AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-04-18, 04:59   Link #21
Specto
*IT Support

At the moment a lot of anime is streaming for free (with ads) on legal sites however I am not sure how sustainable this is for the industry. That will become clearer in time.
In my case I don't really want to buy DVDs - I just don't have the space for them and a lot of series are good for one watch through but are not good enough for me to want to own/keep. I do want to watch anime, am happy to do so online and am willing to pay.
My concern is that a lot of stuff is region locked like dvds. Until that issue is tacked fansubs are not going anywhere.

1) What are your online anime viewing habits?
- I mostly download anime and occasionally view anime streams
..but that only because a lot of streams are not available in my region.

2) If you view anime streams, what do you view mostly?
- Mostly legal, official anime streams (such as Naruto Shippuden, Gintama, etc)

3) Do you think legal anime streams (such as Naruto Shippuden, Gintama, etc) will get more prevalent in the future and will replace fansubs?
- Yes, legal anime streams will get more popular, but fansubs will always remain

Fansubs will never die even through the best efforts of the industry to improve access to legal subbed episodes. I for one would be happy if streams did completely replace fansubs (even if I had to pay a subscription), but realistically that won't happen. A subset of people either cannot or will not pay to watch and I am not sure how sustainable free streams are.

4) If you answered "Yes" above, do you think your online anime viewing habits will change because of this in the next few years?
- Yes, I think I'll be viewing more anime streams than download anime in the future

5) Have you ever paid for anime (online or offline, such as DVDs)?
- Yes

6) If you answered "Yes" above, would you be willing and able to pay for anime online?
- Yes
I am a subscriber on a popular streaming site.

7) If you answered "Yes" above, what kind of online anime would you be willing to pay for?
- Download to own (DRM free only)
- Pay to view online streams (sort of like a rental)

8) If you are unwilling to pay for anime online, what is your primary reason?
- N/A

9) Would you like to see AnimeSuki list anime streams?
- Yes
Would be nice to have but is not essential

10) If you answered "Yes" above, what kind of streams should AnimeSuki list?
- Only official legal streams (such as Naruto Shippuden and Gintama, etc)

11) When listing legal streams, should AnimeSuki list time-limited streams? (ie: streams that are only available for 2 weeks after airing)
- Yes, even after the stream is only available as some kind of pay-only option
But indications need to given in the display as to what is available, when and if it is for free.

12) When listing legal streams, should AnimeSuki list region-locked streams? (ie: streams that are only available to visitors from the US, etc)
- No, never
Region locking streams is not a viable business model on the internet and should be discouraged.
If animesuki did list the streams visitors would need to be able to filter streams by their region.

13) Should AnimeSuki list non-free legal anime streams? (ie: streams that require payment to view)
- Yes, if clearly marked as pay-only

14) When listing non-legal unlicensed streams, should AnimeSuki only list streams created/sanctioned by fansub groups? (Fansub groups: I need your opinion on this!)
- Yes, only list "official" fansub group sanctioned streams

If animesuki does list streams I think the listings will need to be customizable.
Users would need to be able to filter streams out of torrent listings etc and certainly exclude streams that are only available in certain regions.
Easy representation of this kind of thing might make stream listing an unrealistic goal.
Specto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 21:19   Link #22
Slice of Life
eyewitness

- Watching streams is seldom an option. And in any case, I always download to own too.

N/A

3) Do you think legal anime streams (such as Naruto Shippuden, Gintama, etc) will get more prevalent in the future and will replace fansubs?
My educated guess: Not everything will be streamed so there will still be fansubs. But less and less fansubbers will be bother to invent the wheel anew (= fansub what is already being streamed with subs). A stream ripper industry will arise (it's already there in its infancy) that will offer rips in varying quality from "as is" to improved video/audio, rectified TL, and fancy karaoke. DVDs will die out it the medium term or become a luxury product, DVD rippers will join the stream rippers.

4) If you answered "Yes" above, do you think your online anime viewing habits will change because of this in the next few years?
- No, my habits will probably not change

- Yes

6) If you answered "Yes" above, would you be willing and able to pay for anime online?
- Yes

7) If you answered "Yes" above, what kind of online anime would you be willing to pay for?
... and only from Japanese sources

N/A

- No

I never understood why Animesuli should list torrents in the first place. I always saw Animesuki mainly as a discussion forum and not as torrent library. As far as I'm concerned AS could as well concentrate on what I consider their core business. As a side effect it would put them on a safer legal ground and they could thus abolish many of the censorship rules that are now in place. As torrent provider AS was never important to me. My RSS digests are formatted chronologically and TT is virtually always faster. And they have the "bad" torrents too of course.

