View Single Post
Old 2009-10-19, 11:56   Link #293
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Oh well, at least because of that, I am able to read some simple light novel like baka tesuto to shoukanjuu without opening a dictionary.
Well, maybe not having local translations available is indeed a good incentive for learning a foreign language faster . It is already quite an accomplishment to be able to read a Japanese novel without consulting a dictionary. If your local publishers are releasing manga like crazy, sooner or later they will step into the light novel business. Just focus on further polishing your Japanese skills now. You may have a chance to land on a decent LN translation job in the future.

Back to the light novel scene in Japan, MediaWorks which is currently in control of Dengeki bunko plans to start a new lablel called MediaWorks Bunko. Its target readers are young adults who have been reading light novels during their teenage years and want to explore beyond the light novel landscape. Notable writers include 有川浩, 壁井ユカコ, 入間人間, 古橋秀之, 渡瀬草一郎 and 杉井光 (basically the writers behind many of Dengeki's bestsellers).

Heck, my wallet has been under the control MediaWorks since Day 1 of my Japanese study. When I start to have some interest in other modern Japanese literature, they again make another killing strike...

The typical life path of a Dengeki/MediaWorks zombie :
Yotsubato!, Ichigo Marshmallow & etc (kids/seinen manga) -> Dengeki Daioh (shounen/seinen manga magazine) -> Dengeki Bunko (light novels) -> MediaWorks Bunko -> Fiscal death?

Last edited by Doraneko; 2009-10-19 at 12:06. Reason: Ouch, typos...
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote