Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-17, 22:11   Link #1
fuzzles
anal retentive

Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
looking for action and or drama

Action and/or Drama and/ or Adventure, if it has a very dark main character that is a giant plus, maybe not too accustomed to most of society a good example is the first 13 episodes of angel heart, character could also be on the run from something, trying to find something, lotsa blood etc

none of these are requirements just preferences

but definately no episodic shows they fail to hold my interest for very long and if it starts off that way (like witch hunter robin) then gets good make sure to tell

i've been searching the other threads and seem to find the same shows, oh and i swear to god if something recommends me Tenga Toppa Gurren Laggann i'm gonna lose it, also no annoying awkward loser characters they're just way too damn common and i'm sick of seeing "oh i'm so nervous that girl i like is right there"

Spoiler for for shows i've seen at least look at this before recommending me something pleeease:

Spoiler for for things i've seen:

thanks for the efforts since i'm quite anal

Last edited by fuzzles; 2008-05-17 at 22:25.
Old 2008-05-17, 22:30   Link #2
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
You haven't seen Chrno Crusade, which has an arguably dark main character, or at least, sometimes dark. It's a mix of action/adventure/comedy with notable romance scenes.

Another good series is Saikano, a wonderful action/adventure/romance/drama that I think are among the best of its kind. However, art and animation could be better.

I will also recommend Seirei no Moribito, a show with minimal action but is filled with drama/adventure/fantasy.

And finally, if you really want drama, then you can try Bokurano, and mecha series (with not a lot of mecha/action). It focuses only drama.

For some reason I noticed that your list is filled with hate comments, so you hate most anime you see?
Old 2008-05-17, 22:49   Link #3
Ellaya_dw

Send a message via ICQ to Ellaya_dw
OK, my favorite Action/Adventure anime and maybe with some Drama:
Baccano! - just must see, ALL the main characters are criminals.
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto - if you don't mind about samurai theme.
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou - schoolboys and girls vs demons.
Utawarerumono
Ghost Hunt - the main action is in the end and first 3 eps is horrible, but it's an interesting show, try it.
The Big O - the main character is like batman, he's just cool.
Hatenkou Yugi - terrifying fairy tales with interesting characters.
Darker Than Black - main character is a criminal, yes.
Old 2008-05-17, 22:51   Link #4
fuzzles
anal retentive

Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
You haven't seen Chrno Crusade, which has an arguably dark main character, or at least, sometimes dark. It's a mix of action/adventure/comedy with notable romance scenes.

Another good series is Saikano, a wonderful action/adventure/romance/drama that I think are among the best of its kind. However, art and animation could be better.

I will also recommend Seirei no Moribito, a show with minimal action but is filled with drama/adventure/fantasy.

And finally, if you really want drama, then you can try Bokurano, and mecha series (with not a lot of mecha/action). It focuses only drama.

For some reason I noticed that your list is filled with hate comments, so you hate most anime you see?
thanks for the suggestion definately gonna look into Chrno Crusade and see if i like it, no i don't hate most animes i see, that list though is filled with shows i stopped watching cause i hated parts of them , the list i finished though is much larger so i think you could say i hate about a quarter of the shows i see, I don't hate episodic i just dislike it for action drama shows it makes me tend to lose interest with out some suspense, comedy is great for it though; but yes i hate it when they give those loser male characters you always see them fail in a dumb way and they're just way too predictable
Old 2008-05-18, 10:27   Link #5
Autumn Demon
~

hunter x hunter
utawarerumono
Old 2008-05-18, 15:47   Link #6
devildog23
Summerlurking

Lol you are hard to please, I rather enjoyed some of the anime you totally shot down.

I second Darker than Black (damn somebody beat me to it). It was the first thing that came to mind. It meets every requirement EXCEPT it is heavily arc driven, but it isn't episodic. All the arcs contribute to the plot. Main character is one of my favorites.

Also for Rurouni Kenshin, i think it is episodic UNTIL the second season (Shishio arc), in which it gets 20x better or maybe it is episodic until all the major characters are introduced?

Black Cat's main character starts out dark, but drifts out of it.

Berserk is a dark action/adventure/low-fantasy anime with a badass main that could be considered "dark". Its pretty great, check it out.
Old 2008-05-18, 18:04   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't see Monster in either of your lists. The story continues through 74 episodes with no fillers. With a mix of serious drama, occasional action, and adult characters, Monster might be just what you're looking for.
Old 2008-05-19, 15:20   Link #8
psgels

Send a message via MSN to psgels
How about:
Toward the Terra (science fiction)
Narutaru
Ayakashi ~Japanese Classic Horror (it's arc-based, though the story figuratively can't get much darker than this)
Old 2008-05-19, 16:59   Link #9
cerrian

Baccano - I'll second this one. No one is a saint here even though you'll be cheering for them.

Ergo Proxy - futuristic and apocalyptic setting with a goth-like characters and some social outcasts. Be warned though, robots are a major plot element.

Gantz - has a similar feel as Witch Hunter Robin. It's more hardcore and deals a bit more with some philosophical questions.

Kure-nai - currently airing this season. It fits the profile where a set of characters don't fit into the general society with a dark atmosphere around them. Mostly a drama with a heavy emphasis on character development.

Mnemosyne - dark characters, questionable morals, action, blood, sex, lolis...pretty close to what you are asking for. Currently airing as an OAV with a release of once a month. 4 out of 7 eps have been aired so far.
Old 2008-05-19, 17:28   Link #10
nanafan
horo fan

full metal panic- mecha, action, some comedy, romance
library war- drama, comedy, action
Closed Thread