AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-16, 20:53   Link #121
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
The Bibliotheca...the way it's depicted...is certainly interesting....
It's new for the anime, too. The library is supposed to just be books as far as the eye can see: a maze of corridors and a staircase going up, with books stacked so tightly it's as if they form the very walls of the place. It sure didn't look like that here.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 20:55   Link #122
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Not to bad but it dose all most seem like Gosick

The ending is a little creepy
Old 2011-07-16, 20:55   Link #123
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
It's new for the anime, too. The library is supposed to just be books as far as the eye can see: a maze of corridors and a staircase going up, with books stacked so tightly it's as if they form the very walls of the place. It sure didn't look like that here.
That's why I said interesting...not that it's bad...It actually fits the unknown theme just as well even if there is no giant demon hand
Old 2011-07-16, 21:14   Link #124
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
While GOSICK dealt with solving mysteries through the use of reason and science to topple magic and superstition within an altered revision of history in our world, Dantalian no Shokan delves upon the supernatural world of dark fantasy, and let me comment that I could feel the Lovecraftian thematics suggested and implied within the latter show.
Definitely agree with this. Other than general time setting and the style of clothes the main female wear, I don't really see many similarities to Gosick. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy this all the same.

Also, I love the BGM in the first episode.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-16, 23:07   Link #125
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

I love the first episode. Anime did a better intro compare to the manga, imho.

ED had a cool song.. and the visuals are so creepy. I LOVE IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWrath View Post
Anyway, I like the protagonist so far. He seems actually capable! Plus, from where this started, I can hardly imagine him harem building.

+ for being decisive under pressure
+ for being calm under incredible situations
+ for seemingly being a reliable fighter (without going into superhuman territory toooooo much)
I like him for similar reasons This is why I love soldier (even if he claims to be only a pilot) characters that can act as such!!
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 00:01   Link #126
AzureWrath

It is refreshing when we don't have a standard harem lead. One of my favorite leads of all time still has to be Spike from Cowboy Bebop : x
Old 2011-07-17, 00:15   Link #127
Miraluka
Banned

Is this an harem to begin with?
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 00:23   Link #128
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
A pretty good first episode. They did move pretty quick, but at least it got us right into the series. Definitely interesting that Huey visited that library when he was a child and met that girl. Can't imagine that she gets many guests considering where she is .

Huey is definitely a solid guy and a good kind of male lead. He did pretty well against a few creatures just armed with his gun. Also he did fine against the dragon considering it was a dragon. Still glad that Dalian acknowledged him as her Keykeeper since otherwise he probably wouldn't have held out much longer. Anyways the guy has a calm personality, but can definitely fight when the situation calls for it. No complaints about him that's for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Indeed: within Dalian is the library. What I wonder is if the mysterious girl within the library is, in fact, the demon Dantalian of legend, and if Dalian is an extension of that girl's consciousness or is her own individual person.
Yeah I was kind of wondering about that kind of thing as well. The connection between Dalian and the girl inside the library, whether Dalian is an extension of that girl or a separate being entirely. Should be interesting to figure it out.
Old 2011-07-17, 00:35   Link #129
TrueKnight

Nice 1st ep. Liking the atmosphere they set up at the start of the ep. So eerie yet calming. Dalian’s a bit too tsun for my taste though, but on the other hand Huey is a good lead. I assume Huey was in the royal airforce as both pilot and its gunner, and during the war saw shattered skies moments where enemy planes' bullets run across or through his own plane. He’s used to dangerous situation, thats why he’s got good composure and works well under pressure when facing the clown, lion and dragon. A bit funny where the dragon just stay put and didn't do anything when Huey's reading the verses..Curious where they will take the Huey and Dalian development in the future.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 03:14   Link #130
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Wow, what's it with mystery solving lolis this year? XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Is this an harem to begin with?
Not sure if it will be full blown harem, but I can see this turning a love triangle considering the author's past work, Asura Cryin. I mean, there's the pink haired girl and Dalian herself...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 03:55   Link #131
dragon132004

I would say I had enjoyed the first episode, it has many mixed moments where you laugh and be in wonder, beside the background music was nice and played a big parts in setting the right environment BUT I DIDN'T LIKE THE ENDING.. I don't know, I just didn't find it to my taste, it felt really strange and different.. And beside the voice actress or the Seiyuu for Dalian is Sawashiro Miyuki (that's Celty Sturluson from Durarara!!) so I am having a litte bit of hard time getting used to her voice with character but I am not saying it was the wrong choice to pick her for that role considering she have done such roles in the past and the best example is her role as Shinku from Rozen Maiden, has some similarities, ain't it? LOL
Old 2011-07-17, 10:36   Link #132
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
What mystery? The closest thing was the murder, but even the main guy who didn't really know either person was able to figure out who the culprit was just because of rumors. That means pretty much everyone knew who did it, just didn't have any proof. And the "proof" ended up being the same as if someone stole a bag that had a grenade in it, and then accidentally blew up said grenade. She didn't really do anything remotely close to sleuthing.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 11:06   Link #133
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
It seemed like your average action anime with a dark setting, and a loli to satisfy your taste Then again... There seems to be lolis everywhere this season
Old 2011-07-17, 18:14   Link #134
Dop
Mmmm....

I really enjoyed that. It's nice to have a male protagonist who isn't a school kid or a bit crap.
Hugh is a former RAF pilot who served in the first world war. He carries a service revolver and knows how to use it. That makes him so much better than most anime protagonists!
The chemistry with Dalian also seemed good.
Looking forward to the rest.

The shots of the house looked very much taken from photographs. I wonder how long before someone works out the source material?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 18:18   Link #135
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I actually kind of liked the very brisk pacing of the first episode.

I think that it's sometimes a good idea to have a fast first episode to hook the viewer instantly, and then do some important fleshing out (character-wise, plot-wise, and setting-wise) in the second episode.

So I hope we learn a fair bit in the next episode.

But on the whole, I was very pleased with the first episode. Very appealing male lead, in my view.

I like the character design of the female lead, although I have to admit that loli tsunderes are starting to wear a bit thin on me, lol. Hopefully I won't be spoiled on the character type entirely by the time Shana III comes out.
Old 2011-07-17, 19:25   Link #136
Xacual

I'm still not seeing where people are getting tsundere vibes from Dalian. She's haughty as befitting a person who's probably been treated nobly her entire existence but I can't see that as tsundere.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 19:34   Link #137
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well she also didn't exactly get off on the best note with Huey. I don't really think she's a tsundere myself... But meh.

These terms get thrown around a lot anyways.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 20:40   Link #138
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I'm still not seeing where people are getting tsundere vibes from Dalian. She's haughty as befitting a person who's probably been treated nobly her entire existence but I can't see that as tsundere.
I agree with you on this part. There was not much character development yet to even tell if she was tsundere or not.. Well she hasn't even gone dere for the protagonist yet to cater to that idea. It was probably the way she acted throughout the first episode, being bossy and using insults quite frequently.
Old 2011-07-17, 23:23   Link #139
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I agree with you on this part. There was not much character development yet to even tell if she was tsundere or not.. Well she hasn't even gone dere for the protagonist yet to cater to that idea. It was probably the way she acted throughout the first episode, being bossy and using insults quite frequently.
Furthermore, there are few users commenting that Huey is to Dalian what Kujo is to Victorique.

As always been posted, this is only the first episode so it's still too early to jump to conclusions, but I want to remark upon a few observations.

First, is that Huey's older than Kujo at the start of their respective shows, hence, Huey's got more life experience than Kujo did and that makes him less-to-no naive than the latter; being no naive about how the real world is makes Huey not that stupid and far clever, at least in contrast to Kujo in terms of characters to their own stories.

Even Dalian admitted from to time during her observations, that Huey wasn't a complete fool when engaging in conversation with him.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 01:31   Link #140
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
This.

And I think if I see one more post mentioning Gosick, I will scream. I mean REALLY, people. Just watch the damned show and stop comparing it to things (especially if 50 people have already done so BEFORE of you). Ugh...
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen