AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-22, 19:05   Link #1
Paper Lilies

Send a message via AIM to Paper Lilies
Looking for Comedic Slice-of-life animes.

If possible, I'd like for it to be thirteen or less episodes, but I don't mind watching a twenty-six episode series. I'm looking for something that can make me laugh, but not have a totally out-there plot, Please, no giant robots and no space stories!

A Good Example of this would be Azumanga Daioh.

Other animes I have enjoyed/am currently enjoying were/are:
Aishiteruze Baby
Futakoi Alt.
Dogtato
Aria the Animation
Aria the Natural
Kanon
AIR
Card Captor Sakura
Ichigo Mashimaro
Kage Kara Mamoru
Ouran Highschool Host Club
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Ginban Kaleidoscope
Shinigami's Ballad
Bottle Fairy
Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar
xXxHolic
True Love Story
Read or Die TV and OVA
Fruits Basket
Ayashi No Ceres
Paranoia Agent
Pia Carrot DX and Movie
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Kokoro Library
School Rumble
Haibane Renmei
Serial Experiments Lain
Binbou Shimai Monogatari
Love Get Chu!
Muteki Kanban Musume
Pani Poni Dash!
Welcome to the NHK!
Dokuro-chan

I disliked:
W-wish
Final Approach
Peach Girl

I like a lot of different genres, as you can see. I'd like for it to be low on the fanservice if possible, but no biggie if it's there. I can stomache quite a bit.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2006-07-22, 19:07   Link #2
LCeh

Honey & Clover. You will be hearing that series a lot in this thread, considering you haven't watched it yet.
Old 2006-07-22, 20:47   Link #3
HydraDragoon
???!!!???!!!?!?!

Genshiken would be a good choice. It's based around Otaku life, I'm not an otaku myself, but I found it really enjoyable.
Old 2006-07-23, 06:47   Link #4
a-chan
*ZZZzzzzzz*

Like LCeh, I highly recommand "Honey and Clover" : the funniest and also touching anime/manga ever made!! The characters are like us, but a little bit funnier and crazy (I speak for Morita-san XD)

You can try "Kyou Kara Maoh": a parodic comedy very funny and filled with bishonen!!

Beck is also a great one: the story of students who form a rock band (not a j-pop band, but a real rock band like Nirvana or Oasis). Touching and thrilling.

And NANA: do I have to decribe it?! XD
Old 2006-07-23, 10:55   Link #5
Furudanuki

It looks like you have already seen a lot of the series I would normally recommend, but here are a few that might also interest you:

Petopeto-san (Comedy, Drama, Supernatural, Romance) - Set in a middle school in an alternate reality where humans and youkai (in humanoid form) live together. The youkai are very different from what you might expect, especially the kappa! This series is not licensed, but it is a Media Factory title so it will not have torrents listed on AnimeSuki. However, seek and ye shall find.

Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ (Comedy, Romance) - A boy moves to Tokyo to attend art college and takes up residence at an apartment complex that can only be described as "unique". Quirky, but sweet without being saccharine or maudlin, and the cast of characters is a wonderfully eccentric mix. Warning: You may find that you have a strong craving for umeboshi after watching.

Kyou no Go no Ni (Comedy, School) - This is not a series, but is being released as 5 OVAs. Two episodes have been released and subbed thus far. The anime is set in a fifth grade classroom, and each episode is broken down into 5 "periods" - slice of life vignettes each of which tells a story. It is very similar to the way episodes of Azumanga Daioh were pieced together. The characters are interesting and the stories are amusing because the kids and the situations they find themselves in might be exaggerated, but you can still picture something similar happening in the real world.
Old 2006-07-23, 23:09   Link #6
Paper Lilies

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm going to look into Petopeto-san and perhaps Genshiken.
Old 2006-07-24, 04:39   Link #7
lockey2k

I endorse Honey and Clover Season I and II (ZOMG Season II is so good! <3 Rika)

Also endorse NANA, just a damn good anime. Not too much on the silly humor side, but still damn good.
Old 2006-07-24, 05:20   Link #8
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

OMG! A lot of people have recommended H&C before me! NOOO~!

