot-headed whenever Koizumi visits Yasukuni,
  • It's impossible to assume a neutral stance on anything when one side of my family is whole-heartedly hating Japan and another side is whole-heartedly praising Japan.

So, what do I do to solve this dilemma?
I'm constantly drawing and re-drawing lines.

Lines between what to love about the Japanese and what to hate about them. Yes, as I said, there's no middle ground... it's all extremes: love and hate.

Lines between...
  • The Japanese language, folk traditions, people, geography, architecture, art, cuisine, music, anime... which I love,
  • The Japanese government, rigid social hierarchy, conservative media, the LDP (political party), Yasukuni... which I hate.

But these lines aren't clear either!! Here are some examples...

I have a great interest in Shinto, Japan's folk religion. It absolutely fascinates me. But this same religion was tweaked and harnessed between 1920 and 1945 to support militarism and expansionist policies...

Fuji TV is an extra-conservative media company; it's associated with right-wing newspapers that supports Japanese nationalism and xenophobia. However, Fuji TV also produces spectacular anime which I love...

Et cetera.

Besides, my two families really do have to give me a hard time about all things Japanese.

I'm constantly trying to sort out conflicting inputs about Japan.

For instance, my maternal family is passionate in encouraging me in my Japanese studies and Japan-related hobbies. Aunts on my mother's side buy me tonnes of Japanese books, textbooks, cultural products, ornaments, scrolls, music, anime, etc. etc.

That gets me into a temporary Japan craze. Well, more than temporary. Come to think of it, most of my hobbies are Japanese-related.

As I'm studying Japanese, practising hiragana calligraphy, and watching anime... my father comes home and starts bad-mouthing and cursing the Japanese. I don't argue; in fact, I cannot help but agree with him as soon as I open my history textbook, as soon as I read in the newspaper about Koizumi's latest visit to Yasukuni.

And then, when I go out to dinner with my paternal family, aunts and uncles on my father's side start to notice how almost everything I use is covered in hiragana, Japanese traditional art, or Japanese cartoon figures (well, at least one of the three). They go "blah, blah, blah... why are you supporting Japan, blah blah blah." Well, my maternal family did buy all this stuff for me, after all...

Finally, I go back home, open my Japanese textbook again, gloss over scrolls of hiragana, and look at pictures of Kyoto shrines and sakura blossoms and winters in Hokkaido... and I think... how is it possible for anyone to hate such a beautiful culture?

And then, I instant-message my Japanese friends... and I think... how is it possible for anyone to hate such nice people?

And I realise: it's impossible to make generalisations.

Just as I have reached this enlightened phase, the news comes on. It's Koizumi!

Mum says: "He's a nice guy. Why do people have to give him such a hard time about the shrine visits?"

And Dad says: "You don't know about what we've been through! They pillaged our homes and tortured my grandfather. And now, Koizumi's honouring those accursed war criminals?? What sort of dog would do that??"

Oh my, they're at it again!! And uh oh, I've fallen back to hating Koizumi and trying to decide what I love about Japan and what I hate about Japan, back to drawing lines, back to being confused...

The cycle repeats.
Old 2006-07-21, 04:27   Link #2
Shini_GamI
YuI

Send a message via MSN to Shini_GamI
i reckon, the past should be forgotten, now is now. Right now, im wondering, how does your parent get along with each other? do they have arguements regularly? in my opinion, I think the past should be eliminated and shouldnt be passed to the next generation, at the end, its your choice whether or not you love one thing or not, no one can force you to believe one thing when you dont want to.
Old 2006-07-21, 04:30   Link #3
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Mm, my parents get along for the most part. They mostly direct their Japan-related comments at me, not at each other! Heheh.

Well, it would be great to forget the past... but that's not possible as long as Koizumi continues to visit Yasukuni, as long as Japan still has a xenophobic policy towards immigrants. At heart, Japan's still quite a xenophobic and closed society. My Japanese friends left Japan in early childhood... so they might be different?

And you know...
It's a hard feeling to realise that as much as you love Japanese culture, you can never be part of it. Why? Because Japan doesn't welcome immigrants, and even immigrants who succeed will never be considered Japanese by the Japanese.
Old 2006-07-21, 09:00   Link #4
DaFool
Resident devil

You can separate politics and culture. Just hate the one and love the other. Hell, Arabs have been loving Hollywood movies, American cars for years. Yet America is still the Great Satan.

Just keep it simple. Adopt what you like, chuck the rest. Keep things objective, knowing that there's always two sides to everything.

