AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2017-07-25, 12:32   Link #241
fishstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope
Testament of Sister New Devil at least had a semi decent plot...

This series was trash.
Shinmai does have a better plot but (imo) Slave Harem's story isn't complete "shit"

the biggest difference is the latter is written poorly in comparison to the more popular series to date

that and the plot of Slave Harem itself reads like a grindfest that has no real direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkofficer View Post
you compare a series with characters with a series with blank paper
I'd like to think I was comparing a series with a generic plot + hentai to another

my biggest complaint of Shinmai is the "hentai" in it is too forced and the openness of it in its story because took away from the plotline it does have

(the above does not pertain to Volume 10 material as the author does manipulate the plot in such a way that their "sexy time" is less forced and more as an actual reason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm
Testament's characters have personalities
but Shinmai is hardly a character driven series

because most of the them have the standard generic trope

Mio is the busty newbie demon girl who is a closeted sex freak - hardly original

Maria is the loli over-sexed succubus - cmon now

Yuki is the now hottie childhood sweetheart in love with the MC

Kurumi starts off in a rather unique position but quickly folds into the plot as Maria's sidekick with a touch of MC longing syndrome

Zest is the classic antagonist who falls for the MC

and Chisato... well she is the hot teacher trope with some "incest" thrown in there for good measure (plot of this is a later reveal from what anime shows)

all in all - Shinmai is your standard 2-3 episode hentai series stretched over 11 Volumes worth of material

however, do not take what I have said above as me slamming the series

the truth is I like Testament of Sister New Devil

it is a guilty pleasure

and anime was decent enough --even though I would say it is borderline hentai with really poor "hentai" scenes-- and the OST for it was great for showing the climatic scenes in the LN

LN is a bit better overall since it stretches the story out at a different pace than what the anime gave us but (imo) it was not anything truly spectacular

(edit reasons: corrected typos and had to finish my thoughts on the matter - I had to leave earlier to go back to work lolz)

Last edited by fishstick; 2017-07-25 at 16:22.
fishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-25, 12:40   Link #242
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Those are character archetypes
Nothing can escape from archetypes nowadays since there is already so many series in existence

You can simplify all of them as : Red-haired Tsundere or White-haired Kuudere
But personality is a separate matter from archetypes

In Slave Harem, only Sherry the dwarf has personality
Everyone else, except MC, are NPCs
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-25, 14:28   Link #243
Corvo269

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^Those are character archetypes
Nothing can escape from archetypes nowadays since there is already so many series in existence

You can simplify all of them as : Red-haired Tsundere or White-haired Kuudere
But personality is a separate matter from archetypes

In Slave Harem, only Sherry the dwarf has personality
Everyone else, except MC, are NPCs
I agree with taiga on this one. Every character is gonna be put into an archetype regardless cause there's just too many. What you can do is give the character personality, or character development. Or personal events that shape them.

I mean Midoriya can basically be put under hero loving otaku. But what's great about the character is using his otaku research to its fullest to get as much mileage he can from his limited body.

Naofumi is basically greedy, revenge hungry tsundere but he's also much more than that. You get glimpses of his life back in Japan. How he was doing way better than the preconceptions you'd have on him.

The only time character archetypes can go fuck themselves is Joseph Joestar. He is the original owner of the almighty PLOT ARMOR. Able to avoid any kind of backlash from characters, and from fans.
No matter how atrocious he gets.
Run away from killer vampire you blew to bits. Oh Joseph, creator of the joestar secret technique.
Spying on your own mom naked. Oh Joseph
Running away from the climatic showdown. Oh Joseph
Crashing every single plane you ever touched. Oh Joseph
Attending your own funeral. Oh Joseph
Cheating on your wife at the age of 61. Oh Joseph

Last edited by Corvo269; 2017-07-25 at 16:33.
Corvo269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-25, 14:32   Link #244
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Yes, yes, exactly like that
Old 2017-07-31, 19:15   Link #245
fishstick

another raw chapter is out

it is titled 3-2 on the site
Old 2017-07-31, 21:48   Link #246
Kaito Yamakage

Scary example magician.
Old 2017-08-01, 11:37   Link #247
VooXoo

We altready talked about this, this novel have nothing unique or really interesting, it simply a slice of life in a world with no events, as the MC actually wished for.
For some reason it got readers, boring and all we still stick to it.
VooXoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-01, 13:42   Link #248
Kaito Yamakage

Yeah, IKR nothing new here. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to find a new RO server to play for the 700th time.

