AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-21, 16:15   Link #341
yongshun

At the end of Episode 2 just after the credits that dog that laughed reminded me of Muttley from the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons.

Head or Gut?
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 17:22   Link #342
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, that's the usual solution... but I've done some sketches that make it work out well even if the jaw-ear line isn't covered, you just have to squash the head a little bit and put the ears at the transition line of the skull (where it moves from vertical to horizontal).
Are we talking about using a side mount instead of a top mount here, or am I not following along right?

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 17:48   Link #343
CWW
Lurker

I've noticed there are a few subtle differences between Crunchy's and Ayako's sub, most notably the dog line which is left ambiguous in Crunchy's translation. Weird.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 18:32   Link #344
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I've noticed there are a few subtle differences between Crunchy's and Ayako's sub, most notably the dog line which is left ambiguous in Crunchy's translation. Weird.
No, its not weird.... translation is as much choice of nuance and art. That's why I always recommend people watch at least the first episode or two of all the subs and then choose the group that seems to capture the spirit (or actually translates necessary things like signs, print, or you can hear the dialog saying something remarkably different).

Comedy, puns, proverbs, and implied cultural references are often mishandled if the sub is released without sufficient quality check filters. Speed-subs are especially prone to problems. Sometimes I'll specifically bypass a speed-sub and wait for a slower but more careful release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0
Are we talking about using a side mount instead of a top mount here, or am I not following along right?
Actually, I was trying to describe an "edge mount" (slightly higher than a side mount) for ears. There's a range of about 4-5 inches that works pretty well without it seeming too bizarre. Personally, I'm fine with ears being pretty far from the jaw hinge but that seems to weird out some people.
Old 2010-07-21, 19:00   Link #345
Velsy

I only started watching it and well I didnt like it until the last 20 % of the first episode. Well to say that character made it interesting. Girl with long dark hair and glasses. oh and can you say...... Stalker much ? shes tapped his hole room audioly and visually!. And has an arsonal of real weaponry just stashed in her own room? O_o

Also not to mention the katgirl has *four* ears. I will consider that a screw up if they dont prove it was a genetic mistake/mutate or the result of combining two species.

Donated by Om Nerabdator

Last edited by Velsy; 2010-07-21 at 19:12.
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 19:01   Link #346
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Honestly the human ears don't really weird me out that much (they're covered/occluded by her hair most the time, anyway) but I do like how expressive her cat ears are. A lot of studios just do the occasional ear flick, or move them to listen to one side, but this one goes all out, with flattening them or rotating them to the sides (much like a real cat) to reflect various levels of emotion. It's pretty nicely done...
Old 2010-07-21, 19:13   Link #347
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, I was trying to describe an "edge mount" (slightly higher than a side mount) for ears. There's a range of about 4-5 inches that works pretty well without it seeming too bizarre. Personally, I'm fine with ears being pretty far from the jaw hinge but that seems to weird out some people.
So something like this minus the long hair?
http://moe.imouto.org/post/show/114494/

(I almost used this because it's freaking adorable but decided against it.)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 20:08   Link #348
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Also not to mention the katgirl has *four* ears. I will consider that a screw up if they dont prove it was a genetic mistake/mutate or the result of combining two species.
That's entirely intentional. You just parroted the same thinking as the First Contact Cult. "I can't accept her! She isn't the "right" kind of alien!"

