AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-14, 14:12   Link #1
Cipher

Philosophical Anime

Could anyone suggest an anime that has it's characters mainly spouting off philosophical "gibberish"?

I often see these "gibberish" happen in those large scale mecha anime, where "humanity" is judged by a main character in some sort of vague deep viewpoint. But the problem with these animes I've seen is that I believe they focus too much on the details (e.g. 4021 soldiers in X and 500 people in "Grassland" or some weird planet.)

I'd like an anime where the characters are heavily philosophical (even in their daily lives).

Thank you.
Old 2010-07-14, 14:14   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I suppose Claire from Baccano! would count. He also makes a philosophical speech though it only happens once, i think. Haruhi is probably a better example.
Old 2010-07-14, 14:31   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

It may not look like it at the beginning, but Mouryou no Hako has a large period of philosophical exposition in its middle episodes.

You'll find a number of threads in this forum if you search for "philosophical." Choose "Advanced Search" and "Search Titles Only" in the drop-down box below the search field. Unfortunately none of these is tagged as "philosophical" so you have to do a more round-about search. The most extensive thread is here.
Old 2010-07-14, 14:31   Link #4
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I suppose Claire from Baccano! would count. He also makes a philosophical speech though it only happens once, i think.
Thank you but once is a no no. I want the talk happening all the time.

Quote:
Haruhi is probably a better example.
I watched it and I believe it's not mainly philosophical. Most dialogues involved too much situation.
Old 2010-07-14, 14:33   Link #5
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
It may not look like it at the beginning, but Mouryou no Hako has a large period of philosophical exposition in its middle episodes.
Thank you.

Quote:
You'll find a number of threads in this forum if you search for "philosophical." Choose "Advanced Search" and "Search Titles Only" in the drop-down box below the search field. Unfortunately none of these is tagged as "philosophical" so you have to do a more round-about search. The most extensive thread is here.
Yes, I have done this. But not the bolded parts, thank you.
Old 2010-07-14, 14:42   Link #6
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would have to recommend Tatami Galaxy.
Old 2010-07-14, 20:54   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Especially Rei.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-07-14, 22:34   Link #8
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I would have to recommend Tatami Galaxy.
I have watched 1st 4 of Mouryou and the 1st episode of Tatami Galaxy and have found them way too situational and detail oriented. I can only see mystical topics---which are slightly interesting---being dialogued and none relating to philosophy: the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.

The thoughts[of characters] were great but perhaps someone could suggest something more of a theoretical and logically sound dialogued anime?
Old 2010-07-14, 22:35   Link #9
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Especially Rei.
Ah yes, I have tried this. The philosophical talk in this series is still too rare.
Old 2010-07-14, 22:38   Link #10
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Casshern Sins

Its basically poem in animated form.
Old 2010-07-14, 22:39   Link #11
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Casshern Sins

Its basically poem in animated form.
Thank you. I have heard good things about this anime. Though I'd like to remind you and everyone, I am not looking for "poetry". I am looking for "reasonings"; a rational-based opinion/thoughts/dialogue anime.
Old 2010-07-14, 22:41   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Gundam Wing...Although you should probably know this...Treize Khushranada is the KING of philosophy and one of my alltime favorite characters...
Old 2010-07-14, 22:45   Link #13
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Gundam Wing...Although you should probably know this...Treize Khushranada is the KING of philosophy and one of my alltime favorite characters...
Yes, it was interesting but those weren't really the main focus of this anime.
Old 2010-07-14, 22:48   Link #14
james0246

^You're just trying to piss Cipher off .

That being said, Kaiba could be a good choice. Maybe a little more psychology rather than Philosophical, but still up there.

Additionally,
Mushishi
Ergo Proxy
Wolf`s Rain
Serial Experiments Lain

maybe, Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei & Kuuchuu Buranko

Last edited by james0246; 2010-07-19 at 00:38.
Old 2010-07-14, 22:54   Link #15
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^You're just trying to piss Cipher off .

That being said, Kaiba could be a good choice. Maybe a little more psychology rather than Philosophical, but still up there.

Ergo Proxy
I will try this.

I have tried all of these and my experiences tells me they lacked realistic substance and had too much "air". I will try them again, I might have missed something.

Thank you.
Old 2010-07-14, 23:12   Link #16
james0246

Just go read Vagabond...
Old 2010-07-14, 23:20   Link #17
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Crest of the Stars?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-07-14, 23:20   Link #18
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Thank you. I have heard good things about this anime. Though I'd like to remind you and everyone, I am not looking for "poetry". I am looking for "reasonings"; a rational-based opinion/thoughts/dialogue anime.
Yes, and I think that title provide what you want but with poetic style of story-telling.
Old 2010-07-14, 23:23   Link #19
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Yes, it was interesting but those weren't really the main focus of this anime.
I disagree, Wing almost strictly chooses philosophy as it's main thematic device throughout the entire series...Everything from Milyardo Peacecraft's descent into Zechs Marquise to WuFei Chang's entire character arc to clashes between pacifism and war (Usually via Relena)...Morso than any other Gundam series by far Gundam Wing is the most philosophically based...Treize may be the most philosophical character I've ever seen, but I digress...

I'm sure you've seen GITSSAC and 2nd Gig, if you haven't these two series are extremely philosophical in overall themes...Bartender is another show that has this element although in a more slice of life manner...But if you just want hardcore pontificating I don't know anything stronger than Gundam Wing (Hell Gundam in general)...

Gankutsuou while not purely philosophical it has alot of hardcore speech moments of passion and idealism...It's the Count of Monty Crisco so if you've heard of it you should know a little about Dante's philosophy on revenge...
Old 2010-07-14, 23:26   Link #20
james0246

S.cry.ed reads as a great existential story...
Closed Thread