Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-07-22, 09:06   Link #81
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Don_Kun View Post
lol, one day I intend to beat any of the Touhou games on normal without continues. Right now I can only get to stage 5 on PCB before Youmu kills me...

unfortunately easy is wayy to easy now, kind of a big jump between difficulties, huh?
Sounds like you've taught yourself to be too aggressive by playing easy.

Don't go for points until you can beat the game, stay low on the bottom, and don't move around much.
The secret to beating normal+higher difficulty levels is knowing not just WHEN to move, but HOW MUCH. Bullets generally come only in 3 types: Those that are aimed at you, those that are aimed "in respect" to you, and those that are aimed at fixed angles and/or random.
Once you have an idea of what kind of bullet each enemy shoots, you can use this knowledge to dodge or move in a way that allows you to (more) easily avoid the bullets that simply moving out of the way.

E.g. in the final section of stage 4 of PCB, right before the last fairy, there is a sequence where 4 sets of 2 fairies drop down on the left and right. The first 2 sets shoot a large number of blue bullets, and the second two sets shoot an even larger number of red bullets. Generally these are very difficult to dodge because o the speed and number of bullets that are shot. However the bullets are aimed at you so by making sure you move in a set pattern you can draw them into a firing pattern that is easy to dodge.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 09:17   Link #82
Nadeor
Asmodeus Saigo (>v<)/

Send a message via MSN to Nadeor
I've recently just started the Touhou series as well
Starting with the Imperishable Nights...Doing fine...I guess XD
Nadeor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 04:24   Link #83
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Installed imperishable night yesterday because it's the first Touhou i've seen. And Mokou's theme is just awesome. Started on Normal and i'm doing actually better than i expected. Of course, i still find myself burning a lot of continues but still... :P
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 07:46   Link #84
Nadeor
Asmodeus Saigo (>v<)/

Lunatic level was supposed to be barely pass-able for ZUN himself
I am still working on Beginners, got killed more times than I've Expected

P.S. Marisa: STARLIGHT BREAKER!...Oops, wrong script XD
Old 2008-07-23, 17:03   Link #85
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

I like using magic team/Marisa solo because I can just spark through the hard spell cards. (Spell bonus T__T)
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 00:26   Link #86
Nadeor
Asmodeus Saigo (>v<)/

I found Reimu's spell the most useful as it can just go chase the enemies and defelect the bullets coming in front of me 360 degress
Marisa learnt that probably from Nanoha XD
Old 2008-07-24, 03:45   Link #87
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
So far I liked ESOD the best, for variety of reasons. Difficulties ZUN set while he is drunk seems to have decreased even on Lunatic, IS THAT A SIGHT? Somehow there isn't much for me to manage in the game anyways but IAMP/SWR is quite fun, well after you played MBACB that is. Lately I been going for a few pacifist runs since someone brought it up in the board. Also started playing MariAri, actually played for 4 hours; got so sick of it, threw my keyboard and now the A key is missing.

Last edited by Izayoi; 2008-07-24 at 16:51. Reason: little typo
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 10:51   Link #88
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

So is nobody excited about SA? I mean, so far, It may be the best touhou game ever, with an awesome scoring system and the bomb system from MoF. Also, bombs are back (and not those circles from MoF...), and Im still waiting for the comeback of a certain someone... Cant wait .
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 08:16   Link #89
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Soulblade View Post
So is nobody excited about SA? I mean, so far, It may be the best touhou game ever, with an awesome scoring system and the bomb system from MoF. Also, bombs are back (and not those circles from MoF...), and Im still waiting for the comeback of a certain someone... Cant wait .
Yeah, it'll be nice. Let's hope there aren't any major bugs like MarisaBORKED in MoF .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 01:12   Link #90
Magedark

SA was ok for me. I hate the second mini boss though. Reminds me of the Great Fairy in Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil. I thought it of less of a challenge with not needing max power for the get item line.
Magedark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 13:00   Link #91
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Soulblade View Post
Raises hand. Haven't played the demo though, going to wait until the full release.
Old 2008-08-17, 00:22   Link #92
Clarste
Human

Bumping for full release of Subterranean Animism. Two words: nuclear youkai.

Apparently ZUN slipped up and made the difficulty levels too hard this time. Easy is Normal, Normal is Hard, Hard is Lunatic, and Lunatic is... well... hmm.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 02:37   Link #93
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Going at this pace, what's the next final boss? Manipulator of everything?
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 09:48   Link #94
Makku
Suredeath Hellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Easy is Normal, Normal is Hard, Hard is Lunatic, and Lunatic is... well... hmm.
Not really, the only difficulty that's considerably harder than it should be is Normal, and Hard and Lunatic are just slightly more difficult than usual. I beat Easy on my first try, which is a first, but I can still only get half-way through stage five on Normal without continues and bomb spamming.

Spoiler for characters:

Last edited by Makku; 2008-08-17 at 10:23.
Makku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 10:44   Link #95
ChronoReverse

Reimu says, "STOP MAKING MORE WORK FOR ME."

Poor miko.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 12:25   Link #96
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Reimu says, "STOP MAKING MORE WORK FOR ME."

Poor miko.

More work, she said? No wonder.
Lolz.
Old 2009-03-15, 00:41   Link #97
Clarste
Human

Well, the demo for the next game is out (for about a week). I'm ashamed that I didn't notice until now. Titled 東方星蓮船 Undefined Fantastic Object, so I guess we'll call it UFO. The pun seems to be intentional.

The gameplay has been revamped again. Bombs went back the old system, so you get a certain number of bombs per life, plus whatever you can find, and using them doesn't affect your shot power. Power is still listed as a decimal though, instead of going up to 128. You lose a lot of power when you die, and its much harder to get back than in MoF or SA.

Most notable is the new UFO system, which is the only way to get lives or extra bombs (enemies never drop them anymore, and you can't get them from score either). Basically you collect UFOs to summon a big UFO which absorbs point items and spits out partial lives or bombs or more UFOs or whatever, depending on the color. Very weird, but if you plan it right you can get absurd numbers of lives or bombs really fast.

In the end though, the most important thing about this game is that there are now even more character for the fan artists and music for the fan remixes. Oh, and Sanae is playable, which makes her attendance 3/3 since her introduction.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 02:05   Link #98
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
I think the one thing that'll keep me from going back to 12 as it stands is the complete lack of variety in the levels. The entire demo is basically exactly the same one.

The UFO system is pretty cool though, and it's nice to have master spark back.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-25, 16:51   Link #99
herbert

Just achieved my highest score run of normal difficulty on Final A of IN (Touhou 8). The refresh rate is set on 1/2, so ftp stays around 120.

Normal - Magic team
Herbert - 1.342.645.460 - Ca - 0.000% - Replay
Old 2009-05-26, 07:46   Link #100
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

I've found the games around a month ago, and I think these are one of the best games I've played in my life (and I'm playing since I was 5). I like it's difficulty. No fake difficulty, totally fair game, yet it's still hard. (And of course the music and characters, like for everyone else.)

I started with the PC-98 ones, but I quickly moved to the Windows games. First EoSD, I've failed miserably. Then tried PCB and IN, they were easier, and beated those on Easy. Then I moved back to EoSD Normal (never tried Easy, because of the missing end), and after 1 and a half weeks training, I finally managed to beat it. After a week I almost did Flan, but I got tired with her. Then tried PCB and IN Normal, and wow, those were a piece of cake now (still can't beat the extra stages though.)

PoFV is only fun in multiplayer, along with the fighting games. MoF is beautiful, but of course the lack of bombs and good characters, and overall harder levels made me to hate it.
Despite the difficulty, I really like SA. I could only beat easy, but I love it, especially the music and the whole "journey to the strange and unknown" mood. And Lullaby of a Deserted Hell, what is beautiful, my favorite Touhou BGM. I think it's my favorite game.

I dunno about UFO. The levels look the same, gameplay is like the older games, music is okay. I'm waiting for the full version, who knows what it'll have.

MegaMari is hard, I'm playing it now. And CtC is awesome, especially the second Reimu theme (G Free - Ultimate Dream, I think). I'm also experiencing with Danmakufu, it's kinda fun.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote