2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-10-04, 13:09   Link #41
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Uh, no, he was joking about this Lancer wasn't his Lancer, because this lancer was too handsome.
I think that was the quote next to the Lancer pic, but I was talking about the quote next to the Lancer vs Archer pic.
Old 2014-10-04, 13:24   Link #42
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

F#%K YOU CRUNCHYROLL!!!!!

Look like I can't watch it til I get home T_T
Old 2014-10-04, 13:59   Link #43
HtwoN

This is what called fateful adaption.

Rin is gold.
HtwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 14:01   Link #44
Theminimanx

Dolphins! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Theminimanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 14:01   Link #45
TwilightsCall

Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
I really enjoyed this episode, like really a lot.

Then during the ending credits I remembered that this wasn't actually going to be a whole anime from Rin's perspective, and I was suddenly very sad. It was a lot of fun seeing things from her perspective, and while I know it'll come around again, I have my doubts as to whether Shirou will be the same kind of interesting.

I think Lancer's "powering up" could have been handled a bit better as well, there didn't seem to be any pressure or tension at all. His spear glowed red, alright, but there didn't seem to be any indication that that was really a bad thing...it almost felt like it was a sacrifice for time, but that seems odd to me since if they were really stretched, I feel like they could have got that time back in any number of other ways.

I guess we'll get to wait and see if they do it any differently next week!

@Theminimanx: Oh man I forgot about that until I read your post. I literally laughed out loud when I saw that pop up. Not even the first episode, and already dolphins...
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 14:14   Link #46
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Honestly, if any kind of archaic weapons begins glowing, that should be taken as a bad sign. Especially when you're not the one wielding it.
Old 2014-10-04, 14:15   Link #47
GDB

That was great. I agree with TwilightsCall (your avatar is so similar to GreyZone's I thought he had changed his name) that Lancer's powering up wasn't intense enough. It needed more bass like the VN had.

Rin, as always, is Rin, and awesome.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 14:20   Link #48
mirakura
Arturia X Tamamo is love~

OMG!! EPICNESS AT THE FULLEST. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE! Haha, blushing Rin was hilarious and adorakawaii~
Old 2014-10-04, 14:28   Link #49
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Slow start but I figured that. ARCHER!!! <3

Last part was simply insane. I still prefer how Lancer looked in F/Z
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 14:32   Link #50
ookamigirl

Episode 0

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 14:32   Link #51
jzmagic
flargansbog

The hype train is departing now.
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 14:32   Link #52
Loremaster
He who writes too much.

The prologue kinda has a pacing of it's own separate from the entire story. So I'm not surprise about the slow start. But the reason why they did it would be clear if you read the VN, of course not going to spoil why as you understand in episode one.
Loremaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 14:40   Link #53
mirakura
Arturia X Tamamo is love~

Yeah, after Saber's summoning everything
Spoiler for plot? I have no idea:

@ookamigirl That Avatar is love <3
Old 2014-10-04, 14:51   Link #54
Dr. Dahm
Banned

That was easily the most straightforward and unpretentious Type/Moon series premiere I've seen to date. The cast we see here seems a lot more lively than just about anyone in Fate/Zero was which I definitely dig cause I just remember the first episode of that one being so stiff in just about every way. The music is also atmospheric but not overtly gloomy and just in general it doesn't feel as overtly super deathly serious and like it's going to be beating me over the head with a philosophy on how trying to have something resembling a moral compass can only lead to tragedy and you basically getting your ass handed to you in this conflict.

In particular Rin was so not what I expected. All the other Type/Moon leads I've seen in anime form are just so ice cold and stoic for the most part and I thought she'd be that way too and I'd be bored with her but aside from being a little stubborn she's actually quite lively too. She seems to be in this just for the fun of it but clearly doesn't like to see innocent bystanders get involved and possible hurt and by the end of the episode, hearing how some servants are in preying on people for extra mana to gain an advantage and seeing one of her fellow students (Who I assume is Shirou) injured seems to have put quite a shock in her and left her tired and reklempt at the end of the episode but none the less determined to set things right. To me she's like a flawed hero as opposed to an ice cold the ends justify the means type like Kiritsugu who not only could I see not caring at all about the possibility of collateral damage but like somebody that would cause it if he felt it might give him the slightest advantage. Rin is kind of a refreshing heroine for what I'm used to seeing from Type/Moon to start.