Now streams: Already now I see the signs that Animesuki might become the ANN of the streaming age. Closely intertwined with the American subbing/dubbing industry and generally cool and dismissive towards non-American anime fans. That step would only accelerate the process.

N/A

11) When listing legal streams, should AnimeSuki list time-limited streams? (ie: streams that are only available for 2 weeks after airing)
N/A

12) When listing legal streams, should AnimeSuki list region-locked streams? (ie: streams that are only available to visitors from the US, etc)
N/A

13) Should AnimeSuki list non-free legal anime streams? (ie: streams that require payment to view)
N/A

14) When listing non-legal unlicensed streams, should AnimeSuki only list streams created/sanctioned by fansub groups? (Fansub groups: I need your opinion on this!)
N/A
Old 2009-04-18, 23:31   Link #23
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
- I only download anime and never view anime streams

-
Comment: If for some reason I would stream, I'd watch legal or non-legal as long as I can watch the episode I want. I do think I've watched mostly illegal ones in the past though, dunno.

- No, the situation will not change much
Comment: Fansubs will always exist. Streaming will ofcourse be popular, especially among the younger ones but I don't think anything is going to change much.

-

- No
Comment: I don't have easy access to anime stuff around here, plus it's not very cheap. I'm not rich. Besides, downloading and watching on the computer is both easier and... etc etc

-

-

- I do not want to pay for anime online, ever (please specify reason)
Comment: Unless there was no other way to see anime, I'd never pay to watch anime online. Ever.
If I can just download fansubs for free and watch it, I'll do it. Also, I'm not very rich either.

- Yes
Comment: This doesn't really concern me since I don't stream online, but I would approve of it as long as the quality is good.

- A mix of both
Comment: I don't care, but the streaming sites who list "illegal" ones do get the most visitors, I think...

- No, never
Comment: What if I'd want to watch an old anime series or didn't get the chance to watch an episode 2 weeks after?
Popularity would undoubtedly drop with this feature.

- No, never
Comment: I don't even need to comment on this.

- No, never
Comment: Why would I pay for streaming? Streaming is far inferior to the downloaded subs. If you're going to charge money for something, make a premium option kind of thing.

-
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 23:38   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

- Streams suffer from the "it spent my transfer bits and yet I have to cheat to capture it" problem. Also the first series that has even interested me that is being streamed suffers from lousy encoding/source (Saki). Not a good start. I download to own unless/until I am offered a Region 1 release.... still waiting on all those MFI titles they're so belligerent about.

Testing Saki.... the CR business model looks okay but for Saki, the delivery is technically a mess. Question: does CR picking up a series guarantee an R1 DVD release? If not, then I'm back to square one in collecting series.

I concur with Slice-of-Life: Not everything will be streamed so there will still be fansubs. I also agree a stream ripper hobby will arise (it's already there in its infancy) that will offer rips in varying quality from "as is" to improved video/audio, rectified TL, and fancy karaoke.
I'd like to continue to see DVD releases but given the unreliability of the R1 industry I'm not planning my lunch around it.

- It depends on if CR offers HD quality DRM-free digital files after the series airs via their subscription channels. I'd buy that. I am not against paying for what I like.

- Yes, in great quantities ($1000+ a year). The anime industry would certainly have never seen a dime of my money without fansubs.

- Yes, if I'm able to purchase a DRM-free quality version of it at some point.

- Download to own (DRM free only), and I really don't want/care for dubs. Subtitles are fine.

N/A

- No
Again, I concur with SoL: I use the torrents at AS but they aren't vital. What is important to me is the discussion forum, its the primary place I get news, discuss series, and interact with others interested in japanese pop culture. It would indeed make AS much safer as an entity than the grey zone they lurk in now. I also enjoy the WORLDWIDE nature of AS and would deplore any regionalization (like CR is suffering under).

Well, if they do feel compelled to list streams --- only legal streams.

No. I object to these entirely unless the site is also offering to sell the episodes.

No. See question 9. I object to region restrictions and see no reason to give such nonsense a wedge.

Who the hell is streaming non-legal streams? What is the point? HTTP, torrent, IRC, etc.

