AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-22, 01:28   Link #1
Xichito

its been almost 7 yrs... any medieval or epic anime?

like gungrave, berserk (medieval), death note, noir, ghost in shell, paranoia agent, bleach, hunter x hunter.... man... i forgot many more.

but not too mecha, not anything with pokemon lookin creatures (tsubasa chronicle). want something serious, mature, action and epic. hope im giving enough detail. thanks bros
Old 2011-04-22, 04:18   Link #2
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
I'm actually looking for some good medieval anime myself. Hmm.. Have you tried The Legend of Legendary Heroes?
Old 2011-04-22, 07:59   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd start by looking at Claymore and maybe Baccano!, though it's set in Prohbition America.

Two stories set in fantasy Asian empires:
Twelve Kingdoms
Seirei no Moribito

You might want to consider following Hyouge Mono, though there's only one two (as of today) subbed episodes at the moment. Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, by the author of Moribito, might also fit. You might try Guin Saga, too, though I thought it went downhill quickly in the second half.

Since your list contains some definitely "non-medieval" items like GitS, I'll suggest Monster as well.
Old 2011-04-22, 08:00   Link #4
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
I'm actually looking for some good medieval anime myself. Hmm.. Have you tried The Legend of Legendary Heroes?
I second this.
Old 2011-04-22, 13:00   Link #5
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Bastard!! counts too
Old 2011-04-22, 17:15   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Moribito is a good choice... but you're giving some mixed signals. Spice&Wolf is medieval, mature (in the real sense of the word), and has *some* violence, but I suspect you're actually looking for something with more violence per minute or something.

Kurozuka has some aspects you may like... both medieval, futuristic, and violent.
Old 2011-04-22, 21:57   Link #7
Xichito

yeh my bad i was oddly picky about it. but thanks fellas, i will c heck out all these suggestions!
Old 2011-04-22, 22:16   Link #8
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

Maybe Utawarerumono? Has a fair amount of action in it.
Old 2011-04-23, 06:21   Link #9
AnimeFangirl

Have you watched Guin Saga? It's the most recent medieval-ish anime I watched. It's a fantasy series so it's not historically accurate, but I believe you'll enjoy it.
Old 2011-04-23, 10:05   Link #10
Mr.Garfield

talk about epic anime...

i'll say Code Geass. i know you said not too much mecha, but this IS epic, mecha or not.
and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. i myself haven't watched this show, but base off the manga alone, i think it SHOULD be epic, go try it yourself.
Old 2011-04-23, 10:42   Link #11
tatenashi

I think Code Geass is the most epic anime i ever watch
Old 2011-04-26, 01:22   Link #12
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Two stories set in fantasy Asian empires:
Twelve Kingdoms
Seirei no Moribito
What?

Not gonna recommend Saiounkoku Monogatari?

Also, house of 5 leaves.

And Katanagatari.

If you consider the 2 titles from sensei fits your description.. These 3 should be include in your watch list as well.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2011-04-27, 15:56   Link #13
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Seconding Moribito because it's basically the same people that made GitS, and it rocks.
Seconding Katanagatari because it's just generally cool.

I'll throw in Toaru Majutsu no Index. It's not as dark and actiony as most of what you listed, but it's a generally superior series with cool fight scenes and a good fast moving plot. Even though the plot has already past 50 episodes. One of the few series where every ep ends with me going, "Hey, no way that was 24 minutes!?! Oh wait, crap...".

One other that may be a bit off mark but might also work well for you is Kaze no Stigma. Bit fantasyish, but it's pretty much action and drama.
Old 2011-04-27, 18:05   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukansa monkey View Post
Seconding Moribito because it's basically the same people that made GitS, and it rocks.
Well I suppose so, if by that you mean they were both produced by Production I.G. They had very different production teams, though. GitS is based on a story by Shirow Masamune and directed by Oshii Mamoru. Moribito is based on a light novel by Uehashi Nahoko and directed by Kamiyama Kenji. I don't see too much overlap in those production teams, either.

I.G did release two more recent shows based on stories by Shirow, Ghost Hound and Real Drive, though the production teams don't overlap with GitS. That's not surprising given that Moribito was released a decade after GitS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Not gonna recommend Saiounkoku Monogatari?
Also, house of 5 leaves.
I thought long and hard about Saiunkoku and decided it wasn't very similar to the shows in the OP's list. I probably had the same feeling about House of Five Leaves. You know I think highly of both shows, but I think there is more "action" in Twelve Kingdoms and Moribito than in either Saiunkoku or Five Leaves.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-04-27 at 19:05.
Old 2011-04-27, 18:44   Link #15
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I agree with House of Fives Leaves, Legend of Legendary Heroes, FMA:Brotherhood and rec Tears To Tiara.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2011-05-03, 08:18   Link #16
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

slayers next if you still haven't seen it. it's a really good anime, good characters/story/comedy/background music. good characters are ESPECIALLLY hard to come by these days especialllllly with the moe crap/harem with the cardboard cut-out flatter than paper characters.
Old 2011-05-03, 09:26   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I suggest giving Hyouge Mono a try. It's set in the Sengoku ("warring states") period in the second half of the 16th century. The protagonist is a vassal of Oda Nobunaga who begins the process of unifying Japan. Many significant historical personages appear in the show.

Only three of the thirty-nine episodes have been released, though, so you're making a commitment that will span the rest of the year.
Old 2011-05-03, 10:11   Link #18
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
If you're a manga reader, I cannot stress enough to read Ubel Blatt. One of the best medival stories I've read in a while since Blade of the Immortal, which I would also recommend(the anime for BotI kinda sucks compared to the manga). If you like Berserk, those two will be right up your alley .
Old 2011-05-03, 15:44   Link #19
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Well I suppose so, if by that you mean they were both produced by Production I.G. They had very different production teams, though. GitS is based on a story by Shirow Masamune and directed by Oshii Mamoru. Moribito is based on a light novel by Uehashi Nahoko and directed by Kamiyama Kenji. I don't see too much overlap in those production teams, either.
Yer referring to the movies. I was thinking more about the TV series, SAC. More overlap there I would think, as the timeframe is pretty similar. In any case I didn't actually look at the production staff per se, but watching the two shows side by side it seems quite clear that they're artistically similar. Character design, action sequence directing, etc. So I think if you really liked one of those shows, you should watch the other one. (I totally agree that the stuff directed by Oshii is going to be a bit different. The man leaves a distinct stamp).
Closed Thread