AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-11, 10:29   Link #181
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooFarm View Post
<.< Just saying, he NEEDS to learn how to fight. Manga has the potential to do that, anime? LOL you got screwed and as a result became haterized.
He learns how to fight? He can become the best warrior in the world but he's going to be an ant anyway to an awaken being, let alone to the Abyssal Ones and Priscilla... do they see him as a microbe at least?
Old 2007-09-11, 13:46   Link #182
Hamstadini
Raki/Claire fan

Psh. With Isley as his mentor...?
Old 2007-09-11, 14:52   Link #183
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSide Hero View Post
Yes he should; he's an unbelievably ordinary kid in an extraordinary world; quite frankly he is simply boring. I've seen his character arc to many times in other stories where the main hero is female.
..and to answer your question before you ask; I hate Isley too. I feel he was made male just to remind readers who still in charge.
Well, Riful was female. Pretty much all the Claymores are female. What's your point?

I personally like Isley, since I feel he's one of the few "noble" characters in the anime. Clare is motivated by little more than revenge and survival. Most Claymores have interpersonal maladjustments of some sort. Isley is actually probably one of the few characters motivated to protect AB's as his subjects. Oddly enough, he's the pinnacle of sanity compared to most characters.

Oh sure, he does sacrifice other humans like cattle and the three "scouts." But in all, he's not much worse than the Organization, a bunch of testosterone-laden girls or any other human king. He's probably just trying to find land to feed his subjects as a result of some rational decision.
Old 2007-09-11, 15:23   Link #184
DazarGaidin
There there, Maggie-chan

Here is a question for you. What makes Raki so especially delicious to yoma? Since the beginning of the series they have called him especially delicious to the point they can't control themselves, pretty much every one he encounters. I wonder if the more goody or pure a human is the tastier his/her guts?
Old 2007-09-11, 18:45   Link #185
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

I can answer it?

Maybe because Raki is the only food avaliable on mentioned scenes.
Old 2007-09-11, 21:49   Link #186
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazarGaidin View Post
Here is a question for you. What makes Raki so especially delicious to yoma? Since the beginning of the series they have called him especially delicious to the point they can't control themselves, pretty much every one he encounters. I wonder if the more goody or pure a human is the tastier his/her guts?
Old 2007-09-12, 00:46   Link #187
Hamstadini
Raki/Claire fan

More like Axe is based off of Raki...
Old 2007-09-12, 06:18   Link #188
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamstadini View Post
Psh. With Isley as his mentor...?
He'll still be a human and limited by human strength which is inferior to a Claymore.
Old 2007-09-12, 06:57   Link #189
DazarGaidin
There there, Maggie-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyelys View Post
I can answer it?

Maybe because Raki is the only food avaliable on mentioned scenes.
Nah, the one in his town had plenty of other ones around. hmm the cathedral one..not sure if he was droolin over him but he did come out of hiding to snack him despite the danger They also go out of their way to mention how especially delicious he seems.

Last edited by DazarGaidin; 2007-09-12 at 07:11.
Old 2007-09-12, 08:38   Link #190
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to PGilis
That makes me wonder - during the time they were traveling together - what Clare did to Raki off-screen for him to become so tasty. Probably something involving a pot of honey...

Old 2007-09-12, 08:44   Link #191
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Fed him well? In the middle ages, famine wasn't uncommon. Raki, OTOH, benefited from a steady diet of meat and exercise (all that walking from town to town).
Old 2007-09-12, 09:01   Link #192
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku

Y-yeah, yeah. Exacty. That's what i mean. And with lots of honey... because it's good for his health.
Old 2007-09-12, 12:36   Link #193
Hamstadini
Raki/Claire fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
He'll still be a human and limited by human strength which is inferior to a Claymore.
Psh. Wherever I go and talk about Raki, I'm always met with him and his human limitations and how "he'd be s much cooler if he was half-yoma."

Lemme tell you something about human limitations. They are meant to be broken. Bonds hits his 755th home run. Football players can throw half a football field and more. Runners can hit a mile in four minutes or less. A woman lifts a car to save her baby. That's human potential. Imagine what that could do, tapped and trained? That's what Isley can do to Raki.

And keep in mind that those are real-world examples. This is manga we're talking about, where physics are questionable, people can come back from the dead and continuity can be tampered with.

And fighting against Claymores? A cinch, if everyone in the Organization is taught Teresa's "I'll hold out my hands like they're begging to be cut" sword stance. He's not a yoma, so no yoki can be sensed. So long as he has the skill to exploit weak guards, he can win against them.

Yoma? He'll have to rely more on his surroundings and traps (my favorite suggestion - spring-loaded blades hidden in his shoes and sleeves) but it can be done with stock-thug yoma. Awakened beings he might have to rely on Priscilla or Isley for help, but who knows?

Spoiler for Manga:

Don't talk to me about human limitations. Not in real life, and certainly not in manga.
Old 2007-09-12, 13:34   Link #194
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

A mile in four minutes? Clare, weakest of all Claymores, can probably do it in thirty seconds. While carrying in big sword and some armor.

There are strict physical limits to how much a human body can do. Unless he develops technologies and tactics rather beyond what we've seen in the Claymore-verse, there's nothing he can do against the magical beings known as yomas, Claymore, and Awakened Beings.

Spring loaded blades in his shoes? For him to be able to walk, those blades will have to be short and light. Meaning they might not even break yoma skin. If the yoma's really careless and everything works out perfectly, he might be able to take out the yoma's eyes... but are those really the odds you want when entering a fight?

Fight against Claymores? It looks vaguely more possible - at least they can be cut - but remember how the fight between Clare and the church soldiers went? Professional soldiers couldn't hit the weakest Claymore. Raki'd be better off becoming a gigolo for Claymores and poisoning their morning coffee or something, if he wants to kill them.

Spoiler for Manga:

So, yeah. It's manga. The author could make Raki powerful enough to fight whatever while still remaining a "normal human". A normal human who, like Dragon Ball's Krilin, can leap over tall building, is more powerful than a locomotive, and farts fireballs. But hey, he's the token "normal human" of the show.

But that would be just poor writing.
Old 2007-09-12, 13:54   Link #195
DazarGaidin
There there, Maggie-chan

Well i posted a little back on how raki could feasibly contend with yoma in the claymore-verse, ie tactics, using their own weapons against them and exploiting weaknesses ala dragon slayers in fantasy stories. All of which would be even more likely in a manga. Not this manga mind you lol It wont happen but it _could_ in theory.

I think against AB he would be boned though without at least some claymore help.

Maybe ill make a fanfic of this with another human warrior besides raki. Like maybe with the increase in yoma and such and the organization numbers so thin (unable to respond as quickly to requests) some human's saw a chance for profit or glory or justice...

Plus i am sure a few towns didn't like the results of claymore's work either (how many family members were lost to ophelia? If im an experieced soldier coming home i am gonna know a sword slash from a yoma claw on my little brother's corpse)

Last edited by DazarGaidin; 2007-09-12 at 14:07.
Old 2007-09-12, 14:10   Link #196
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku

In another post i comment how even Priscilla when a kid - probably using a sword or an ax for the first time - could kill her father turned into a youma. So is not impossible to Raki defeat youmas using tactics and furtive atacks a la SPLINTER CELL games.

And besides, even those two guards in Rabona arc could hurt that big youma. So, if Raki focus in one-hit-kill atacks, he could kill youmas or even awaked beings in human form.
Old 2007-09-12, 14:11   Link #197
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

That's assuming dead yoma flesh has interesting properties in terms of durability and strength and sharpness, and can somehow be fashioned into weapons and armor.

And even so, he'll still have to contend with the fact that, compared to Claymores, humans are incredibly slow and weak.

(And actually, screw yoma body parts. Why not use that metal claymores are made of? It's indestructible, and can hold a stone-cutting edge!)

I'm not saying it's impossible for Raki to kill a single yoma. I'm saying it'd take an unusual set of circumstances, and that he'd be a fool to rely on it. Ten years old kids could conceivably kill tigers, but if you have a man-eating tiger problem, you don't send a kid into the jungle telling him "go and kill that tiger. Want a weapon? Make one out of what you'll find in the jungle.".

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2007-09-12 at 16:01.
Old 2007-09-12, 15:59   Link #198
Hamstadini
Raki/Claire fan

Fact of the matter is, we don't know what's happened to Raki after seven years. For all we know he ended up as Priscilla's side dish, carnal or literal.

I'll just write up the last chapters of "In Fire," and adopt the wait and see approach. We'll probably not have another shot of him till 2008 anyway.
Old 2007-09-12, 16:02   Link #199
DazarGaidin
There there, Maggie-chan

Sure, there are tons of claymore swords laying around. Hell if he finds rifuls abandoned lair he could use some duff rods as weapons/spears/traps. :P As to weather it maintains its hardness etc, I don't see why not? Haven't really seen the bodies revert to a softer state or anything after they were killed. Thats not to say that over time they wont decay, but if its a hardened shell..wouldn't the likely hood be it stays hard?

I definitely think its possible to kill off regular yoma (priscilla did without much problem). Just probably not a good idea to go head on with one. Powerful ranged weapons, traps, containment...all possible.

Old 2007-09-12, 18:18   Link #200
hollywoodlou
from Hollywood CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazarGaidin View Post
Sure, there are tons of claymore swords laying around. Hell if he finds rifuls abandoned lair he could use some duff rods as weapons/spears/traps. :P As to weather it maintains its hardness etc, I don't see why not? Haven't really seen the bodies revert to a softer state or anything after they were killed. Thats not to say that over time they wont decay, but if its a hardened shell..wouldn't the likely hood be it stays hard?

I definitely think its possible to kill off regular yoma (priscilla did without much problem). Just probably not a good idea to go head on with one. Powerful ranged weapons, traps, containment...all possible.
That was a miracle by what...a 10 year old Pris cutting off a yoma's head? It is possible that Kid Blunder can be a great swordsman, but that must've been a very weak Claymore that Pris killed off. If he was an expert swordsman, I doubt he could keep up with the energy and quickness of an 'above average' yoma.