N/A, again.... what is the point?
Old 2009-04-19, 00:23   Link #25
dago2682
Nodoka Fan

I don´t watch online stream because of poor qualiity compared to fansub releases and regional restrictions e.g. Ristorante paradiso @ CR.

N/A reason mentioned above

- Yes, legal anime streams will get more popular and replace fansubs eventually (If they offer them on other languages besides english,otherwise fansubing will continue for the countries that have a different language,

- Yes, I think I'll be viewing more anime streams than download anime in the future (If the above condition is met)

-No (There is virtually no legal distribution of anime for Mexico

i won´t pay for anime unless it has spanish subtitles.

No,because it´s going to be free publicity for the streaming sites

- No, never (Unless you get paid for listing them)

- No, never (Unless you get paid for listing them)

- No, never
Old 2009-04-19, 01:25   Link #26
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru

I have a fairly recent computer with a high-resolution screen, so I download because I prefer the HD and I also like soft subs and the ability to go back later in time and watch it again without fear that it might be gone.

- Both legal and illegally uploaded anime streams equally

Most legal streams are more about quantity and rolling in a customer than quality like fansubs. More than likely fansubs will alway rank higher due to this.

- Yes

- No

For the same reason I don't buy the $60 games off of PlayStation Network. I like having a physical medium that the content is on just in case of a catastrophic hard/software failure.

- I only want to pay for tangible goods like DVDs, not digital goods

- No (please specify reason in your post)

AS is a means for listing torrents, and I believe it should stay that way. By listing streams, it would muddle up the frontpage moreso than it already is and make finding what you're looking for a hassle. Not to mention the added chore of going back and checking the streams monthly/bi-monthly to make sure they're still working.

- No, never

- Yes, but the allowed region should be clearly visible on AnimeSuki

I may be American, but I believe the rest of the world deserves a fair share of the media. If something is region locked, it should be explicitly pointed out to alert the users from other regions. I had this issue trying to watch NBC online when on a trip to Japan.

If people want to pay for it, I say go ahead. If not, at least they'll be notified as to it being a paid site so as to not waste their time and anger them.

Old 2009-04-19, 02:21   Link #27
Edgewalker
Nani ?

I only ever stream in rare cases in which I am not sure the series is worth downloading. I will only stream the first episode in such cases.

IMO Animesuki is fine as a torrent site. No stream listing is needed.

Spoiler for controversial opinion:

Last edited by Edgewalker; 2009-04-19 at 02:33.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 02:31   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A very small grain of salt as I think there's a legitimate concern .... protecting the signal-noise ratio is something to definitely consider.
Old 2009-04-19, 03:14   Link #29
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai

- I both download anime and view anime streams about equally

- Yes, legal anime streams will get more popular, but fansubs will always remain

- Yes

- Yes

- All of the above

- Yes

- A mix of both

- Yes, but only for the time the stream is available for free

- No, also list streams uploaded by other people

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 08:07   Link #30
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Will contribute to poll:

- Other (please specify):
No, because free streams would eventually go to pay per view streams because of popularity and when that happens we'll all be going back to regular fansubbing (overall nothing will change except that P2V streams will probably dissapear or slim down)

- Yes

- No

- I do not want to pay for anime online, ever (please specify reason)
I would rather have actual DVD's rather than a file or stream (rather buy the merchandise than a sub)

- No, kind of in between don't know how much it will cost A-suki financially and if there are fansubs why throw in streams, if A-suki didn't have a legal anime torrent list then I would probably say yes

reason: this way you don't have to stack everything and if people want to watch it when it is gone they can get the torrent

- No, never (I live in Europe and not everyone else lives in the USA either)

- No, never reason: it can cause serious licensing trouble and you'd be contacted to remove the specified licensed series anyway

So that it won't get a mess
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 11:08   Link #31
Shiki Tohno

- Yes, I'll be switching from illegally uploaded anime streams (like on Veoh etc) to legal streams

- Yes

- Yes

- I do not have any means to pay for anime online (no credit card, banned PayPal country, etc)

- Yes

Shiki Tohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 13:31   Link #32
0uroboros

- Yes

- yes

- Yes

Yes, but only if they are listed in their own specific section. I would not like to see them listed alongside regular fansubs.

0uroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 15:56   Link #33
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I can't stand streaming and like to watch things again/archive them.

