Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-24, 19:37   Link #1
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Shopping District Community

I am looking for anime with a strong shipping district community. Bizarre, I know, but bear with me.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has a pretty well known scene in the first episode, where it touches on how the shopping district is facing competition from the larger retail stores.

I was watching The Gargoyle of the Yoshinagas today and I noticed one of the episodes focused on the same theme. Smaller stores facing pressure from larger retail stores--this one had a bit more focus (comedic that it was) about that issue.

I find myself oddly intrigued by this plight because it is something that transcends culture in part, and its an interesting...dare I say message to viewer imbued into the storyline, abet in a minor way. It is a bit of a long shot, but perhaps someone has seen something else similar and could offer me a suggestion or two?
Old 2009-02-24, 19:53   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You definitely need to watch Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade. It's exactly what you're looking for. Even the development of the Arcade plays a role.

Just a warning that a lot of the story takes place outside the Arcade. The two main characters are a twelve-year-old boy and girl who are childhood friends. Somehow they're magically transported into a succession of alternate worlds, all of which are parodies of mainstream media genres. In between we learn about the Arcade's history.

Let me suggest one other item, episode two of Bartender. It tells the story of a father and son in postwar Japan fighting over the proper role for their family's inn in an era of worldwide hotel chains. Even though it's not about shopping arcades, the underlying themes are quite similar. It's also probably my favorite episode in that excellent show.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-02-24 at 22:31. Reason: Added Bartender episode
Old 2009-02-24, 20:48   Link #3
Shadow Kira01

I have no clue but hope this helps:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/306/Abe...engai/userrecs
http://myanimelist.net/anime/849/The...umiya/userrecs
http://myanimelist.net/anime/965/Yos...goyle/userrecs
Old 2009-02-24, 21:53   Link #4
Haruyan

Welcome to the NHK! maybe?
Old 2009-02-24, 22:55   Link #5
jedinat

NieA_7 maybe? I seem to remember some sort of town meetings occurring (which was only attended for the free bento) and at one point there was a rivalry going on between two bath houses... I dunno, it's been a while, but that is the closest thing that comes to mind.

I also seem to remember that what's-her-face from Honey and Clover grew up in that type of community, and at least one episodes had some references to that...

Rather sparse suggestions, but oh well.
Old 2009-02-25, 01:38   Link #6
-chii-
chii is chii

yakitate-japan!!
for most of the beginning eps is about a small store fighting for survival against a bigger one

muteki-kanban-musume
is another as well

i'll add more if i can think of them.
Old 2009-02-25, 02:13   Link #7
monir
cho~ kakkoii

The only other show that comes in mind other than Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai which has been already mentioned by SeijiSensei, I would say Salaryman Kintaro which loosely ponders on the particular aspect you are interested in.

I'm also very glad to see one more person has watched Yoshinaga-san`chi no Gargoyle.
Old 2009-02-25, 05:43   Link #8
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
[quote]You definitely need to watch Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade. It's exactly what you're looking for. Even the development of the Arcade plays a role.

Just a warning that a lot of the story takes place outside the Arcade. The two main characters are a twelve-year-old boy and girl who are childhood friends. Somehow they're magically transported into a succession of alternate worlds, all of which are parodies of mainstream media genres. In between we learn about the Arcade's history.[/QUOTE]

In examples I gave, its only a theme in one or three episodes, so I was expecting this more or less. Thank for you the suggestion.

Quote:
Let me suggest one other item, episode two of Bartender. It tells the story of a father and son in postwar Japan fighting over the proper role for their family's inn in an era of worldwide hotel chains. Even though it's not about shopping arcades, the underlying themes are quite similar. It's also probably my favorite episode in that excellent show.
I keep hearing good things about Bartender, so without a doubt I'll have to look into it as well.

Thanks for the assistance, I thought this would be a tough request because even in the examples I give, its not a main theme, just an underlining current. Thus the topic sources tend to not relate directly always.

Quote:
Welcome to the NHK! maybe?
I've heard of NHK but not sat down and watched it, I'll have to look into it.

Quote:
NieA_7 maybe? I seem to remember some sort of town meetings occurring (which was only attended for the free bento) and at one point there was a rivalry going on between two bath houses... I dunno, it's been a while, but that is the closest thing that comes to mind.

I also seem to remember that what's-her-face from Honey and Clover grew up in that type of community, and at least one episodes had some references to that...
I read up on NeiA 7 and see if that fits what I am looking for.

I've actually seen Honey and Clover and didn't even think to mention the part about Yamada. I thought this would be a pretty tough task, thanks for the assistance.

Quote:
yakitate-japan!!
for most of the beginning eps is about a small store fighting for survival against a bigger one

muteki-kanban-musume
is another as well

i'll add more if i can think of them.
These both sound exactly like was I was searching for. Thank for your the help!

Quote:
The only other show that comes in mind other than Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai which has been already mentioned by SeijiSensei, I would say Salaryman Kintaro which loosely ponders on the particular aspect you are interested in.
I'll definitely look into the later.

Quote:
I'm also very glad to see one more person has watched Yoshinaga-san`chi no Gargoyle.
I am actually really surprised it isn't better known. I was really impressed with it. The animation was nostalgic in a way--it was a really fun show to watch. It definitely seems like a diamond in the rough and I’ll probably end up suggesting it to others, should it meet their criteria. Thank you for your time.

I'd like to reiterate that sentiment to everyone that took the time to respond.

Last edited by Telmah; 2009-02-25 at 05:44. Reason: typo
Old 2009-02-25, 14:17   Link #9
holyalexander
holy alexander

hwy thanks for the links too guys..
Old 2009-02-26, 00:24   Link #10
4Tran

Hmm... I don't see any mention of PetoPeto-san so far. It's a show about youkai children being integrated into a school with normal humans, but a major sub-plot in the second half of the show is about the featured town trying to drum up business and attention.

Another show that's sort of what you might be looking for is Super GALS!. This show is a bit different from the other ones listed, but it's an exploration of a shopping district's (in this case, Shibuya) culture from the point of view of those partaking in it. It also happens to be a very good show that's very fun to watch.