AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-10-28, 10:11   Link #1
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

New moe contest

Saimoe is obviously the worst created contest system I've seen. It works for basketball and car racing to eliminate the less skillful or slowest cars but not for popularity voting. It's too full of voting against and not for characters you like and too full of revenge voting. The only thing saimoe can create is ****storms.

I propose a new system. My plan is to create a new moe voting contest where every day all 30 (or 50 or whatever we decide on) contestants are voted on at once. People get 1 vote per day for 30 days. At the end of every day votes will be tallied and at the end of the 30 they will be added and the winner will be declared.

Don't like that desu is losing to Nanoha? you can't vote for Gin to make up for it, you just vote more for desu. That way the person who people like most will win.

Since it'll take time to start we can begin in January and have all shows which debuted in 2007 qualify, that means no Kanon 2006 but yes for Higurashi kai. A much better and accurate system.
KenOhki'sRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 13:00   Link #2
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I dont' think saimoe's concept is bad, just that it has some poor execution. The voting system is riddled with fraud, ironicly brought about by the very system in place to prevent it, but that's nothing that can't be fixed. The tournement based structure is what makes it interesting. If it was just a single vote people would lose interest very quickly.
Old 2007-10-28, 13:44   Link #3
bayoab

And all it takes is one legion of fans wise enough to gather everyone and only vote for one character of their show to make sure it wins and you have just created a glorified popularity contest. Beside, how can you guarantee one vote per person? If I've got 5 entire /16 IP blocks to myself, how are you going to stop me from making 10000 votes? You are just walking into a more flawed process than you are walking out from. Also, if you see your character is losing, you can start spite voting for another one to make sure another doesn't win. I'm sure others can find ways to abuse it even more.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 16:58   Link #4
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

if Saimoe was just another popularity contest i won't bother voting or do any campaginning.
Old 2007-10-28, 17:12   Link #5
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

People would have 1 vote per day, in all you can vote 30 times for your favorite character. Certainly people would find ways to vote multiple times but that's happening already and is inevitable. It goes both ways though and shouldn't be counted against the contest.

The current system of saimoe is not a popularity contest which is the problem. What I propose is an end to the revenge voting and voting against characters which is the main problem, additionally previous voting records are not taken into account. If they added first and second rounds together it would have prevented less popular characters from advancing who only advanced to "Take out" another.

Saimoe is terrible as it stands, making another contest is the only way to fix it.

If you have ideas which would make a new contest better and more interesting do it. There's no reason it needs to be me making the rules, I'll gladly step aside for better people to do this but I feel it needs to be done.
KenOhki'sRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 17:41   Link #6
cyth
Banned

It is true that Saimoe's outcomes most likely differ from the actual popularity of the characters at hand. However, Saimoe Tournament is exactly what its title says it is. A tournament. Characters get random opponents; some of them get lucky, some don't. The final outcome depends on a number of factors; from days of the week (weekend/weekday), to character's nationality (is it Rozen Maiden, is it Raki Suta?), to previous losses and wins, people's moods, and finally, the actual character appeal.

Angry a character you cheered on lost? Too bad. Take a walk, come back after you've cooled down and enjoy the tournament for what it is. If you wish to make your own, go ahead and actually do it, but I doubt I'll be participating.

Last edited by cyth; 2007-10-28 at 20:29.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 20:09   Link #7
aldw

Sure, got nothing to lose and everything to gain, so give it a shot.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 20:49   Link #8
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
I would have done any anime that AIRED in 2007.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 20:54   Link #9
-MotokoAoyama-
*Artist

I actually think the fake votes and revenge voting is what makes saimoe interesting. I don't think you can gauge how popular a character is simply by saimoe performance. The tournament wasn't meant to be like that to start with.

I won't say a new tournament would be a better tournament. Rather, it is just a different tournament that gauges different things. Some people may prefer your method, but others may find it boring. You can give it a try, but I don't think the creation of a new tournament will change the popularity of saimoe
-MotokoAoyama- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 01:03   Link #10
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

If you want the result of the character's actual popularity go read newtype or something.
As for Moe, it is serious business. And as of right now I find saimoe's system really interesting even if it is not really fair at times, it is a festival when people show love for their fav Chars and post support materials, most otakus forget that.
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 12:34   Link #11
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

To me, one solution to this mess is that, rather than have the polls runned on the 2ch boards (save for the prelims), Saimoe should have a site where people can choose the winners of the matches via poll a la Korean Saimoe, with one vote per IP address per match.

That way, we don't have to worry about "fake votes", and by not revealing the current totals until the end of the match, people vote based on preferences and the pictures on the site rather than who is in the lead.
Old 2007-10-29, 18:17   Link #12
wontaek

How a tournament is run has huge effect on the voters' behavior. It is possible to virtually eliminate faction voting, anti voting, and revenge voting with change of tournament format, but there always is question of such "Is it fun and exciting?"

The best format I came up with that balance encouragement of civility, fairness, while allowing some minor characters to shine is as follow. Sadly, it has been denounced as boring by most people. The most important part of the procedure is to allow voters multiple votes, allow multiple characters to advance from each group, and have a parallel consolation round to give everyone one more chance, thus it will be extremely hard to completely eliminate a popular character early in the tournament, reducing the effectiveness of any factions or anti-XXX groups.

1. Nomination phase: Use email and bulletin board to accept nomination of characters. To prevent jokes, minimum of 2 nomination is needed to be included in the tournament. There should not be minimum of how many different character someone can nominate, nor any eligibility criterion, as someone thought to be improper is likely to be weeded out very fast, or add interesting spice to the tournament. Let's assume something like 9000 characters were nominated more than twice (Large number used to emphasize the complexity of the whole affair)

2. Preliminary: Group the 9000 characters into approximately 95 groups of 94~95 characters. Let all voters choose 4 characters per group. Allow top 10 characters from the group to advance to the main 1st round. The rest will go to 1st consolation round.

3. 1st round:

Main round will be around 31 groups of 30~31 characters. Let voters choose 3 characters per group, and top 6 will go to 2nd main round. The rest will go to 2nd consolation round.

Consolation round: There will be 90 groups of 89~90 characters. Voters will chose 4 per group and top 10 will advance to 2nd consolation round. The rest would have used up all their chance.

3. 2nd round

Main: make 14 groups of 13~14 characters. Voters will choose 3 and top 4 will advance to 3rd main round. rest will go to 3rd consolation round.

Consolation: 1664 characters will be divided to 41 groups of 40~41 characters. Voters will chose 3 and top 7 will advance to 3rd consolation round.

4. 3rd round

Main: 8 groups of 7 characters will be made. Voters will choose 2 and top 3 will advance to 4th round. Rest to 4th consolation round.

consolation: 417 characters will be divided into 21 groups of 19~20 characters. Voters will choose 3, and top 5 will advance to the 4th consolation round.

5. 4th round

main: 4 groups of 5~6 characters will be made. Voters will choose 2 and top 2 from each group will advance to 5th round. Rest to 5th consolation round.

consolation: 137 characters will be divided to 12 groups of 11 ~12 characters. voters will choose 3 and top 4 will advance

6. 5th round

main: all 8 will be placed in 1 group. voters will choose 2 and top 2 will go to the 1st final.

consolation: 64 characters will be placed in 8 groups of 8 characters. Voters will choose 2 and top 3 will advance to final consolation round

7. 1st final and consolation

1st final: top 2 will slug out for the champion title. the loser will go to challenger stage

final consolation: 30 characters will be split into 6 groups of 5 characters. voters will choose 2 and top 2 per each group will advance to the challenger stage

9. Mandatory challenger selection.

The 11 characters will be divided into 2 groups, where voters will choose 2 and top 2 will advance to title defense stage.

10. Initial title defense.

The champion and the 4 challenger will be placed into single group where voters will again vote for 2 characters they like to see most in the final title defense.

11. Final title defense

The last one to one battle should settle who is the most popular without much doubt, as the winner either defended the crown, or wrested the crown from the initial champion.

All ties should be allowed to advance to the higher rounds. The final rank should be decided by simply adding up all the voters they received in the entire tournament. The cumulative total votes should be used for seeding which will determine who will be placed to which group. The groups with lower overall seeds( the seed of the character with the best seed in the group ) should be the first to receive the additional candidate. There is almost no 1 on 1 battle, so it may not be fun, but this is fairest and quickest way to weed out lesser characters to determine who is the most popular character. Lack of one vs. one battle will severely curtail desires for revenge against certain characters.

Please manipulate this method to your taste. Please don't hesitate to air your questions.
Old 2007-10-31, 10:38   Link #13
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
It is true that Saimoe's outcomes most likely differ from the actual popularity of the characters at hand. However, Saimoe Tournament is exactly what its title says it is. A tournament. Characters get random opponents; some of them get lucky, some don't. The final outcome depends on a number of factors; from days of the week (weekend/weekday), to character's nationality (is it Rozen Maiden, is it Raki Suta?), to previous losses and wins, people's moods, and finally, the actual character appeal.
Well said. I think KenOhki'sRage is mistaking the Saimoe contest with something like a fair trial. But it's just a sort of sports. The outcome doesn't really mean anything and has only as much importance as you are willing to give to it. If you're not participating just for the fun then better ignore it.

And no, real sports tournaments (basketball, car racing) aren't good means to find out the "really, truly, objectively best team" either. If you want contests like that I'll try and think of something better. I don't know yet how it will look like but I can already tell you that you won't be able to sell many hotdogs there.

If I had any criticism about Saimoe I'd say it's too big, too distant, and thus not interesting. But even an animesuki-only contest would probably already be too big. IMHO popularity contests are only fun in small forums where people know each other and vote in public.
Old 2007-10-31, 12:19   Link #14
Mad Dog
Banned

I'm already in the beginsing stages of creating the American Saimoe Contest. And I'll have a unique way of voting to be set up. Please look forward to it in the future. (May take a while to get to gether though)
Mad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 13:42   Link #15
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
If I may suggest one thing, if you're seeding, make sure #1 Suiseiseki and #2 Shana are in that particular order, since those two seem to dominate until the latter rounds these past two years.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 17:13   Link #16
pirs
Yuki.N is love~

best moe (kor) >>> saimoe (jap)

and about revenge votes, that's called war.
Old 2007-10-31, 17:26   Link #17
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
if Saimoe was just another popularity contest i won't bother voting or do any campaginning.
My point exactly, so I never/try not to participate in stuff like that >.<

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote