AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-18, 10:33   Link #1
deltara

Chapter 431 Discussion Spoilers

As per the forums rules, please don't ask or mention where to download the (licensed) manga. Also remember not to post or link to any translations of the manga, since this is illegal as well. Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome) but please do not discuss scans, raws, translation groups, etc.

Chapter 431 titled Fist of Love

Great REVELATION

In chapter 431 of the manga, the startling revelation was made that Garp is the grandfather of Luffy and Ace.

Another thing to say is that with the help of Franky a new ship is going to be build after he used the 200 million beri to buy the wood from the treasure tree (a special tree which is robust) and together with the blue prints he is going to build the dream ship for the straw hats and in Franky's words it will be a "terrific ship"
Old 2006-10-18, 10:34   Link #2
deltara

Garp is the person who cornerned GOLD ROGER

ANOTHER STARTLING REVELATION

Garp is the person who cornerned GOLD ROGER
Old 2006-10-18, 11:50   Link #3
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

That's really a huge revelation. Before, Aokiji's words were pointing towards a great pirate that caused problems for him, but he was a marine officer. Maybe, before he played a role in Roger's capture similar to what Aokiji played in Robin's past.

Anyway, I wonder what Garp will tell Luffy (maybe his friend also arrived at Water 7, if that is not an anime only filler).

Another thing is that Franky's dream was revealed. But, unfortunately, that dream does not actually include becoming the maintenance officer of a pirate ship. It seems he will just build the ship and let it go. Well, that is bad, he would become a good member. Then, the next person in line is Paulie.
Old 2006-10-18, 12:46   Link #4
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt
That's really a huge revelation. Before, Aokiji's words were pointing towards a great pirate that caused problems for him, but he was a marine officer.
Nope. Only dumb translations indicated such a thing. The original Japanese text NEVER suggested Aokiji and Garp were enemies. Actually, now that we know that the guy Aokiji was refering to is a Marine VA, I'd say Aokiji's line was hinting that he actually served under Garp (like Coby) in the past, when he was younger.
Old 2006-10-18, 13:14   Link #5
modamer jahim

ohhhh that wonderfull a new ship!!

oh man i want franky to be a mugiwara i hope so but paulie not bad either^_^
Old 2006-10-18, 14:51   Link #6
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Now, the bigger question is who Luffy's father is. It is really a strange transition going from a vice admiral grandparent to two pirate grandsons.
Old 2006-10-18, 15:21   Link #7
Slayerx

Wow, i never saw that one coming... Luffy's grandfather is the vice adrmil that cornered goldroger... vice adrmil Garp

Y'know what i love most about this kind of surprise; you never see it coming and yet there are some very subtle hints when you start to think about it... like how Garp is Narcoleptic just like Ace =P... and when Ao kiji mentioned Luffy's grandfather, Luffy seemed very worried about Ao kiji going into any details, or the crew asking questions; the intial thought was that Luffy's gandfather was apirate, but i kinda thought that maybe Luffy's granfather was an ex-marine or something similar; I could see why Luffy wouldn't want to talk about his grandfather if he used to be a marine... But vice admril who cornered Roger, never saw that coming
Old 2006-10-18, 15:56   Link #8
airsBlue

Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
well i didn't read the chapter yet ... but there is something i want to know, was this GRAP alone when he cornered roger !!!?
because i can't believe it, that roger was captured by just 1 VA .. if so then grap should be the world strongest man. and if so .. where is he !!?

also didn't Ao kiji motioned that he captured luffy's grandfather or got him (something like that) !!?

Quote:
Another thing to say is that with the help of Franky a new ship is going to be build after he used the 200 million beri to buy the wood from the treasure tree (a special tree which is robust) and together with the blue prints he is going to build the dream ship for the straw hats and in Franky's words it will be a "terrific ship"
well i think franky will go with luffy because either way he can't stay in water 7 anymore. franky situation is different from tom, because tom wasn't a wanted criminal and water 7 didn't have any value for WG .. but for franky it is totally different since he was criminal before eneis lobby accident and more ever he defeated 1 of Cp9 and saw helping robin in the bridge by the marines ... also i think he is a lot stronger and more unique than paulie and i think paulie dream was to help Iceburg. and Iceburg planning to make him the next leader for water 7.
Old 2006-10-18, 16:00   Link #9
Wolcik

Send a message via MSN to Wolcik
Franky may have two reasons to leave Water 7:
1) his dream ship will need constant repair and he can't leave that to Ussop (sniper)
2) he probably will gain big bounty on his head (as part of StrawHat Pirates) and he wouln't like to put danger on his friends
Old 2006-10-18, 16:35   Link #10
Undertaker

I have not read the chapter either but WOW, Garp is Luffy's grandpa?!!

Granted that I use to suspect that Luffy's Grandpa might be a Marine, but a current VA is still a shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsBlue View Post
also didn't Ao kiji motioned that he captured luffy's grandfather or got him (something like that) !!?
I don't remeber Aoi Kiji mention anything like like. All I remeber was that Aoi Kiji mentioned that he was "in the care" of Luffy's grandpa. But the way he says it could very well be taken in two opposite way. One is that he was litereally "in the care" of Luffy's grandpa which imply he used to serve under Luffy's grandpa or second that Luffy's grandpa was an enemey of his whom he might grew some
respect for.

Well now we know that it is most likely the former.

I'm still shock that Garp is luffy's grandpa. Because Garp doesn't seem to be an old guy to me (one in his 60's or older ) and one would think would have higer rank than VA if he is the one primary responsible for cornering Roger.

But that would explain why Luffy gets so defensive when Aoi Kiji mentioned his grandpa. After all Luffy is the Captain of a fast-rising pirate that just wipeout CP9 and took down the impenatrable Enis Lobby and the fact that his grandfather is a current VA noit to meniton th eone who cornered great Roger is enough to shut anybody up.
Old 2006-10-18, 17:10   Link #11
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
But that would explain why Luffy gets so defensive when Aoi Kiji mentioned his grandpa. After all Luffy is the Captain of a fast-rising pirate that just wipeout CP9 and took down the impenatrable Enis Lobby and the fact that his grandfather is a current VA noit to meniton th eone who cornered great Roger is enough to shut anybody up.
I don't think that kind of fear is the reason (and that Aokiji dialog happened before he came to Water 7). From the way Garp speaks and removes his mask, it seems more like Garp came to see Luffy as a grandfather rather than a Vice Admiral. So, the fear Luffy displayed is probably based on the family-relationship between them.

I hope Garp cornering Roger, and him coming to see Luffy are not coincidence (maybe another interesting grandfather waits for us, this time from the father side, assuming Garp is from the mother's side).
Old 2006-10-18, 17:15   Link #12
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsBlue View Post
well i didn't read the chapter yet ... but there is something i want to know, was this GRAP alone when he cornered roger !!!?
because i can't believe it, that roger was captured by just 1 VA .. if so then grap should be the world strongest man. and if so .. where is he !!?

well i think franky will go with luffy because either way he can't stay in water 7 anymore. franky situation is different from tom, because tom wasn't a wanted criminal and water 7 didn't have any value for WG .. but for franky it is totally different since he was criminal before eneis lobby accident and more ever he defeated 1 of Cp9 and saw helping robin in the bridge by the marines ... also i think he is a lot stronger and more unique than paulie and i think paulie dream was to help Iceburg. and Iceburg planning to make him the next leader for water 7.

Agreed, since Luffy's crew defeated CP9, the crew will consist of stronger people hence Franky> Paulie
Old 2006-10-18, 17:17   Link #13
Elemental-Magus
Tin-Plate Wapol

That would make sense Garp and Ace are both narcoleptic, and hmmmm he cornered and captured G.R. ? really? I wonder how.......anyways WOOT! the whos luffy's granfather thing bugged me for a long time. never thought it be someone in the military though.
Old 2006-10-18, 17:22   Link #14
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

By the way, the best line from the chapter would be the line referring to Luffy's eating habit: "He hates missing meals after the fight, so he learned how to eat while sleeping."
Old 2006-10-18, 18:14   Link #15
DrFuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
I hope Garp cornering Roger, and him coming to see Luffy are not coincidence (maybe another interesting grandfather waits for us, this time from the father side, assuming Garp is from the mother's side).
Hmmmm, come to think of it, there maybe Gol D. Roger is Luffy's grandfather from the other side. Its definitely not farfetched at all. Imagine... there would be a reason why there is so much family friction, you know, one grandfather capturing the other one...
Old 2006-10-18, 18:21   Link #16
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

WTF? That GARP is Luffy and Ace's grandfather?

So, Franky did use that stolen money to buy ship parts after all.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-18, 18:32   Link #17
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
I don't think that kind of fear is the reason (and that Aokiji dialog happened before he came to Water 7). From the way Garp speaks and removes his mask, it seems more like Garp came to see Luffy as a grandfather rather than a Vice Admiral. So, the fear Luffy displayed is probably based on the family-relationship between them.

sorry, I wasn't been clear, I don't know why I put in Enis Lobby and CP9 reference in it when I was fully aware the meeting took place before water7.... T_T

I 'm simply implying that because Luffy knew his grandpa is a current VA that's why he got defensive and akward when Aoi Kiji mention him. And fact that Garp is the one cornered Roger made it even more unformtable for Luffy.

Although, you raise an interesting point that I didn't know (i'm in work and have not read the new chapter yet), Garp is grandpa from his MOTHER's side. In that case, in Asian cultures, Garp is the Grandpa you felt less close to, and in most cases, the one you don't care for as much. This would explain why Luffy isn't influenced in joing the Marine when he was a kid.
Old 2006-10-18, 19:10   Link #18
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I used the mother's side as a reference mainly because the grandsons grew in a different place (that usually follows the lead of the father) to be people completely opposite of that grandfather (who at the time when Luffy was a child should be very famous). And Luffy and Ace chose to become pirates - and pirate kings- despite having such a strong marine character they can follow as an example. This looks as if there existed a stronger person in the family the grandsons can use a reference.

I am really glad that water 7 arc will end by uncovering the secrets of that mysterious grandpa who was introduced nearly at the beginning of this arc. Now that the whole crew including Robin will meet with that grandpa, I also hope something related to Ohara will be revealed, regarding that mysterious civilization, secret goals of World Government, etc., anything that the grandpa is unhappy about the world government so that he wouldn't mind letting go of his grandson.
Old 2006-10-18, 19:14   Link #19
Illuyankas
I need another drink.

Anyone else think that the person Garp brought to meet Luffy is a now-buff Coby? And probably (from the pics I saw) Morgan's son, as well. God, I didn't miss them.

Nonetheless, a cool chapter.
Old 2006-10-18, 19:55   Link #20
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
Nope. Only dumb translations indicated such a thing. The original Japanese text NEVER suggested Aokiji and Garp were enemies. Actually, now that we know that the guy Aokiji was refering to is a Marine VA, I'd say Aokiji's line was hinting that he actually served under Garp (like Coby) in the past, when he was younger.
Yup, I think that's the more appropriate explanation. It is the same as the Chinese translation.
Please remember translation can be a problem -- last time the "pinnacle" thing caught my attention of the misleading English translation. And in this chapter, imo, the word "corner" prolly is a tad too strong that I dont see such a translation in any others. How about "chase him around"? Any Japanese native speakers please enlighten us.

And mysteries in this chapter:
1) coby and that kid (forgotten the correct spelling) of Morgan the Axeman, are too apparent
2) prolly the "adam" tree franky brought may be the one in ohara.
Closed Thread