Archer was pretty cool too, though I found it odd how he goes from totally disparaging Rin to swearing absolute allegiance to her in what feels like a matter of hours just because he senses magic potential in her. You'd think someone that seems that prideful and assured of his ability to handle his own affairs would want to see him prove herself to him in action as opposed to just in theory since you can totally have all the potential in the world and still need help simply due to a simple lack of experience. Her burning a command seal on him out of sheer stubborness was kind of amusing and startling too because as I recall those don't exactly come cheap and it's like the equivalent of burning a get out of jail free card in Monopoly when you're not even in jail.

The animation quality was fine, but it doesn't absolutely blow me away like it does for some. To me it just looks like how I'd expect a premiere episode for an obviously big budget action anime too look. The fight between Archer and Lancer kind of reminded me of a fight out of the show Accel World where two higher tier players are going at it in a sparring match that the rest of the cast can't really comprehend and there's lot of choreagraphy, rapid fire stabbing and general craziness in terms of the direction. It's good stuff, but not the movie quality standard setting stuff some people who saw the L.A premiere had me expecting.

Overall though a pretty solid introduction that lacks the obtuseness and stiffness of the other ufoTABLE/Type Moon adaptation premieres and allows the viewer to just jump right in and not feel totally lost. It nicely introduces a few of the principal characters and gets things going and is interesting enough to make me want to check out the next episode even though I'm not sure what to expect really. I don't know if this and the next episode being one hour counts as four episodes or not and we'll only be getting 8 afterward or another twelve to complete a split cour so it'll be interesting to see what the pacing will look like and how this is all going to play out cause you can definitely tell just by the way the scenes are cut that it comes from a VN source and like it could be just about any amount of episodes long.
Dr. Dahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 14:51   Link #55
Unknown Soldier
:D

Why is ufotable so good?

Why does it make me sad when I remember that only the prologue occurs from Rin's perspective?

Where are the Shirou defenders, because I just called them!
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 15:03   Link #56
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dahm View Post
Overall though a pretty solid introduction that lacks the obtuseness and stiffness of the other ufoTABLE/Type Moon adaptation premieres and allows the viewer to just jump right in and not feel totally lost. It nicely introduces a few of the principal characters and gets things going and is interesting enough to make me want to check out the next episode even though I'm not sure what to expect really. I don't know if this and the next episode being one hour counts as four episodes or not and we'll only be getting 8 afterward or another twelve to complete a split cour so it'll be interesting to see what the pacing will look like and how this is all going to play out cause you can definitely tell just by the way the scenes are cut that it comes from a VN source and like it could be just about any amount of episodes long.
Comparing the opening of Fate/Zero to the one of Fate/Stay Night isn't a very good comparison. Fate/Zero assume the reader has already read Fate/Stay Night and that is why it doesn't do a very good job at being very elegant in its info dumping. Fate/Stay Night doesn't have this problem, because it assumes its reader/viewer know nothing yet and will have to be taught everything.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 15:07   Link #57
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

Are the people at UFOtable aliens because they're too amazing to be humans. Episode did not disappoint. It was amazing to get an entire episode from Rin's POV (guess the director ain't a Rin fanboy for nothing). Also i have to echo everyone on the animation being glorious, even though Ransaa!! ''powering up'' didn't feel too intimidating.
Old 2014-10-04, 15:09   Link #58
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

The hype is rising.

Doesn't disappoint

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 15:10   Link #59
Theminimanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Comparing the opening of Fate/Zero to the one of Fate/Stay Night isn't a very good comparison. Fate/Zero assume the reader has already read Fate/Stay Night and that is why it doesn't do a very good job at being very elegant in its info dumping. Fate/Stay Night doesn't have this problem, because it assumes its reader/viewer know nothing yet and will have to be taught everything.
If they assume people have the knowledge from F/SN, why have the infodump in the first place?
Theminimanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 15:12   Link #60
Death Usagi
Banned

total 10/10

Enough said.

This wasn't an ordinary anime. It was a freaking masterpiece movie XD in the form of an anime!

God so much hype!!!
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote