Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-21, 17:43   Link #821
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin X View Post
As for James Arnold Taylor voicing North Italy, I am highly aware that the chances are very slim. This is mostly have to do with labor union issues. However, I do see Hetalia as an opportunity for Mr. Taylor to demonstrate his voice acting flexibility (he could voice Chibitalia and North Italy together). I find flexibility to be very important when it comes to anime voice acting.
Actually, when it comes to my pick to play North Italy, I'm also focusing on someone who could play both him as an adult and as Chibitalia (and the idea that I have is very much capable of doing a young boy's voice).
Old 2010-01-22, 00:17   Link #822
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
I'm also focusing on someone who could play both him as an adult and as Chibitalia (and the idea that I have is very much capable of doing a young boy's voice).
Ah, that's where the flexibility part comes in. James Arnold Taylor have a wide variety of voice range that he capable of voicing North Italy, both adult and child. As this clip shows, his voice range is quite wide. However, I do admit the chances are very slim, mainly due to the labor union issues. Unless if there is a voice actor that is as flexible as Mr. Taylor to voice North Italy, you can PM me or post in this thread.

Anyways, here is the rest of the cast of the main characters I've thought up (didn't include China because I can't think of a good voice actor for this character):

Japan- Yuri Lowenthal
Germany- Doug Erholtz or Travis Willingham

America- Johnny Yong Bosch
England- Crispin Freeman
Russia- Steve Blum
France- Spike Spencer

If you have any questions about why I chose the voice actors for each characters, you can PM me.
Dark Paladin X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 11:35   Link #823
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Japan- Yuri Lowenthal
Thats funny since I totally thought of him for Japan as well

I could see Crispin Freeman doing Italy as well.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 12:46   Link #824
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Erm...I only know like 3 american voice actor/actress, so I won't comment on them.

Russia's character single reached 6th on the oricon chart on its first day. 3rd on second day and 2nd on third day. The single sold the best on the 2nd day with 6.8k of sales (first day it is >6.k and 3k on 3rd day). I would estimate that the single sold about 14k by now, it probably can break 20k by the end of the week. I do hope Russia does as well as France-nii-chan .
Old 2010-01-31, 23:55   Link #825
Dark Paladin X

I think a lot of people would agree with my idea of having Crispin Freeman voicing England. Freeman's voice acting is "deep" enough for a British accent.

And I'm still waiting for TnAdct1's response on who should voice North Italy instead of James Arnold Taylor for the dub.
Old 2010-02-01, 18:05   Link #826
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
And I'm still waiting for TnAdct1's response on who should voice North Italy instead of James Arnold Taylor for the dub.
My current ideal pick for who should play Northern Italy: Greg Ayres.

Among the main reasons for this choice (besides the fact that Greg is a regular at Funimation):

1. Northern Italy is a very youthful character, something that Greg Ayres can pull off rather easily (given how he plays the role of Son Goku in the ADV dub of Saiyuki).

2. Along with Italy as an adult, I was also thinking about having the same voice actor voice him as a child (Chibitalia), and as someone who frequents the Negima section of this board, I'm well aware of Greg's portrayal of Negi-sensei (with him giving him the touch of cuteness that I like about him).

3. I thought it would be a cool idea to have him voice North Italy while his brother, Chris, voices Southern Italy.
Old 2010-02-01, 22:53   Link #827
Dark Paladin X

Quote:

Among the main reasons for this choice (besides the fact that Greg is a regular at Funimation):

1. Northern Italy is a very youthful character, something that Greg Ayres can pull off rather easily (given how he plays the role of Son Goku in the ADV dub of Saiyuki).

2. Along with Italy as an adult, I was also thinking about having the same voice actor voice him as a child (Chibitalia), and as someone who frequents the Negima section of this board, I'm well aware of Greg's portrayal of Negi-sensei (with him giving him the touch of cuteness that I like about him).

3. I thought it would be a cool idea to have him voice North Italy while his brother, Chris, voices Southern Italy.
You did made a few points, but what are your thoughts of having Crispin Freeman voicing England and Johnny Yong Bosch voicing America? Unless if you can come up with the Texan equivalent that are capable of voicing both characters.
Old 2010-02-02, 17:19   Link #828
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
You did made a few points, but what are your thoughts of having Crispin Freeman voicing England and Johnny Yong Bosch voicing America? Unless if you can come up with the Texan equivalent that are capable of voicing both characters.
At the moment, I haven't thought of any Texas-based voice that could voice England and America (although I have a few ideas for some of the supporting countries).

As for your current ideas of America and England, Johnny Yong Bosch does seem to make a perfect America, and given how Bosch did get involved in a couple of Funimation dubs (FMA, Beck), it does seem possible.

As for Crispin Freeman, it may be a little bit trickier to see him as England since he is pretty much unable to work in non-union dubs. However, when you consider all the effort that was put to have him reprise the role of Zelgadis in all the Slayers follow-ups that feature him, it is still possible, but more of a longshot.

Besides, Funimation was able to get Stephanie Sheh to work on Strike Witches, so it may be possible that they could get some LA talent to work on Hetalia (although I'm still thinking of Texas-based ideas in order to be safe).
Old 2010-02-03, 10:57   Link #829
killersaint
FMPtard

Quote:

ugh... i can't imagine it.
well, i CAN, but i'd prefer he didn't.

i like Greg, but not as the main character. his voice would grate on me after a while. At least in the "geeky teenager" voice he usually uses.

As for Chris, i've only heard his voice in dignified roles, so i can't at all imagine him as a screaming tsundere. in fact, it's cracking me up to try to imagine Wraith from FMP shouting "stupid Spain!!!"
heh heh.

this is hard... i'm more familiar with Japanese seiyuus and western cartoon voice actors than i am with American VAs.
killersaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 16:56   Link #830
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Here's a few more bits of casting ideas that I have so far when it comes to the English dub of Hetalia (keeping in mind that this is being done by a Texas-based company):

Luci Christian - Sealand
Colleen Clickenbeard - Hungary
Todd Haberkorn - America
Vic Mignogna - Switzerland
J. Michael Tatum - Japan or Austria
Maxey Whitehead - Liechtenstein
Travis Willingham - Russia

BTW, as many FMA fans may notice, three of my ideas seem to parallel the Japanese cast of Hetalia and the characters they play on FMA (both the original series and Brotherhood). Two of the ideas were intentional, while the third one is a coincidence.
Old 2010-02-03, 22:04   Link #831
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Here's a few more bits of casting ideas that I have so far when it comes to the English dub of Hetalia (keeping in mind that this is being done by a Texas-based company):

Luci Christian - Sealand
Todd Haberkorn - America

BTW, as many FMA fans may notice, three of my ideas seem to parallel the Japanese cast of Hetalia and the characters they play on FMA (both the original series and Brotherhood). Two of the ideas were intentional, while the third one is a coincidence.
Lol, you and hinakatbklyn seem to have easier time coming up with voice actors from Texas than me. Do you really think that Todd Haberkorn is the closest Texan equivalent to Johnny Yong Bosch?

Also, Yuri Lowenthal's roles on Suzaku from Code Geass and Sasuke from Naruto, roles that are not kid hero roles is the main reason why I want him to voice Japan. I hope you'd agree with me in this.

P.S. I think Spike Spencer is capable of pulling off a French accent, which is why I want him to voice France.

Last edited by Dark Paladin X; 2010-02-03 at 22:24.
Old 2010-02-04, 10:07   Link #832
killersaint
FMPtard

Quote:

Luci Christian - Sealand
Todd Haberkorn - America

heh heh... i can certainly see some of this... although i think i'd prefer a slightly deeper voice for Sealand (make him sound like he's not five). I think Vic might be better suited for France (God knows he got enough practice with Tamaki and Kurz and i simply can't believe he couldn't do a French accent).

I just realized that i have no idea how i think Russia should sound.
killersaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 18:01   Link #833
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Lol, you and hinakatbklyn seem to have easier time coming up with voice actors from Texas than me. Do you really think that Todd Haberkorn is the closest Texan equivalent to Johnny Yong Bosch?
Given how his roles include Firo in Baccano and Death the Kid in Soul Eater, I could see Todd Haberkorn being a close Texas equivalent to Bosch if he doesn't appear in Hetalia.

As for having an easier time coming up with Texas actors, it has a lot to do with:

1. Watching a number of Funimation titles dubbed (either on Adult Swim or on DVD);

2. Being a vetran of the "Cast Guessing" contests that ADV had on the Anime On DVD message boards before the betrayal by Sojitz.
Old 2010-02-14, 19:51   Link #834
yoropa
Director

Hey so I'm new here and this series seems interesting, but I know little to nothing about it beyond the fact that it involves personified countries. What do I need to know before delving into it?
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 20:29   Link #835
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
Hey so I'm new here and this series seems interesting, but I know little to nothing about it beyond the fact that it involves personified countries. What do I need to know before delving into it?
It helps if you're familiar with history and stereotypes (like, Americans are completely self centered and Italians love pasta more than anything else) but you can really pick it up as you go along. So you can pretty much just dive into it.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 20:32   Link #836
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Ugh, I'm so sorry. These kinds of posts are really annoying, but does anybody remember what episode this gif is from?
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 23:58   Link #837
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
Ugh, I'm so sorry. These kinds of posts are really annoying, but does anybody remember what episode this gif is from?
Lots o.0. You can probably find several occasions where he goes blue like that from the first and second DVD, with very slight variations.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 01:09   Link #838
yoropa
Director

Well I just started watching it. Only three episodes in (been busy) and I gotta say Russia's comment in episode 1 about

Spoiler:

was dang hilarious, especially since I know both Russians and Lithuanians. I'll definitely continue with this series. Luckily the episodes are short so I can easily catch up.
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 12:58   Link #839
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
It definitely deals with stereotypes but it also deals with real life events that took place in the said countries. Also there is hints of slash

Im kinda behind but have any more Maru Kaite Chikyuu's come out since Switzerland and....umm...crud I dont remember the other one paired with it
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 14:29   Link #840
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

There's Lithuania and Poland this month that comes along with volume 7, Feb 25. Only Russia's character single was released last month and ranked 4th on the Oricon weekly chart, with 21,004 copies sold (similar sales to Japan, France and America).

It feels like absolutely forever with no episodes out

Tags
comedy