Is this Death of the Author at work?
Ihaxlikenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 21:40   Link #4022
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaxlikenoob View Post
Is this Death of the Author at work?
Well, if interviews with the author about that specific text are to count in that, I suppose. If he were saying things that are truly "para-text", then I may agree, but here I would argue that he was only further supporting what was already the predominant interpretation of what the epilogue suggests. You're not inferring from culture or context (which is what Death of the Author is mostly talking about), but from the author's own stated opinion at the time. To say the author is "dead" to that extent seems rather extreme (and borders on "selective listening", in my view).
Old 2013-06-27, 22:17   Link #4023
tommythecat
Contrarian S-class

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
You're constructing a bit of a straw man with the alien example; I don't think the author has ever said anything that implies anything that isn't actually written in the text itself. The only thing the interviews point to is the author's intentions with the metaphors and symbolism in the epilogue: that he set Kirino on a good path for the future, and that life counselling relates to their new shared secret. This doesn't really preclude any interpretation of what happens down the road, but it provides a small clue about what the symbolism means.

You can choose to ignore this information, but it's a bit suspect to do so given that it comes directly out of the author's mouth. If you ignore evidence to arrive at your conclusion, it makes your conclusion less convincing to others.
I didn't say I'm ignoring it but it doesn't manifest a clear and concise ending just because he mentions it out of the confines of the novel. He says it's a Kirino end and it's about her happiness. Nothing suggests that her happiness is specifically one thing or another outside of loving her brother and not losing her friends.
tommythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 23:40   Link #4024
VORTIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommythecat View Post
There is a real difference between romantic feelings and preteen sibling infatuation. Romantic feelings of love are pretty much none existent during that phase of life outside of kids liking each other and the only way they know that is expressed is through marriage because they want to be together forever(sound familiar). The elementary school promise of marriage is a pretty common trope in anime.
You're right, pre-teen sibling infatuation is different from actual romantic feelings. It's also true that for 99+% of us, those feelings don't merge into romantic/sexual feelings in our teens. We don't marry our sisters in our teens, either. I think it's silly to blow off the precedent strongly established in the novel end to embrace an idea about the characters that is built entirely on wishful assumption and a lack of evidence to the contrary.

Quote:
Saying there is no evidence to support a tamer relationship going forward for them is pretty disingenuous.
Where's the evidence in the story?
VORTIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 02:30   Link #4025
Drakkar77

I think you're fooling yourself if you don't think everything in this story is possible.

Enough said.

Last edited by Drakkar77; 2013-06-28 at 23:37.
Drakkar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 05:31   Link #4026
Wilshere

The final preview is out, Sakurai gets mentioned, looking forward to it. Oh, and Kirino is still cute.
Old 2013-06-28, 05:36   Link #4027
kentasaiba

Kyousuke will stay with Kirino 4 ever. When he es 40, Kirino will berate and offend him. But Kyousuke is a masochist, there are many such guys who stays with a impulsive wife even they are unlucky with it.
kentasaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 05:43   Link #4028
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshere View Post
The final preview is out, Sakurai gets mentioned, looking forward to it. Oh, and Kirino is still cute.
Just saw the preview. Ooo yesss, definitly a flashback episode. So this is definitly volume 11. But the problem is how will it end? Do we get a cliffhanger ending? Can they animate volume 11 in one episode? Or will they leave the rejection of Sakurai and the Manami part about her not wanting the siblings to be lovers for the ova's?

I hope they animate volume 11 in one episode and keep the 3 ova's only for volume 12. Can't wait to see that animated. Kirinooooooooo, the wedding, kisss oo yesss......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentasaiba View Post
Kyousuke will stay with Kirino 4 ever. When he es 40, Kirino will berate and offend him. But Kyousuke is a masochist, there are many such guys who stays with a impulsive wife even they are unlucky with it.
If it is Kyousuke then he will stay 4 ever with Kirino. If we look at the whole story his patience with Kirino (the situation) is really admirable ahahhaha.

Last edited by Sakuratsuki; 2013-06-28 at 06:31.
Sakuratsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 05:45   Link #4029
tommythecat
Contrarian S-class

Quote:
Is there a youtube link to it? The main site seems to be down.