Seriously, you haven't lived half your life as an otaku without watching Honey and Clover. Oh, and watch Honey and Clover II as well. Oh, and go read the manga afterwards. Oh, and visit Hachikuro cafe. Oh, and watch the live-action movie ...
Old 2006-07-24, 05:49   Link #9
domino
デレデレ

I'm impressed you made it that far without looking in to Honey & Clover. It's the king of comedic slice-of-life anime. Go for it.
Old 2006-07-24, 06:49   Link #10
mit7059

Yeah, Honey and Clover reigns supreme, but for good reason being the ultimate in slice of life romance/comedy. But Mahorabla ~Heatful Days~ was also enjoyable, cutsier but fun. Suzuka is a good slice of life in that it is probably the most realistic anime i've seen in that it could actually happen; but its 26 eps. and definatly not a comedy

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-07-24, 11:30   Link #11
Paper Lilies

Honestly, (please don't kill me for this) I have no desire to watch Honey & Clover. I may be missing out on a lot, but I just don't want to watch it.
Old 2006-07-24, 16:52   Link #12
LCeh

Just to make sure, does it have to be slice-of-life? Can it be sci-fi, or action, or things like that?
Old 2006-07-24, 18:44   Link #13
Paper Lilies

Honestly, I'm on a Slice-of-life kick, but I enjoy all kinds of anime. But if you have a suggestion you think I'd like, say them!
Old 2006-07-24, 19:53   Link #14
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Lilies
Honestly, (please don't kill me for this) I have no desire to watch Honey & Clover. I may be missing out on a lot, but I just don't want to watch it.
It seems almost arrogant and snobbish to ask for suggestions and then reject a suggestion that 6 out of 8 people who gave you suggestions left. If your going to reject our suggestions you could at least give us a better reason besides "I just don't want to watch it" Especially when it fits everything you asked for perfectly.

Old 2006-07-24, 21:59   Link #15
Paper Lilies

Quote:
It seems almost arrogant and snobbish to ask for suggestions and then reject a suggestion that 6 out of 8 people who gave you suggestions left. If your going to reject our suggestions you could at least give us a better reason besides "I just don't want to watch it" Especially when it fits everything you asked for perfectly.
Okay. I have seen the first six or seven episodes, perhaps not enough to evaluate the entire series, but enough to see it wasn't my thing. See, I didn't put it under my 'didn't like' because I didn't see even half of the series, which I did with all three of those series. (I finished Final Approach and Peach Girl, and got through 9 episodes of W-Wish.) I might try watching it again at some point, but I don't feel as if I want to watch it now.
Old 2006-07-25, 02:16   Link #16
Sunabouzu

i have seen H&C too and i was totaly disapointed -.-
i had to force myself to watch it to the end....

suzuka was realy good and beck is my favorite music anime
well...i have seen alot good slice of life anime but now that i have to list them i suddenly don't remember xD
i will edit this post later
-----
just to let you know i will watch H&C 2 because i want to know if it as bad as H&C^^ (in some way it got my attention)(shit...where is my dictionary -.-)
----
sry for this

Old 2006-07-25, 14:38   Link #17
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Lilies
Okay. I have seen the first six or seven episodes, perhaps not enough to evaluate the entire series, but enough to see it wasn't my thing. See, I didn't put it under my 'didn't like' because I didn't see even half of the series, which I did with all three of those series. (I finished Final Approach and Peach Girl, and got through 9 episodes of W-Wish.) I might try watching it again at some point, but I don't feel as if I want to watch it now.
Thank you, that was a much better reason. You should try coming back to it later though, maybe when you're a little older and can appreciate it more.

Closed Thread