AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-05-26, 19:41   Link #1
stretch87
Anime Addict

IYO, What Makes a Great Anime?

IMO, a great anime is one which you end up finishing in one or two sittings because you just couldn't stop opening the next episode after each on finished.

if you try to watch your average, runofthemill series in one sitting, you will probably lose your mind
stretch87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-26, 20:15   Link #2
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

"The greatest story is a love story."
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
Old 2008-08-27, 00:17   Link #3
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

basicly just keeping my interest throughout the epis with a smashing conclusion. if they dont pull the ending off right, then usually even the greatest animes turn into average or below.

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 01:26   Link #4
Shizuka Hiou
Level X

i have to disagree to some extend.
there are animes with cliffhangers, but can be not so good.
eg. kdrama

Firstly
1.Originality i think is crucial. Especially themes. I don't want another love saves the world crap, AGAIN.
2. How characters and the story unfolds.

But in the end
be it great anime, or literature,etc does the best is the flow.
Everything becomes natural not synthetic.
Remember harry potter ending? or digimon's awkard pairing. That is extremly Synthetic.

Is like life drawing, when you watch a good series its "Alive!~"
if it looks and feels stiff, despite the good plot or w/e may be, its just not that great anymore.
(eg of stiff. dragonaut)
(eg of alive. welcome to the nhk [ending was stiff])
Shizuka Hiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 03:26   Link #5
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Great anime is when it makes you relaxed, and think: Life is suteki!
Great anime is when you laugh a lot, and just after finishing it, you just want to see it one more time. And if it mixes humor and drama pretty well, it will be even greater than a Celestial.
Great anime is when you just smiling when everything blows up, and when the three main heroines just shoot the sh*t out of that defense program, and you just go "OMG!"
And great anime is when you get goosebumps because of the legendary epicness of the epic scenes, and you just have to yell along with the main characters that this drill will pierce the heavens.

That makes a Great Anime.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 03:29   Link #6
finalfantasyfanatic
I have arrived on time!

Mainly those with a good story where you go, "OMG! I have to see the next ep!" good animation and music is a good addition but not a requirement.

Please visit my site if your interested in the Brave Series.
finalfantasyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 05:53   Link #7
wontaek

In accordance to most who already have posted, for an anime series to be great, it just must have
1. great writing to give it excellent plots, dialog, and character developments
2. great directing to capture the magic of the moments by subtle control of background, music, sounds, and pacing
3. great voice acting to make the listener be totally immersed in the mental states of the characters.
4. Suitable character design and decent choice for the surrounding and the music to not let the visual and audio elements be of distraction to the story flow.

Please notice that none of the things I mentioned needs lots of money or technology to make, but will need lots of thinking and preparations.

Last edited by wontaek; 2008-08-27 at 06:06.
wontaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 06:46   Link #8
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

In short: It must be a Visual Art.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 07:51   Link #9
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
In accordance to most who already have posted, for an anime series to be great, it just must have
2. great directing to capture the magic of the moments by subtle control of background, music, sounds, and pacing
3. great voice acting to make the listener be totally immersed in the mental states of the characters.
4. Suitable character design and decent choice for the surrounding and the music to not let the visual and audio elements be of distraction to the story flow.

Please notice that none of the things I mentioned needs lots of money or technology to make, but will need lots of thinking and preparations.
agree with all those pointers X3
saves me time to write them out lol
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 17:57   Link #10
Vivio Testarossa
I'm Back

Well there a few things that I look for in a "good" anime... One of them are "action" scenes, an anime should have a decent amount of these or I lose interest quickly. Another thing is that it must have some cute LOLI type characters (preferably non-sexualized). Yuri, and recently Yaoi are also somewhat important (depending on the series). But the most important thing, ignoring the above is that the anime must have a good plot and/or memorable characters.

Thank for help with signature Evil Rick.
Vivio Testarossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 18:21   Link #11
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post

That pretty much nails it for me.

Being one who is very visually oriented, I put a lot of emphasis on artwork and animation. But, average artwork and animation can be compensated for by the qualities mentioned by wontaek.