Luckily for me my mother is neutral, my father is a Japanophile. That's because my paternal grandfather smuggled Yokohama tires during World War II. Call him a traitor...what? Side with the Americans? They were both expansionist colonizers, it didn't make a difference to him. War is war. You do what you can to survive. In fact after the war he remained good friends with the generals, as he has been saved by them from an execution.

It has also been noted that many of the most brutal mercenaries were in fact Korean. Does that make a difference? No. My best friend in college was Korean. People are people. Take each individually. Same with each aspect of culture.
Old 2006-07-21, 09:29   Link #5
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I have no conflict. For years I do have the same dilemma, but I have reconciled them. I realize I don't have to condone these bastard war criminals (and the bastard nationalistic politicians now) who did these horrible things to my countrymen while still appreciating Japanese culture (obviously mostly anime) at the same time.

Lately, whenever my folks try to persuade me away from the "Japanese stuff which I like", of which I probably know just as much, as I'm pretty much a history buff myself, I simply tell them, "I see you listen to Beethoven and Wagner all the time, does that make you a Nazi?"
Old 2006-07-21, 09:31   Link #6
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
just go on with wht you believe in is my opinion...screw wht others think if you like japan go ahead i love jap culture but also hate the ass licking government but still im not gona be bothered by it anyway...like wht DaFool sed just keep wht you like and ditch the rest...too much worring about such trivial matters is bad for you health

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-07-21, 10:57   Link #7
Sides

Well both of my grandfathers fought in a resistance group in HK during WWII.
None of them have anything against japan or japanese people,
however they do hate seeing stuff that that glorifies japan during that time.
Futhermore they actually hate chinese people that supported or ignored
the japanese invasion more than those so-called war criminals.

I have to agree with previous people here, you like the culture, products aso.
there is nothing bad about it.
Your dad should actually be proud of you, since you do have an interesst in
something, unlike most of the youngsters nowadays, who just get drunk get laid and get aid.

Just go ahead and live your life, get a job and move out ^^
Who knows maybe one day you'll become a chinese japanese diplomat.
Old 2006-07-21, 14:16   Link #8
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

The real world isn't black and white - it's in a multitude of gray shades.

And Yasukuni isn't just a place to honor "war criminals." It's a place to honor those who have died in service - past, present, and future. I would be damn angry if Koizumi gives in to outside pressure. Servicemen deserves respect for their services in protecting my nation during WWII, just as British, German, Italian, and American servicemen have in their own country whether they were victors or not. Sure shit happens during war - that doesn't mean servicemen that died with malaria, dying in a faraway land never to step foot back home to see their children should be treated like shit as well.
Old 2006-07-21, 14:33   Link #9
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
The real world isn't black and white - it's in a multitude of gray shades.

And Yasukuni isn't just a place to honor "war criminals." It's a place to honor those who have died in service - past, present, and future. I would be damn angry if Koizumi gives in to outside pressure. Servicemen deserves respect for their services in protecting my nation during WWII, just as British, German, Italian, and American servicemen have in their own country whether they were victors or not. Sure shit happens during war - that doesn't mean servicemen that died with malaria, dying in a faraway land never to step foot back home to see their children should be treated like shit as well.
I agree, anyone who dies in service of their country should be honored. You can argue about the war forever, but the fact is these people were soldiers and soldiers are the same on both sides of the battlefield. They follow the orders they are given.

It's no use disliking people for what their ancestors did in the past. They have no control over what happened in the past. It is the same as racism, in my opinion. My ancestors went through a lot of hardship, but I don't hate anyone for it because no one is responsible anymore. Simple as that.
Old 2006-07-21, 15:02   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

I agree with most of the opinion here.

However i suggest Shini_Gami do some research on what happen in Nanking before he ask to forget about. Asking chinese to forget about Nanking is like asking a Bonsinian to forget about Srebrenica. What happen in Nanking was much much worst.
Old 2006-07-21, 16:15   Link #11
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou
  • It's impossible not to hate Japan for what they did to my ancestors,
  • It's impossible to assume a neutral stance on anything when one side of my family is whole-heartedly hating Japan and another side is whole-heartedly praising Japan.
My grandad lost a brother to the Germans, and couldn't stand them 'till the day he died
Though I sympathize with my granddad and understand his feelings, No german
ever did me wrong, I wasn't there in the occupation, most of the german
warcriminals are dead

what should all that mean to me?