If author wants to avoid the 4+ month inactivity warning there should be a new chapter here pretty soon though... Totally forgot where things were at though luckily the author realized the readers forgot as well and has included a recap summary at the start of every chapter for a while now.
Old 2017-08-01, 14:04   Link #249
wuhugm
Confused Shark

It's just like Smartphone anime, nothing special, it doesn't make me smart, but it doesn't make me angry either. No harm in just watching.
Old 2017-08-30, 16:09   Link #250
VooXoo

the manga adaption seems to be decent, good.
I'm really starting to think that sex beast job will evolve in something able to overcome the race barrier, it would be sad otherway.
Old 2017-08-30, 16:11   Link #251
Breimn

New wn ch out btw. Still nothing happening.
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-30, 16:52   Link #252
Fufufu
Doffy

The knight woman that appeared at the very beginning ch.3 I think will she be a part of his harem or will she make another appearance?
Fufufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-01, 10:14   Link #253
VooXoo

I think the only time she reappered was when MC brought some bounties again and erased the chance of revenge on him, I think it was only 2 times, the dungeon and cave bandits, so he meet her 3 times, if she delvered the money every time.
She brushed him off and was in a bad mood because he killing the high level bandit at the start had destroyed the balance in the area. But then MC used his appraisal for finding the other bandits in the zone.
Read it a long time ago, some parts could be wrong.
I think if MC will take a companion for leaving a heir it would be a free person that loves him or he get forced as match from some noble or a beatiful slave for keeping the house clean.
The author is the type to put new stuff at his own decision so sex maniac being able to break the race walll isn't so absurd, he could even be the first to actually do it because other people are unable to get enough exp or need some achievement(possibly having a sex with many races).
But the 1st hotel manager was at a very high level so only doing a job probably accumulate exp.
We'll see, the author hinted the possiblity in the lastest chapters.
Old 2017-09-01, 10:37   Link #254
Rasty

^ A actually suspected this from the moment the fact about offspring between races being impossible + the sex maniac job got introduced. It just makes for a rather nice ending (because otherwise the relationships get hollow and the human X human ones are gonna overshadow the other).

As for this series not being unique, I would object to this. It's largely caused by most other series being built on top of this one than this one doing the template (it's fairly old). But yeah, it had little direction, to begin with (I did not mind the grinding fest, being accompanied by cooking instead of a plot was bad though) and once it got LN it's slow, short promotional updates were seriously not worth reading.

Actually, anyone reading the LN? It should have run out of material by now, right? Is it getting new original chapters?
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-01, 16:36   Link #255
VooXoo

I just checked and the novel is a 7 volumes, I remember when I left this seire a year ago to accumulate chapters the 6th was out.
From the covers the 6th should be when Miria joined the party, so it will take a long time for it to reach, gotta pass by Vesta and then Ritina.
Only 1 volume out makes me think for the worse, after all they already have the material, but the manga is good, strange.
And we don't know if the plot was changed to make it more entertaining in the LN, add chara or plot twists.
Old 2017-09-03, 08:37   Link #256
VooXoo

I didn't read the TL novel in ore than a year and only a few chapters got translated...at least a new raw was released a few days ago, at this pace chapter 221 will be next year.
This booths gift arc is a bit weird, can't Michio bring one girl with him and make so she wants the booths in the shop? Thinking on it a bit more should reveal a solution to him, but he is only good at renundant thinking and useless stuff, with some rare moments of genius...
Old 2017-11-27, 13:05   Link #257
fishstick

whoa boy, 5-2 had Michio being a savage

I don't remember that happening in the WN
Old 2017-12-07, 07:35   Link #258
VooXoo

Manga port always change something, I just hope it will have less repetition and Michio being a little smarter.

I recently started to read Jobless Isekai...is really similar to Slave Harem.

MC is unfit in his original world, MC have the power to switch Job/Class at will and uses it for making super combo, MC can change XP gain, 1st follower is a beast girl slave with excellent nose and dexterity + battle hungry, 2nd follower is a eternal loli with brains.

There are some other things but minor, these are the ones the stuck out most.
Wonder who copied who.
Old 2017-12-07, 07:41   Link #259
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^That one copied this obviously

MC even has 20x and 1/20 EXP skills too
Not so much grinding for that so it's not boring though

Carol from that basically carbon copy of Shelly the dwarf here
But in here Michio boinked her without much thought
Shame on you Ichinojou
Old 2017-12-07, 07:43   Link #260
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

Manga art is 1000x better than light novel...

Tags
cheat, furry, harem, level system, slave