AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-10-08, 23:08   Link #1
combat kitten

yes another dvd burning thread * different

waa yes i have read through other's post regarding burning dvd.
i said my situation is indeed different because. im not burning files into
dvd to watch as dvd, just burning files into dvd as storage. mostly my
avi and mkv animes.

for starters im currently using Nero Startsmart. sigh.. im so bad at computers,
and really sorry that you have to read through all this. i tried my best to include every possible thing i know >< ( which is... probably useless )

sigh im so confused to why i cant store my anime into some dvds ... it keeps on failing. kk first let me type of the one that works, and theone that fails.

*failed ones:

Osi disc , 4x speed, dvd -R
Memorex , 16x speed, dvd+ R
Rico ,1-8x speed, dvd -R
FujiFilm, 4x speed, DVD +RW ReWrittable

*ones that works:

Msonic , 1-4x, DVD+R
Fujifilm, 4x speed, DVD +R , RW

okok as you can see im clueless what to do so i... tried to buy ones that are 4x speed, and seems like only +R works? not sure... maybe just luck -.-
but here is the weirdest part.

when yesterday i went to buy fujifilm which i thought worked, but it didnt! what confuses me is, they both have exactly the same stats on it. the onnnnly difference is, one says dvd +RW. but!
what makes me confused is, they both have an icon that also says RW -.-?

so.... does that mean DVD + RW is not the same as DVD RW?
omg im so confused! another clue ihave when my dvd fails is. when it says " formatting dvd " im like uhoh... ok it wont work.
and i cant even eject the DvD out! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?~
combat kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 03:13   Link #2
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Formatting is what you do with a re-writeable (RW) disk to clear all the information off it before burning something new. You don't want to be doing that with standard writeable (R) disks.

Do you have a limited version of Nero? Or a fully paid for unlocked version? Either way, you should avoid that crappy startsmart rubbish and use the program as it was intended. Go to start -> all programs -> nero and start Nero Burning ROM (which you should have if it's the full version, else you'll need to start NeroExpress). It should bring up a wizard automatically. Choose DVD from the dropdown, make sure to UNcheck the multisession box, hit ok.

Now drag and drop files from the right pane into the new compilation pane on the left until you've filled the disk (approx. 4.36Gb normally). Then hit the Burn Compilation icon on the toolbar (hover the cursor over the buttons to see descriptions). You should probably check the box for 'Simulation' so that it performs a test burn first to make sure it works before it burns the disk.

If you're using NeroExpress, it's pretty much the same, just a different interface. Again, select DVD from the dropdown (the choose recorder dropdown when you start the program), then click Next, then Add and start adding files. Click next when done and burn the compilation.

Oh, and there are no real differences between DVD-R and DVD+R, they both do the same thing, they're just slightly different formats developed by the two major DVD associations, with very slightly different abilities.

If that still doens't work, there might be a problem with the drive. You really shouldn't be getting so many fails, but if you're doing something funky it's entirely possible
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 04:04   Link #3
sleeplessNites
being rock till senseless

Your problem seems to lie on the drive itself.

Have a look at the dvd-rw drive vendor's website for firmware updates or faqs. I had similar problems, the same type & brand of blank discs burned arbitrarily until a firmware update.
sleeplessNites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 06:45   Link #4
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Actually I had a similar problem with some memorex 16x disks, they failed until I updated my firmware, at which point they now burn fine.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-13, 21:18   Link #5
combat kitten

i recently bought a new dvd burner. every single disc that failed on my old burner, works now yay~!
combat kitten is offline   Reply With Quote