Edit: nevermind it's working now.
tommythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 11:02   Link #4030
Drakkar77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayid View Post
I think we were discussing here and not insulting people . And no one said that everything in this story is 100% fake.
You didn't miss something; you read too much into what I said, sometimes a message means exactly what is written and has no hidden meanings. People see what they want though, and I cannot fault for them that ^^, it's only human nature after all.

Edit: What I'm say is it might be fiction, but it's not science fiction.

Last edited by Drakkar77; 2013-06-28 at 23:41.
Old 2013-06-28, 11:10   Link #4031
Wilshere

It's happening!!!!
Old 2013-06-28, 11:11   Link #4032
Drakkar77

Quote:
Hmm it seems that I'm miss a critical link. Can you please post it?

Edit: I'm terrible at finding stuff on the Internet.

Last edited by Drakkar77; 2013-06-28 at 23:44.
Old 2013-06-29, 04:31   Link #4033
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkar77 View Post
Hmm it seems that I'm miss a critical link. Can you please post it?

Edit: I'm terrible at finding stuff on the Internet.
You can find the preview at this place:

Spoiler for preview:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkar77 View Post
Thank you very much. *chuckles* Now to go learn Japanese...and get over this feeling like "you ask for it, idiot" *extremely red face*

Edit: Hmmm Google translator works too I guess. Thanks again
You're welcome

Last edited by Sakuratsuki; 2013-06-29 at 18:24.
Old 2013-06-29, 05:00   Link #4034
Drakkar77

Quote:
You can find the preview at this place:

Spoiler for preview:
Thank you very much. *chuckles* Now to go learn Japanese...and get over this feeling like "you ask for it, idiot" *extremely red face*

Edit: Hmmm Google translator works too I guess. Thanks again
Edit: Thank you. Is that a picture of a young Ayase with an eye patch?

Last edited by Drakkar77; 2013-06-29 at 15:30.
Old 2013-06-29, 12:54   Link #4035
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xical View Post
Some news:

Spoiler for vol.12:
The Ayase part that has already been animated. Waiting for chapter 3 of the translation. All in all the Chinese guy has done a good job during his speed translation.
Old 2013-06-30, 06:06   Link #4036
DevG

I have to say that I am completely happy with how the ending played off in volume 12. I think they made the right decision, I cried so much reading this volume that its unreal but I also laughed deeply! It just left me feeling alone after it was done, But I also feel like I finally passed the border that was seperating me from the 3D wall. Just like Kirino had her eroge I had this LN and anime. Once the last 3 episodes comes, I will probably move on for good from this mile stone in my life! Its been a long journey.. LONG LONG journey and I dont regret anything, all those months waiting/late nights reading. Now its finally time to focus on 3D and work hard just like Kirino during my final years of highschool. Realizing how Kyosuke had to say goodbye to everything, Man it really was touching because I will be going through the same thing soon.

Oof, I wont forget these guys.
DevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 14:53   Link #4037
User68604
Disabled By Request

where can i find the light novels online ? translated of course
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 15:01   Link #4038
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
Look for baka tsuki.
Old 2013-06-30, 19:50   Link #4039
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
18th of august is far away. And it's been a long time since I read the light novels. I think I will kill some time by reading it again from volume 1 .

The novels will make you understand the story a lot better. Looking at the anime. They did a great job. But for a better understanding it is important to read the novels.

I see a lot of hate towards manami/kirino. But I think they miss just the important things why it played out that way between them. Besides it is too soon to Judge the anime because it has not ended yet.
Old 2013-06-30, 21:46   Link #4040
finalfury
Incognito

Quote:
18th of august is far away. And it's been a long time since I read the light novels. I think I will kill some time by reading it again from volume 1 .

The novels will make you understand the story a lot better. Looking at the anime. They did a great job. But for a better understanding it is important to read the novels.

I see a lot of hate towards manami/kirino. But I think they miss just the important things why it played out that way between them. Besides it is too soon to Judge the anime because it has not ended yet.
The monologues. Bless the soul, the monologues are completely necessary to understand Kyousuke's character. I believe that the writing of the story is fairly decent, and he doesn't use the obvious cop-outs to end the story which I respect. Despite the valid criticism that the author should write an ending that is received by the fans, I think that the author writing the ending that he wanted enriched the story since he could pour more of his passion into what he was writing. This ain't no masterpiece of a romance novel but it ain't a bad ride i think. will edit later

Tags
comedy, harem, romance, shounen, siblings