AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-08, 16:04   Link #81
Aidan
Am I bad? Yes... Very X(

My-Otome fanservice is... well it doesn't really add that much value for me, it kinda leaves me cold.

So, what made me watch Hime? For me it was the breakneck action in the first episode that got me interested, the show had some parts I liked it had some parts that I didn't like. What got me through was Mai, I really liked her character up to some point. What got me into Otome was miss Anty, all the unanswered questions keep me interested. I guess I'll like the show until we have every Otome trying to bust out the brains of their best friends.
Old 2006-01-08, 16:51   Link #82
lana3007
stuck-up feminist

When I originally came across Mai HiME I was amazed at how it could be possible that it's so popular. Most of the time stories with female main characters (actually almost the entire cast is female) don't get any attention from guys and hense fail misrably, yet Mai HiME manages to get as much if not more attention from the guys as from the girls. Personally I think it has something to do with hot girls (well for the guys anyway), good balance of comedy and action, well developed characters, good animation and intriguing story.

I also get something of a sadistic satisfaction out of watching a series where all the guys are useless while the girls kick butt, when most serieses I watch are usually the other way around.
Old 2006-01-08, 16:56   Link #83
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana3007
I also get something of a sadistic satisfaction out of watching a series where all the guys are useless while the girls kick butt, when most serieses I watch are usually the other way around.
LOL...that's how I kinda feel myself when watching the show. It's a nice empowering feeling for females.

It gets tiring when women labeled as the victim. This series was refreshingly unconventional...at least for me.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-01-08, 17:37   Link #84
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Ah...female empowerment...lovely thing it is...

With all the women having access to all the 'good stuff', I suppose it's forcing the guys to become smarter - and that ain't easy. ^^; For that, I must bow to Sergay, Nagi, Rad, and Takumi for keeping us males in the running for cool characters in Otome
Old 2006-01-08, 18:30   Link #85
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
When I originally came across Mai HiME I was amazed at how it could be possible that it's so popular. Most of the time stories with female main characters (actually almost the entire cast is female) don't get any attention from guys and hense fail misrably
I am not too sure about that. For instance Bee Train (Noir, Madlax, you can check them out since you said you enjoy girls kicking butts ) is notorious for having mainly female characters in their animes but from what I have seen most of the fans of their series are male.
And obviously the fact that there are many MH fans has to do with the abundance of hot female characters which helped to keep the viewers' attention alive until the serious part of the show.
Old 2006-01-08, 22:25   Link #86
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana3007
Most of the time stories with female main characters (actually almost the entire cast is female) don't get any attention from guys and hense fail misrably
Maybe in the west, but its another matter in anime. My rule of thumb usually goes that if there's an abundance of one sex in an anime, it's probably aimed at the opposite sex. There's countless harem animes as an example. MariaMite, Ichigo Mashimaro, and Gokujo Seitokai are examples with female main characters or all female casts, and yet a lot of men watch them. And that's assuming they aren't the majority of the viewers.

Heck, even shows like Gundam Wing that was intended for males and Sailor Moon intended for females has a very big following of the opposite sex. In fact, I can't recall an anime in which there was an abundance of one sex and yet it wasn't popular with the other.
Old 2006-01-08, 23:22   Link #87
GaboolRaider

I have a short list: Bleach Mai HiME/Otome~ lol and Naruto kinda lost it for me...

But yea Mai HiME was pretty good... an anime I could really watch and talk to girls with

The only real reason I'm hooked on Mai Otome is I wanna know what happened to Mai... which was kinda explained in eps 13, plus I'm a fan of Natsuki

Did anyone else other than me say: The girl at the last eps of Mai HiME is probably the main character in Mai Otome?
Old 2006-01-09, 00:01   Link #88
gameoffreak8

Well...Mai-Otome and Mai-HiMe is awesome. Mai-HiMe is my favorite anime becuase of character, plot, and battles... I will watch Mai-Otome...
Old 2006-01-09, 00:30   Link #89
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

いや、完璧に舞-HiME/舞-乙HiMEって男性向けだろうがよ・・・。

You have SUNRISE doing an anime that incorporates both moe! and moe~.

You have Kurinoko singing the OP song to both Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome. She's even a seiyuu in the latter.

Mai Mai. Yukarin. Mami Mami. Oneechan. Shimizu Ai. Iwao Junko. Nokawa Sakura. Nanri Yuuka. Yukana. Shintani Ryoko...the list goes on. Tell me, with such a seiyuu cast, and this ain't a male otaku centric anime?

Scenes and plots that are made to tingle at hardcore male ero/bishoujo game playing kimo otas' hearts.

The main target of this show? Men like me - who will go out and shell out extreme cash for limited edition merchandise, DVDs, and the like. (approximate estimated usage for merchandise related to the previous show: ~100,000 yen)

How obvious isn't this that it is clearly made to market towards male hard-core otakus?
Old 2006-01-09, 00:48   Link #90
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianocello
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. It's like going to the Shuffle! forum and asking if any guy watches it. Of course, most of the people watching Mai Hime/Otome are guys - it's specificially aimed for guys. That doesn't mean that females don't watch it. A better thread would be ask whether there are any girls watching this show.
Does that mean I can start a thread with "why girls watch My Hime/My Otome?"

