View Single Post
Old 2009-07-28, 05:13   Link #241
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
I've written a short article on a blog surrounding the definition of a light novel. Do you agree with the conclusion I draw in it? http://ranobecafe.wordpress.com/2009...a-light-novel/

I know this a pretty hot bed topic, but I tried to formulate to the best that I could, the best conclusion reachable.

-Matt
I think it is impossible to come up with an one-and-only "true" definition of light novel. Its ambiguity feels a bit like the word "moe", to which anyone who is into the hobby has its own interpretation.

If your article is an academic essay, it may be a good idea to list out all the major definitions prevalent (the results among the fans and those working in the industry can be quite different) and let the readers to decide. But since it is a blog entry, I think the article is already very decent.

On a sidenote, recently I have read 俺の妹がこんなに可愛いわけがない ("How Can My Sister be so Cute!") by 伏見つかさ. It is a decent little story with not much emphasis on plot but have some very good characters.

The story centres around Kirino and Kyousuke: two siblings who are in pretty bad terms with each other. Kyousuke was forced to involved in all kinds of wierd stuff after discovering Kirino's interest in R18+ eroge.

Contrary to the outlandish summary above, I think the story is a very realistic portray of the relationship between any elder brother and younger sister. It is also fun to spot all kinds of otaku jokes here and there.

I have got a full review on my blog btw, if you are interested.