Nothing
unless I keep hanging on to a past I never had, and narrowmindedly take every stereotype as 'true'

also be critical to any propaganda, be it positive or negative
make your own decisions based on your experience with the subject
and NEVER judge a nation's people by it's government
Old 2006-07-21, 16:56   Link #12
mit7059

I don't see how anyone can hate an entire group of people, ever. You can't stereotype based upon anything. period. It's true the Japanese did commit terrible war crimes during World War II, but that is the past. Should the Chinese and Russians also hate all mongolians because at Ghengis Chan? Thats an extreme example but it's still valid. There is a big difference between hating the Japanese government and hating the Japanese people. The Japanese Government and Japanese Buisness sector is corrupt and immoral yes, but the Japanese culture is so full of promise. And it is a fact that the Japanese people feel a huge amount of guilt about the things they did in World War II to the Koreans and the Chinese. Now I'm an American, and we're not the most popular right now, and to be sure, I hate almost every part of our government. Bush should be shot, but I don't hate Americans in general, I wait until I get to know someone before I start to hate them. But I'm also part Japanese, my grandmother was placed in an Internment camp. Does this give me justification to hate anyone? No. I was done no wrong, nothing happened to me, and in reality if that didn't happen I probably wouldn't exist. You can't hate people because of history, because if things didn't go the way they did everything would be different. Seriously though, Yukinokesshou, if the Japanese didn't do what they did, you might not exist. I am not defending what they did, but the past is the past, and the entire world needs to look forward, because all this looking in to the past causes shit like whats happening in the middle east. Would you look at that, i've gone and rambled on for too long. We should always remember the words of the ever so wise Dan Quayle, "We don't want to go back to tomorrow, we want to go forward.":P

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-07-21, 17:08   Link #13
arias

I think some of the posts here are a little naive.

As for the original poster; I'd understand some of your pains.. I have friends who converted to Christianity which greatly upsetted their parents/grandparents. But I don't see why you can't be clever and tactful about this. There is a difference between holding an attitude and expressing an attitude. You could be engaged in whatever activity you want but just be careful in not expressing it to your paternal side of the family...

I don't know if you're brought up in Asia, but this sort of concealment is fine for us unlike that for North Americans (who feel that they have to be "true to themselves", which is really a confused concept). I'm sure you can handle this. But you could be more mature about it. I dislike artsy fartsy talk like "How can anyone hate such a beautiful culture?" Well, if you have any knowledge about the rape of Nanjing you would easily see how some Chinese could bear so much hatred towards them. Even from where I grew up (Singapore), we frequently hear factual, horror stories of Japanese torture and their brutality (which included the impaling of male babies with bayonets). My own grandfather narrowly escaped death from the Japanese.

Rape of Nanjing
http://www.centurychina.com/wiihist/njmassac/rape.htm
http://www.historywiz.com/nanjing.htm
http://www.tribo.org/nanking/

Torture
http://hnn.us/articles/14566.html

Quote:
Thousands of Chinese men and boys were used for bayonet practice. Men and women were hung by their tongues. Pregnant women were disemboweled and their fetuses torn from the bleeding bodies. Men, women, and children were buried alive. Japanese soldiers impaled babies on bayonets, and then tossed them alive into pots of boiling water.
These are all solid, real facts of World War II. Sure, generalization is bad and times have changed.. in fact, just witness how America nuked Japan and yet still have this supreme streak of American-worship by their youth. But just realize that Japan DID do something very horrific in WWII; not by only being invasive but incredibly cruel and brutal. Politically, they have not bowed and apologised to the Chinese or kept up a consistent political stand on the apology as well. And they even want to rewrite their historical textbooks to better reframe their actions in WWII. With all these, it is more than understandable that 50 years of Chinese hatred is still simmering, and boiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbat®
My grandad lost a brother to the Germans, and couldn't stand them 'till the day he died
Though I sympathize with my granddad and understand his feelings, No german
ever did me wrong,
I wasn't there in the occupation, most of the german
warcriminals are dead
Now this is foolish. If Germans suddenly invaded Holland and raped and killed your entire family and didn't do a single thing to you, I don't see how you wouldn't feel any hatred towards them or at least some portion of them. They still didn't do anything to YOU. What you're really saying is that because they killed your grandfather's brother, you couldn't associate with that sort of loss because you never knew your grandfather's brother (but of course, he died).

Hatred and generalization of that hate are defensive mechanisms that are adaptive. It's understandable -- not necessarily right, that people still hate groups of people because of the actions of a select few. We're constantly operating in shades of grey, but this doesn't mean that nothing in the past matters.
Old 2006-07-21, 17:50   Link #14
zeeke
I will eat your cookies!!

Send a message via ICQ to zeeke Send a message via MSN to zeeke
well i personally think, that people are diffrent, times are diffrent, so staying in a "hatemotion" for your whole life beacuse what happened to your ancestors years ago, is pretty stupid, what i mean is... even hundreds of years ago wuropeans sieged catsles raped woman worked males and kids to death, somehow dont see anyone hating them, why? because everyone did it? or time fixed the wounds? anyway. just i think, that the pas is the past, now is now. hating some culture because your parrents or friends hate it, is just childish, and dumb.
Old 2006-07-21, 18:31   Link #15
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

^ i agree with zeeke the past is past...its not like you are gona hate japs that are like 5yrs old...they are innocent and did nothing wrong...if you gona hate just hate those that committed the wrongs out of the majority...you cnt just go hating an entire race which include innocent ppl...and probably the ones that have done wrong are burnning in hell atm

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2006-07-21, 19:06   Link #16
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

I wasn't a fan of the cultural revolution, but that doesn't mean I hate Chinese people.

".. the old Japanese regime was responsible for countless deaths and masacres, so I should be resentful for all Japanese people in the present..," is a rather narrow view. Understandably, people who experienced first-hand the tragedies that occured during the second world war might hold certain prejudices, and in no way should we forget the past, but that doesn't mean we let the frustrations from our previous generations blind us in the present.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
Old 2006-07-21, 19:09   Link #17
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
^ i agree with zeeke the past is past...its not like you are gona hate japs that are like 5yrs old...they are innocent and did nothing wrong...if you gona hate just hate those that committed the wrongs out of the majority...you cnt just go hating an entire race which include innocent ppl...and probably the ones that have done wrong are burnning in hell atm
Deathkillz, no offense but as a englishmen(apology if i am wrong) but the UK doesn't have much of a leg to stand on in this issue. Just look at all the spoils of war in the british musenum. The british is still defending the looting as presevering the loot for the younger generation and they refuse to return any of the items they stole...i mean save form the natives.
Old 2006-07-21, 19:45   Link #18
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

^ haha you are wrong there calling me an englishman cause im chinese i also understand wht you mean and i also believe that england was once full of pirates that used to pilage and plunder other countries (such as china >.< dam them) and that the government is so fcked up that if outer races (such as chinese ppl) the ppl here would just starve...seen as many are too lazy to cook their own food nevermind getting a job even tho i live in this place doesnt make me hate or like it...i guess its kinda neutral...somethime i want to kill all the yobs/chavs in the streets (still do) but at times english ppl dnt seem so bad (even tho its a small percentage )

Old 2006-07-21, 20:45   Link #19
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Thanks a lot to everyone for your input ^_^

To Arias: Well, my apologies about the "artsy fartsy" talk if it made you uncomfortable, but of course I understand how people could hate Japan; I made it very clear in my original post:

"In fact, I cannot help but agree with [my Japanophobic father] as soon as I open my history textbook..."

The so-called "artsy-fartsy" talk was only my silly attempt at... rhetorical effect to draw a contrast. Heh. I have as much knowledge about the historical background as any other Chinese who has studied history. Besides, as I have mentioned, my paternal family was in Nanjing during WWII, so I've heard plenty of terrifying accounts too.

Therefore, I'd appreciate if you could read my original post more carefully before you accuse me of being "immature", thanks ^_^.

Otherwise I completely agree with you about it being hard to put history to one side.

To everyone: Sorry for seeming to make such a "big deal" of this... but I wrote the original post to provoke thought as much as any other reason

I agree with the common sentiment here... Dislike for Japan's government and history should not spill over to thoughts on its people and culture.

Well, as I said to Arias, it's completely understandable why my relatives would hate Japan, but don't you think it's a bit extreme and unreasonble (and funnily illogical) when they say things like:
"I hate Japanese food. No, I've never tried it before, and I'm never going to try it."
Old 2006-07-21, 21:03   Link #20
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

And, food for thought:

Perhaps the Japanese ought to be more accepting of other peoples too. Its xenophobia is pretty infamous in these parts. Ever heard of the "Manga Kenkanryu" (a.k.a. "Hating the Korean Wave")? It's a Japanese manga that's blatantly anti-Korean: see this Wikipedia article.

Such a book would be denied publication in the US or UK, and even if it were published, the author might be arrested on a charge of incendiarism for racial conflict. After all, calling someone a "Paki" in the UK is enough grounds for an arrest. And yet, in Japan, this manga is actually circulated and popular??

Some Korean families have been in Japan for generations and they're still considered "outsiders" by their neighbours!

If Chinese and Koreans should be more accepting of Japanese, then the Japanese ought to do the same for us.
Closed Thread