As far as originality... here's some interesting side reading.
http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/plotFARQ.html

There are only so many types of stories that can be told. What makes some of them "great" is the unique twist the creators put on them by combining the right elements.
Old 2008-08-27, 19:58   Link #12
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

In my heavily biased opinion? It having a boy/girl childhood friend pair, and somewhere in the series, them hooking up for good.

Okay okay, being serious now, tun said it best for me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tun View Post
"The greatest story is a love story."
-Isaac Bashevis Singer
I very quickly lose interest in a show that's without romance, so in anime, that's what I look for. It's rather the rule rather than the exception that romance would exist in anime, and the few exceptions I see, I never do finish.

In all honesty though, if I wanted to experience great writing, plot, characterization, acting (etc. etc.), I'd be reading books and/or watching films. Because on average, I'd say anime is worse on all accounts, and so I don't really have high hopes for it. I basically turn to anime because it's trends serves my interest, rather than because I'm expecting a masterpiece or something.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 21:35   Link #13
gold_orb
disrespectful heckler

fast with likeable characters and can keep my incredibly short attintionspan. also has to keep being amusing for the first haf of the season if i am going to finish it.

Ex. super gals, disgaea, and he is my master.
gold_orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 00:27   Link #14
Veronin
Fun things are (not) fun.

First of all, a good and likable cast and characters. Originality is a big deal too, since it won't be too great if it has been done a million times before. There is also a bunch of other stuff including pacing, animation, sound, etc.
Veronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 04:01   Link #15
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Interesting character and dialogue got me hooked fast. And setting must be good too.
Old 2010-09-05, 20:28   Link #16
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
What makes a great anime?

I know this is subjective but I wonder what exaclty makes great art in anime? Regardless of audience or genre, there seems to a treasure among the the trash (figuratively speaking of course) that stands out above the rest and it is hailed as the best among anime or any medium. What excactly makes great quality entertainment?
Old 2010-09-05, 23:58   Link #17
MadPanda

Like you said, that's a pretty subjective question...but then, all art is subjective. But what separates the Mona Lisa from graffitti??? I guess it's the idea of 'general consensus'--wether or not enough people agree that one anime is better than the other for common reasons.

For me, if an anime has beautiful art, a great storyline, memorable characters, music you can't get out of your head, excellent voice work, and a nice flow beginning to end, then you have 'it'. Even then, those six categories are themselves subjective, as people have their own tastes in each of them...but again, if enough people agree, maybe there's a reason for it.

I won't name any titles here, for fear of starting a "my choice is better than yours' war. The above is just my opinion on anime as a whole. I will say this, though: It may not be "The Greatest Anime Ever", but "Spirited Away" gets high marks from me on all six of the above categories. I'm just sayin'.

===
MadPanda...(of course, your mileage--or kilometerage--may vary)...
MadPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 01:16   Link #18
EnchantingPrincess
~♥~G-Ri~♥~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPanda View Post
Like you said, that's a pretty subjective question...but then, all art is subjective. But what separates the Mona Lisa from graffitti??? I guess it's the idea of 'general consensus'--wether or not enough people agree that one anime is better than the other for common reasons.

For me, if an anime has beautiful art, a great storyline, memorable characters, music you can't get out of your head, excellent voice work, and a nice flow beginning to end, then you have 'it'. Even then, those six categories are themselves subjective, as people have their own tastes in each of them...but again, if enough people agree, maybe there's a reason for it.

I won't name any titles here, for fear of starting a "my choice is better than yours' war. The above is just my opinion on anime as a whole. I will say this, though: It may not be "The Greatest Anime Ever", but "Spirited Away" gets high marks from me on all six of the above categories. I'm just sayin'.

===
MadPanda...(of course, your mileage--or kilometerage--may vary)...
I agree with you
Also Spirited Away is a great Anime I can't get enough of it
EnchantingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 02:55   Link #19
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
It's great if it feels special in a positive way.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 11:52   Link #20
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Send a message via MSN to Agito Akiyama
The characters.