The demand for "realism" is what got the cult members in trouble. Because there is a difference between realism and reality. The author used to do more traditional alien stories, so any "error" in this case is a lampshade hanging.
Old 2010-07-21, 20:29   Link #349
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, I'm not complaining at all about this series.... Outf0x and I can go offline since we're the only ones chatting about it.
Old 2010-07-21, 20:52   Link #350
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
just started watching this series and i have to say at first i was pretty hesitant about starting it becasue i wasnt to sure what it would be like but when i watched the first episode i was plesantly surprised that i quite enjoyed the first two eps.

now i cant wait for the next one.
Old 2010-07-21, 21:23   Link #351
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Found some phtotshops
Spoiler for size:
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 21:59   Link #352
ZeKeR
Superbad

hmmm....... kio's life will be something else nao.....

as:

alien nekomimi girl who is very naive and has OMG killer body
next door neighbor who is aspiring to be an agent of teh government
classmate who is an elite soldier codenamed 'Momiji"
teacher who i dunno has a thing for him and is also a member of a ridiculous named faction

and then.....
a whole shitload of female nekomimi girls arriving on earth.... two of which MIGHT be staying with him....

what could happen?
Old 2010-07-21, 22:24   Link #353
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Which "dog line", the one by Eris when being held captive, or the one by the lady in part C? Anyway if you can post the lines in question here I maybe able to tell which version is literally closer to the original.

But as Vexx has pointed out, translation is an art, not a precision science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
The catgirls are aliens. We are not even sure if they are genetically comparable with the felines on earth. Where is the screw up?

Who knows maybe the monkeys in Catia have four ears too . In your case the Catians will probably just scream screw up at the homo sapiens and leave promptly for another planet. Kio and his merry friends will then live happily thereafter. A great way to cut down the series into a 30-min OVA.

Last edited by Doraneko; 2010-07-21 at 22:47.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-21, 22:58   Link #354
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
hmmm....... kio's life will be something else nao.....

as:

alien nekomimi girl who is very naive and has OMG killer body
next door neighbor who is aspiring to be an agent of teh government
classmate who is an elite soldier codenamed 'Momiji"
teacher who i dunno has a thing for him and is also a member of a ridiculous named faction

and then.....
a whole shitload of female nekomimi girls arriving on earth.... two of which MIGHT be staying with him....

what could happen?
What I want, but won't happen, is the Tenchi Solution.
Aoi/Momiji is my preferred girl. But for entertainment's sake I am all for a harem ending. That would of course, involve playing one's cards REALLY well. Anyway, Kio can't do anything without Kanami knowing. I wonder if she stalks him out of habit these days?
Old 2010-07-22, 00:46   Link #355
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Anyway, Kio can't do anything without Kanami knowing. I wonder if she stalks him out of habit these days?
Manami is in your room watching you fa- *static*

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 00:47   Link #356
kujoe
from head to heel

Something about the whole setup reminds me of Onegai Teacher with more emphasis on action, so I doubt the story would be going towards a Tenchi Solution.

He first needs to have some underlying quality to justify such a resolution, or at the very least a 'good' reason. For example, Tenchi is heir to some intergalactic empire (he's more than that even), whereas Kio is still... Kio.

Forget playing his cards right. He needs to have an awesome hand on his side of the table first.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 01:08   Link #357
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
whereas Kio is still... Kio.
That's for sure. That's one thing a number of viewers have a hard time accepting as of now, that he currently has nothing in particular to tie together all these girls going after him. You are spot on with the Onegai Teacher reference, but even Kei had something "special" about him: his health >__> (hmm, I wonder if I might meet an alien one day since I'm in a similar boat...)

Of course, there's still the "parents" theory, or the his-house-is-on-top-of-a-secret-weapon, or maybe the his-genes-is-one-of-a-kind thing, or.... I better stop there
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 01:47   Link #358
PzIVf3

I got his feeling there might be possible cat fight each other for a one boy.
Spoiler for 3 cat girls:
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 01:51   Link #359
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
I got his feeling there might be possible cat fight each other for a one boy.
Spoiler for 3 cat girls:
i have a feeling those three nekomimi will fight for him.... and that violet haired one is eris sister....
Old 2010-07-22, 02:04   Link #360
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

FYI the novel illustrator who recently posted a drawing of the two shorter catgirls in his blog said he has little chance to draw them. Don't ask me what you can infer from this line.

Tags
comedy, romance, sci-fi, shounen