Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-11, 09:21   Link #1
S.t inFAMOUS

Mystery Animes

Hi
I'm kinda new to this forum and i haven't seen many animes but i really enjoyed animes like Monster and Mushi-shi. So is there anyone who can recommend some other good Mystery animes?

Nothing amazing ever happens here

Last edited by S.t inFAMOUS; 2010-07-11 at 09:35.
Old 2010-07-11, 09:38   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

If you like a bit of a dark atmosphere added to your mystery, then you should check out Shiki. The show just started to air last week.

Mononoke is an excellent choice for a mystery show, and i'm sure it won't be long before Ghost Hunt is mentioned. I haven't seen it myself, though i've heard nothing but good things about it, and plan to watch it very soon.
Old 2010-07-11, 09:39   Link #3
JRendell
Manga Addict

Umineko no Nako Koro ni and it's Higurashi predecessor, are excellent mystery anime, which also contain themes of Psychological, supernatural and horror.

There's also Higashi no Eden, of which I personally enjoyed alot. Rather than supernatural and horror, this has themes of Sci-Fi, Romance, Drama and Action.

Other enjoyable mystery anime are;

- ChäoS;HEAd
- Shingetsutan Tsukihime

Also, check out these threads. They are about the same sort of topic;

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=95106
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=28196
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=93863
Old 2010-07-11, 10:01   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

My favourite mystery would have to be Kara no Kyoukai. I recommend it.
Old 2010-07-11, 11:12   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ghost Hound. Good spooky atmosphere, wonderful characters and really keeps you guessing till the end.
Old 2010-07-11, 15:38   Link #6
signorRossi

Strongly second 'Mononoke' (which is in my top 3 of anime series, btw ).
Just don't forget to watch the last arc of 'Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror Stories' first, as it is the first story 'starring' the 'medicine seller'.
Old 2010-07-11, 16:39   Link #7
S.t inFAMOUS

Thanks for the suggestions
Regarding Mononoke: is it a sequel to Ayakashi? which one I should watch first and is it english dubbed?

Nothing amazing ever happens here
Old 2010-07-11, 16:49   Link #8
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.t inFAMOUS View Post
Regarding Mononoke: is it a sequel to Ayakashi? which one I should watch first and is it english dubbed?
Mononoke is a spin-off to one of the stories from Ayakashi, so it really doesn't matter which order you watch them in.
Old 2010-07-11, 16:51   Link #9
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.t inFAMOUS View Post
Thanks for the suggestions
It is a sequel to Bakeneko which was the final arc of Ayakashi. So watch it first which there should be a dub for since it was licensed by Geneon. Mononoke has yet to be licensed so no dub for it but for me Sakurai Takahiro best role was as Medicine Seller in the series.
Edit: Shiroth is right it doesnt matter what order you watch it in but considering characters from Bakeneko show up in Mononoke itd be better to watch Bakeneko first.

Also 2nd Ghost Hunt. Just dont judge it based on the first arc, gets much better after epi 3.

Ayatsuri Sakon - great mystery arc based anime.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-07-11, 17:19   Link #10
Divini
Senpai!

Try Spiral - Suiri no Kizuna
and then there's the ever ongoing Detective Conan
Old 2010-07-11, 17:59   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Shion no Ou includes a murder mystery while telling the story of a young girl who develops as a Shougi ("Japanese chess") player.

Nijuu Mensou no Musume ("Daughter of Twenty Faces") concerns a young heiress who is kidnapped by a mysterious master thief.

In Mouryou no Hako, a teen-aged girl is pushed in front of an oncoming train. Uncovering her attacker exposes a dark and sinister plot which may, or may not, have supernatural overtones.

Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo tells the story of a woman who heads the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo police. More episodic and less convincing than the others, but worth watching for the performances by the leads.

The mysterious death of a young girl lies at the heart of Dennou Coil, but that's just a small part of this remarkable show.

All of these shows are unlicensed and available only as fansubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
It is a sequel to Bakeneko which was the final arc of Ayakashi. So watch it first which there should be a dub for since it was licensed by Geneon.
The DVD release of Bakeneko costs a mere $7 at RightStuf and is the best anime bargain I know of. They have fewer than 300 copies left, and I doubt any more will ever be pressed.
Old 2010-07-11, 18:13   Link #12
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Shion no Ou includes a murder mystery while telling the story of a young girl who develops as a Shougi ("Japanese chess") player.

