Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-04-05, 18:22   Link #101
Yamato Nadeshiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that there should be safeguards against giftias committing such actions regardless of their personality/memory. Would be kinda ridiculous if there aren't.

The easiest thing I can think of would be the giftias spilling private information to random people... it's not that hard to think of some bad drawbacks with corrupted memory data but it would be greatly appreciated if the show itself established what kind of problems they do.
I think they will bewray it sooner 'r later.

I myself hath question wherefore they ne'd to terminate them. They couldst hast just"copy" it to a new"memory storage device", and reinsert it back. I believe that would hast solve the problem if the source of the problem is the overlapping memories in the physical memory that is keep on being ov'r written by the years.
Yamato Nadeshiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 19:29   Link #102
Eater of All
NOM

I find it interesting that a Giftia is compelled to pee in the first place. Are they so realistic that they can't even control their body's functions? Can they also eat and digest solid food?
Old 2015-04-05, 20:14   Link #103
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

I'm wondering if Isla hasn't already lost her memory. She seemed to have no idea of what to do during the retrieval. That leap off the balcony was hilarious, especially the change in her facial expression as she started falling. Like "oh shit, what now..."
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 20:27   Link #104
Yamato Nadeshiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
I'm wondering if Isla hasn't already lost her memory. She seemed to have no idea of what to do during the retrieval. That leap off the balcony was hilarious, especially the change in her facial expression as she started falling. Like "oh shit, what now..."
I feel that she's starting to disintegrate herself. She's been in the business f'r quite sometime already. Remember the elevat'r scene, she suppos'd to be not having that emotions, I think, plus, she's starting to hast doubts by the way she acts based in what I saw in their last two customers.
Old 2015-04-05, 20:43   Link #105
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Stealth prequel to Blade Runner, calling it now.

The writer better have a damn good reason why the personality data can't be copied.
Blade Runner made sense because everything was run by a mega corporation and it was cyberpunk dystopia. So far the political setting of Plastic Memories doesn't seem too far removed from our current situation, and I can't see the majority of the population and the scientific community allowing the creation of what is the equivalent of a replicants to be legalized.

Ep 1 was pretty well directed though, and the art and animation worked well in conjunction. Isla is totally moe overload. The humor does seem a bit out of place, especially at the end.

Last edited by Esclair; 2015-04-05 at 20:53.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 21:16   Link #106
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

All I can think about watching this was Mom from Mom's Friendly Robot Company and she hit her 3 boys
Old 2015-04-05, 23:39   Link #107
rladls2121

What is this?
This is like a demon contract?
Not knowing what conspiracy the system itself was, beneficial was all we cared, not thinking about unfair price, and in the end feeling regrets.

That's right, from back then I decided to not to drink much at all.
Too much drinking often makes me go to the restroom in an inconvenient situation.

Tsukasa in the beginning of the episode, in the elevator, maybe that Giftia could not hold the pee much longer, I m guessing that was why she was in tears and she denied that encounter back then when Tsukasa asked her about that.

But then Michiru, definitely it was more human than any other Giftias that's for sure.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-05, 23:52   Link #108
Yamato Nadeshiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
But then Michiru, definitely it was more human than any other Giftias that's for sure.
A Giftia's life span is 9 years. Michiru is 17 years old. She's human.
Old 2015-04-05, 23:53   Link #109
rladls2121

Sorry I was mistaken.
I forgot that Tsukasa was a year older than her too.
No wonder Michiru was also seems to be surprised at Isia's stunts.

Michiru's Casting Voice, to think she is taking this kind of role, it was rather obvious.
The voice is strong and adult sounding but I like the loli ones more interesting though.

Last edited by rladls2121; 2015-04-06 at 00:16.
Old 2015-04-06, 00:18   Link #110
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

For a show about androids, it's ok I guess. I still feel for the people who's losing their loved androids, but couldn't care less about the androids themselves. So while I did feel bad for the grandma, I say good riddance to that loli robot lol.

Overall, I just can't help but feel that this is a Mahoromatic ripoff. Sure the stories can't be anymore different, but the underlying premise of androids with a very limited lifespan tells me it's going to end in a very similar note. And considering I didn't really think much of Mahoromatic, I'm not too keen on this anime either.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 00:22   Link #111
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor View Post
I thought this was overall a disappointing first episode, not because of the story but because of the writing and direction. This story deserves better handling than what was shown here. The mix of drama and comedy would have been better served with a lighter touch. This felt too forced on both sides, lacking any finesse. Hopefully, the production team will settle on a more nuanced approach in coming episodes. If this continues with the same heavy handed approach, I'll probably drop it.

For me, the story here at the beginning reminds me of a blend of Blade Runner and Mahoromatic because of the reminder at the end of each episode.
Absolutely agree on all fronts, and it's nice to see a mention of Mahoromatic because it seems these days too few viewers realize just what a pioneer it was with this sort of premise.

A lighter touch would have been welcome in every sense - the comedy, the drama, the direction. It's a very good idea very indifferently executed with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 00:32   Link #112
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

depending on how they do future eps, every episode and the overarching story may rip out a piece of your soul. i think we all have theories regarding Isla, but we'll need a few more eps of evidence before conclusions can be drawn.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 00:35   Link #113
rladls2121

But then all these goodbyes.
Reminds me about Yugi and his friends not wanting Atem to leave.
This is one of laws I m unsatisfied with this possibility of separation.
And one of them even thought of running away with the Giftias.
Because the cell phone contract two or three years to upgrade into a new one is unbearable in this case.

Making relationship and growing just to be separated at the end.
Even though it is expected, and it was something like they had a serious cancer, then no longer be able to....
Old 2015-04-06, 01:02   Link #114
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Absolutely agree on all fronts, and it's nice to see a mention of Mahoromatic because it seems these days too few viewers realize just what a pioneer it was with this sort of premise.
To be fair though, Mahoromatic seemed just like an extension of Multi. IIRC Multi was probably the biggest game changing heroine of the era; so to give credit where it's due, it's actually To Heart which was the real pioneer of this sort of premise.

Yeah, now I'm remembering why I have such disdain for the android heroine... seriously, #!@ Multi because Akari 4eva!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 04:01   Link #115
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Don't worry, even cats screw up sometimes.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 04:18   Link #116
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Oh, right, this video! I've instantly remembered it when I saw that scene for the 1st time!
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 06:25   Link #117
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Of course the cut-off point is deliberately chosen. Just because it's deliberately chosen doesn't mean it's automatically "suspicious". Who knows, perhaps the rate of defects with potentially harmful consequences increases exponentially after a certain number of hours so they chose 81.920 as a standardised shut-off point to prevent any accidents. As a company one thing you don't want is to get a lawsuit on your hands. Especially not in the United States.
Well as long as they warn about it in the manual... kidding

But nah 81920 seems a bit strange, they also mostly talk about it like its definite that from that time on they will start causing problems; Theoretically there would have to be cases where its less than that time as well as cases where its more.

Ad US:
Well yeah, damage compensation in the US is incredibly high for some reason, and either courts or the people sueing seem to have no common sense either.

- Really who the heck seriously belives that an energy drink could grow you wings ><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
I know of the stories about devices being built to break down after about 2-3 years. Though, while 9 years isn't all that much in terms of human lifespan, for a product it is sufficiently long. Depending on how the technology looks like in the Plastic Memories world the storage space and processing powers needed to handle 9 years of continuous service and accumulated data can be significant.
My grandmother has a washing mashine thats older than me, after almost 30 years of runrime that mashines lifetime seems to come to an end :/.
Honestly tough i'd be surprised if my washing mashine wouldn't break before it

As for the memories well, there shouldn't be a need to handle 9 years worth of memories.
When asking people here on the forums what they had to eat on the 10th of jannuary 2014 most of them would have no idea at all.
The human brain constantly filters unecessary information and deletes it. - We wouldn't be able to handle 9 years of life in detail either.

The big hint here is imho that the old woman was offered to 'upgrade' the OS.
Basically that means they'd leave the gifta as it is and just install windows 8 instead of windows 7, so it can't be that the parts are just worn out.

Related speculation in that regard btw
Spoiler for Speculation; Isla & expiration dates:

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 08:29   Link #118
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Basically that means they'd leave the gifta as it is and just install windows 8 instead of windows 7, so it can't be that the parts are just worn out.
I got that she'd get a brand new, different Giftia. Like when you upgrade a PC, you don't really get to keep old hardware, you upgrade the specs. I don't think she'd be making such a fuss if her Giftia just went to the doctor to get some flu shots.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 09:05   Link #119
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I got that she'd get a brand new, different Giftia. Like when you upgrade a PC, you don't really get to keep old hardware, you upgrade the specs. I don't think she'd be making such a fuss if her Giftia just went to the doctor to get some flu shots.
No, in the OS upgrade option the body stays the same. It, however, is a reset plus OS upgrade. Meaning all the accumulated memories plus the personality of the Giftia is erased in a first process. So while the body is still the same, the mind is completely new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
I don't see how this is a hint that something sinister is going on. To stay with the Windows example, it is common knowledge that a PC will slow down with the passing of time because of everything that the system accumulates. Once you perform an OS wipe and reinstall Windows, the PC is - unless the hardware has been worn out - as fast as ever. From what I got, my impression is that the software part becomes unstable and therefore the Giftia needs to be shut down.
Old 2015-04-06, 09:08   Link #120
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Apparently they said 'OS' which means operating system.
basically her Windows/Linux, if you want to put it that way.

The reason she made a fuss was that upgrading the OS would not only have also erased the girl's memories (she might have imho been able to deal with that), but also her personality.
So even if they upgraded her OS, she would be an entirely different person, just looking like the girl the old woman called her grandchild.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
love triangle, sci-fi, tragedy