Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-10-03, 01:32   Link #781
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
And yet the Tea Party constantly demonizes paying taxes, yet I do not see many rebellious children of Tea Party parents rushing to fill out their Form 1040A.
Too complicated
Old 2011-10-03, 07:45   Link #782
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Voting is an evil activity! Only cool kids vote!
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 03:27   Link #783
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Voting is an evil activity! Only cool kids vote!
In rare occasion some kool kids don't vote either...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIraC...eature=related

Carlin is one of my idols.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 09:05   Link #784
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Homeschoolers emerge as Republican foot soldiers

Congrats Yanks. You guys are f***ed if this comes true : religion >>> science when it comes to education.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 10:45   Link #785
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Congrats Yanks. You guys are f***ed if this comes true : religion >>> science when it comes to education.
I am surprised that they didn't do this sooner. I wonder if I would live to see Americans abolish schools all together and revert to the Dark Ages, where the only teachings allowed are in Church grounds like they used to be?
Old 2011-10-04, 11:14   Link #786
Hollowgolem

It really is becoming sad to see these kids indoctrinated and ruined, essentially limited by their parents' need for stability and control in what they can do with their lives because of the poor education they're receiving.

And, of course, as the article points out, used as tools by political opportunists.

But I think the sadder part is the loss of intellectual sovereignty and genuine curiosity these kids suffer because of the leash on which their young and developing minds are kept. Some home-schooling is a-okay. I know plenty of people who live in bad districts, etc. who are really trying to provide a good education to their kids. But so often, home-schooling becomes "teach my children only things that agree with my worldview, brainwash them into believing that all evidence that contradicts what I've told them is a lie."

That's a sad reality, especially in Middle America.
Hollowgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 11:16   Link #787
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:

Reading that made me realize

Kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 13:31   Link #788
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Keep in mind not all homeschooling is driven by religious underpinning, there's quite a large secular homeschool movement in the US as well. My wife and I actually homeschooled our oldest his last year or two in highschool part time (some school, some home) because the public school was utterly failing to address his attention-deficit diagnosis. I fully support a public school system... but not one that has been starved by anti-tax hooligans, damaged by administrative idiocy, and hogtied by union protection of bad teachers... well, you end up trying to protect your own.
Old 2011-10-05, 19:39   Link #789
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Sarah Palin says she will not run for president in 2012
Old 2011-10-05, 19:45   Link #790
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well that is one more question answered.
Old 2011-10-05, 22:35   Link #791
solomon

That was known for like a year.

A skirt isn't winning the highest seat in America and you can make more money on the talk show and book hawking route anyways.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 23:21   Link #792
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post

A skirt isn't winning the highest seat in America and you can make more money on the talk show and book hawking route anyways.
I think the medical term is 'narcissist'. The celebrity news are full of people with this condition.
Old 2011-10-05, 23:25   Link #793
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
It was known from the moment she betrayed Alaska and abandoned her post that Palin was never going to run for the Presidency...in 2012 at least.

Still, it would have been fun to see her in the debates...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 23:49   Link #794
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Still would have voted for Elizabeth Dole.
Old 2011-10-06, 00:58   Link #795
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:

*reads article*

*facepalms*

You guys need any EEs over there in Singapore?
Old 2011-10-06, 02:04   Link #796
GundamFan0083

Quote:

Reuters is full of shit.
I know many, many CSU professors (who are as left as it gets) who homeschool their kids because the US Public fool system is a cesspool right now.
The Reuters article is basically dissing all the Liberals, Libertarians (many of whom are atheists), Independents, and Progressives who homeschool their kids.

Best read this article if you want to know why people across the political spectrum are homeschooling:

The State of Education in the United States: Why America is Behind Other Countries | Suite101.com
http://mary-faler.suite101.com/the-s...#ixzz1ZyxE5HKX
Old 2011-10-06, 07:42   Link #797
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
*reads article*

*facepalms*

You guys need any EEs over there in Singapore?
YES WE DO. If you can outdo those China imports and the local yes-men who can't write proper engineering proposals, build proper machines yet still get good positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post

Reuters is full of shit.
I know many, many CSU professors (who are as left as it gets) who homeschool their kids because the US Public fool system is a cesspool right now.
The Reuters article is basically dissing all the Liberals, Libertarians (many of whom are atheists), Independents, and Progressives who homeschool their kids.

Best read this article if you want to know why people across the political spectrum are homeschooling:

The State of Education in the United States: Why America is Behind Other Countries | Suite101.com
http://mary-faler.suite101.com/the-s...#ixzz1ZyxE5HKX
I do understand that point, but generally I don't really support permanent or long-term homeschooling because it doesn't teach the kid how to learn lifeskills through experience (especially clique politics - a skill required in any workforce).

Reuters is making the counterpoint when most US news articles (bought out by lousy businessmen who don't understand that competition creates wealth instead of monopoly) are supporting their opposing point - it is just a writeup in an opposite direction but none of them are 100% right.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 13:19   Link #798
solomon

Meh seriously considering abstaining my vote unless it's a sure thing that the GOP will take over.

This milionare's tax is pure politicking, the Dems likely KNOW it won't do crap for the economy. What's more the Dems are too limpdicked to really make the anti-wall street sentiment into a full fledged push for change. Partially because that would include restructuring the tax code so that a variety of frozen tax cuts/breaks will be phased out.

GOP hasn't said a thing I haven't heard for the past 10 years, and they aren't answering how you're going to fix the educational system and infrastructure.

Blech, if Obama makes it into another run the congress will likely stay in stalemate mode so there is not much to look forward to.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 16:42   Link #799
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The real solutions have to be found in Congress, not in the Presidency. Americans need to elect new Congressmen.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 22:31   Link #800
Xion Valkyrie

The new congressmen would still end up being corporate puppets.

If we were a much smaller country we could probably get a new set of independent activists into congress like Germany did with their Pirate Party earlier this year.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 elections, us elections