AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 25 40.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 26.23%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 18.03%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.92%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.64%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-08, 11:50   Link #41
Oberon

After seeing both renditions of Hughes' death, the impression I get is that the first series did indeed go for an emphasis of the tragedy of Hughes death, while the 2nd series displays it as a part of a greater puzzle in a thriller or a mystery. After this episode, I feel more like asking questions, like "damn, what exactly did he find out that made him a target?" and "how deep does treachery run in the military?", instead of just mourning a character's death.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall whether the first series ever revealed what Hughes' discovery actually was. Maybe upscaling the emotional impact of his demise was also an attempt to mask over the fact that they didn't really have an answer to that question, as the manga didn't yet cover that when it was first animated. Well, the writer for the 1st series did have a penchant for including human drama, so maybe he didn't even consider that and just went for the opportunity when he saw it.

Aynways, I'm glad that we'll soon be entering territory not covered in the first series. I often get the feeling that the 2nd series suffers a bit from "we have to animate things differently" when there's scenes that are similar in both series, to set things apart. It'll be nice to see how the story will be handled once there's nothing left to compare it to (apart from the manga).
Old 2009-06-08, 11:59   Link #42
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall whether the first series ever revealed what Hughes' discovery actually was. Maybe upscaling the emotional impact of his demise was also an attempt to mask over the fact that they didn't really have an answer to that question, as the manga didn't yet cover that when it was first animated. Well, the writer for the 1st series did have a penchant for including human drama, so maybe he didn't even consider that and just went for the opportunity when he saw it.
There was something I think he discovered the
Spoiler for 1st anime:
but all I will say in terms of this series (no actual details at all in the spoiler just speaking in very general terms but putting it in spoiler tags just in case).

Spoiler for Minor:

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2009-06-08 at 13:45.
Old 2009-06-08, 15:59   Link #43
Yamada
Minori Fanboy

Yeah, Kirarakim is right about Hughes' discovery in the original series.
Spoiler for first series:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
After seeing both renditions of Hughes' death, the impression I get is that the first series did indeed go for an emphasis of the tragedy of Hughes death, while the 2nd series displays it as a part of a greater puzzle in a thriller or a mystery. After this episode, I feel more like asking questions, like "damn, what exactly did he find out that made him a target?" and "how deep does treachery run in the military?", instead of just mourning a character's death.
I completely agree with you. I noticed it particularly in the musical score surrounding Hughes' death as well. It really did have a feeling of suspense and mystery to it. Brotherhood is doing a good job of getting the viewer to think about the underlying motives and corruption within the military (at least for this episode - I doubt the next episode in Rush Valley will have anything to do with it ).
Old 2009-06-08, 18:07   Link #44
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, this was different. I don't remember being teary-eyed at the funeral scene the first two times (manga and anime). Dunno if it was Roy's voice at the end, or just the mood of it all (the detail of the Generalissimo's shaking was superb, IMHO), but... it just clicked, I guess. Great episode, for me. Hope more like it come soon.

Old 2009-06-08, 20:55   Link #45
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Nothing ever blunts Hughes' death for me. *weeps uncontrollably*
Old 2009-06-08, 23:30   Link #46
rpgman1

Hughes' death always gets me and when Eliza asked about Daddy. She starts crying and screaming for him. It is truly tragic. The music made it more of mystery and suspense.
Old 2009-06-09, 06:04   Link #47
kitten320

Haven't watched it yet, will do it today.
Old 2009-06-09, 06:27   Link #48
Evil Sis
Mushi mushi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Well, this was different. I don't remember being teary-eyed at the funeral scene the first two times (manga and anime). Dunno if it was Roy's voice at the end, or just the mood of it all (the detail of the Generalissimo's shaking was superb, IMHO), but... it just clicked, I guess. Great episode, for me. Hope more like it come soon.
I'm right with you there, sir. Love this ep! ^^
Old 2009-06-09, 10:11   Link #49
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Rest In Peace Hughes. It was fun having you back for another 10 episodes since the first anime, but in the end, you had to leave us. Rest assured you'll be remembered fondly.
Old 2009-06-09, 11:16   Link #50
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Kirvee Send a message via MSN to Kirvee Send a message via Yahoo to Kirvee
Elicia at the funeral was very heartbreaking. Poor little girl ;-;.
Old 2009-06-09, 12:31   Link #51
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

This epi really did an excellent job juggling the comedy and drama. Still one of my fave scenes is when Bradley comes to visit Ed and everyones reaction to it. Then Bradley leaving out the window later.

Hughes's funeral was amazing. I loved it in the first series, I loved it in the manga, I loved it this time too. Still hard to watch.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2009-06-09, 19:42   Link #52
kitten320

I don't know about you guys but for me it was the best episode out of all 10 that were done till now. It might be not that powerful as in 1st season but I still enjoyed it a lot.
And Roy made it even better. The moment at graveyard with burrying was kinda rushed but Alicia's voice had much better effect on me here as well as when Roy started to cry.