----

This is what I'm seeing for this season.

- Yes

- No

----

- Yes

OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 16:13   Link #34
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, the questionnaire is a bit too long and I don't feel like answering every single question, so here goes:

No, I don't watch streams. No, I don't think I'll ever consider streaming as my main choice. At the end of the day, a file in my hard drive is way more convenient than a locked-out flash stream on "the cloud" (and more reliable, with better quality, you name it). Streams are OK for stuff like regular TV shows like news or talk shows, the kind of thing you "watch and throw away". But for something I'm supposed to sit down and enjoy, streams are as low as they go. I can barely stand standard definition files anymore--I'm not going to wait until I have the bandwidth to stream HD shows effectively. Plus, P2P will always be much more efficient in bandwidth usage (not particularly for me, but for the network in general).

Plus, I run Linux, and we're used to be left out of the loop in terms of a proprietary technology such as Flash. MKV and h264 are open standards.

By the way, the only reason why I don't buy any sort of anime-related goods or anime per se is because I'm not given a chance to buy them. As far as the distributing companies go, I'm not within their target audience. And I'm not about to pay for an overpriced American licensed version, which goes for about 10% of my salary (plus shipping!) for a measly number of episodes and includes lots of things I don't want, such as English dubs.

If, and only if, I'm given the chance to purchase DRM-free, Japanese-language versions of the episodes on a fair price and without any region-locking bullshit whatsoever, I will consider buying the episodes instead of downloading them from somewhere else. And only after I have previewed the series or if it comes from a studio I respect (which these days it probably only amounts to Bones and Hal Film Maker, and perhaps Madhouse).

Do I care about AnimeSuki listing streams? Honestly, I don't. As Slice of Life said, I use other sites to look for torrents because of the policies that have befallen on AS throughout the times (since, for example, the fact that a show is licensed doesn't mean anything to me since it only means licensed in the US).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 22:43   Link #35
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]

- Yes, I think I'll be viewing more anime streams than download anime in the future

- Yes

- Yes

- Yes

Make sure its marked clearly as paid only, with options to filter those out.

Again with options to filter them out

These usually last as long as the fansub group is willing to host them. I think fansub groups usually don't support streaming. Look at dattebayo. They are the number 1 requester of dmca take downs on Youtube for anime. Even more than viz.
Old 2009-04-20, 04:37   Link #36
Stranger

(I have a very slow and unreliable connection, offline watching is the only option for me. Although I don't mind paying for an official offline option )

(as with licensed anime, only "selected" anime will get an official stream. So fansubing will stay around for the other animes as well as other languages).

- Yes
(as long as they are willing to sale to me, read, I live outside the USofA).

- Yes
(it might sound strange, I do pay Cruchyroll but I can't stream their releases so I endup downloading their rips )

- All of the above
( some animes are meant to be watched once, no matter how you look at, once you have watched you do not go back to watch it again. So DRM or not, it doesn't really matter, once you have watched you will most likely delete it after you have watched it once (otherwise... get the DVD))

- Other (please specify)
(some official streams are released using the censored version of the anime, if I say I am over 18 when I subscribe, then I expected to receive the uncensored version. Getting the censored version from fansubs is understandable, but not from a paid for stream note: I am not referring to nudity only, but blood and violence as well)

- Yes

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 07:33   Link #37
plau

I think AnimeSuki will play a role in deciding whether anime streams stay around. If AnimeSuki decides to list anime streams, this will certainly have an impact on the industry as a whole.

- Yes

- No

- I do not have any means to pay for anime online (no credit card, banned PayPal country, etc)

- Yes

- A mix of both

- No, also list streams uploaded by other people

Well, I think AnimeSuki should only list anime streams that contain fansubs from one fansub group; but it does not have to be officially sanctioned.
plau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 15:48   Link #38
Ambers79

I hate streaming but at the same time I like having a show the same day it airs and I like the fact that you can support anime by some of the legal streams sites. So I am will to watching streaming through legal sites and pay for the services.

- Yes
Most of the anime I have watched has been on Dvd format my collection over 1000 discs now. I download mostly shows that have little chance of coming into Region 1.

- Yes
Already am at Crunchyroll

- Pay to view online streams (sort of like a rental)
I would pay for downloads but the biggest factor is the price.