I think all others have explained well that this show targets male audience so, yeah, most of the audience are guys. How about hearing from girls who watch this show as in why? And this sub-forum is a little quiet these days.

I think this show has managed to catch significant numbers of female audience, unlike most of male-oriented anime. I don't have the numbers so if I am wrong, someone correct me, please.
Old 2006-01-09, 01:12   Link #91
DeuceTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Scenes and plots that are made to tingle at hardcore male ero/bishoujo game playing kimo otas' hearts.
Behold, he returns... Good to see you, kj1980.

But, uh, what's a "kimo ota"? Kimochi otaku?
Old 2006-01-09, 01:52   Link #92
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceTrick
Behold, he returns... Good to see you, kj1980.

But, uh, what's a "kimo ota"? Kimochi otaku?
I return? I have always been here and there across several threads on this forum.

"Kimochi-warui" abbreviated becomes "kimoi," which is further abbreviated when used with "otaku," = "kimo-ota."
Old 2006-01-09, 02:56   Link #93
DeuceTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I return? I have always been here and there across several threads on this forum.
Oh. I guess I'm just blind.

Quote:
"Kimochi-warui" abbreviated becomes "kimoi," which is further abbreviated when used with "otaku," = "kimo-ota."
*whistles* The Japanese capacity to miniaturize its language never ceases to amaze me.

But this highlights something I find very interesting: in the Japanese animation market, men who have a taste for melodrama and romance are specifically catered to. Of course, all those products are moving across the Pacific and finding an eager audience here, but threads like this one demonstrate that it's still sort of a new experience.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but still. Interesting.
Old 2006-01-10, 01:41   Link #94
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_hair
Well, people say mostly guys watch it because it's true.
It's not really about how many characters of each gender there are, or which ones are main characters, especially when dealing with an older audience. And yes, plenty of guys can think girls can be cool, myself included. Ask any guy who's seen Ghost in the Shell, for a start.

A show with a cast consisting of guys could be one of two types. (Hello simplification).
Are the guys all fighting each other? Probably aimed at boys.
Are the guys all pretty? Probably aimed at girls.

Shows aimed at girls tend to be one of two types (and yes, I'm going to generalise again here), magical girl shows for a younger audience, or a romance.
Romance stories work better with an even mix of characters, rather than a blatant disproportion, which leads to a harem anime. Which, of course, are normally aimed at guys.
So basically anime about cutsey stuff=show for girls, and anime about fighing=show for boys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3athScythe
1. We don't need to view them as role models, we like girls =)
2. whatever the gender, if the plot and graphics are great, male/female
doesn't matter, we'll just watch it =P
Okay, that's true too...

Something makes me wonder anymore why they even put the "Shojo" or "Shonen" labels on anime...
Old 2006-01-10, 01:51   Link #95
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer
So basically anime about cutsey stuff=show for girls, and anime about fighing=show for boys?

Okay, that's true too...

Something makes me wonder anymore why they even put the "Shojo" or "Shonen" labels on anime...

Here are the basic labels:

Kodomo - for children
Shounen - For boys
Shoujo - For girls

(Mature themed)
Seinen - For young adult males
Josei - For young adult females.

Japan just basically puts a label on practically anything. Japan is heavy into organization.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-01-10, 02:57   Link #96
shinigami1101
Its spelled nookyouler XD

Location: Trapped between the real world and a fantasy created by my mind.
Send a message via AIM to shinigami1101
now that i think about it, what probably keeps me hooked on Hime and Otome is the complete LACK of a male lead character. Otome really contrasts to most of the other anime i watch as most of them are male leads (NGE, FMA, Trigun). It really is nice to see an anime that is somewhat about physical combat without a male lead. then again, i still wanted to see nagi beat the crap out of the soldiers that invaded the library in Hime.
Old 2006-01-10, 04:56   Link #97
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf
Here are the basic labels:

Kodomo - for children
Shounen - For boys
Shoujo - For girls

(Mature themed)
Seinen - For young adult males
Josei - For young adult females.

Japan just basically puts a label on practically anything. Japan is heavy into organization.

--Lone Wolf
Sorry, I don't understand moonspeak. Please translate those words for me.
Old 2006-01-10, 05:48   Link #98
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand moonspeak. Please translate those words for me.
It's Nihongo and I already provided a translation right next to it. But I think you already knew that, right.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-01-10, 08:39   Link #99
Eclipze

Well, MH/MO has enough action + fanservice that didnt felt too forced for me to like it.
Old 2006-01-10, 10:38   Link #100
hat_hair

Quote:
Not quite what I meant, and besides, there's plenty of shows that do the opposite of this.
Closed Thread