And on side note... Rize is so kind and understanding! Roy is really lucky to have her by his side!
Old 2009-06-09, 20:41   Link #53
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
In that sense, I guess I'd have to see if any readers of the manga who saw this in text before FMA 1 was aired and now seeing what you've read animated scene for scene feel the same.
Which tugged your heartstrings the most? Which do you prefer now seeing both versions animated.
The result is the same but the approaches were very different.
I guess Roy's lines of
"It's going to rain"
tugged my heartstrings a little and Hughes parting words to his daughter, but that was as sad as I got, no tissues for me.
I was too busy trying to keep tabs with the pace of the story since they'd moved on already.

Anyways, I've a feeling that FMA 1 + FMA 2 similarities are ending real soon now. Wanna ask a quick question, please answer in spoilers too since it's to do with the preview.
Spoiler:

Okay, rant over I feel better xD
But yeah, I didn't think anger was an emotion I was gonna get from this ep, but there you go.
It'll be interesting to see how others feel, manga readers, FMA 1 series watchers and people who've never seen FMA at all alike.
I have to say I read the manga, and watched FMA1 and I far preferred the FMA1 anime version. Why? because Hughes had been there since the boys left home. That is what gave it more impact. In addition to all the other little things they did. FMA1 did a really good job of expanding the starting parts of the manga- greatly improving it- little things like Ed being involved in arresting Barry the Chopper- the extra time given to developing Al's worry about where he came from (not remembering certain things/people, ect).

The manga does rush the opening and set up compared to the FMA 1 anime- there is only one small difference in the plot that actually effects anything that I can think of- and that is that the homoculii in the manga/FMA 2 don't want Ed to create a philosopher stone for them to make them human. Instead they want Ed to survive because he's "a special sacrifice".

The difference in the storyline is about to become much bigger in the next couple episodes, and when it does you will start to see why so many people prefer the manga. Even though FMA 1 had a better setup and start, the manga/FMA 2 version develops the story themes better- in terms of what the homoculii are, there purpose- and who Ed and Al's father is.

Personally- I just splice the two together in my mind- that way I can enjoy the better FMA1 setup, and also the better climax of the manga.

PS: for your spoiler, yes it is in FMA1, we still probably have at least 2 and maybe 3 episodes that will follow the FMA1 plot before diverging.
Old 2009-06-09, 21:03   Link #54
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
the extra time given to developing Al's worry about where he came from (not remembering certain things/people, ect).
Personally this is something I disliked about the first series. I didn't think they needed to spend extra time on this and I felt they just dragged out Al's angst unnecessarily and then resolved it in a poor fashion during the middle of a fight scene. Not to mention why would Al be losing his memories? Never explained thus to me it was a poorly written subplot.

I will agree that how the anime expanded some of the manga's early subplots were a nice touch, especially the Nina and Hughes storyline. Nina & Hughes were minor characters in the manga who became major characters in the anime. But at least for Hughes you have to consider that in the 1st anime he died at episode 25 the series 1/2 way point. In this series he dies at episode 10/Vol 4 of the manga. It's not even close to the half way point of the manga storyline. In fact Hughes died at the very early stages of the manga. That in itself is an important difference that people need to realize when judging the two versions. In comparison episode 10 of the 1st series was a side story about some female thief.
Old 2009-06-09, 22:23   Link #55
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
PS: for your spoiler, yes it is in FMA1, we still probably have at least 2 and maybe 3 episodes that will follow the FMA1 plot before diverging.
Ep14 will be the final episode which features any FMA1 content.
Old 2009-06-09, 23:33   Link #56
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Ep14 will be the final episode which features any FMA1 content.
And the majority of the ep should be new, if they focus on the things the corresponding manga chapter(s) focuses on primarily.
Old 2009-06-10, 15:59   Link #57
Somnus
Eh?

I'll start off by saying this...I really am enjoying this series, and I can never get enough of Ed and Winry. As far as this episode is concerned though, I'm going to have to jump on the boat waving the "1st anime Hughes was better" flag.
I do understand the difference in circumstance between the two shows, but I just like how the death was portrayed in the 1st one so much better (with Hughes as a major character). Though that being said, seeing Elicia at the funeral and what she says will always get to me.
Old 2009-06-11, 05:47   Link #58
kenecix

Rest in Peace...
Old 2009-06-11, 23:07   Link #59
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Episode X: Separate Ways

I won't like in the least how the current FMA series is going to give the full account of what really happened in the Ishbal War, not because of bad script-writing.
On the contrary, I'll be of the first looking towards it. But, because it'll be both painfully and heartlessly cruel to watch, nonetheless, that's still for an uncertain future to happen.

Anyways, this time around the new animation staff chose to treat the audience with Hughes's very last breath. It totally shook when Roy picked-up the phone, and the line was hung up after no one answered his responses from the other side.

Spoiler:

We're almost to reach the converging point where the second FMA series will go separate ways from the first FMA series in concern to the plotline, that's coming really soon.
Old 2009-06-12, 04:06   Link #60
Catnipcat
Twangst hater

I'll put it simple:
I do think Oberon has a point there. Now in my own words:
This time it's more grown-up. You get my point, I hope? It's getting darker. It's geting scary.
Closed Thread