- Yes
I would like them to list legal streams. I think this would cut down on the number of streams they would have to list since there aren't that many places that offer legal ones. It also wouldn't piss the fansubbers off listing streams of their shows that they don't approve of. Since you don't list show that are legal streams some shows might slip through the crack and people will never get a chance to see them not realizing that they exist. Shows like Saki and Ristorante Paradiso have very little chance of coming to region 1 yet since they are licensed through crunchyroll some people might not realize they are out there.

Although listing that it is pay only would be helpful

- No, never

Ambers79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 19:59   Link #39
gsilver

I mostly download anime.

Usually legal ones, as they tend to be the ones with the best video quality. Things like Youtube and Veoh are just for clips.

Not entirely. There is a huge number of shows that won't ever be brought over, via streams or not. However, streams will likely increase the variety of shows legitimately avaliable in English, like Saki. Before that, there were no (legit) English language releases of Mahjong shows. I don't think it would be licensed, either, if it weren't for the original publisher making a streaming release available.

As steaming becomes more common, I will likely use it more.
For example, I get all of my American TV off of Hulu.
I do, however, prefer things that I expect to watch multiple times in physical media. For example, I own seasons of South Park and The Simpsons, even though I can stream them for free.

Yes. I have a substantial DVD collection, of both R1 and R2 disks.

Possibly, if for purchased content there is a system like Steam is available to allow easy re-downloading of content, and the video quality is comparable to Blu-Ray media. Basically, it'll need to be BETTER than what is available from physical media.

For example, Steam provides this for PC games: Nothing scaled back from the physical media (with rare exceptions, like CD-era games), and I can redownload whenever I want to. With Itunes, the closest audio/video comparison, you are allowed to download once, and the media is compressed. I own many games on Steam, and have never purchased anything from iTunes.

The conditions for rentals are discussed in the next question.

Both download to own and rental with some caveats:

If DRM'ed Download-to-own must not not prevent on-demand playback on my laptop, iPod, and PS3, to compete with the functionality of storebought DVDs. It's a whole lot easier to just say 'DRM-free', though.

Rentals will need to be part of an unlimited subscription service (ie. Netflix instant view). I've already paid to use this one.

X

Yes.

Official streams only.

- Yes, but they must be taken down if there is no option to watch once the time limit expires. If they become pay-to-download, it needs to be marked as such.

X
gsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 01:52   Link #40
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

People complained about poor video quality. For my part, the sound tends to suffer on YouTube, primarily 22.05kHz monaural sound. However, I'm not expecting top-of-the-line stuff even from a raw TV stream, nor would I ask for it. In a nutshell, if what I see on YouTube is any indication of what I can expect to see for streaming, thanks but no thanks.

- None of the original answers apply. I only download.

- Other (please specify) Tough to call this one because I do not watch mainstream anime. I suspect that 95+% of streamed anime watched is specifically of one cited title, Naruto, a title I have no desire whatsoever to watch.

- No, my habits will (strikeout)probably(/strikeout) not change (Again, most of this is heavily-mainstreamed anime, so no reason to watch it)

- Yes (DVDs only, though I'd rather get R2 and get "external subs" because I'm starting to notice some REALLY bad American packaging, which is disheartening)

- No (if material with DRM is the only variety available)

- Does not apply.

- Other (please specify) I don't believe in DRM.

- No (please specify reason in your post) As others have said, A'Suki signposts DOWNLOADABLE anime. I don't WANT streams. See my editorializing for more thoughts on this.

- Not applicable

- No, never

- No, never

- No, never

- Yes, only list "official" fansub group sanctioned streams (note below on streaming in general, however!)

---------

Some editorializing:
  • When you get down to it, DRM really and correctly means "Digital Restrictions Management" since DRM seems to solely benefit the copyright holder. Where do OUR rights as consumers fit into this?
  • Copyright LAW is supposed to benefit both copyright holders and their consumers, while Big Content seems to think it's there solely for its own benefit, with the DMCA being misinterpreted as giving it police powers. It doesn't, as the RIAA has learned the hard way. The best (and only) way to fix this ill-conceived law is to repeal it.
  • Big Content has too much say in how copyright law is not only enforced, but also, and worse, how it's written.
  • If AnimeSuki must list streams, keep them on their own site, e.g. streams.animesuki.com, not something like www.animesuki.com/streams (though this one is a decent compromise; I would prefer them completely isolated) or on the same page as normal torrent signposting.

Last edited by IRJustman; 2009-04-21 at 02:02.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote