AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-23, 22:36   Link #1
Ulysses Odysseus

Similar to Welcome to the N.H.K

I am looking for some series that are similar to a specific part of N.H.K.

I'll have to put it in spoilers since it spoils a certain episode DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT THIS EPISODE SPOILED

Spoiler for episode 18:

Something similar with a character who suffers from some sort of major life issue but then breaks free from it. By life issues, I mean anything, just overthinking things, depression, etc. I liked the realistic view NHK took on things but am looking for something more positive now.

Spoiler for NGE:
Old 2009-06-23, 23:37   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I think that Natsume Yuujinchou is a good choice, and if you don't mind shooting a little girly, magical girl shows often have characters who have to make revelations like this. I would recommend Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, but the second season is amazing while the first is terrible, so it's up to you if you want to risk it (and also, most people like the first season a lot more than I do.)

Other good examples... Oh! Perhaps the best and most similar will be The Legend of Black Heaven, a cult classic about a middle-aged man who used to be in a rock band wishing he could get back to the glory days but fighting with reality - and there's a galaxy war and aliens in there somewhere. It's an amazing and uplifting show that I highly recommend.

I'd also put ef a tale of memories in here. On the surface, it's a romance show, but it's really about dealing with different people's finding their place in life and trying to decide what to do with their lives that will be best for them. Make sure you watch MEMORIES because the second season MELODIES is terrible.
Old 2009-06-24, 00:48   Link #3
Ulysses Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
I think that Natsume Yuujinchou is a good choice, and if you don't mind shooting a little girly, magical girl shows often have characters who have to make revelations like this. I would recommend Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, but the second season is amazing while the first is terrible, so it's up to you if you want to risk it (and also, most people like the first season a lot more than I do.)

Other good examples... Oh! Perhaps the best and most similar will be The Legend of Black Heaven, a cult classic about a middle-aged man who used to be in a rock band wishing he could get back to the glory days but fighting with reality - and there's a galaxy war and aliens in there somewhere. It's an amazing and uplifting show that I highly recommend.

I'd also put ef a tale of memories in here. On the surface, it's a romance show, but it's really about dealing with different people's finding their place in life and trying to decide what to do with their lives that will be best for them. Make sure you watch MEMORIES because the second season MELODIES is terrible.
Natsume sounds very interesting. No problem with girl for me, I liked AMG and other "cute" shows. Hell, I play The Sims 3.

On second thought, both natsume and nanoha don't seem to be what I'm looking for since they involve fantasy stuff. I was more thinking of semi-realistic series.

Last edited by Ulysses Odysseus; 2009-06-24 at 02:37.
Old 2009-06-24, 00:55   Link #4
Sasano

I have a suggestion on the tip of my tongue/keyboard but I can't remember it.For now though the only thing I can think of would be CLANNAD, but its in the second season("After Story") and even with how vauge I'm being I think its major spoiler by itself.
Old 2009-06-24, 11:22   Link #5
Coruja

Maybe Chaos;Head?
The visual novel is SO much better than the anime, though.
Old 2009-06-24, 13:06   Link #6
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses Odysseus View Post
I am looking for some series that are similar to a specific part of N.H.K.

I'll have to put it in spoilers since it spoils a certain episode DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT THIS EPISODE SPOILED

Spoiler for episode 18:

Something similar with a character who suffers from some sort of major life issue but then breaks free from it. By life issues, I mean anything, just overthinking things, depression, etc. I liked the realistic view NHK took on things but am looking for something more positive now.

Spoiler for NGE:
Spoiler for :

perhaps you should give haibane renmei a try. when i first heard about it - no romance, no action etc. i didnt think it would be too great. boy was i wrong - though the main character isnt necessarily the one facing the issues. it does involve fantasy, but its not 'magicky' so to speak
Old 2009-06-25, 09:17   Link #7
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses Odysseus View Post
Natsume sounds very interesting. No problem with girl for me, I liked AMG and other "cute" shows. Hell, I play The Sims 3.

On second thought, both natsume and nanoha don't seem to be what I'm looking for since they involve fantasy stuff. I was more thinking of semi-realistic series.
Don't overlook my other suggestions! Ef doesn't have any magical element, so I suggest that.
Old 2009-06-26, 03:01   Link #8
kenzikan

I'd definitely give Genshiken a try. It's about club that is obsessed with anime, manga, etc. It becomes the focal part of the characters' lives and the story later goes on to how they find their place in society after they graduate.
Closed Thread