Nijuu Mensou no Musume ("Daughter of Twenty Faces") concerns a young heiress who is kidnapped by mysterious master thief.

In Mouryou no Hako, a teen-aged girl is pushed in front of an oncoming train. Uncovering her attacker exposes a dark and sinister plot which may, or may not, have supernatural overtones.
Will also recommend all three of these titles. Especially Mouryou no Hako, which is one of the best mystery anime i've ever come across.

There's also Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro which is quite the gem of the series. About half of the series is of a episodic nature, where the main characters solve mysteries, until the a much bigger plot starts to kick in. I highly recommend it, and the original manga.
Old 2010-07-11, 20:06   Link #13
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:

Mother of pearl who did I forget that one!!! This is a must watch!
Quote:
The DVD release of Bakeneko costs a mere $7 at RightStuf and is the best anime bargain I know of. They have fewer than 300 copies left, and I doubt any more will ever be pressed.
$7??? I so need to get my hands on that then!
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-07-12, 00:31   Link #14
Ansalem
Speaker

This thread is filled with a ton of great suggestions already. I strongly second Mononoke, Dennou Coil, and Higashi no Eden, and most of the other shows mentioned here that I've seen would be good additions as well. I'll just mention one additional show that hasn't been brought up so far.

I'd try out Natsume Yuujinchou. It's a little less mysterious than Mushishi, but certainly gives a similar relaxing and intriguing experience. The main character is a high school student who has inherited from his grandmother a special book along with the ability to see youkai. The show is fairly episodic in nature as Natsume meets and interacts with various different spirits.
Old 2010-07-21, 14:44   Link #15
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Pandora Hearts. The first 1-2 episodes aren't that great but it gets much better later on in the comedy/fantasy/mystery department.

Higurashi and Umineko are very good if you can stomach a lot of blood.
Old 2010-07-21, 17:12   Link #16
Nightt
☠ Lord of the Things ☠
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Nightt
House of Five Leaves - All the "gang" members have a mystery behind them, and the whole anime has a mystery feeling to it.

Ghost Hunt - Pretty obvious from the title. They hunt for ghosts, which in turn are mysteries themselves.

Gankutsuou - A random man befriends another guy. And, he has motives behind that friendship. The other guy has to find out his motive, and the true identity of the man.

And, finally, one you've already probably watched, Death Note. If you haven't, then do it now! It's mystery at it's utmost limits!
Old 2010-07-21, 17:27   Link #17
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightt View Post
And, finally, one you've already probably watched, Death Note. If you haven't, then do it now! It's mystery at it's utmost limits!
Yeah i second this. Death Note truly is a must watch for mystery fans.
Old 2010-07-21, 18:31   Link #18
Mafuyu
Disabled By Request

Quote:

Nijuu Mensou no Musume ("Daughter of Twenty Faces") concerns a young heiress who is kidnapped by a mysterious master thief.

Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo tells the story of a woman who heads the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo police. More episodic and less convincing than the others, but worth watching for the performances by the leads.

The mysterious death of a young girl lies at the heart of Dennou Coil, but that's just a small part of this remarkable show.

All of these shows are unlicensed and available only as fansubs.

My god... how have I not seen any of these save for one? I thank you for this list, though this is not my suggestion thread I shall be looking into all of these!
Old 2010-07-21, 20:40   Link #19
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

I would also add:
  • xxxHOLIC--Episodic series, supernaturalm, mystery, also has a second season, movie, and a couple specials.
  • Haibane Renmei--"A dream of falling from the sky...and then birth. Rakka is born from a large cocoon into the Old Home, greeted by a group of females with small wings on their backs and shining halos above their heads."
  • Shigofumi--Final messages sent from the dead to the living, delivered by mail carriers such as the main character Fumika.
  • Mermaid Forest

Ones previously mentioned that I support:
  • Mononoke
  • Ghost Hunt
  • Ghost Hound
  • Gankutsuou
  • Natsume Yuujinchou (and its sequel Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou)
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (and its sequel)
  • Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
  • Kara no Kyoukai
  • Shion no Ou--Good story, though animation is sketchy throughout some episodes
  • Dennou Coil

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Closed Thread